What's new

Making Random Stage Select Tournament Standard?

O no I just got bodied by Kabal on rooftop day, let me opt for a new random level. *random selects second largest stage*
No one sticks with the same character long enough for back and forth stage switching anyway.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
When it comes to stages, MK9 should get the 3D game treatment, where its absurd for the idea of picking stages to be viable, as the advantage is so great for some chars. Many top players have said they feel that certain matchups change on some stages, which supports this point further.
it's different when you have things like ring outs and asymmetrical stages with obstacles and other shit.

The only difference between stages in this game is that the longest stage (Rooftop Day) is 1.6 times longer than the shortest stage (Hell).

Get real people.

EDIT: I need to stop trying to intervene in community QQ's...

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
it's different when you have things like ring outs and asymmetrical stages with obstacles and other shit.

The only difference between stages in this game is that the longest stage (Rooftop Day) is 1.6 times longer than the shortest stage (The Pit).

Get real people.

EDIT: I need to stop trying to intervene in community QQ's...
Fixed.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I'd just personally just play on a medium sized stage, one that has no lag and gives an equal chance to zoners and rushdown characters. Save the drama...I mean seriously we have to have a coin flip and rock, paper, scissors to determine who gets what at majors?
I agree with that. This game is fucking ridiculous as is. If it was just the varied stage sizes, then fine, that'd be cool; obviously that exists in various FGs. However we also get to inherent Nintendo's P1 advantage and flip a damn coin...oh and the fact that button check still takes like 10 minutes. Maybe it's just that people are naive and haven't played a game such as SCV without all this excessive bullshit? I don't know. I think it's a waste of time though with MK, I don't see the problem with simplifying one aspect of it.

NKZero

Noob
No.

It makes the meta game of tournament play more dynamic and interesting.

Organize your own tournament with these homogenized rules. I won't be there.
I disagree but it's your opinion man...I'm not going to slate you for it. Also just saying that with any opponent that I play in a tournament, I would prefer it if we both settled for the stage that was already auto selected. I'm not saying that stage choosing is a gargantuan difference but it still affects the gameplay so why should one player be at slight advantage. The winner should be based on skill level not with a side helping of extra length (or shorter if you play Cage, Sub etc.)

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
see what I did there? it's the same principle.

If you lose, you get to give yourself a slight advantage by picking the stage. How is that objectionable let alone unfair
it's not the same principle. the corner means a LOT in this game for most of the cast. i know it's just a difference of length but when the corner is as important as it is, you absolutely shouldn't be able to pick the stage unless agreed upon. no other competitive game ever has let the stage be chosen without both players agreeing on it; even in games like SF4 where top players have objected to play on certain stages because of distractions in the background.

on a personal level, please note that i don't give a fuck about what stage i play on, but it's extremely evident that a lot of players do and it really shouldn't be an issue. this game should've been 'random stage unless agreed upon/loser can roulette for a new random stage' the instant it was discovered that each stage has a different length, just like every single other legitimate fighting game has ever done.

Tolkeen

/wrists
This weekend at SBSS, i will do coin flips with winner choses 1p or stage. We'll test this out before we say it "wont work".
Does that mean p2 always gets to pick the stage? Or that the loser picks the stage? (after the initial coin flip of course)

Tim Static

Adminerator
Does that mean p2 always gets to pick the stage? Or that the loser picks the stage? (after the initial coin flip of course)
It means that whomever wins a coin flip decides if they want p1 or they want to select stage. By selecting the stage, they give the other player P1.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
I guess it was fair. Personally, I think Courtyard Day should be standard for all tourney matches. Medium sized, symmetrical, and easy to see everything going on. Sounds balanced to me.

I'm not sure if it was fair or not. There are situations where player 2 can counterpick stages to player 1's character counterpicks. It's lame.

Soonk's idea is best. Courtyard Day.

GGA Wafflez

the kid
Smoke has problems doing corner combos on certain maps... I will post a video eventually... showing what i mean... soonk and others know what i am talking about. luckily, non of the stages that actually matter in "countering" affect smoke... (rooftop, pit, courtyard)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I don't care about P1 or P2. I use Freddy. My defense sucks, P1 or not. LOL. Stages select is more important.