What's new

Make or Break list for MK X

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
safe divekicks?
Kl's dive kick unsafe AF.
Bladams dk -21
KL's divekick has no recovery if it whiffs which is super dumb and allows KL to be birdy as fuck. It can also be made safe if it hits low enough.

BA's regular DK is -15 on block and still hard AF to punish because of the pushback. (NW for example has only a 1-frame window to punish if he was in Escrima)
And his MB DK is +gazillion ofc on block.

KL's divekick has no recovery if it whiffs which is super dumb and allows KL to be birdy as fuck. It can also be made safe if it hits low enough.

BA's regular DK is -15 on block and still hard AF to punish because of the pushback. (NW for example has only a 1-frame window to punish if he was in Escrima)
And his MB DK is +gazillion ofc on block.
What you're saying about the low divekick only works if kung lao has to waste a bar of meter and at any time the opponent walks forward or backwards it can get messed up and full combo punished. No one uses it. The divekick is part of his game, it is punishable on block what more do you want.

coolwhip

Noob
Most of Kung Lao's gameplay is built around being able to use divekick to (relatively) safely move around (I say relatively because in certain positions you can actually dash forward and block + punish in anticipation of a whiffed dive kick). If he didn't have that all he'd have is unreliable pressure/pokes and a hella unsafe teleport. And before someone points it out, yes, he'd still be better than a lot of characters but he would really suffer. Kung Lao, as good as he is, is a pretty well designed, balanced character (balanced doesn't mean he's not super top tier). He's got a lot of horseshit, but there are universal ways to get around them: Standing 2 is beaten by low pokes, spin is hella punishable on whiff/block, dive kick is punishable on block, teleport is super punishable (especially as players learned to fight him more and more). He really doesn't have anything that's a terror to deal with, but he's got a full package that makes him super good.

He's a mobility character. And he's pretty unsafe. Making his mobility further unsafe would be pretty silly.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Most of Kung Lao's gameplay is built around being able to use divekick to (relatively) safely move around (I say relatively because in certain positions you can actually dash forward and block + punish in anticipation of a whiffed dive kick). If he didn't have that all he'd have is unreliable pressure/pokes and a hella unsafe teleport. And before someone points it out, yes, he'd still be better than a lot of characters but he would really suffer. Kung Lao, as good as he is, is a pretty well designed, balanced character (balanced doesn't mean he's not super top tier). He's got a lot of horseshit, but there are universal ways to get around them: Standing 2 is beaten by low pokes, spin is hella punishable on whiff/block, dive kick is punishable on block, teleport is super punishable (especially as players learned to fight him more and more). He really doesn't have anything that's a terror to deal with, but he's got a full package that makes him super good.

He's a mobility character. And he's pretty unsafe. Making his mobility further unsafe would be pretty silly.
Agreed 100%. My opinion is as useless as a dog's fart, but Kung Lao is the most complete and best designed fighter in MK9. His should be the ideal for future MK games, from a balance standpoint.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
That's what he means by guessing... reads are essentially educated guesses.
It's not the same thing, though. His statements implied guessing as you would a vortex or a 50/50 situation.

The Post Doomsday-Shoulder meta is more about being able to predict habits, noticing patterns, and knowing your best option vs. their best option. If what I have described doesn't require fundamentals, I'm not sure what does.

It's not the same thing, though. His statements implied guessing as you would a vortex or a 50/50 situation.

The Post Doomsday-Shoulder meta is more about being able to predict habits, noticing patterns, and knowing your best option vs. their best option. If what I have described doesn't require fundamentals, I'm not sure what does.
Like I said those are educated guesses. It requires good adaption skills, but at the end of the day it still has a random factor in it. Not saying if that is good or bad, but it is what it is.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face

What you're saying about the low divekick only works if kung lao has to waste a bar of meter and at any time the opponent walks forward or backwards it can get messed up and full combo punished. No one uses it. The divekick is part of his game, it is punishable on block what more do you want.
I wish Kung Lao's dive kick was safe.
Yeah well I admit it was mostly my salt talking. Fuck it I just hate those two characters.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I just hope MKX has fluid movement. I thought Injustice was slow and clunky, which is a turn off for me. Lets bump up the walk speed a tad for MKX and get a slightly faster game going.

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
People who were bad at Mortal Kombat vs people who are bad at Injustice
People who were good at Mortal Kombat vs people who are good at Injustice

Honestly, there's probably an even number between those groups and

People who were bad at Mortal Kombat vs people who are good at Injustice
People who were good at Mortal Kombat vs people who are bad at Injustice

Two different games, two different mechanics. Everyone in this thread needs to just let people play games they enjoy and join Team Soup.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/team-soup-welcome-to-the-kingdom.44907/

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
i know its hard, but you could just ignore the trolls/haters. i know exactly how hard it is, and sometimes you can't help it, but i see it like this, if you let a troll get to you and it makes you not want to come back and post on the site, then its your own damn fault in the first place. that's why i have never said i will leave TYM, because i know that haters exist in the world, and am not self righteous enough to proclaim myself above hate and to avoid it at all cause (not calling you or anyone self righteous). it seems to me that you let the trolls dictate how good or bad everything is when we know 99% of the time its inevitable that you will have people who hate.

I can't think of many things that would make me give up on MKX entirely, though I can certainly think of a few changes from MK9 that would make things a lot more enjoyable:

* Safe, armoured launchers are pretty ridiculous. No move should have more than two of those three properties.
* Ideally, no guaranteed combos over 50% (maybe 60% if the corner is involved).
* Let every move have an EN version this time, please. The handful of MK9 special moves that didn't have an EN version just seemed lazily tacked on (thinking especially of Kitana's Fake-Out Kick which never actually fakes out anyone, lol).
* No characters like Kenshi who 2-8 something like half the cast, and even those who do OK against him have to work ridiculously hard to get any damage in.
* Safe 50-50s I don't actually mind too much, as long as the reward isn't too high i.e. no risk-free juggles.

As said, even if every single one of these was defied, I'd still play it. It'd take something ultra-ridiculous such as, say, a variation that goes 7-3/8-2 against the entire cast, or 75% meterless combos, to get me to abandon it entirely.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
lol can't wait to see a character with an op air to air jumping around like a rabbit because it grants a 45%
Dealing with jumpers around in MK fishing for a combo was never a problem. There was jump kick, teleports, neutral jump punch, jabs that anti air, armor, air projectile, dive kicks, uppercuts to bait bunnies.

The only one that came to mind were Ermac players trying to win air to air combos even faking his levitate to fish for combos because his strings were ass on low hitbox characters.

Back to my point, air to air combo damage increase would be good for all characters. In MK, there were characters who have low damage output from air to airs which makes no sense while there were other characters who gained more from air to air combos like Scorpion vortex, Kitana fans which can add EX unbreakable, Ermac teleport, Skarlet reset, Sonya MS 50/50, Cyrax, Smoke resest, Quan Chi Rune Trap.

I do see your point though but look at the awful characters in MK who were bad by design with air to airs Kano, Sheeva, Jade, Sindel, Nightwolf, Baraka, Rain, CSZ, Stryker, Noob...

Your assumption with air to airs comes from Injustice experience? That is an entirely different game with mechanics that involves movement clunky some say, walk speed, risky dashing, preemptive jumps substitute anti airs, trip guard, interactables, background bounce, universal armor B3/F3 and it required a different player set of skills. Mortal Kombat air to airs is unique to the game's design and mechanics.

REAL TALK INCOMING #YEEEAAAPPP:
Ok so when IGAU came out, I was feeling very optimistic that I would be doing very well from the jump (like in mk9). So I went to my first tournament and went 0 and 2.......
So I am thinking, what the hell went wrong? I decided it was character choice and switched to black adam. I got top 16 with him at evo so I felt I found my character and igau and I was really getting into the game. That was until TFC came up and I didn't get out of pools for the first time in my tournament career.
I was at a loss for words. So I was like: what is the issue?, why am I having so many problems doing well at tournaments?
I am not going to lie I have complained about the game's mobility, normals, anti airs, footsies, etc. multiple times at home (DJT can confirm this lol). Anyways I decided MMH would be my character so I hit the grind with him.
SCR comes up and I am feeling like a top 8 is due for me. When my first match comes up I have to play MPT (Mashpotatotower) and I am feeling very confident. Sure enough I get body bagged lol. At that point I was like whatever I will just go AM and see how it goes. Sure enough, I go on a roll and get out of pools in losers side but then sajam took me out :p.
I then decided that AM would work for me (even tho I didn't like him as much as I did DS and etc., I gave him a shot). In about 2 weeks, I decide to main DS and play my favorite character.
MLG anaheim comes up and I am rdy to go. I trained very hard and felt that after a top 16 at SCR, mlg would be my time for top 8. I played gross first match and he took me out 3 1...... so I said screw it and went AM the rest of the way. I had a tough road, but I eventually found myself one match away from top 8 against Pig of the Hut. I really wanted that top 8, but @AK Pig Of The Hut got me 3 1. After the loss, I was fairly devastated because I was that close to a top 8, but it slipped from my grasp.
I didnt give up and I said actually that I felt evo would be my first top 8. I battled tough once evo day came and found myself in top 8 with my bro (which was a dream come true) and a bunch of other talented players and good friends (sonicfox, ppj, bit, pig, noobe, and theo).
Through all that Denzell always said to me "you are good at this game, just keep training and you will top 8" and he was right as I got 3rd at evo and had some really hype top 8 matches that I am sure the crowd enjoyed :).
Moral of story, even if things dnt go ur way in a fighting game and maybe u dnt even have the same passion for it as u did another one, just keep going at it and never give up and I believe u will find success.

Rude

Like I said those are educated guesses. It requires good adaption skills, but at the end of the day it still has a random factor in it. Not saying if that is good or bad, but it is what it is.
Not really, no. If Player B blocks Player A's Doomy Shoulder Charge, and he is more knowledgeable about which options beat out player A's, then the situation is in player B's favor. Match-up knowledge isn't random at all.

Also, based on what you're saying, I'm lead to believe that you believe that making reads is just guessing. In which case, ALL fighting games involve heavy amounts of guessing, not just Injustice and MB Shoulder Charge. So again, the point that "shoulder charge" is just guessing and doesn't belong in a fighting game makes absolutely no sense by your points as well.

how about we all just play what we have and stop bitching if you keep losing then you suck simple don't complain about the game being bad when its you that's bad have you noticed that everytime someone complained about characters in mk or inj shit got worse in the game with other characters because other characters wasn't even explored or played very well so then patches can along and then could possibly kill the game. ive never complained about how characters were broken I still play its the player that makes the difference that's all that matters it takes time and effort to create your mix ups/tech its up to you to trick your opponent but simple let netherrealm and pro players take care mkx to balance it

Actually, patches were good for the most part, it was dlc in general. The game might be pretty solid outside of fucking aquaman. Then again most of the chars bore me.

trufenix

bye felicia
is transformers an amazing movie because a lot of people watched it???

( i called cod competitively successful because it has a scene)
Is that a logical comparison in your brain? A bunch of people WATCHING transformers is exactly the same as tons of people PLAYING AND GETTING GOOD at CoD?

Is that a logical comparison in your brain? A bunch of people WATCHING transformers is exactly the same as tons of people PLAYING AND GETTING GOOD at CoD?
Yes actually it is... it is called appeal to majority... just because a lot of people do something or believe in something doesn't validate it. In fact its quite common in human interactions, the majority in one area of people might have believed a person was a witch in the middle ages or might deny the science of evolution in general. Just because a lot of people play call of duty frequently doesn't in my opinion validate it as a GOOD competitive game. I just thought my analogy might get the point across. If you want to argue the validity comparison anymore then provide me with an actual point debunking the comparison.

Not really, no. If Player B blocks Player A's Doomy Shoulder Charge, and he is more knowledgeable about which options beat out player A's, then the situation is in player B's favor. Match-up knowledge isn't random at all.

Also, based on what you're saying, I'm lead to believe that you believe that making reads is just guessing. In which case, ALL fighting games involve heavy amounts of guessing, not just Injustice and MB Shoulder Charge. So again, the point that "shoulder charge" is just guessing and doesn't belong in a fighting game makes absolutely no sense by your points as well.
well consider the fact that guessing isn't everything in some games, in some games it's about spacing and whiff punishment (which isn't pure guessing), the shoulder takes away this component to a high degree and reduces the game to guessing.

Rude

well consider the fact that guessing isn't everything in some games, in some games it's about spacing and whiff punishment (which isn't pure guessing), the shoulder takes away this component to a high degree and reduces the game to guessing.
You have to make reads in every fighter you play. So every fighter has an element of "guessing."

And MB Shoulder Charge isn't some completely random guessing situation. If you know the MU and your options vs. theirs, it's not the same as guessing "overhead/low."

Can you go read my posts again and stop putting words in my mouth, where did I say matchup knowledge was random? Reads are educated guesses, which makes them not that random. Also go read my very first post in this thread where I said shoulder charge isn't even that bad, where did you see me say shoulder charge shouldn't be in a fighting game.

And yes fighting games involves making reads/guessing, good job figuring that out.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
You have to make reads in every fighter you play. So every fighter has an element of "guessing."

And MB Shoulder Charge isn't some completely random guessing situation. If you know the MU and your options vs. theirs, it's not the same as guessing "overhead/low."
You guys are arguing semantics. "Guessing" has a negative connotation and the doomsday shoulder charge meta is more complex than, say, guessing to get out of batgirl's vortex but ultimately I do think it's fair to characterize it as a guessing game, albeit a more complicated one.

What I don't like about fighting doomsday is that the dd player can initiate this guessing game at will. In other games it requires more setup to put your opponent in a guessing game. SF has it's own flaws but I do like the lack of this type of tools. Characters like zangief need to very patiently walk themselves into mixup range - they can't just input one command to barrel themselves into your face at plus frames and start mixing you up.

To clarify - I think DD is ultimately fair bc the guessing game isn't really in his favor against a lot of characters. It's just annoying.