What's new

Li Mei General Discussion

rifraf

Noob
Yeah, the 50/50 after 22 can be frustrating but also keep in mind low eagle is not spammable. Plus, you have the option to armour through it if you feel is necessary. I've played dozens of Peacemakers in ranked already and I would say his force field feels a bit OP, it should have more recovery so it's punishable on reaction.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
B2 can be a bit finnicky, if you land a f43 and your okay with spending a bar. go for j212 ~bf1(ex), ji13~db4. you might be able to do it with 134~bf1(ex), I've only practice that one. This nets more damage but if you have particular reason to go for the latter combo feel free to go for it. for Example if you need (FB) to win the match.
Sorry but f43, ji212~bf1(ex), ji13~db4 does 380.76

f43, b3, 21~bf1(ex), ji134~db4 does 393.53

So I prefer to go for the combo I listed because it’s easier and does more damage.

f43, dash~b2~db2, db2, ji212~bf1(ex), ji13~db4 does 460.04, but is much higher execution.

Wigy

There it is...
Any advice for mileena matchup. Seems a horrid matchup. Just practicing the 12 FB to make it less nasty.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Any advice for mileena matchup. Seems a horrid matchup. Just practicing the 12 FB to make it less nasty.
I play Mileena. It is indeed a very bad matchup for Li Mei. Whatever you do, DONT try to zone her from fullscreen - Mileena can roll under the fireballs or teleport on reaction. Your best bet is to be in her face and try to pressure - perhaps even bait an armored attack from her when you are plus. Don't let her be midrange, because her strings will reach further than yours as well.

Wigy

There it is...
I play Mileena. It is indeed a very bad matchup for Li Mei. Whatever you do, DONT try to zone her from fullscreen - Mileena can roll under the fireballs or teleport on reaction. Your best bet is to be in her face and try to pressure - perhaps even bait an armored attack from her when you are plus. Don't let her be midrange, because her strings will reach further than yours as well.
its getting in her face thats the issue basically relegated to using f4 and praying.

Ball roll is probably the most annoying move in existence. You unblock for millisecond in neutral just happens to be when they randomly do it then eat 40%

rifraf

Noob
If the Mileena player knows the matchup, it's very difficult for Li Mei to do anything really. Personally, I play reactively hoping for a random ball roll or teleport and full combo punish her. It's a real struggle match.

Scorpion kameo is probably very bad against her. Maybe Kung Lao or something else could be better.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
its getting in her face thats the issue basically relegated to using f4 and praying.

Ball roll is probably the most annoying move in existence. You unblock for millisecond in neutral just happens to be when they randomly do it then eat 40%
A decent Mileena will only ball roll if the opponent tries do consistently backdash to fish for pokes, or something to that effect. You can maybe start baiting it. Otherwise, the random yolo ballroll is more than likely a death sentence. Abuse throws against Mileena whenever you can. I'd also say Khameleon is a better kameo than Scorpion in this match, as the pressure/safety/unpredictability of her moves are move useful than the superior damage of Scorpion - that you will only get if you open Mileena in the first place.

Wigy

There it is...
Mileena just feels unwinnable. Every li mei weakness is mileena strength. Feels like an 7-3 minimum, honestly i think its worse. Just played a mileena on khameleon, lao doesnt help at all. They do whatever they want all the time.

Feels horrible a super common and pretty easy character is just basically an automatic loss unless they’re trash

rifraf

Noob
Bad matchups for Li Mei/Scorpion I would say are Mileena, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Ashrah, Sindel, Kitana, Baraka, Tanya, Reiko, Peacemaker. All these can either outzone Li Mei and/or make her struggle upclose.

Her good matchup is against Nitara imo.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Bad matchups for Li Mei/Scorpion I would say are Mileena, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Ashrah, Sindel, Kitana, Baraka, Tanya, Reiko, Peacemaker. All these can either outzone Li Mei and/or make her struggle upclose.

Im curious about Baraka though. He has a decent projectile, but not so decent it makes it impossible for Li Mei to get in. I reckon Baraka's pressure is also nothing to write home about - basically 2,1 staggers into poke or poke-special and the occasional b3/f3. He is mad unsafe, unless you spend (heavy) resources on stryker/cyrax, while also having mediocre damage. Li Mei should be able to outstagger, out-pressure and outdamage Baraka all day.

rifraf

Noob
Im curious about Baraka though. He has a decent projectile, but not so decent it makes it impossible for Li Mei to get in. I reckon Baraka's pressure is also nothing to write home about - basically 2,1 staggers into poke or poke-special and the occasional b3/f3. He is mad unsafe, unless you spend (heavy) resources on stryker/cyrax, while also having mediocre damage. Li Mei should be able to outstagger, out-pressure and outdamage Baraka all day.
I'll admit, this may be a personal issue of mine. Having said that, Baraka's projectile is as good as Li Mei's which makes it tough to zone him out full screen. Mid screen, I feel Baraka is just better since he has better range throughout his kit. Up close, he is a 50/50 machine which I personally hate :D

Wigy

There it is...

Agree with all except lao and baraka.

I havent had issues in those matchups.

Cancer matchups for me

mileena- feels like 7-3
Peacemaker- 7-3
Reiko- at least 6-4
Tanya is also horrible but havent played enough tanyas to know exactly how bad.

Ashrah is just stupid and overtuned, saving grace for li mei is shes one of the few characters that can challenge her f2, as f4 slides under. You can somewhat control pace with zoning

Kitanas stupid long reach mid just 0 brain required bullies li mei, you have to take giant risk to take your turn. She outzones, has better normals and better zoning. Kitanas kit is just better in mostly every way except she hasnt got anything like 124 for pressure.

i feel like the criteria for a bad Li Mei matchup is

-long reaching fast pokes
-long reaching strings
-good pressure strings that leave you at a range that you cant counterpoke with her stubby normals after blocking.
-ways to counter her zoning
-safe armour

basically force her to approach and then have normals to stuff the approach.

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
Anyone got advice for the optimal j134db4-U+K extension with scorpion. Only combo i cant do consistently

rifraf

Noob
@Pan1cMode You guys should take a look at SonicFox's latest gameplay video with Li Mei. Granted, he's not maining her but he's still the best MK player in the world. Some observations. He uses Khameleon and his dmg output is probably the worst I've seen in the game from any character at 22% average. He never uses db3/EXdb3 outside of a combo because it clearly sucks and EXdb3 punish is a myth, he rarely uses iairdb4 and when he does it he gets full combo punished. He mostly plays neutral, zoning, and the usual Khameleon shenanigans.

Thoughts?

Wigy

There it is...
Just discovered you can land air BF1 on not tall characters.

jump back and before you hit the ground input a JIP and then bf1.

Very useful as a defensive option to get space from opponent.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
@Pan1cMode You guys should take a look at SonicFox's latest gameplay video with Li Mei. Granted, he's not maining her but he's still the best MK player in the world. Some observations. He uses Khameleon and his dmg output is probably the worst I've seen in the game from any character at 22% average. He never uses db3/EXdb3 outside of a combo because it clearly sucks and EXdb3 punish is a myth, he rarely uses iairdb4 and when he does it he gets full combo punished. He mostly plays neutral, zoning, and the usual Khameleon shenanigans.

Thoughts?

This is such a disingenuous comparison it’s laughable.

Sonic is an exceptional player, but it’s clear they’re not super comfortable/optimal with Li Mei yet as evidenced by the numerous combo drops, the random fatal combos that don’t work, and the suboptimal combo routes. In any case, the combos they actually complete are still mostly 30+, and they do not go for anywhere near optimal, or max damage. That’s fine, Sonic’s fundamentals are so good they can win by doing basic shit - but to look at this video and then state that Li Mei has bad damage is disingenuous at best, and lying at worst. Ask sonicfox what they think about Li Mei’s damage.

Ex db3 with khameleon is situational, I will give you that. It’s still an option that no other character has. With scorpion it’s much more consistent.sonic does use it @17:59

Sonic doesn’t use iadb4 much at all, but the only time they do, it hits (@5:17).

You can downplay all you want, but if you’re gonna do it, probably shouldn’t link the evidence that proves you’re wrong?

If you want to see some Li Mei/Khameleon game ply, I’d suggest looking up Ghener.

For example:
02:20 - 4:27

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
This is such a disingenuous comparison it’s laughable.

Sonic is an exceptional player, but it’s clear they’re not super comfortable/optimal with Li Mei yet as evidenced by the numerous combo drops, the random fatal combos that don’t work, and the suboptimal combo routes. In any case, the combos they actually complete are still mostly 30+, and they do not go for anywhere near optimal, or max damage. That’s fine, Sonic’s fundamentals are so good they can win by doing basic shit - but to look at this video and then state that Li Mei has bad damage is disingenuous at best, and lying at worst. Ask sonicfox what they think about Li Mei’s damage.

Ex db3 with khameleon is situational, I will give you that. It’s still an option that no other character has. With scorpion it’s much more consistent.sonic does use it @17:59

Sonic doesn’t use iadb4 much at all, but the only time they do, it hits (@5:17).

You can downplay all you want, but if you’re gonna do it, probably shouldn’t link the evidence that proves you’re wrong?

If you want to see some Li Mei/Khameleon game ply, I’d suggest looking up Ghener.

For example:
02:20 - 4:27
Hey, I have no bone in this Li Mei/Khameleon discussion (as I dont really play Li Mei), but I felt the almost compulsory need to vent how annoying and dishonest this channel you posted is (nothing to do with you, of course). They constantly post these clickbaity thumbnails saying shit like "#1 ranked sindel/liu kang/johnny", and every new video the "#1 ranked" is another completely different player. They also posted a video of me losing a set against some random li mei, only to never post the 3 other sets I smoked the same player, using the same character, after that. How curious. :coffee:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Hey, I have no bone in this Li Mei/Khameleon discussion (as I dont really play Li Mei), but I felt the almost compulsory need to vent how annoying and dishonest this channel you posted is (nothing to do with you, of course). They constantly post these clickbaity thumbnails saying shit like "#1 ranked sindel/liu kang/johnny", and every new video the "#1 ranked" is another completely different player. They also posted a video of me losing a set against some random li mei, only to never post the 3 other sets I smoked the same player, using the same character, after that. How curious. :coffee:
Not a fan either, but just looking for a YouTube vid with the Ghener’s li Mei/Khameleon. I’ve seen them play before and I remember them playing well.

rifraf

Noob
You can downplay all you want
I've linked the best MK player in the world piloting the character. Her damage without Scorpion is garbage. I've never downplayed Li Mei. From the very beginning, I said she is solid and mid tier. You, on the other hand, said she is too good and she's going to get nerfed. Of course you're calling me for downplaying her now.

I've been playing ranked for a couple of seasons now, I have literally thousands of matches and Li Mei is by far the most rare matchup. Li Mei mains are not even playing her in tournaments. She has next to none tournament participation, and 0 top 16 placements.

All of you saying I'm downplaying the character, need a reality check.

Wigy

There it is...
Ive come round from thinking shes ass- but she has some really hard to get around weaknesses her stubbiness and gaps.

shes gotta be in the lower 1/2 or 1/3 of the cast IMO.

Hoon3y

Noob
Anyone got advice for the optimal j134db4-U+K extension with scorpion. Only combo I cant do consistently
Wigy when doing the j134bd4- U+K try doing like this, When you jump hold up, and input 1, 3+K,4 into db4. This timing has helped be quite a bit to make it consistent even in questionable connection. Depending on the combo route you may need to do it earlier or later.

Sample Combo (1,2~bf1EX, B3,4db3, U+K, Latern, dash, lantern, J1,3+K,4 db4, j.1,3db4.

Let me know if that helps.

Wigy

There it is...
Wigy when doing the j134bd4- U+K try doing like this, When you jump hold up, and input 1, 3+K,4 into db4. This timing has helped be quite a bit to make it consistent even in questionable connection. Depending on the combo route you may need to do it earlier or later.

Sample Combo (1,2~bf1EX, B3,4db3, U+K, Latern, dash, lantern, J1,3+K,4 db4, j.1,3db4.

Let me know if that helps.
yeah i figured that out later i can time it fine now, still a tricky input in the heat of the moment

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I've linked the best MK player in the world piloting the character. Her damage without Scorpion is garbage. I've never downplayed Li Mei. From the very beginning, I said she is solid and mid tier. You, on the other hand, said she is too good and she's going to get nerfed. Of course you're calling me for downplaying her now.

I've been playing ranked for a couple of seasons now, I have literally thousands of matches and Li Mei is by far the most rare matchup. Li Mei mains are not even playing her in tournaments. She has next to none tournament participation, and 0 top 16 placements.

All of you saying I'm downplaying the character, need a reality check.
You’ve said she has bad damage and then disingenuously linked a cvideo of sonicfox learning the character. You could’ve even picked the next video uploaded where he plays much better (also uses iadb4 much more often too).

Li Mei has her shortcomings; her range is average, her gaps are annoying, her armour is punishable and doesn’t launch as easily.

Her damage and her mix are not shortcomings. With basically every kameo she’s reaching high 30s up into 40s to 50s.

If you keep saying she has bad damage, I’m gonna call you out for downplaying.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I feel like Janet could potentially be her best kameo now…

Maybe some matchups khameleon might be better, but Janet offers so much. The consistent ex db3 punish is sooooo good. People don’t wanna poke and your pressure is so much stronger because of it.

I haven’t even really explored all the crazy puppet shit she has yet. Just the launching f+k and b+k is so strong.

Her strike throw game is super strong. Getting a full combo off her back throw all the time AND having a 14% forward throw is bonkers

It’s like playing with scorpion, but now you get a full combo off grab, and more consistent db3 punishes.

I can’t wait to see what the puppet will bring.

Wigy

There it is...
Yeah the puppet stuff is pretty lethal in the corner its just hard to set up. B34 D+K (buffer 3) then you can press any button you want as per above armour break combo. Do a string into projectile then puppet 4 and youre plus.

@Pan1cMode do you have a grab combo that doesnt require ex bf1 mid screen