What's new

Last Thread of Hope for Rain

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
Rain could stay the same and still be awesome. His gameplay had so much potential in small details. If it wasn't for his high hurtbox I would still main him.

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
So by now we've all watched the story mode trailer a billion times and seen the screencaps of everyone's favourite purple ninja. So the question arises: do we think Rain is playable or just a story cameo?

I've seen some Rain diehards on other sites take him as confirmed playable but I wouldn't jump the gun. Yeah, he has a new costume but so does Sindel (mostly). I think we all expected a lot of story mode cameos from other characters and Rain working with Mileena would seem to make him a shoe-in for a cameo.

Boon has openly deconfirmed Rain multiple times but that could just be him trolling. We also know that NRS won't release the same characters as DLC twice, so if Rain isn't main roster, he isn't in.

Personally, I think Rain is about 50/50 in. He is shown in a story mode trailer in a new costume, dropkicking Kotal, so that has to count for something. Furthermore, Mileena's allies need to be playable if Kotal's are: Goro and Rain would go someway to balancing out D'Vorah, F/T and Erron. But to consider him absolutely confirmed is jumping the gun, in my opinion.

One thing I will say though is that I don't think we can take Boon's 5 characters as a hard and fast rule. With the prominence Shinnok being in the amulet has, I'd be pretty surprised if he wasn't playable and if he isn't, he's an absolute MUST for DLC.

If we do take the five characters as being absolute: Jacqui, Takeda, Kung Jin, Mileena and Erron seem likely, but we also saw Cage and Shinnok and Rain, so I'm ambivalent about the 5 characters being used to refute arguments in favour of Rain.

Still, my gut feeling is story mode cameo.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
I'm just gonna repost this from MKO.

"-NRS doesn't waste time detailing NPC models, Sindel is a good example of this. His design is fundamentally similar to his MKA costume, but it's different in a lot of ways too. If they wanted to, they could have just retextured Rain's MK9 outfit and changed it slightly, but they went the extra mile to give him a detailed costume.

-All of NRS' promotional material for MK9 and Injustice never advertised characters that weren't playable, and if they're design seemed unique or detailed, they were always playable.

-Seems kind of like a big move for an NPC to dropkick such a main player in the story off a cliff.

-This is an advertisement. If he wasn't playable, I doubt he'd even be in this trailer.

-Boon has been tweeting Rain hints every once and a while, and albeit I didn't take it serious at all, assuming it was Boon's idea of a red herring. After seeing Rain in the game with a unique and detailed costume, the hint's seem to carry more weight, at least.

-He appears to have connections, or at least an allegiance to Mileena, and her other unique guards like Ermac, Erron Black, and Reptile are obviously going to be playable, so it would follow a consistent path for him to be too."

Also, remember when Injustice was coming out? Lord Boon said, "hey guys don't get too excited because you don't know who'll be playable or not!", and then damn near everyone - if not everyone - turned out to be playable. This is (probably) an eloborate Boon scheme to keep you guessing. With the exception of Sindel, I wouldn't be surprised if most/all of the characters we saw are in.

i want rain in case you haven't realised

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Lord Boon said they wouldn't be repeating any DLC characters.
Hmm... I don't fully trust what he says because sometimes he says stuff and ends up changing his mind a few weeks later, but if Rain wasn't DLC then I'd bet he's in the main roster.

Like come on, if they worked on a fully new design for Shinnok and Rain just to be a part in the story cutscenes then I'm going to be pissed.

I'm on the "Rain confirmed" side the fence here. I mean, if they were to go out of there way to detail a non-playable character that much and not have them be playable would fry my brain. Same deal with Shinnok and Sindel.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Hmm... I don't fully trust what he says because sometimes he says stuff and ends up changing his mind a few weeks later, but if Rain wasn't DLC then I'd bet he's in the main roster.

Like come on, if they worked on a fully new design for Shinnok and Rain just to be a part in the story cutscenes then I'm going to be pissed.
I don't see how anybody can doubt Shinnok's inclusion.

I doubt we'll be seeing any DLC characters this early on, though.
I'm on the "Rain confirmed" side the fence here. I mean, if they were to go out of there way to detail a non-playable character that much and not have them be playable would fry my brain. Same deal with Shinnok and Sindel.
Sindel's just in her MK9 outfit with a bit of additional shit on it, though.
Can we talk about how fucking sexy Shinnok's costume is?
I always thought Shinnok looked kinda stupid, his new costume is pretty much exactly what I wanted to see. He's still recognisable, but he looks a hell of a lot more imposing/badass.

Look at me, quoting posts that haven't even been made yet and shit.

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
Whatever about Rain and Shinnok, who I'm 50% and 70% on respectively, I'm positive Sindel won't be in the game. Ermac has her fly, Quan Chi her air fireball and she's one of the least popular of the Trilogy characters, not helped by her being used in the clumsiest stake-raising moment in MK history. She has some really devoted fans but if Jade isn't in and her moves have been cannibalized, the same thing has happened to Sindel.

Just because Rain has a different design then MK9 and is in story mode doesn't mean he will be in the game, why would NRS set up Rain to be DLC twice in both MK games? Idk I don't see it, also are we forgetting that Rain totally gets destroyed by Kotal in the comics?

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
I hope he's in.
He's one of my favorite and his combat style and powers can be explored much more.
And he hasn't been in a story for a while so, time for a change.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.

"-NRS doesn't waste time detailing NPC models, Sindel is a good example of this. His design is fundamentally similar to his MKA costume, but it's different in a lot of ways too. If they wanted to, they could have just retextured Rain's MK9 outfit and changed it slightly, but they went the extra mile to give him a detailed costume.

-All of NRS' promotional material for MK9 and Injustice never advertised characters that weren't playable, and if they're design seemed unique or detailed, they were always playable.

-Seems kind of like a big move for an NPC to dropkick such a main player in the story off a cliff.

-This is an advertisement. If he wasn't playable, I doubt he'd even be in this trailer.

-Boon has been tweeting Rain hints every once and a while, and albeit I didn't take it serious at all, assuming it was Boon's idea of a red herring. After seeing Rain in the game with a unique and detailed costume, the hint's seem to carry more weight, at least.

-He appears to have connections, or at least an allegiance to Mileena, and her other unique guards like Ermac, Erron Black, and Reptile are obviously going to be playable, so it would follow a consistent path for him to be too."

Also, remember when Injustice was coming out? Lord Boon said, "hey guys don't get too excited because you don't know who'll be playable or not!", and then damn near everyone - if not everyone - turned out to be playable. This is (probably) an eloborate Boon scheme to keep you guessing. With the exception of Sindel, I wouldn't be surprised if most/all of the characters we saw are in.

i want rain in case you haven't realised
Lol stop. She is in.

Bi-on-iC

I'm innocent, I mean..not guilty.
He has to be in. I can just imagine how awesome and diverse his variations would be.
And they just can't do this to us, showing him in the trailer kickin' some serious ass and then turns out he's not in? I'd hate them for the rest of my life..

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
Yeah I'm pretty sure he's in at this point. Can't have him dropkick fucking Kotal Kahn off of a rooftop and then be like yeeaah but he's not really that important so he's not playable.. :coffee:. Also, he deserves to be in story again, his character is way underdeveloped, it's time to finally change that. Plus, gameplay wise, he has far more to offer than most other characters. Really cool variation potential.

If he's not in at this point I'll confim NRS for the biggest trolls in human history.

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
Anyone with a brain should have seen that Rain was still moving (you don't die in a fetus position) and he was still making noises, so... really don't get where everyone got that idea from.

Now that makes me wonder if NRS didn't simply put that little shot of him in the trailer to be like "HA you idiots thought he was dead but here he is dropkicking fools!"

JLU51306

Bzzzt *Paging Doctor Fate*

"-NRS doesn't waste time detailing NPC models, Sindel is a good example of this. His design is fundamentally similar to his MKA costume, but it's different in a lot of ways too. If they wanted to, they could have just retextured Rain's MK9 outfit and changed it slightly, but they went the extra mile to give him a detailed costume...
Lol, that's my post. :p

I would like to retract some info in one of those facts, seeing as how I confused whose bodyguards work for who.