What's new

Last Thread of Hope for Rain

JLU51306

Bzzzt *Paging Doctor Fate*
This post is my secret weapon whenever I come across any Rain doubters. I am forever in your debt.

fuck, he better be in now
I guess we can commiserate with one another if we're wrong.

Rain brotherhood unite! (Disclaimer: That sounded cooler in my head)

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
It all comes down to Boon's "5 reveals" tweet.
If there's truth in that, then Rain will just be in the story mode and won't be playable.
If that turns out to be bollocks, he'll be in.
Lord Boon is a glorious man, but he's also full of shit.

He probably has a really skewed definition of "reveals", or is trolling again. Because not even including Rain, I feel like there were more than five playable characters in that trailer.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
All the characters pretty much shown fighting are definitely in. Sindel's character model is entirely new even though it is similar to her mk9 outfit. it is probably her alt even. in the scene she is shown with kitana's alt which is similar to mk9. so that would explain that in terms of story. she could be another flight walking character like ermac.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Lord Boon is a glorious man, but he's also full of shit.

He probably has a really skewed definition of "reveals", or is trolling again. Because not even including Rain, I feel like there were more than five playable characters in that trailer.
Yeah I actually think that's an extremely likely option. Boon may have had in his head "Takeda, Jacqui, Kung Jin, Mileena and Erron Black get featured quite a lot, there you go guys, 5 reveals" and the ones with smaller parts may still be in, but he just doesn't consider them as solid reveals.

But it could also be true. They've said time after time, that this story mode is going to be huge, so there could well be characters that have significant roles/are designed well but are not playable.

No one can say right now, and to be honest, I hope we don't find out until the game is out.

JLU51306

I remember how excited I got when Boon tweeted that Penguin teaser during the lead up to Injustice....
That's a good point, but even with that we soon learned that they just hosted in-game models from Arkham City for Penguin. At least Rain's using a unique character model.

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
Yeah seriously, Boon is 70% trolling no matter what he tweets. He's also changing his mind a hell of a lot, so really I wouldn't take the 5 reveals thing TOO too seriously.

Last edited:

JLU51306

Also, though I don't know Ed Boon as a person, even from his twisted mind of trolls (I'm saying that lovingly), I feel he might understand that certain characters have passionate fanbases, and that it could be wholly unecessary for someone like Rain to be in the game only as a plot-device/NPC instead of just about any other generic NPC.

Or maybe he just doesn't give a fuck.

This post was brought to you by The Weather Channel, and the color Purple.

eNARV

Capital Punishment
Well who was MAINLY SHOWCASED in the trailer? Takeda , Jacqui, Kung Jin, Mileena, and SHINNOK. Erron Black wasnt focused on (He was just "there" BUT I do see him getting revealed LATER), and neither Rain. Thats the way I see it.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
For anyone who's still doubting:

On the day the trailer dropped, my area was hit with a bout of EXTREMELY heavy rain and some slight thunder. It was actually kinda scary, and it went on for about half an hour. It was literally the heaviest rainfall I have ever seen in my entire life.

Then, a few hours later, the trailer dropped and there he was, dropkicking mofos.

He was talking to me, guys.

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
Well who was MAINLY SHOWCASED in the trailer? Takeda , Jacqui, Kung Jin, Mileena, and SHINNOK. Erron Black wasnt focused on (He was just "there" BUT I do see him getting revealed LATER), and neither Rain. Thats the way I see it.
Yeah of course, but that doesn't mean that Rain can't be revealed as a playable character later on. I'm pretty sure there was a reason NRS put Rain, Sindel, Johnny etc in there, and it probably was to confuse us. While Johnny didn't do anything relevant and Sindel looked like she was just summoned by Quan Chi to fight Cassie, Rain actually did something relevant.

The boot in the image seems like an outdated version on Rains boot. But he has the bowguys bow behind him. And Bowguys boot looks nothing like the one in the image, but he could be wearing a story alt in the trailer.

(http://i.imgur.com/v4cAsID.png (boot image next to rains boot).

I think he's in from a fighting game story perspective. The second part is probably about Kotal Kahn vs Mileena. Kotal Kahn has a shitload of henchmen in the game (Ermac, Reptile, Devorah, Ferra&Torr, Probably Erron (he's wearing eyeliner in 1 cutscene wich is a sniper tactic I think-> possible variation)). And Mileena has Goro...

She kinda needs more henchmen for Kotal to fight in his chapter if she's going to be his chapter boss. Seeing how they've waited this long to show Mileena, I can see her getting Rain and Reiko as sub-bosses.

And when KK and Mileena face eachother you can spot thunder/rain (weather) on the ground. He probably has a role in that chapter.

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
i think Rain is in and here is why :

- Boon been hinting at Rain at least 10000 times!

- His character theme revolves around treachery which clicks just fine with team Mileena if you ask me.

- I have never seen such a detailed NPC, especially one that dropkicks the emporer of outworld LOL

- He was the most requested DLC character in MK9, if i remember correctly, tho i could be wrong.

- His powers could make great variations.

- Roundhouse kicks and cancels are badass.

- He seems he could contribute to the story, which helps him since he is a little under developed.

- Who doesnt like kicking ass as a demi-god?

Ahh as rain can control water I imagine him being full water bender and for a fatality he blood bends them and drain gallons of their blood out of their head or mount until the are overly dry and die there and then.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I'm on the "Rain confirmed" side the fence here. I mean, if they were to go out of there way to detail a non-playable character that much and not have them be playable would fry my brain. Same deal with Shinnok and Sindel.
Sindel is literally just her MK9 model with extra evil effects thrown on it(they didn't even fix her hair lololol), and Shinnok could easily just be a non-playable boss like Shao Kahn in MK9.

Just because Rain has a different design then MK9 and is in story mode doesn't mean he will be in the game, why would NRS set up Rain to be DLC twice in both MK games? Idk I don't see it, also are we forgetting that Rain totally gets destroyed by Kotal in the comics?
Not only are the comics a prequel, Rain didn't die there.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
I'm also sorry to disappoint, but in the comics rain is basically described as Mileena's bitch, and that's what he seems to be here too.

Don't get your hopes up on him getting a developed character in MKX.

(I am a fan of Rain btw)

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
The boot in the image seems like an outdated version on Rains boot. But he has the bowguys bow behind him. And Bowguys boot looks nothing like the one in the image, but he could be wearing a story alt in the trailer.

(http://i.imgur.com/v4cAsID.png (boot image next to rains boot).

I think he's in from a fighting game story perspective. The second part is probably about Kotal Kahn vs Mileena. Kotal Kahn has a shitload of henchmen in the game (Ermac, Reptile, Devorah, Ferra&Torr, Probably Erron (he's wearing eyeliner in 1 cutscene wich is a sniper tactic I think-> possible variation)). And Mileena has Goro...

She kinda needs more henchmen for Kotal to fight in his chapter if she's going to be his chapter boss. Seeing how they've waited this long to show Mileena, I can see her getting Rain and Reiko as sub-bosses.

And when KK and Mileena face eachother you can spot thunder/rain (weather) on the ground. He probably has a role in that chapter.
Come on dude you have to be blind, that boot is clearly Kung Jin's.

You see the end of his bow/hammer/staff in the trailer and it's the one next to the boot, and the boot looks the same.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
I'm also sorry to disappoint, but in the comics rain is basically described as Mileena's bitch, and that's what he seems to be here too.

Don't get your hopes up on him getting a developed character in MKX.

(I am a fan of Rain btw)
Wouldn't be surprising, there are always far too many jobbers.

But I really don't care as long as I still have my armoured roundhouses.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
If Rain's a jobber, at least he'll be a badass dropper who makes people line up on rooftops and dropkicks them all down like dominoes.