What's new

General/Other - Kung Lao Kung Lao General Discussion

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
What are KL best anti-air options?
It seems that I can't use spin to anti-air some jump-in punch hitboxes like Kotal's.
And I suck when they cross me up. I can't react and forced to guess 50/50s.

Any advice?

Yeah you really don't want to do regular spin unless it's against a jumping forward opponent. You have to be quick with it tho.
As far as cross over jumps, you'll have to use meter and do ex spin. I've seen foxy do standing 1 as a anti air but idk how effective it is against the chast.

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
I have a problem using NJP as an anti-air and that's not character specific.
In MK9, standing normals are great anti-air for some characters but here in MKX it's different and I can't figure out how I can consistently anti-air someone.
I have to avoid jump-in attack using rapid dash, run and dive kick.

Finally got the X1 update. Tried out tempest. Wasn't my thing still I prefer Buzzsaw to much. Maybe it's just engrained in my head. So instead of learning tempest to pocket I've decided on Raiden ThunderGod. Can't go wrong with KL Buzzsaw and Raiden ThunderGod. I also play GM Subzero

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
I can't get over how much better Tempest is right now, and I also can't believe I ever thought Tempest was mediocre just because it lacks any real mix-ups. Ending everything you do in the hat spin to be safe and getting easy 40% meterless combos from basic hit confirms is really good. Sure you can spend a bar and get almost 50% which is insane, but there's no need to! Just keep the meter for spins or ex hat spin because you're doing so much damage meterless anyway.

Not sure if it's better than Buzz Saw though because all it really has is the damage (the previously faster spin is now 7 frames instead of 5). Buzz Saw gets so much mileage out of the low hat and taking that away hurts Lao bad.

Last edited:

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
the combo setup starts at 0:40 and I end my combo with a low hat and start it with a low hat and then i run up to him and do forward 2,3 spin back 2 into xray when i hit forward 2 you will see 2 hits
watch closely mate the other guy saw it you can or will see it ttoo
Saw it!! love it :D, does it have to be a meaty hat for this to work though?

I havent been on mkx lately, but i need to know what lao's new bnb's are, that is, if anything has changed since the patch.

lordspinalkillerinstinct

He is not my main even though i have that name
Saw it!! love it :D, does it have to be a meaty hat for this to work though?

I havent been on mkx lately, but i need to know what lao's new bnb's are, that is, if anything has changed since the patch.
Yeah its easier if you do it on someones wake up
but the opponent can just delay wake up to avoid it and then you have a bald kung lao and thats bad.

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
So after about 2 days of Tempest play I'm starting to really, REALLY miss Buzz Saw. It's not even just the low hat, in fact it's mainly the spin. You don't realise how insanely powerful and useful the forward advancing spin is until it's gone and you have a spin that stays in the one spot. It feels like such a good tool has been taken away from me.

Big damage is nice but I want my low hat shenanigans and my uber useful spin :[ You can't annoy your opponent anywhere near as much when using Tempest.

Byites

Wilson
So after about 2 days of Tempest play I'm starting to really, REALLY miss Buzz Saw. It's not even just the low hat, in fact it's mainly the spin. You don't realise how insanely powerful and useful the forward advancing spin is until it's gone and you have a spin that stays in the one spot. It feels like such a good tool has been taken away from me.

Big damage is nice but I want my low hat shenanigans and my uber useful spin :[ You can't annoy your opponent anywhere near as much when using Tempest.
Tempest spin is better than buzzsaws

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
you talking about punishing whiffs? or just out of random because its 7f?

coolwhip

Noob
Tempest spin is better than buzzsaws
Absolutely not, especially now that the start-up frames are the same (and I thought buzz-saw spin was better even before the patch). Right now, it's not even close. You're talking about an advancing special that covers insane range and has layers of armor.

The only thing Cyclone has over Vortex spin is damage. Vortex spin has better range and more armor. The range is what makes the move have so many uses.

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
Yea i know both are 7f. So i guess my question is what are the uses? (serious question) Why am im going to pick buzz saw over tempest? why sacrifice the damage in a world of jin's soyna's and raiden's? (no low hat answers please)

Notez4

Noob
a meaty 4xxEXSpin beats out some armored wake ups. (Still testing) really easy to time off of a 21 hard knock down. So my question, is it possible to option select the 4xxEXSpin to do 44 on block? Right now this is beating out subs slide as well as erron blacks.
Can I get some help here! Lol

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
Yea i know both are 7f. So i guess my question is what are the uses? (serious question) Why am im going to pick buzz saw over tempest? why sacrifice the damage in a world of jin's soyna's and raiden's? (no low hat answers please)
Because Tempest loses very valuable tools while offering absolutely nothing in return except for some more damage.