What's new

General/Other - Kung Lao Kung Lao General Discussion

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
Sooooo..... I take it no one here uses hat trick?
i use hat trick. Also my $.02 on tempest vs buzzsaw/hat trick ex spin is they each have their utility. In certain scenarios it's nice to be in one place and spin for aas and certain punishes, but is only 1 hit. the bs/ht ex spin advances, breaks armor, but can potentially launch unreliable as only the 3rd hit truly launches

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
Also does anyone think it's funny sonyas string(either b13 or b14) looks similar to our f14. But is oh low and staggers into combo while ours is a mid low that's full combo punishable and leads to nothing?
It doesn't really bother me I just think it's funny. I think I'm on a pick up Sonya a little bit

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
i use hat trick. Also my $.02 on tempest vs buzzsaw/hat trick ex spin is they each have their utility. In certain scenarios it's nice to be in one place and spin for aas and certain punishes, but is only 1 hit. the bs/ht ex spin advances, breaks armor, but can potentially launch unreliable as only the 3rd hit truly launches
Both of you have all my respect

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
so the real thing missed is the low hat. If im going to spend the bar for advancing spin for a combo i could do the same thing with ex hat spin. At least with ex hat spin you didn't use your launch already with the ex spin and on block you plus 27 compared to -17.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Both of you have all my respect
He was the first variation of Lao I tried before I went buzzsaw . The trade off for hat was not in my favor... throwing away all my tools for 5% hat call dmg was a rough experience. I love low tier characters though like right now I'm loving kenjutsu kenshi but them D1 links are tough even with the visual cue:(

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
He was the first variation of Lao I tried before I went buzzsaw . The trade off for hat was not in my favor... throwing away all my tools for 5% hat call dmg was a rough experience. I love low tier characters though like right now I'm loving kenjutsu kenshi but them D1 links are tough even with the visual cue:(
Yeah I'm not going to lie as soon as I saw it in the kombat cast I immediately thought it would suck, since losing all your tools just to have a hat flying in the stage that to be honest wasn't that intimidating, seemed pretty shitty

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Yeah its easier if you do it on someones wake up
but the opponent can just delay wake up to avoid it and then you have a bald kung lao and thats bad.
i thought that his hat throw whiffing leaving him hatless for so long is kinda dumb. even if they delay their wake up though, thers no wake up invincibility in this game right? so won't it still hit them then? or if they lay on the ground it should still hit them. the delayed wake ups are when you hold down to lay on the ground and then when you get up from that do your special right?

Histrionik

Wake-Up Rolls, bitch.
So, looks like a lot of post saying Buzzsaw is master race. is the utility of canceling strings into Hat Spin and being -3 on block with the ability to hit confirm into full combo not enough for Tempest? [Genuinely asking - All I've tried is Tempest and I REALLY like it, but I'm missing idea of Low Hat as well.] Seems like [Tempest] B2 xxDB1 and F21 xxDB1 are great ways to pressure/keep an opponent in check, especially if you use an EN Hat Spin.

Just trying to get some feedback as I'm looking to pick up Lao as my secondary.

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
So, looks like a lot of post saying Buzzsaw is master race. is the utility of canceling strings into Hat Spin and being -3 on block with the ability to hit confirm into full combo not enough for Tempest? [Genuinely asking - All I've tried is Tempest and I REALLY like it, but I'm missing idea of Low Hat as well.] Seems like [Tempest] B2 xxDB1 and F21 xxDB1 are great ways to pressure/keep an opponent in check, especially if you use an EN Hat Spin.

Just trying to get some feedback as I'm looking to pick up Lao as my secondary.
Tempest and buzz saw are both way good. WAY GOOD.you just have to play both differently. I personally haven't messed with hat trick a whole lot yet.

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
so the real thing missed is the low hat. If im going to spend the bar for advancing spin for a combo i could do the same thing with ex hat spin. At least with ex hat spin you didn't use your launch already with the ex spin and on block you plus 27 compared to -17.
...What? I don't understand what you mean. You can't do the same thing with EX hat spin because the moves are not comparable.

EX spin in Buzz Saw is used to combo punish things and anti-air because it's so fast and covers a great distance. It's 7 frames and that is much faster than any of Kung Lao's other combo starters.

EX hat spin in tempest is not a punisher and it is not used during combos, it is used for block pressure and frame traps.

One is a fast punisher and the other is used for pressure. You can't compare them when deciding on which variation to use because they fulfil completely different roles.

Last edited:

Taxman

Noob
Coming from Erron Black as my main I'm really enjoying Kung Lao. Erron Black is a heavy rush down player and for me as a noob to FGs it's really hard to make the best out of him, but with Lao I'm kind of grasping it a lot better. I've gone a little more in depth with Lao by making a note pad and breaking down all his combos between overheads, lows, safe move, move that advance forward and it's helping me grasp him so much better by making that breakdown. As the move list is it's to big for me to be able to pick and choose and learn the combos, has anyone done something similar by making a breakdown of sorts?
Anways..
Right now I think my favorite variation is tempest, it lets me play on the defense or offensive and gives me good opportunities to punish and I really enjoy comboing everything together with hat spin, 44, b321, spin, etcetc.

Man am i the only one who feels that in mkx the teleport insnt as good as it was in mk9 ? almost every time i do a teleport 2 it whiffs and i punished for it but the grab is really nice. they should make it where you dont need to spend 2 bars to get that grab pop up

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Man am i the only one who feels that in mkx the teleport insnt as good as it was in mk9 ? almost every time i do a teleport 2 it whiffs and i punished for it but the grab is really nice. they should make it where you dont need to spend 2 bars to get that grab pop up
^ this. Burning 2 bars is a bit much for this risk/reward is still not in your favor.