What's new

General/Other - Buzz Saw Kung Lao Buzzsaw Variation General discussion.

Afro_physicist

Hat Trick
Yoo, been messing with Kung Lao for the last day or so, Uhh..I'm not going to read through all of this, so excuse me if this has been discovered already or talked about or whatever, but you can AA with 4,4, and get a run cancel EX spin and punish jump ins for about 30%
Havent thought of that, how consistently were you able to land this? My go to AA has just been spin

CitizenCIA

Awwwh damn.
Havent thought of that, how consistently were you able to land this? My go to AA has just been spin
I don't play a lot of online, so i don't have real match experience with it, but testing it out in training mode leads me to believe its a really consistent anti air. It's not as consistent or covers as many ranges as spin of course, but it has it's places.

coolwhip

Noob
Buzzsaw is overall a much better variation than tempest.
The tempest spinny hat doesnt work properly, if you block an attack and its not even in front of you, you lose it. It would make more sense if it had similar properties to the ice clone in that respect, 4f spin is nice, but thats pretty much all you get from the variation.

The ex spin in buzzsaw is probably better, its advancing and multi hitting, still punishes alot of things other people cant.
The low hat gives you more screen control and makes strings like B22 safe, and the ex hats force your opponents to do something typically in your favour.
Been saying this since day one.

People are hyping up tempest way too much when in truth it's just useful for a few match-ups. Yeah, ex spin in tempest is 5 frames, but that's literally the only reason to use the variation, and it's not like ex spin in buzz-saw is that much worse. It's only 2 frames slower, it covers much better range, it's advancing, it's multi hitting, etc...

skater11

The saltiest
I think in a lao mirror match, tempest beats buzzsaw. I don't feel like typing why lol but that's just how I see it,

Been saying this since day one.

People are hyping up tempest way too much when in truth it's just useful for a few match-ups. Yeah, ex spin in tempest is 5 frames, but that's literally the only reason to use the variation, and it's not like ex spin in buzz-saw is that much worse. It's only 2 frames slower, it covers much better range, it's advancing, it's multi hitting, etc...
It's all because of the hat spin. Hat spin is a bill, you're better off not using it because of the long duration of the hat recovery. If only they made it useful.

Akky

Noob
So what's the pressure system like? B2 low hat --> poke low hat

Can you run directly after the low hat on block/hit confirm to apply more pressure with a move that has fast frames?

Hey I'm not a kung Lao main, but I have a mu question that I would like to know from y'all perspective. What do you consider the liu kang vs Lao MU to be? Idk if the variations made a big difference but I'm pretty sure I played a buzzsaw or hat trick variation. Also I used liu kang dualist.

bambus

Noob
I've played a lot of matches against Liu Kang. I met some decent ones and he's never really a problem because personally I think his arsenal is a bit poor. He's very fast so I try to get out of close range. I play tempest so I can punish some things and that's my plan. I put pressure and then back up avoiding getting pressured by him.

Maybe I haven't played any good ones though. I have over 400 online matches with around 30 losses only. And rank around 20 in koth. In EU. So I'm high level maybe I haven't met a high level Kang yet. I miss the us servers for the better opponents.

Vjeekes

DevilApes
I've played a lot of matches against Liu Kang. I met some decent ones and he's never really a problem because personally I think his arsenal is a bit poor. He's very fast so I try to get out of close range. I play tempest so I can punish some things and that's my plan. I put pressure and then back up avoiding getting pressured by him.

Maybe I haven't played any good ones though. I have over 400 online matches with around 30 losses only. And rank around 20 in koth. In EU. So I'm high level maybe I haven't met a high level Kang yet. I miss the us servers for the better opponents.
Add me I'm also on EU servers and looking for some good opponents. I'm up for a few mirromatches :)

Edit: my psn is oldschoolvjeekes

Byites

Wilson
I am currently stuck at the 39% meterless barrier. Trying to find away to break 40% without using meter. Will post the 39% soon :)

Vinnie

Noob
A question to you guys.
Is there any difference if I use 1 or 2 with nj?
And when I just jump on the opponent is there a difference between using 1 or 2 and the same with 3 or 4?
Thanks

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
A question to you guys.
Is there any difference if I use 1 or 2 with nj?
And when I just jump on the opponent is there a difference between using 1 or 2 and the same with 3 or 4?
Thanks
nj1, nj2, nj3 and nj4 all do the same amount. Every character does 7% with all neutral jump hits.

skater11

The saltiest
Anyone know why spin seems so unreliable sometimes. I get jump kicked out of it a lot when trying to anti air. Am I just doing it too late or too early? It randomly works perfectly as an anti air and other times it doesn't. Not sure if it's just me.

Last edited:
I am kinda late to the party and that might be a stupid question
but for some reason I cant do 11212?
after 11 the first 2 doesn't come out
any tips?

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
So guys right now Im trying to learn lao as an Alt cause I have always liked him and subbed him in MK9. I know this is supposed to his variation closest to His MK9 style but I have been hearing Tempest is where its at, Thoughts on this which of the two do you all think is better?

So guys right now Im trying to learn lao as an Alt cause I have always liked him and subbed him in MK9. I know this is supposed to his variation closest to His MK9 style but I have been hearing Tempest is where its at, Thoughts on this which of the two do you all think is better?
Use buzzsaw

Do you mind elaborating a little more as to why?
Tempest: 5 frame ex spin and higher damage

Buzzsaw: Safe ex low hat against everyone but the 5 frame spin. makes overhead safe and has mixups. This variation has better zoning and offense. Tempest spin is better than Buzzsaw spin, but they are still close. For example look at the subzero matchup.

You should see it when you mess with the variations a bit. The hat spin is what tempest should be about but the move is pretty bad.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Tempest: 5 frame ex spin and higher damage

Buzzsaw: Safe ex low hat against everyone but the 5 frame spin. makes overhead safe and has mixups. This variation has better zoning and offense. Tempest spin is better than Buzzsaw spin, but they are still close. For example look at the subzero matchup.

You should see it when you mess with the variations a bit. The hat spin is what tempest should be about but the move is pretty bad.
isnt the mb lowhat + on block in buzzsaw?