What's new

General/Other - Buzz Saw Kung Lao Buzzsaw Variation General discussion.

Well, 1 1 is neutral on block, so technically it's the safest. But most strings can be canceled into low hat to make them safe-ish (against most characters at least), or ex low hat if you want to be plus on block.

When talking about block strings, the strings you want to use are 1 1 (off of a jump in mainly, because standing 1 is a high), F21, F23 (careful as the second hit is backdashable and can be armored through) and b321.
Thanks! That really helps that you mention doing a jump in 1 1, because I was having trouble with the first hit being high and if they ducked they could reverse the pressure pretty easily with a down 1.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Cant they mash out their d1 after blocking uour jump in? That means your hight hitting 1 is gonna get blown up.

coolwhip

Noob
Cant they mash out their d1 after blocking uour jump in? That means your hight hitting 1 is gonna get blown up.
No. The cancel advantage of the jump in punch prevents them from doing so. If they try to press buttons and release block they'll get hit.

Reauxbot

No. The cancel advantage of the jump in punch prevents them from doing so. If they try to press buttons and release block they'll get hit.
What if they just crouch block? This hasnt worked well for me :% unless im doing something wrong. Lui Kang kinda just blew me up lol

coolwhip

Noob
What if they just crouch block? This hasnt worked well for me :% unless im doing something wrong. Lui Kang kinda just blew me up lol
The jump in punch is an overhead so if they crouch block the punch will connect and you get a full combo. If they block the jump in punch standing but try to crouch immediately afterwards, the first hit of 1,1 will connect while they're still in stand block and before the crouch block animation is completed. If they try to poke with a d1, they have to release block which means that the first hit of 1,1 WILL connect every time.

Go to practice mode, and record yourself doing Jip 1,1 with Kung Lao. Then try to poke in between and notice that you can't. Jump in punches typically jail.

Reauxbot

The jump in punch is an overhead so if they crouch block the punch will connect and you get a full combo. If they block the jump in punch standing but try to crouch immediately afterwards, the first hit of 1,1 will connect while they're still in stand block and before the crouch block animation is completed. If they try to poke with a d1, they have to release block which means that the first hit of 1,1 WILL connect every time.

Go to practice mode, and record yourself doing Jip 1,1 with Kung Lao. Then try to poke in between and notice that you can't. Jump in punches typically jail.
I appreciate the help. Although i didnt practice it. I took your word and did it in a match. Some blocked others got hit. Problem is i cant get fists of fury out or see the confirm in time for a combo. I heard that both hats are both not good to end blockstrings. So i guess just J.I. 1.1 is good. But thanks man. It helped

coolwhip

Noob
I appreciate the help. Although i didnt practice it. I took your word and did it in a match. Some blocked others got hit. Problem is i cant get fists of fury out or see the confirm in time for a combo. I heard that both hats are both not good to end blockstrings. So i guess just J.I. 1.1 is good. But thanks man. It helped
For fist of fury to work, do 1,1 then quickly slide your thumb back and forth between 2 and 1 for the follow up 212. Off of a jump in punch, you should be able to hit confirm 1,1 on its own anyway (with practice I'm sure you'll get it down), but it's very difficult to hit confirm a raw 1,1, that's for sure. As far as ending block strings with hats, never end a block string with straight hat. When you want to use hats in a block string, go for low hat or occasionally, ex low hat. Low hats are only -6 on block which makes them for the most part, safe, with only a few characters being able to punish (and the player has to be really on point to punish them). Ex low hat is +5 on block so you get to continue pressure. Use low hats off of f23, f21, b321 (probably Lao's best string).

skater11

The saltiest
For fist of fury to work, do 1,1 then quickly slide your thumb back and forth between 2 and 1 for the follow up 212. Off of a jump in punch, you should be able to hit confirm 1,1 on its own anyway (with practice I'm sure you'll get it down), but it's very difficult to hit confirm a raw 1,1, that's for sure. As far as ending block strings with hats, never end a block string with straight hat. When you want to use hats in a block string, go for low hat or occasionally, ex low hat. Low hats are only -6 on block which makes them for the most part, safe, with only a few characters being able to punish (and the player has to be really on point to punish them). Ex low hat is +5 on block so you get to continue pressure. Use low hats off of f23, f21, b321 (probably Lao's best string).
You're very helpful man. Do you know If 11212 string is guaranteed after a blocked ex low hat?

coolwhip

Noob
You're very helpful man. Do you know If 11212 string is guaranteed after a blocked ex low hat?
A blocked ex low hat is only +5 so because standing 1 is a high, it can be poked out of (d1, d3, d4 or uppercut), so no, 11212 is not guaranteed in that case.

PS: The frame data in this game may not be accurate so I'll test this and give you a definite answer.

I just started messing with Kung Lao while looking around different characters. Why the hell can't I get his 11212 to come out? The first two hits come out and that's it.

Also, what's the standard combo ender for oki? I've been doing 21. Where can I find practical corner comobs? I think I've figured out my midscreen combos but have no clue in the corner.

Last edited:

Wasted

Noob
^ Seriously? Your first question was answered on this page.

Your combo ender depends on what you want to do next.

Nearly every second post is a combo of some sort, just do a bit of reading.

^ Seriously? Your first question was answered on this page.

Your combo ender depends on what you want to do next.

Nearly every second post is a combo of some sort, just do a bit of reading.
You're right I was being lazy. I did try the 1,1 slide 2,1,2 but can't get it to come out for whatever reason.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
In the corner works with all variants.

44 xx b32~spin xx nj2 ji3~d4 (ender)

Gets a good 40 or more out of it depending on what string or special you use on end

F4tal

Noob
So I wanted to here what everyone else's opinion on the Sub Zero (Grand Master) MU when using Buzz Saw.

I played in the second ESL cup and got top 4 using all Buzz Saw Kung Lao. In my 6-7 matches I played 3 Grand Master Sub Zero players and didn't have a problem at all. Now granted, they probably weren't on Denzell's or Tom's level but they were using a lot of really good corner set ups and were obviously abusing the clone. Now keep in mind that I am not saying that this MU is 6-4, 7-3, etc but I do feel like Kung Lao has a slight advantage. You can pretty easily react to an ice ball with teleport 1 and pretty much play the keep away game and all of SZ's moves are pretty punishable. I am not sure how but I was able to react to his low and overhead most of the time. The overhead got me a few times but I rarely had trouble with the low. Not looking for props but just wanted to hear everyone's opinion on this MU since there is a huge Sub Zero scare.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
Both EX teleport and EX spin are so damn good. The tele is great for mix-ups, and the EX spin is great as a wake-up attack, and to break through armor.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
Here's a couple combos, not that practical but fun to use.

Mid (25%, Meterless): ji2, 11 Spin, j2 to DK, Grab

Corner (33%, 1 Bar): ji2, 44, EX Spin, j2, Uppercut

Last edited:

skater11

The saltiest
Anyone know if it's possible to upload Xbox one's dvr captures to here? Or YouTube or something? So far it's in my captures and only my friends can see it in their feed