What's new

General/Other - Buzz Saw Kung Lao Buzzsaw Variation General discussion.

Afro_physicist

Hat Trick
Anyone know if it's possible to upload Xbox one's dvr captures to here? Or YouTube or something? So far it's in my captures and only my friends can see it in their feed
I've used upload studio for some clips. Log into your account on xbox.com and it's there somewhere. There's no embedded feature yet :/

I've used upload studio for some clips. Log into your account on xbox.com and it's there somewhere. There's no embedded feature yet :/
Make your clip. edit and upload with the studio. go to the youtube app. scroll left to uploads. click upload video and the newest video that pops up is the one you last uploaded from the studio. no need to leave your xbox to upload to youtube.

F4tal

Noob
I don't think people realize how good EX Teleport is, especially against characters who are really dominant in the corner like Sub Zero, Erron Black, etc. Being able to delay it is honestly the icing on the cake for me.

coolwhip

Noob
I don't think people realize how good EX Teleport is, especially against characters who are really dominant in the corner like Sub Zero, Erron Black, etc. Being able to delay it is honestly the icing on the cake for me.
End combos with ex teleport for some stupid guessing game on knockdown. For example end combos with B321~ex tele and delay the ex tele till you see what they do. If they stand block after getting back up, do the grab, if they crouch (which they probably will in order to punish), do the overhead (they can still punish but they don't know when you'll pop up so it's difficult), if they wake-up, you'll just make it whiff and pop up + whiff punish with delayed tele 3 into full combo. Now some wake-ups blow this up like Erron Black and Sub-Zero's slides, while other wake-ups will just escape it. But it's still very good.

skater11

The saltiest
Anyone know how to punish reptiles EX wake up slide? Or even the regular one

Edit: without the use of EX spin.

Afro_physicist

Hat Trick
Anyone know how to punish reptiles EX wake up slide? Or even the regular one

Edit: without the use of EX spin.
If you use hat trick you can call it back (assuming its in front) and that will hit and lead to a ~25% punish.
But in buzzsaw I usually just do a d3 so I'm at the advantage and use a b22 or f23 right after

F4tal

Noob
End combos with ex teleport for some stupid guessing game on knockdown. For example end combos with B321~ex tele and delay the ex tele till you see what they do. If they stand block after getting back up, do the grab, if they crouch (which they probably will in order to punish), do the overhead (they can still punish but they don't know when you'll pop up so it's difficult), if they wake-up, you'll just make it whiff and pop up + whiff punish with delayed tele 3 into full combo. Now some wake-ups blow this up like Erron Black and Sub-Zero's slides, while other wake-ups will just escape it. But it's still very good.

What's funny is I was doing just this yesterday when I played a 6 hour offline session with my scene. The mind games that the EX tele creates is awesome.

skater11

The saltiest
This is may or may not sound confusing but big thanks to anyone who can answer my question. Ok so since kung lao's ex low hat is + on block does that mean that if I hold the ex low hat down for a second, run towards my opponent, and do the 11212 string. Assume the low hat hits in between the string 11212. Will the plus on block carry over since it's all being done as one?

Last edited:
This is may or may not sound confusing but big thanks to anyone who can answer my question. Ok so since kung lao's ex low hat is + on block does that mean that if I hold the ex low hat down for a second, run towards my opponent, and do the 11212 string. Assume the low hat hits in between the string 11212. Will the plus on block carry over since it's all being done as one?
You need to have the ex low hat connect as the last hit to get the advantage. Its about the last move the opponent blocks.

Vjeekes

DevilApes
guys, i'm hanging around with Lao lately, his Buzz Saw variation is great.
But i have serious doubt about his teleport.
What is your oppinion about his teleport/ ex teleport?
Don't tell me the difference, I know that the ex version has armor :)
In MK9 his teleport was almost unbeatable.
In mkx his teleports seems kinda pointless, at least, thats how I feel about it for the moment.
his tele 2 what would give combo possibilities whiffs most of the time

In mkx his teleports seems kinda pointless, at least, thats how I feel about it for the moment.
His teleport in mk9 wasn't unbeatable and had multiple universal counters to it, a lot of people just didnt bother to learn how to punish it. In that aspect it hasn't changed at all. It is still about conditioning the opponent. Each option off of the teleport works depending on what the opponent does or expects you to do.

As you called it yourself, it's a gimmick.

Meter is best saved for ex spin nearly exclusively in this game.

Unless you wanna get damage from b321.
I knw this is about buzzsaw but I want to ask you a question about tempest hat spin. You think the hat spin is good? I think it has its uses but the hats randomly hit, it'snot like you can just approach the opponent, because it sometimes hits and sometimes it hits after a while because the hats happened to not be in front of kung lao. This is kinda risky...and the ex version is a little better but the same thing applies, you still don't get the guaranteed hit if you make the right read.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I knw this is about buzzsaw but I want to ask you a question about tempest hat spin. You think the hat spin is good? I think it has its uses but the hats randomly hit, it'snot like you can just approach the opponent, because it sometimes hits and sometimes it hits after a while because the hats happened to not be in front of kung lao. This is kinda risky...and the ex version is a little better but the same thing applies, you still don't get the guaranteed hit if you make the right read.
Buzzsaw is overall a much better variation than tempest.
The tempest spinny hat doesnt work properly, if you block an attack and its not even in front of you, you lose it. It would make more sense if it had similar properties to the ice clone in that respect, 4f spin is nice, but thats pretty much all you get from the variation.

The ex spin in buzzsaw is probably better, its advancing and multi hitting, still punishes alot of things other people cant.
The low hat gives you more screen control and makes strings like B22 safe, and the ex hats force your opponents to do something typically in your favour.

Jedah

Fallen God
Maybe you Kung lao players can help me out....

How are you guys maintaining pressure? Low hat is -5 and puts you in a 50/50 of Guessing. The teleport is great and all but can be countered quite easily buzzsaw is great especially for the low hat EX spin traps that you can set and great anti air if spaced well but ya. What strings are you guys doing for pressure?

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
The tempest spinny hat doesnt work properly, if you block an attack and its not even in front of you, you lose it. It would make more sense if it had similar properties to the ice clone in that respect, 4f spin is nice, but thats pretty much all you get from the variation.

The ex spin in buzzsaw is probably better, its advancing and multi hitting, still punishes alot of things other people cant.
The low hat gives you more screen control and makes strings like B22 safe, and the ex hats force your opponents to do something typically in your favour.
I agree with this for sure. You get more bang for your buck with buzz saw imo

This is really disappointing because on paper tempest is really good. But the properties of the hat spin just don't add up. It really is tough to give up the damage potential in tempest. I don't have acces to the game until friday for now but I just read tempest spin is now nerfed to 5 frames. Also even if you try to combine the hat spin with a teleport 3, it is random whether you will get a combo off of the tele 3 depending on whether how the hats hit, most of the time the hats make it so you can't even combo off of your tele 3 anymore.

Maybe you Kung lao players can help me out....

How are you guys maintaining pressure? Low hat is -5 and puts you in a 50/50 of Guessing. The teleport is great and all but can be countered quite easily buzzsaw is great especially for the low hat EX spin traps that you can set and great anti air if spaced well but ya. What strings are you guys doing for pressure?
Low hat on block is the worst case scenario, you could make them respect your ex spin if they try to pressure with something that isnt fast enough, but in general low hat on block is the end of your pressure.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
The only real use for his teleport in MK9 was to condition your oponent to not anti-air your jump ins, every character in the game could easily blow the teleport up if used liberally. I would imagine it serves the same basic function in this game.

AeS_TroubleMan

The New Kid on the Block
So does Lao just not have any low openers?

It seems I just have to poke low to open them up for an overhead or throw.

skater11

The saltiest
So does Lao just not have any low openers?

It seems I just have to poke low to open them up for an overhead or throw.
Pretty much. But that doesn't stop him from being a good character(I know you never said he wasn't, I just thought I'd mention that), that's just one of his downsides.
Anyways, you can combo off his ex low hat and f23.

Edit: f23 not being a very good string but oh well. It's there, and it's an option.

Last edited:
Ok what should I be using as a BnB?

44 > RC > B321 spin > JI3 divekick >21

or

B321 Ex straight hat > RC > B32 spin > JI3 divekick > 21

The 44 combo is meterless roughly 35% so it's good but it seems so slow that I get poked out of it all the time unless I jump in. The B321 does around 35% too but uses 1 bar. This is the one I see good players use so I don't know which one to go with.

And using that 11212 string on a pad without jumping in is stupid hard to get to come out. Did NRS want me to burn my thumb off to get him to do that string??

Afro_physicist

Hat Trick
Ok what should I be using as a BnB?

44 > RC > B321 spin > JI3 divekick >21

or

B321 Ex straight hat > RC > B32 spin > JI3 divekick > 21

The 44 combo is meterless roughly 35% so it's good but it seems so slow that I get poked out of it all the time unless I jump in. The B321 does around 35% too but uses 1 bar. This is the one I see good players use so I don't know which one to go with.

And using that 11212 string on a pad without jumping in is stupid hard to get to come out. Did NRS want me to burn my thumb off to get him to do that string??
44 is a powerful string from a confirmed jump in punch or tele 3. Other than that its really hard to land, super long animation frames, and can be backdashed half way through. b321 is his best string by far, throw that out when in neutral.

Shipetopic

50/50 is the best town to live in !
The only real use for his teleport in MK9 was to condition your oponent to not anti-air your jump ins, every character in the game could easily blow the teleport up if used liberally. I would imagine it serves the same basic function in this game.
Yeah, but now during TP Kung Lao goes down, and could be hit by many many different attacks.

CitizenCIA

Awwwh damn.
Yoo, been messing with Kung Lao for the last day or so, Uhh..I'm not going to read through all of this, so excuse me if this has been discovered already or talked about or whatever, but you can AA with 4,4, and get a run cancel EX spin and punish jump ins for about 30%