What's new

Guide - Kung Jin Kung Jin Living Guide Thread

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Getting my ass owned online because of input lag (either that, or I just suck). Any one else having issues pulling off wakeup ex-db3?
If it's a hard knockdown and you try to wake up immediately it wont come out. There's a timing to it so you have to be patient. Also, try doing your EX move like this:

slide from down to back, then hit block before you hit 3. All in one smooth input. This will guarentee the EX bo spin to come out when the time is right. It seems to me that slapping 3+block to at the same time fucks up every now and then.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Absolutely not. Confirming the high hitting u1 into bo swat is much easier than standing 3 because on b14 you have to run into standing 3 while you can just stand there for u1
I guess it's up to the user then. I dont miss the run, but I seem to jump sometimes when I hit U1. Same shit happened when I played as Luthor in IGAU and tried to do his U3.

Whatever is easy for everyone is what they should do, just so long as they finish the combo with 3,4~DB3.

EOTL

This is the optimal bojutsu combo listed in the OP

(starter)~bo swat, 4~bo swat, nj2, ji4~divekick, 3~bo swing = 38-41% (39-42% with ji2)

However the nj2 to ji4 is quite hard with gravity scaling that low. The following combo does the same/more damage and is much easier.

(starter)~bo swat, 4~bo swat, ji4~divekick, 34~bo swing = 39-41% (39-42% with ji2).

Your U1 link reminded of what my ancestral corner combos were missing.
Its interesting that ancestral actually out damages bojutsu in this situation (though stun arrow needed as always)

343~low arrow, load fire arrow, nj2, 4~up arrow, instant divekick, 343~ Lunge Kick = 44%
with a 343~Load stun arrow ender it does 41%.

Last edited:
corner bo swat 4 bo swat question-
is there a trick to get more consistent on the second bo swat after 4?
it seems like I either press it way too early or too late.
after EX bo swing 4 I can always hit the bo swat though

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
The timing is super tight and not worth the extra 1%. Bo spin it up my friend.

Bender

Product Manager. xBone tag: I3end3r.
Whatever is easy for everyone is what they should do, just so long as they finish the combo with 3,4~DB3.
I always end my mid screen combos with b34 - a hard knockdown that puts them in perfect range for KJ's mixup (1% less damage). I actually never finish his combos with 3,4 db3 - I found better corner combo enders for me (46% in corner for 1 bar of meter). To each their own I guess.

Bender

I was working on this last night. You can't mash the 4, but it is available earlier than you think. Practice timing the 4 as early as possible before adding the additional bo swat.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I always end my mid screen combos with b34 - a hard knockdown that puts them in perfect range for KJ's mixup (1% less damage). I actually never finish his combos with 3,4 db3 - I found better corner combo enders for me (46% in corner for 1 bar of meter). To each their own I guess.
Right, we were just talking about the extra 1% extra damage if you were to go for the most damaging combo. I'm also a fan of the hard knock downs, and the (MB) throw resets. :)

Bender

Right, we were just talking about the extra 1% extra damage if you were to go for the most damaging combo. I'm also a fan of the hard knock downs, and the (MB) throw resets. :)
I guess I missed that part of the thread lol.

I made up a new combo last night - try this from mid screen...you should end up in the corner by the end of the combo. JI2 221xxMB DB3 run 34xx BF 4, JI D4, 343xx BF3 - it's like 45% I think - I'm going by my memory.

The jump forward down 4 is the only part that's really tough to execute. If they aren't in the corner by the 343, just do 34xx db3 or 34 xx BF3

It also works with 2 bo swats but the timing is even harder (and keep in mind 221 doesn't connect into bf4 - use 22 instead)

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I guess I missed that part of the thread lol.

I made up a new combo last night - try this from mid screen...you should end up in the corner by the end of the combo. JI2 221xxMB DB3 run 34xx BF 4, JI D4, 343xx BF3 - it's like 45% I think - I'm going by my memory.

The jump forward down 4 is the only part that's really tough to execute. If they aren't in the corner by the 343, just do 34xx db3 or 34 xx BF3

It also works with 2 bo swats but the timing is even harder (and keep in mind 221 doesn't connect into bf4 - use 22 instead)
I'm at work so I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain this combo does the same damage and it's super easy to do:

221~DB3(EX), Run~3~BF4, JI, D4, Run~3,4~DB3

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
I mained Takeda for the first two weeks, after switching to kung jin for 2 days..I already feel stronger with him in every way

Takeda is a good alt however because he deals with zoners well and his biggest weakness is good rushdown..so..worked out.

Bender

I'm at work so I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain this combo does the same damage and it's super easy to do:

221~DB3(EX), Run~3~BF4, JI, D4, Run~3,4~DB3
Yeah looks like the same dmg. Very similar combo - I thought I was the first person to figure out the 34 into a second bo swat launcher lol

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I don't even play Kung Jin, but if you don't do nj2 in this combo it does more damage. The njp's scale hella in this game.

(starter)~MB Bo Swing, nj2, ji~divekick, b21~Bo Swing = 37-40% (38-41%)

Just do (starter)~MB Bo Swing, jk~divekick, b21~Bo Swing.... 221 starter ends up with 42%.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I don't even play Kung Jin, but if you don't do nj2 in this combo it does more damage. The njp's scale hella in this game.

(starter)~MB Bo Swing, nj2, ji~divekick, b21~Bo Swing = 37-40% (38-41%)

Just do (starter)~MB Bo Swing, jk~divekick, b21~Bo Swing.... 221 starter ends up with 42%.
Everyone is super behind on the Kung jin combos. All these players on the streamed tournaments are leaving so much damage on the table. Our meterless BnBs are 36%-39%. MB are 40%-45%, and some of us have been doing them for almost 2 weeks now.

PaYizT

Say it with your chest .
what are the main string i should be using ? b12 seems slow ass hell for me ,111 seems like the only descent one i seen slayer go in on that , kind of lost on how to use the character any help combos are not the issue also what should i be doing to punish people ? i swear people be doing the unsafest moves ever on me and i just end up grabbing them .

what are the main string i should be using ? b12 seems slow ass hell for me ,111 seems like the only descent one i seen slayer go in on that , kind of lost on how to use the character any help combos are not the issue also what should i be doing to punish people ? i swear people be doing the unsafest moves ever on me and i just end up grabbing them .
221 into EX bo swing

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
B1,2, and F2,4 are your main strings in the neutral game. Learn your spacing. 1,1,1 is a bill. There's not many reasons to use it in a neutral situation. It can anti air into combo though. Up close, your fastest punisher is 2,2~bo swat, or 2,2,1 into EX Bo spin. However, the string all the "pros" are ignoring is 3,4~Bo swat. It's extremely confirmable and hits fast. Not only that, it leads to his highest damage meterless combo.

221 into EX bo swing
No. Your go to should NOT be a metered combo. Using meter only gets you another 4-7% on your combos. Not worth it. You want to save that meter for Armor, wake ups, EX specials that grant +frames, and combo breakers.

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
its seems that erron black's command throw removes Jins bow for a moment. any one else notice this?

Re posting because the general discussions seems dead.
What should I work on, I know more combos but I can't do f4 to boswing its so strict.
Also any idea on mains? I like Quanchi but I'm waiting for Jason on Monday.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Getting the most damage out of Bojutsu KJ's corner involves MB Fireball and MB Bo Swing, both.
Some of these are alternates to MB Bo Swing, for equal damage.
**You can substitute 34~bo swing combo ender with 4~bo swing...does same damage and is easier to time, honestly.**

For example, his overhead/low starters result in the same damage:
(starter)~bo swat, 4~mb fireball, ia divekick, 34~bo swing - 43%

Getting max damage one bar:
jip, 111~bo swat, 4~ mb fireball, ia divekick, 34~bo swing - 46% (45% no jip)

Now if you wanna use two bars... (FINALLY, 50%...I think I'm going to cry):
ji2, b214~mb bo swing, 4~mb fireball, ia divekick, 34~bo swing - 50% (50% no jip)

34 starter (high damage punishing):
34~bo swat, 4~mb fireball, divekick, 4~bo swing - 45%
34~mb bo swing, 4~mb fireball, divekick, 4~bo swing - 49%

Divekick and NJP:
Divekick, 11~mb fireball, 34~bo swing (can not substitute 34 for 4 ender) - 36%
NJP, 4~mb fireball, divekick, 4~bo swing - 41%

The timing is strict for the divekick, but the damage payout is worth it once you get it consistently.
:)

@FOREVER KING
@Name v.5.0
@Csalokangas
@EOTL
@Bender
@RiBBz22
@DarksydeDash
@kevkopdx
@Lex Luthor II
@Pan1cMode

Last edited by a moderator:

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Re posting because the general discussions seems dead.
What should I work on, I know more combos but I can't do f4 to boswing its so strict.
Also any idea on mains? I like Quanchi but I'm waiting for Jason on Monday.
You definitely are not using f24 or b14 combo starters at all. That 50/50 is REALLY good and one of the reasons he's a problem. Utilize KJ spacing to your advantage. His f2 has one of the best reaches in the game and combos into mb bo swing for full combo.

Speaking of mb bo swing, on wake-up if you think they are going to try to maintain pressure, mb bo swing into damage to have to respect it. One less thing to worry about. I can't really tell much just by one game vs an Erron Black.

Getting the most damage out of Bojutsu KJ's corner involves MB Fireball and MB Bo Swing, both.
Some of these are alternates to MB Bo Swing, for equal damage.
**You can substitute 34~bo swing combo ender with 4~bo swing...does same damage and is easier to time, honestly.**

For example, his overhead/low starters result in the same damage:
(starter)~bo swat, 4~mb fireball, ia divekick, 34~bo swing - 43%

Getting max damage one bar:
jip, 111~bo swat, 4~ mb fireball, ia divekick, 34~bo swing - 46% (45% no jip)

Now if you wanna use two bars... (FINALLY, 50%...I think I'm going to cry):
ji2, b214~mb bo swing, 4~mb fireball, ia divekick, 34~bo swing - 50% (50% no jip)

Using his best punishing move:
221~bo swat, 4~mb fireball, ia divekick, 34~bo swing - 41%
221~mb bo swing, 4~mb fireball, ia divekick, 34~bo swing - 50% AGAIN :)

34 starter (high damage punishing):
34~bo swat, 4~mb fireball, divekick, 4~bo swing - 45%
34~mb bo swing, 4~mb fireball, divekick, 4~bo swing - 49%

Divekick and NJP:
Divekick, 11~mb fireball, 34~bo swing (can not substitute 34 for 4 ender) - 36%
NJP, 4~mb fireball, divekick, 4~bo swing - 41%

The timing is strict for the divekick, but the damage payout is worth it once you get it consistently.
:)

@FOREVER KING
@Name v.5.0
@Csalokangas
@EOTL
@Bender
@RiBBz22
@DarksydeDash
@kevkopdx
@Lex Luthor II
@Pan1cMode

How do I get the dive kick after the fireball?
Your right, I don't have the habit of using the f24 or b14 combo and on the b14 I miss the nj.
But today I been using it more.