What's new

Guide - Kung Jin Kung Jin Living Guide Thread

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
My Day 2 Kung Jin is better than my Kano and Jacqui since Day -5 ever could be.

New character confirmed. :rolleyes:
Kano and Jacqui are both solid characters too though. Jin's just easier to pick up at the start. I feel Jacqui full auto and Kano cybernetic could be stronger than Jin, but time will tell (or it won't because they'll all probably be nerfed to the ground...)

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Kano and Jacqui are both solid characters too though. Jin's just easier to pick up at the start. I feel Jacqui full auto and Kano cybernetic could be stronger than Jin, but time will tell
I don't know man. I thought the same until I decided to pick up Jin due to my frustration of fighting him. It feels like a completely different game with a character i barely know compared to Cyber Kano who I've put it in about 30-35 hours with already. I can just imagine how much better I can be with this guy. He has answers for all situations lol. I'm going to start on his non Bo variations because they seem to have a lot of untapped potential. His 3 variations might make him the perfect character for a loyalist not to need to switch for MU's as well.

Depending on how much progress I make with him, I might actually use him instead of Kano at Paradise Found next weekend haha.

(or it won't because they'll all probably be nerfed to the ground...)
This is true. Oh it's coming. It's coming. They're all getting it. :DOGE

Though the more I think of it, they would have to destroy Jin for him not to be viable. I think with this toolset he'll still be strong, kind of like how Kung Lao or Aquaman got nerfs but were still very strong characters.

Bender

Product Manager. xBone tag: I3end3r.
He has answers for all situations lol. I'm going to start on his non Bo variations because they seem to have a lot of untapped potential. His 3 variations might make him the perfect character for a loyalist not to need to switch for MU's as well.
I gotta say, I just spent some time with the Shaolin variation. Seems pretty strong for certain MU's and was super easy to pick - switching over from bojitsu variation. I've heard he's good against against grandmaster sub. (1) Can he db 3 over the clone and d 4 on sub's head? (2) I'm curious to see if his chakra can go through the clone and damage sub on the other side. Seems like the MB version should anyway. Will take it to the training room later.

I like him more than Ancestral, but will probably keep bojitsu as my main man. What's everyone else's take?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I gotta say, I just spent some time with the Shaolin variation. Seems pretty strong for certain MU's and was super easy to pick - switching over from bojitsu variation. I've heard he's good against against grandmaster sub. (1) Can he db 3 over the clone and d 4 on sub's head? (2) I'm curious to see if his chakra can go through the clone and damage sub on the other side. Seems like the MB version should anyway. Will take it to the training room later.

I like him more than Ancestral, but will probably keep bojitsu as my main man. What's everyone else's take?
After using him myself I actually don't even think you need all 3. Everyone has to play Bojutsu for obvious reasons, and then your back up can be either Ancestral or Shaolin for those MU's where it might be too zone heavy.

Yea he can straight punish clones like no other lol.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Interesting idea. I was thinking of picking someone else up for zoning matches, never thought of just trying his diff variations. Cuz Im stupid.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
@CoRzz Jin , just have to say youre doing an awesome job with this thread! good work! its the opposite of the zatanna thread for injustice lol
Thanks man! I'm super happy to help.
I am trying to also learn Erron Black and it's hard to find anything at all so I'm happy I'm making this easy for everybody.

TalS

Noob
I have an easy meterless combo which does 24%. Why does it only do 10% when I use it after 221~mb Chakram Throw? Is it getting weaker as the combo goes on or am I missing some hits?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I have an easy meterless combo which does 24%. Why does it only do 10% when I use it after 221~mb Chakram Throw? Is it getting weaker as the combo goes on or am I missing some hits?
Yes, this is known as damage scaling. As a combo progresses, each move will do less and less damage. Some moves scale damage more (such is njp) so you might get more damage omitting it, even if it is an extra hit.

EOTL

Yo, I'm going to try and be more active on this forum. Always loved archers and rolled them in MOBAs/MMOs and always mained staff characters like Kilik, Hilde, Nightwing so this character is an instant lock for me. Can I request some things be added to the OP.

A Description of starters and ender
Combos for Ancestral

Standard Universal Starters
All starters are safe if stopped after two hits (hit-confirm your combos) apart from 221 which is safe after 3 hits.

• B213- 10% 3 hits, hit confirmable, 15 frame punish. Longer Range, but slower startup
  • 221- 11% 3 hits, hit confirmable 6 frame punish. Quickest punish but short range
  • 111- 10% 3hits, hit confirmable, 8 frame punish. Slightly longer reach than 34. Medium of speed and range between 2 and b2.
  • B14- 6% 2 hits. hit confirmable with practice, low starter.
  • F24- 6% 2 hits , hit confirmable, overhead starter
Variation Standard Universal Enders

• Lunge Kick - bf3 - Creates Space for zoning.
  • Cartwheel Drop - db4- Hard Knockdown, no tech roll. Keeps opponent close for mixups. MB/EX provides more setup time
Variation Specific

Bojustu
  • Bo Swing - db3 - great damage. Space for Zoning if they techroll; Oki if they don't. Outclasses Lunge kick in every aspect
Shaolin/Ancestral

• ji1/2, 34 - After a stun arrow or MB chakram on a standing opponent, KJ in either of these variations may opt to go for this ender and leave the opponent standing but in stagger state for 21 frames providing a free mixup
Shaolin
  • Up King, Shaolin Drop - db3d4. great damage. Leaves opponent close with good frame advantage for oki.
Ancestral
  • xxLoad Arrow- gets a safe charge of whatever arrow you desire with no risk from quick advancing specials and some oki if they don't tech roll. Does similar damage to lunge kick in many midscreen situations and other more damaging enders are not available in this variation.
  • Low Arrow- When fire arrows are loaded provides a slight damage increase over lunge kick as an ender.
Universal Meterless Combos Anywhere
  • (Starter)xxLunge Kick 13-18%
  • (Starter)xxCartwheel Drop 12-17%
  • 343xxLunge Kick 21% - Highest meterless punish
  • b212+4 - 14% - Hard Knockdown can't be techrolled
  • nj2, ji Divekick, b21 Lunge Kick - 21% (This is the easy version. Harder version based which only works on nj2 on the way down is nj2, ji3xDivekick, run cancel 34 xxLunge Kick for 25%)
  • Divekick, nj2, run cancel 221xx Lunge Kick - 25%
Universal Meterless Combos Corner
  • F2D1xx Up Arrow, 11, 343xx Lunge Kick - 24% (Leave out 11 for easier combo and 23%)
Universal 1 Meter Combos Anywhere
  • (Starter )xx Cartwheel Smash(MB db4) -18-23%
Universal 1 Meter Combos Corner
  • 343xxCartwheel Smash (MB db4) - 26%
  • F2D1xxUp Arrow, 343xx Cartwheel Smash (MB db4) - 27%
X-Ray Combos

343xxXRay - 45%
StarterxxXRay- 37-42%
Divekick, Run Cancel 343xxXray - 48%

Bojustsu Combos midscreen are fine though might be worth mentioned that ji3 instead of nj2 when you can adds 1% more and run 34 adds 1%more than b21. Haven't tried corner stuff much yet.

Ancestral Combos Midscreen Meterless

Without arrow loaded use Universal combos for damage

• StarterxxLoad Arrow - 6-11%
  • 343xxLoad Arrow - 14%
  • StarterxxFire Arrow 14-19%
  • 343xxFire Arrow 22%
  • (stun arrow loaded)StarterxxLow Arrow, dash forward nj2, ji3xxDivekick, run cancel 343xx load arrow - 27-31%
  • (stun arrow loaded)StarterxxLlow Arrow, load stun arrow, ji2, 34 -17-21% - Vortex option
  • (stun arrow loaded)StarterxxLow Arrow, load any arrow, j2 343xxLunge Kick - 26-30% Less time on arrow that xx load arrow ender but potentially better oki. Does 27-31%% with Fire arrow ender. Does 22-27% with Vampiric arrow ender. Vamp arrows take about 0.45 of a bar.
  • (stun arrow loaded)343xxLow Arrow, dash forward twice, nj2, ji3xDivekick, run cancel 221xx Load Arrow - 33%
  • (stun arrow loaded) f2d1xxStraight Arrow, dash forward twice, nj2, ji3xDivekick, run cancel 221xx Load Arrow - 21%
Ancestral Combos Corner Meterless
  • (stun arrow loaded)StarterxxLow Arrow, load vamp arrow, nj2, Up Arrow, instant Divekick, 343xxLow Arrow- 26-31%. 0.9% of a bar meter stolen (not taking into account normal meter gain from being hit)
  • (stun arrow loaded)StarterxxLow Arrow, load fire arrow, nj2, Up Arrow, instant Divekick, 343xxLow Arrow- 34-38%%.
  • F2D1xx Load Stun Arrow, 22xxLow Arrow, nj2, ji3xxDivekick 34xLunge Kick - 25% - Relatively tight link. Universal version probably better for only 1-2% damage drop

XRay Combos
    Starterxx Low Arrow ji2, 343xxXRay -46-50%
    343xxLow Arrow, Dash Forward, ji2, 343xxXRay - 53%
That's all I've got for now
@CoRzz Jin

Last edited:

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
I was not satisfied by the 29% damage combo I usually do off a divekick, so I came up with :

Divekick, b2xxBoSwat, runxx34xxBoSwing = 31%

It's very easy, reliable, and does very good damage...1% less than what I think it's max damage possible (you can Divekick, runxx3xxBoSwat, runxx34xxBoSwing for 32%) but much easier.

If somehow anyone needs an even easier version you might try :

Divekick, f3xxBoSwat, runxx34xxBoSwing = 30%

Last edited:
Hi, I've been using Shaolin a lot with Kung Jin and although I started off with disliking the variation I now feel it's extremely strong.

The reasons for this change of heart is mostly down to the chakram he possesses in this variation. I feel that the new combo strings ge gains utilising the chakram are very good especially 221 and 112. 221 because it's extremely quick with decent range and 112 because it looks like 111 with a low at the end instead which gets a lot! Of people.

Furthermore the chakram offers Kung Jin's best tool in this variation when you enhance it in that it offers up a nice vortex for him. This vortex is great because you can pretty much do over 40% for 1 meter if they guess wrong and if God forbid they guess wrong twice then it's almost game over.

The vortex is performed by doing a basic combo string into an enhanced chakram (low or normal) however I find low to be best as it hits low and can get a lot of people if they were blocking high to block your combo string first. The main combo strings I use into an enhanced Chakram are 221, back12 and forward 2 the first of which is fast with good range and the other two hit low and overhead.

After you have hit an enhanced chakram do a jump in 2 then 34 this will combo after the chakram if you do the jump in two quickly enough otherwise it won't and will get blocked. Doing the 34 combo leaves the opponent in a stagger state while in this state you can input your next moves which they will then have to guess which way to block (low or high) the low mix up I use is back 12 which hits low or forward 24 which hits overhead I follow these up ON HIT with down back 3 down 4 for about 19% or so. The other mix up you have available to you is that if they block well you can run up and throw them which gets a lot of people.

Overall I think this variation is hugely underused and therefore will not be known to many in online play meaning they won't have a fucking clue what'd going on when you're hitting your mixups left right and centre.

Anyway thanks for reading and hope this helps some people out. FOR THE SHAOLIN!

FinalBoss_FGC

Using u1 mid-combo

"Kung Jin can get 41% off of a meter combo without jump-in!"
How about 45 tho?

First of all, we are going to talk about increasing the damage of his b14 and f24 starters

b14~bo swat, u1~bo swat, ji divekick, run~34~bo swing - 36%
b24~bo swat, run (quickly~u1~bo swat, ji divekick, run~34~bo swing - 36%

These are looking to be the highest damages thus far with those starters and no meter.

b14~mb bo swing, u1~bo swat, ji divekick, run~34~bo swing - 41% (that's right, 41% off of a 50/50 with one meter)
f24~mb bo swing, u1~bo swat, ji divekick, run~34~bo swing - 41% as well

39% meterless? gahdamn.
111 or b214~bo swat, run~u1~bo swat, divekick, run~34~bob swing - 39%

Now, about that 45% I was talking about...
111 or b214~mb bo swing, run~u1~bo swat, ji4~divekick, run~34~bo swing - 45% and it looks fucking dope.

See below:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9pgV9DyxAM

I couldn't find anything too useful in the corner as u1 can't hit confirm from bo swat because the reach is past the opponent...so just use 4 in the corner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Varion

Noob
Using u1 mid-combo

How about 45 tho?

First of all, we are going to talk about increasing the damage of his b14 and f24 starters

These are looking to be the highest damages thus far with those starters and no meter.

b14~mb bo swing, u1~bo swat, ji divekick, run~34~bo swing - 41% (that's right, 41% off of a 50/50 with one meter)

39% meterless? gahdamn.

111 or b214~mb bo swing, run~u1~bo swat, ji4~divekick, run~34~bo swing - 45% and it looks fucking dope.

See below:

I couldn't find anything too useful in the corner as u1 can't hit confirm from bo swat because the reach is past the opponent...so just use 4 in the corner.
God

Damn

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Using u1 mid-combo

How about 45 tho?

39% meterless? gahdamn.

See below:

It's not actually the u1 giving you the extra damage. It's the run~3,4 at the end instead of the normal b2,1~db3. Life is much easier when you take the u1 out and replace it with a standing 3.

Getting my ass owned online because of input lag (either that, or I just suck). Any one else having issues pulling off wakeup ex-db3?

FinalBoss_FGC

It's not actually the u1 giving you the extra damage. It's the run~3,4 at the end instead of the normal b2,1~db3. Life is much easier when you take the u1 out and replace it with a standing 3.
Absolutely not. Confirming the high hitting u1 into bo swat is much easier than standing 3 because on b14 you have to run into standing 3 while you can just stand there for u1