What's new

Guide - Kung Jin Kung Jin Living Guide Thread

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Bojutsu combos:

MIDSCREEN

Meterless

starter~bf4, b2~bf4, jid4, RUN~34~db3

111 (38%), f24 (35%), b14 (35%), b214 (38%)

jid4, b2~bf4, RUN~34~db3 (31%)

Meter

starter~db3(ex), b2~bf4, ji4~d4, RUN~34~db3

221 (44%), 111 (43%), f24 (41%), b14 (41%), b214 (44%)

Will post corner later. These aren't all that hard to do. Easier than Cassie's combos by a mile.

EDIT:

Apparently some of these are char specific. I tried them on Cassie and they worked fine but (ironically) they drop against Jin himself.

Last edited:

Bender

Product Manager. xBone tag: I3end3r.
For those having trouble with Full Auto Jacqui...I wrote this up for myself after playing this matchup a ton and figuring her out in the lab. I guess this could be added to the guide for MU sake. Enjoy the novel:

Full Auto Jacqui MU:

Her zoning:

Jacqui will back up and abuse her machine gun. It’s 4 shots and does 7% and it’s a high so you can duck it. You can’t punish it and it cannot be easily jumped over. You’re forced to dash in between shots but be careful because the window between shots is tight, forcing you to dash as soon as the last bullet passes. She can meterburn the shots and fire a rocket which sends you back again. It’s likely she use this tactic when you start getting closer to her. When you get close to Jacqui as she spams machine gun, she’ll start to fire off the up rocket to prevent jump ins. If you jump in and get hit, expect to be full combo punished and pushed to the back of the screen. The up rocket will also stuff your run/dash when you are close to her.

It should also be noted that anytime Jacqui knocks you down, expect her to fire off the machine gun as you get up. It knocks Jin out of his wakeup options and is completely safe for her.

Her Footsies:

Her main strings are F1,2 which hits mid, B2 which hits overhead, and B33, which hits low. All 3 are safe on block. F1,2 and B2 can hit from around jump in distance. The range on those normal is actually close to on par with Jin’s. They are not to be underestimated.

Block Strings: If you block a string from Jacqui it may be followed up with an up rocket. This puts Jacqui at +11. This is fantastic frame trap as long as you’re blocking high. You must block low to escape the up rocket. If you started by blocking high you cannot block the first rocket, you have to wait till the next cycle. When you get the up rocket to whiff, she’s full combo punishable. Once she’s realized you’ve figured that out she’ll mix it up with throws, back dashes etc.

Meat and potatoes Strategy:

Patience is the key. The first thing you have to do is get in. Once you back her into a corner she’ll wait for you to get close to try and use B2, or F1,2. If you anticipate this, depending on range, you can B1, F2, NJP (watch out for up rocket), or armor through her attacks. Once knocked down she’s limited on options. Her wake ups are unsafe so she won’t be totally willing the throw them out. Keep up the pressure, and keep her on her ass.

After extended playing you might see Jacqui players zoning and then running up to you while you’re crouched to use her footsies against you. She might also try to run up to bait you and cancel into low rocket which mixed with machine guns knocks you full screen again. If she ever runs at you, jump back. It beats all her attacks except dash uppercut and machine guns. If she doesn’t use those 2 options you can full combo punish her footsies game and dodge any rocket attacks. If you read machine guns, jump in attack for full combo, if you read the dashing uppercut, block and full punish.
Sounds about right. Nice analysis - it's such an annoying MU to play, but I still think KJ wins this MU.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
So what's the advantage of Shaolin? If you want zoning you go Ancestral. If you want damage/rushdown/reach you go Bojutsu. What's the point of throwing the Chakram if you also can shoot arrows? The only thing I see that's any good is the arcing dive. Are his normals better or something? Vanilla Kung Jin already has pretty good normals and good setups to get good damage on his other variations.
The chakram doesn't need to be loaded and restands for a vortex/setup situation.

What are most of you doing to stuff wakeups? I think I am going to lab some real shutdown option tonight.

Bender

The chakram doesn't need to be loaded and restands for a vortex/setup situation.

What are most of you doing to stuff wakeups? I think I am going to lab some real shutdown option tonight.
F3. Blows up armor wakeup if timed right. Or block if its unsafe and punish.

GTDoffen

Meet your fate...
you sure you posted this right? XD
34 into jp3?
theres no way ill attempt that online unless im missing something
It is jump kick 3, the kick with a downward angle. 34 has good recovery frames, so you can pretty much do JI3 almost instantly after a 32.

Either way, you can always just do divekick after 34, for 2% less.

TalS

Noob
Anybody feels like recording this combo for Shaolin variation?
MB
ji2, 221~mb Chakram Throw, nj1, run~ji4~divekick, run~34~up flying kick~d4 = 35% - Chris G S

I'm having some troubles executing it after the chakram throw and I wan't to see how it should be looking

It is jump kick 3, the kick with a downward angle. 34 has good recovery frames, so you can pretty much do JI3 almost instantly after a 32.

JI3 was what i meant sorry. Ill give it a go when I get home

For those having trouble with Full Auto Jacqui...I wrote this up for myself after playing this matchup a ton and figuring her out in the lab. I guess this could be added to the guide for MU sake. Enjoy the novel:

Full Auto Jacqui MU:

Her zoning:

Jacqui will back up and abuse her machine gun. It’s 4 shots and does 7% and it’s a high so you can duck it. You can’t punish it and it cannot be easily jumped over. You’re forced to dash in between shots but be careful because the window between shots is tight, forcing you to dash as soon as the last bullet passes. She can meterburn the shots and fire a rocket which sends you back again. It’s likely she use this tactic when you start getting closer to her. When you get close to Jacqui as she spams machine gun, she’ll start to fire off the up rocket to prevent jump ins. If you jump in and get hit, expect to be full combo punished and pushed to the back of the screen. The up rocket will also stuff your run/dash when you are close to her.

It should also be noted that anytime Jacqui knocks you down, expect her to fire off the machine gun as you get up. It knocks Jin out of his wakeup options and is completely safe for her.

Her Footsies:

Her main strings are F1,2 which hits mid, B2 which hits overhead, and B33, which hits low. All 3 are safe on block. F1,2 and B2 can hit from around jump in distance. The range on those normal is actually close to on par with Jin’s. They are not to be underestimated.

Block Strings: If you block a string from Jacqui it may be followed up with an up rocket. This puts Jacqui at +11. This is fantastic frame trap as long as you’re blocking high. You must block low to escape the up rocket. If you started by blocking high you cannot block the first rocket, you have to wait till the next cycle. When you get the up rocket to whiff, she’s full combo punishable. Once she’s realized you’ve figured that out she’ll mix it up with throws, back dashes etc.

Patience is the key. The first thing you have to do is get in. Once you back her into a corner she’ll wait for you to get close to try and use B2, or F1,2. If you anticipate this, depending on range, you can B1, F2, NJP (watch out for up rocket), or armor through her attacks. Once knocked down she’s limited on options. Her wake ups are unsafe so she won’t be totally willing the throw them out. Keep up the pressure, and keep her on her ass.

After extended playing you might see Jacqui players zoning and then running up to you while you’re crouched to use her footsies against you. She might also try to run up to bait you and cancel into low rocket which mixed with machine guns knocks you full screen again. If she ever runs at you, jump back. It beats all her attacks except dash uppercut and machine guns. If she doesn’t use those 2 options you can full combo punish her footsies game and dodge any rocket attacks. If you read machine guns, jump in attack for full combo, if you read the dashing uppercut, block and full punish.
Thanks for putting in the time to write this. After placing second in the EU ESL tourney on sunday I lost pretty bad to a FA Jacqui in the first round on wednesday (first Jacqui i played ever). Just struggled allot to get in whenever she managed to get me at full screen. Has anyone tried counter zoning against horizontal projectile zoners in ancestral?

Bender

Thanks for putting in the time to write this. After placing second in the EU ESL tourney on sunday I lost pretty bad to a FA Jacqui in the first round on wednesday (first Jacqui i played ever). Just struggled allot to get in whenever she managed to get me at full screen. Has anyone tried counter zoning against horizontal projectile zoners in ancestral?
No, but I want to. I lost to Kenshi's zoning at a tournament last Tuesday and imagine his jumping down arrows could counter most horizontal zoning characters (obviously Kenshi has overheads which would make it tricky, if not impossible).

It's on my to do list - I feel like I have bojitsu down really well at this point.

ShanxterX

@shanxterx follow me hoes
Anyone tried zoning with ancestral , is it good ? Trying to develop that side of Kung Jin against some heavy zoners

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Who do I learn next???? After mastering jin everyone else feels sub par
Once you've got your combo execution down its time to start making sure you can hit confirm every mix up possible and start understanding his ground/footsie game. There's always more to learn my friend.

Varion

Noob
Once you've got your combo execution down its time to start making sure you can hit confirm every mix up possible and start understanding his ground/footsie game. There's always more to learn my friend.
Very true, I guess I just don't want to burn myself out on him. Looking to switch it up with another kombatants, but none of them seem worthy compared to king jin.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness

Which Chakram move restands for vortex?
I'd love to know if it's better than Meter-burn throw and its 25 plus frames at the corner, where Jin's meterless damage is beautiful.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Very true, I guess I just don't want to burn myself out on him. Looking to switch it up with another kombatants, but none of them seem worthy compared to king jin.
Playing other characters is always good as long as you dont neglect your main too much, I know when I play a character too often I tend to start other thinking stuff and play way worse lol.

Varion

Noob
Playing other characters is always good as long as you dont neglect your main too much, I know when I play a character too often I tend to start other thinking stuff and play way worse lol.
Do you have an alt? I was looking at Takeda but after reading about his slow normals and how he's not good under pressure I said lol nope, and still looking around. Maybe Raiden, or something

Random 1bar corner combo I found mostly because I wanted to see more bo flame on my screen :p

StarterxxBow swat~4xxBo inferno~1~Dive Kick~3,4xxBo Swing

Starter: 1,1,1= 46%
F2,4/ B1,4=43%
3,4 =45%
2,2=42%
B2,1,4= 46%

Im no combo artist so I wouldn't be surprised if someone could get more out of it

Last edited:

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH

Full Auto Jacqui MU:

Her zoning:

Her Footsies:

I nominate this post to become a spoiler tag in the Match Ups Section of this guide. Great write up! I'm sure a lot of players are going to find this useful! @CoRzz Jin

Last edited: