What's new

Tech Kitana Kombo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a pretty simple corner combo that does respectable damage.

9 hits (40% damage)
j.2, toward + 4, 1, away + 2, d, f + 1, dash in, away + 2, d, f + 1

You can replace the last fan toss with an x-ray and get 53% if you're feeling flashy or that 13% will win the match.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
f21 is safe on block, not whiff. b2 to square wave is great to put on pressure and get out of corners.

jps~21~:en Fan (hold), ff~uf, jps~f21, 4~Fan, ff~4~Fan Lift, ff, jk~Air Fan, ff, Fan, ff~4~df2 = 53% for one meter.

You might be able to get a b2~Air Fan instead in the underlined part in the above combo for more damage. I haven't tested if you can get there in time though.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana

9 hits (40% damage)

You can replace the last fan toss with an x-ray and get 53% if you're feeling flashy or that 13% will win the match.
I would do something more like:

jps~f41, b2~Air Fan, 4~Fan, 333~df2, d1

That should be 50% or so. Not that yours is bad or anything, I've used it many times ^_^

bob

Noob
f21 is safe on block, not whiff. b2 to square wave is great to put on pressure and get out of corners.

jps~21~:en Fan (hold), ff~uf, jps~f21, 4~Fan, ff~4~Fan Lift, ff, jk~Air Fan, ff, Fan, ff~4~df2 = 53% for one meter.

You might be able to get a b2~Air Fan instead in the underlined part in the above combo for more damage. I haven't tested if you can get there in time though.
you can...just dash twice
it's 2% more

does anyone know how the damage scaling works

because if you add
jps~21~:en Fan (hold), ff~uf, jps~ to this:
f+2,1, u1, 4~d,f+1, 2~d,f+1, 2~:en b,b+2, double dash, b+2~d,f+1, dash d,f+1, dash 4~d,f+2, 2

it won't really make more dmg...

Sorry, I haven't much time on my hands.
I think i put the input correctly on my first post, not sure. Was never good with that.

I won't be on till tonight, so ill try out yours konqurr, thanks so much guys.
I really need to buy a capture card too, so please bare with my low quality.

Thanks!!!

DrDogg

Noob
I think i put the input correctly on my first post, not sure. Was never good with that.

Thanks!!!
No offense, but if you're going to create this kind of thread, you really need to keep the first post updated with all of the combos listed in the thread. It's much easier than having people search through the thread for all of the combos.

MOD: Can someone update the first post with all of the combos in this thread if Mr. Kitana isn't going to do it?

1. I'm a VF player, hitchecking off 1,1 and 2,1, is extremely... and I repeat, extremely easy for me to do. The window is huge, especially for 2,1, and I don't think it would be a problem for you either coming from DOA or Tekken. Tap b, as 1,1 or 2,1 is touching opponent, if it's hitting follow up with b,2. Remember 2,1 is much much easier to confirm than 1,1. Although since there's no frame date available, I'm guessing 1,1 starts faster than 2,1 although the combo loses 1%(lol) damage, and 2,1 has largely more range, so you can walk in with it from distance.

You can hitcheck 1,1, and 2,1 into any of her special moves on visual check alone, complete the strings, backdash, stop and throw, or start the string over again for pressure.
I play Tekken, VF and SC... not so much DOA. I haven't had the chance to check out hit confirming those combo strings (compared to hit confirming other character's 2-hit strings), but just glancing at my Kitana notes, I don't think it's wise to use 1,1 and 2,1 because both attacks are high (they will only hit crouching opponents if they're blocking). A low attack and even an uppercut will beat 1,1 and 2,1 (f+4,1 has the same problem).

My next step with Kitana is to figure out her poking game. I was playing offline matches last night and her poking/footsies game was lacking. But when I was playing her the last few days I was focusing more on combos than poking, so I think that will be my next focus.

As it stands, upclose game feels like VF or Tekken, based on using advantage and string manipulation and hitchecking, aswell as possible forced choice tactics based on frames. Seems like quite a few characters, can play off the 1 Jab. Stuff like this is probably beneficial for Kitana vs characters with teleports and for possible nightmares like Smoke(which it seems like he'd just flat out destroy most of Kitana's game if it's not pointblank).

But once you're out of pointblank or upclose, it's back to classic Mortal Kombat which might end up being matchup heavy on specials. Don't quote me on this though, see for yourself. This game looks to have viable styles from players coming from different fighting game backgrounds.
I agree with this 100%. I really, really wish we had frame data, because that would be so beneficial right now. I plan on taking some time this upcoming week to figure out some basic frame data for my mains. Right now that includes Kitana, so hopefully I'll have something to report in the coming week.

@Action Kungfu
How do you get u1 to hit after f+2,1? I tried and its very unreliable, half the time you just punch the empty air.
Under most circumstance just do u1/u2 immediately after the move. However, it's best to get used to watching the height instead. If Kitana is parallel then it'll connect. On moves like fan lift, you have to pause a good bit before doing it, but with f+2,1 in this combo, just do it right away.

Thanks!!!
I think all the combos mentioned are viable dude, not just Konqrr's. The thing about this game is that, you're definitely going to have to vary up your combos, and on the fly too, because of Breakers. If they can't predict when your strike is going to hit, instead of a fan, then they won't be able to use the Breaker except when the combo begins if it starts with a strike.

Which in that case, punishing moves at times might be more beneficial to actually begin with just the Fan Lift itself, too. I can already feel that some characters with punishable but rewarding moves, will go for them with a bit of abandon when a Breaker is stocked.

I play Tekken, VF and SC... not so much DOA. I haven't had the chance to check out hit confirming those combo strings (compared to hit confirming other character's 2-hit strings), but just glancing at my Kitana notes, I don't think it's wise to use 1,1 and 2,1 because both attacks are high (they will only hit crouching opponents if they're blocking). A low attack and even an uppercut will beat 1,1 and 2,1 (f+4,1 has the same problem).
Kitana's strikes being high, I think some of it is hitbox based? Not just property based, but I dont know. Like for example her 1,1 the first hit is clearly very high up, but the second hit is closer to the midsection. It's(the 2nd hit) probably just high in property so it can be guarded in crouch(though with 1,1 I agree and think the 2nd hit will whiff too as you're saying), but I'm just guessing. Either way, if it whiffs on the opponent not blocking, then that's a great control variable for Kitana in itself though.

I think it would go along the lines of what I was saying that characters can play off the 1 jab. Like how in Tekken or VF play, one would throw out a single jab to test the waters.

And also, in games like UMK3 you could also crouch jabs when letting go of block aswell, but I think you'd fall prey to knee lift attacks, and those could be guarded crouch or standing(unsure if the property of those moves were considered special mid or notated as high with a hitbox that could not be crouch attacked under).

My next step with Kitana is to figure out her poking game. I was playing offline matches last night and her poking/footsies game was lacking. But when I was playing her the last few days I was focusing more on combos than poking, so I think that will be my next focus.
I still think 1. 1,1. 2,1. f+3. f+2. d+4. and uppercut are some pretty good pokes for her, atm.

I agree with this 100%. I really, really wish we had frame data, because that would be so beneficial right now. I plan on taking some time this upcoming week to figure out some basic frame data for my mains. Right now that includes Kitana, so hopefully I'll have something to report in the coming week.
Cool, look forward to it.

You know, I feel that the game's training should've had something the CPU could respond with immediately after guarding. Like guard a move, then uppercut, guard a move, then throw, etc.

No offense, but if you're going to create this kind of thread, you really need to keep the first post updated with all of the combos listed in the thread. It's much easier than having people search through the thread for all of the combos.

MOD: Can someone update the first post with all of the combos in this thread if Mr. Kitana isn't going to do it?
Well, I wanted you guys to share it here.
Noone ever made a thread for her, so I made it.

If you are going to be rude about it, how about you find all of the combos, type them out, and post them in a post. Ill copy and paste it to my first post and credit you.

It doesn't take a mod to do that.
So you go ahead and do it.

DrDogg

Noob
Kitana's strikes being high, I think some of it is hitbox based? Not just property based, but I dont know. Like for example her 1,1 the first hit is clearly very high up, but the second hit is closer to the midsection. It's(the 2nd hit) probably just high in property so it can be guarded in crouch(though with 1,1 I agree and think the 2nd hit will whiff too as you're saying), but I'm just guessing. Either way, if it whiffs on the opponent not blocking, then that's a great control variable for Kitana in itself though.
I'll test those pokes out, but what I mean about 1,1 and 2,1 is that if you try to pressure with those strings, it's very easy for an opponent to poke you out of both with a low attack or an uppercut. The low attack/uppercut would come out during the first attack in both strings since they do not hit crouching opponents unless they're blocking.

There have been many times when I've tried to pressure with other characters using similar attacks, and I get hit out of the string because the opponent is mashing uppercut or low attacks. That's why I'm trying to stick to combos that start with special-mid attacks (or overheads) so that they can't be interrupted as easily.

Still a lot of experimenting to do, but those are my thoughts on the matter from the experiences I've had.

Well, I wanted you guys to share it here.
Noone ever made a thread for her, so I made it.

If you are going to be rude about it, how about you find all of the combos, type them out, and post them in a post. Ill copy and paste it to my first post and credit you.

It doesn't take a mod to do that.
So you go ahead and do it.
Sorry if you think I'm being rude, but that was the second time I asked. You ignored my first post about it. So if you want to toss around the rude card (unnecessary if you ask me), you should probably start with yourself.

And guess what? I didn't make the thread because I don't have the time to compile all of the combos and keep the thread updated. That's why I suggested a mod do it, if you don't have the time.

:coffee:

BnB combos I made with my b2 combo follow up instead of the usual chain. Sorry quality isn't the best.

1st combo, 39% from 1,1
2nd combo, 41% from 2,1
3rd combo, 42% from f+2,1
4rd combo, 51% from 2,1 with 1 ex-fan.

I know people have better follow up from f+2,1 ... but for the others I think its the best so far. What I like about my b2 follow up is that its very consistent and not that hard to do.

Last combo is really a pain in the ass. Screw up so much on the u1 after f+2,1. It also carry amazingly well, as you saw it carried half screen and I probably could fit some pokes at the end near the wall.

P.S If you add jump in at the start its about ~2% extra damage.

Credits to Action Kungfu for the u1 idea, and Konqrr for the ex-fan idea.

I'll test those pokes out, but what I mean about 1,1 and 2,1 is that if you try to pressure with those strings, it's very easy for an opponent to poke you out of both with a low attack or an uppercut. The low attack/uppercut would come out during the first attack in both strings since they do not hit crouching opponents unless they're blocking.

There have been many times when I've tried to pressure with other characters using similar attacks, and I get hit out of the string because the opponent is mashing uppercut or low attacks. That's why I'm trying to stick to combos that start with special-mid attacks (or overheads) so that they can't be interrupted as easily.

Still a lot of experimenting to do, but those are my thoughts on the matter from the experiences I've had.
I tested.
Crouching:

1,1: Unguarded first hit whiffs, 2nd hit connects. Guarded, both hits touch.
2,1: Unguarded 2 whiff, 1 touches. Guarded both touch.
f+3,1: Does not whiff.
f+2,1: Does not whiff.
b+3,3: Unguarded b+3 touches, followup whiffs when at range, point blank it connects. Guarded b+3 crouched and can stay crouch blocking to avoid the followup 3. At a specific range, the followup 3 of b+3, can whiff even on hit.
4: Does not whiff.
f+4: Whiffs.
3: Does not whiff.

Specials:
ground fan toss: can be crouched under, but not crouched guarded under.
fan swipe(df2): can be crouched and crouch guarded under
double kicks(db3): both hits whiff on crouch. 2nd hit will whiffs a crouch guarder.

ex fan toss: Unguarded whiffs. Guarded does not whiff.
ex fan swipe: Unguarded 1st swing whiffs, 2nd swing hits. Guarded, all touch.
ex double kicks: Unguarded whiffs. Guarded touches.

@silverfish: nice combos man, btw who's Kufu? Is that me?

@Action Kungfu
How do you get u1 to hit after f+2,1? I tried and its very unreliable, half the time you just punch the empty air.
It works for me quite reliably by pressing u (very, very short pause) then pressing one, so I'm actually swinging on the way up. So I'm basically hitting 1 the very instant she leaves the ground.

I would do something more like:

jps~f41, b2~Air Fan, 4~Fan, 333~df2, d1

That should be 50% or so. Not that yours is bad or anything, I've used it many times ^_^
Aye, I use that when offline. The original I posted is my BnB corner combo online. I just find 3, 3, 3, into any special to be quite unreliable online, at least until I get more experience under my belt.

Excuse me, but what does jps mean?
I'm assuming it means jump punches as in either punch will work.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
jps = Jump Punch Starter meaning it starts a ground combo. It's an UMK3 term sorry for the confusion.

I plan to make a vid soon.

Pistol

Noob
f+2,1, u1, 4~fan, 4~lift, double dash, b+2~fan, fan, 4~d,f+2

51% no meter
I'll try that when I hook my ps3 back up. That looks easy. We may have a winner.

I might replace the 4~d,f+2 at the end, with f2~d,f+2 because I never miss that, and you're only losing 1%.

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
Kitana might be one of the most underrated or under the radar top tier fighters right now. anyone else agree?

9 hits (40% damage)
This works midscreen too.
-

I put together this one from f+4,1:
f+4,1, dash, 4~fan lift, dash x2, 4~fan, minidash, 2~fan, f+2~fan cutter 42%

I'm pretty sure you can replace the 2~fan with another 4~fan but it's much more difficult to get consistent with.

I'm looking for max damage from 2,1~fan lift right now, anybody got anthing for that?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I'm looking for max damage from 2,1~fan lift right now, anybody got anthing for that?
38% - 21~Fan Lift, wait, b2~Air Fan, 4~Fan, 4~Cutter

MUCH more reliable and easier to time 37%:

21~Fan Lift, jk~Air Fan, 4~Fan, 4~Cutter

Off of a 21 hit confirm, you should really be using the :en Fan because you can cancel out of the second Fan and continue to combo on the ground for over 50%. I've gotten to 58% now with one meter ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.