What's new

General/Other - Kano Kano General Discussion Thread

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Okay, the patch and hotfixes have fully landed now and I just feel utter disappointment.

1. Whiff issues were not (fully at least) fixed. Followups after f4 still whiff (which might be intended iono) like crazy. S2, 11, raw choke, CT/Comm knives whiff on Scorpion (and probably more). Command grabs still whiff.

2. Up laser buff is meh at best. Converting midscreen is hard and hardly worth the bar. B1 is more consistent. The hitbox is still terrible. The start up is good now but 7% of an anti air when I can get a full combo into ball knockdown? IT MIGHT be good for anti crossup, gonna fiddle more with it in a bit.

3. 32 pop up string is....................... Decent. Ok punisher, you cross the 30% for a bar (which, sadly, is amazing lol). The range is still shit but you can hit confirm and it has some uses.

4. CT was made top 10 for.......... a few hours. Now it's probably about the same or slightly worse than before. He's a punish monster, that's for sure, so he might have to be played like that instead of rushdown. Not sure, haven't delved into it yet.

But all in all I feel meh. Like why buff him at all if you're not gonna do anything significant. Yes he was solid before BUT HIS ISSUES ARE THE SAME. This is all just smoke and mirrors. Give us meaningless buffs to shut us up and move on.

I feel much like Hercules.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Yea I'm disappointed they made the exbuff take life now and changed the damage scaling its definitely more risk/reward now which isn't a bad thing.

Do you end in kano ball and pressure but loose life or turn off the buff to save life and loose pressure. In the corner it's not as bad since even if you turn buff off your still right on top of them and could go into safe string exbuff to put them back in same situation but obviously loose more life

It just sucks we had more damage before with no life being taken away but now since we could do what others do for one bar pressure wise

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
It is hype tho to pull out a clutch comeback win while your life is draining and you win right before you die I pulled it off earlier it was tense lol

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Yea I'm disappointed they made the exbuff take life now and changed the damage scaling its definitely more risk/reward now which isn't a bad thing.

Do you end in kano ball and pressure but loose life or turn off the buff to save life and loose pressure. In the corner it's not as bad since even if you turn buff off your still right on top of them and could go into safe string exbuff to put them back in same situation but obviously loose more life

It just sucks we had more damage before with no life being taken away but now since we could do what others do for one bar pressure wise

Also I played a bit last night and I think the normals changes DID change some follow ups. I can usually land a follow up C.grab after I F4 somebody right as they come out of hitstun if I decide not to go for F4xxChoke, but I missed it every time last night. They either changed the pushback on F4 or something... I will try again tonight but it was just something I noticed.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Also I played a bit last night and I think the normals changes DID change some follow ups. I can usually land a follow up C.grab after I F4 somebody right as they come out of hitstun if I decide not to go for F4xxChoke, but I missed it every time last night. They either changed the pushback on F4 or something... I will try again tonight but it was just something I noticed.
I'm pretty sure hitstun after b13 is changed as well. I used it as stagger for command grab but it's weird now.

EDIT meant b31. Always get those mixed up

FlappyDaniel

if I lose those follow ups and it's not just a matter of adjusting my timing then there is literally no reason for me to play the character any more. They were one of my main sources of damage.

I had the exact same experience last night as well: not being able to cmd grab after f4 hitstun. B13 still works, but B31 might not either. To me, this is a HUGE loss in terms of mixups.

FlappyDaniel

I had the exact same experience last night as well: not being able to cmd grab after f4 hitstun. B13 still works, but B31 might not either. To me, this is a HUGE loss in terms of mixups.
Fuuuuuuck that does not bode well; and honestly if the F4 interaction got changed it's probable that F4xxChoke just has more whiff issues then it did before.

So did they just massively increase the hitsun of F4 and B31 then? They are +22 and +29 on hit right now, but I don't recall what they were before.

Rant ahead. Please forgive me in advance, but I need to vent.

These past two days since the patch dropped has soured my opinion on MKX, but I've decided 'fuck it'. I played a really fun set with @MsMiharo on Tuesday, last night I helped a mate unlock HotShot Johnny, and in return he helped me unlock it too, so I killed the time by showing him Kano's brutalities. Last week I had a great time playing in my clan's league (this week too) as Commando and Cyber. In short, what I'm trying to say is that Kano, despite all the bullshit, is still a really fun, rewarding character to play.

The whiff problems are annoying, Cutthroat's 'with one hand he giveth, with another he taketh away' buff/nerf ordeal is tiresome, but with that comes the knowledge that when you did well, it was because you did well, not because your character did all the heavy lifting (cough-Quan-cough).

At the end of the day, nobody is shackling us to a chair to play Kano, or this damn game either for that matter (At least I hope not. If they are, what are doing on TYM? Call the police!). If it's not fun for you, quit. There's no shame in it. I'm pretty sure there's enough stress in your life already, don't add to it by playing a game or character you don't like.

Kano isn't great. He's not top tier. His tool kit is lacking compared to other characters. That said, his brutalities are great, he looks cool as fuck in pretty much any skin, he has a small set of strings so you can learn the basics pretty quickly and get on with playing others. He calls people 'Wanker' mid match, which always brings a smile to my face. What Kano lacks in dirt, he makes up for in fun.

At the end of this rant, I don't really know what I want to achieve by it. I think I just don't like seeing people upset, and have noticed a kind if residual stress carrying over from the boards into my actual adult life. I spend a lot of time reading posts on here for fun, but seeing people who's opinion I respect feeling bitter about a character we all feel fond of isn't enjoyable. Maybe I want the boards to go back to what they were intended to be; somewhere to get advice and share strategies. I'm not an idiot, I know this is TYM, and that's not how things work around here, but still...

Ultimately, the patch was shit for us, but there's no point crying over spilled milk. If you've got money on the line, switch to a top tier character and increase your chances. If losing upsets you too much, do the same. If you like Kano and can overlook his problems, stick around and share your findings. @MsMiharo, @FlappyDaniel, @Derptile and @DougDFC have been really cool to me and I want others to feel the way I do when they help me out.

I'm gonna stop bitching about Kano from this point forward and just try to make the best out of a bad situation. If in future I seem unreasonably positive about his prospects, this post is why. I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.

I'm pretty certain that F4 was about +9, as I recall F4-Power Slam being a frame trap with a 1 frame gap.
That's what I thought. So the question is: Is this better for commando? It certainly is for cutthroat, since F4 is now a safe mid hitting 10 frame poke that travels jump distance and sets him up for a guaranteed 50/50 attempt on hit. In commando, we can still hit a command grab but we have to delay it by a lot and know the timing. However, we now get whatever guaranteed followup we can think of after F4 on hit.

That's what I thought. So the question is: Is this better for commando? It certainly is for cutthroat, since F4 is now a safe mid hitting 10 frame poke that travels jump distance and sets him up for a guaranteed 50/50 attempt on hit. In commando, we can still hit a command grab but we have to delay it by a lot and know the timing. However, we now get whatever guaranteed followup we can think of after F4 on hit.
It's different, and I'd argue it's worse for Commando but better for Cutthroat as you have a few extra frames to close the gap and go for a 50/50. B13 is about +10 on hit, so if you like the F4-Command Grab frame trap from before, you can do it with B13.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
So did they just massively increase the hitsun of F4 and B31 then? They are +22 and +29 on hit right now, but I don't recall what they were before.
13 and like 15 respectively.
Edit: 9 and 16 says the mkx frame data app that hasnt been updated.

Last edited:

KitanawantstheD

CERTIFIED WANKER
I honestly don't see what the gripe is about cutthroat. After a while I've become more consistent with him and have been winning matches. Only complaint about him that I have is that he seems meter starved half of the time and I can't really get my beefy 50/50s