What's new

Kabal Questions and strategies

circle masher

NRS PLLLLS MORE BUFF AN NERFPS GAME IS UBNALENCERD
Another way to look at things: when you rip NDCs all over the shop with an endless barrage of pressure that keeps you a step ahead of what your opponent is anticipating, everybody watching that fight is literally cumming in their pants.

So a useful question is: do you want people to cum in their pants if/when they watch you play?

If yes, learn NDCs.

If no, learn another character.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Another way to look at things: when you rip NDCs all over the shop with an endless barrage of pressure that keeps you a step ahead of what your opponent is anticipating, everybody watching that fight is literally cumming in their pants.

So a useful question is: do you want people to cum in their pants if/when they watch you play?

If yes, learn NDCs.

If no, learn another character.
WTF is wrong with you? Is there something subliminal I'm missing here? Fun cum...lol

To OP: Yes it's a must and it's why not a lot of people can use Kabal because it requires a lot of practice to get his execution down.But when mastered you basically have control of the best character in the game.

Yes , I said it.What you gon' do?

mk_pros

Banned
dash cancel is not a must but its a good trick to abuse. i mean you dont have to do it or anything, im certain its possible to win without it, but youre much stronger with it than without it
thank you for reply.

all i want to know is if i can win with no dash cancels used.

i use bbfk and dbbp for mix ups i think this is enough as in works

cheers

REO

Undead
Playing Kabal with no dash cancels is like playing Mileena with no d+4 or Jade with no glow. Really, there's NO reason not to use dash cancels unless you can't do them. In that case, then go ahead and practice if you plan on winning anything with Kabal.

Also I see some players still seem to follow the misconception that dash cancels are only associated with up close pressure. This is not true, they're WAY more versatile than that. The depth attached to dash cancels is unreal.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
So watching the Rev X stream with REO's new meter building tech in place made be pose this question. First let me say I have the highest respect for REO's Kabal and it is without a doubt the best on the scene. NOW during this tourney there were several points in rounds where going for the uber hard stuff ended up costing REO the reset - namely dropping the 2ndc into f4 stuff.

My question is if he were to have kept it more simple with say the old 111 f4ndc reset would those matches have turned out differently. Especially since the more advanced stuff usually only grants like 2 percent more damage? Now I'm sure by Evo he'll have all this shit down 100 percent so it won't be a question - but in a tourney setting where nerves are running is it better to go for the simpler bnb's with Kabal?

/discuss.

mekane

Noob
that stuff is so hard to pull off that even with tons of practice I think it could be a mistake. I think the Ex NDC cancel on wakeup is pretty sweet though, that is something that wasn't always working for him but if he can perfect that, the reward is well worth it - Not only do you not get punished if they end up blocking your wakeup - but you can also go into much more damaging combos midscreen with the b1 2 1 starter.

circle masher

NRS PLLLLS MORE BUFF AN NERFPS GAME IS UBNALENCERD
Classic question. Basics are safe and known, and Kabal's truly advanced stuff takes *real* work. People should learn and try to master the basics of course, but if they never pushed themselves to go for the advanced stuff then there would be no long-term character development or raising of the general bar. People have to keep setting new benchmarks for their character to inspire other players to improve in tandem too. Kabal's got so much muscle under the hood, but it's being tapped in to slower than if more people took risks and pushed him harder.

I disagree with the 'if you can't do it in a tourney' argument. I see the merits of it of course, but from my point of view tourneys are there to test this stuff just as much as practice mode. Even though styles and strategies become commonplace for a good reason, it's also kind of paradoxical at this point in the lifespan of a character like Kabal. He's a young character.

None of this is a criticism of 'traditional' Kabal play by the way, I'm just making the case for people to work harder with a ridiculous character like Kabal. He has a powerful answer for everything, but it's up to the community to make those answers as consistent and damaging as possible.

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
if he would have kept it simple those matches could have easily had different results, but taking chances and pushing the envelope is probably what makes REO, REO lol. just my opinion, i could be wrong

mekane

Noob
I think the Ex NDC cancel on wakeup is pretty sweet though, that is something that wasn't always working for him but if he can perfect that, the reward is well worth it - Not only do you not get punished if they end up blocking your wakeup - but you can also go into much more damaging combos midscreen with the b1 2 1 starter.
I was actually thinking on this one - if you do an EX NDC, I assume it is like Rain's EX roundhouse kick, you get the armor even after you cancel the move? If it does work like this, if you immediately cancel the EX NDC into b1-2-1, there should only be about 1 or 2 frames where you can be knocked out of the b1-2-1 starter. I'm suprised nobody else has mentioned this, I don't see this used much on wakeup against pressure, but it seems like very good tech since you get more damage and more importantly u don't risk that they block the Ex ND for a full combo.

mekane

Noob
"you get the armor even after you cancel the move?"

No!
So is there no point of doing an Ex NDC on wakeup like REO seems to use lately? Wouldn't a regular NDC wakeup give you the same invincibility frames if you are looking to eat an attack as you are waking up?

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
The regular won't necessarily give you the invincibility frames, so EX ndc is what you want to use, and yes, you can cancel and absorb one hit. The reason is, EX has invincibility for 11 frames, and you can't cancel EX until frame 12, so you keep all invincibility.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Basics > Advanced in tournament play.
I have advanced down, CD Jr. has basics down.

Who wins more?
Well, it's not to say that you can't do well with advanced techniques, Slips pulls those d1~spears off like nothing and still places very well; but for the majority of us? It's a big risk.

I've gotten F43~spear to be pretty consistent, but that's a big risk; however it's a risk I'm generally willing to take because that alone can win me the match. I think it's just important to incorporate a game changing advanced technique such as that, while using your basics as your foundation.

Crathen

Death is my business
The purpose of Ex ND on Wakeup is that it can be cancelled after the 12 frame when the regular ND can be cancelled after 17 frames ( so from a EX ND into a b121 will hit on frame 25 instead of frame 30 ) , although this may seem not that big of a deal it can reverse the pressure without being hit by meaties.
The main issue about ND into b121 is that it still loses to quick strings or normals linked to fast special ( like Sektors 12b1 , KL 112 , Smokes d1xxsmokebomb and so on ) so you have to make a good read on what the opponent is gonna do , personally i like to use it when i am sure the opponent is going to do a poke after a string but there are many situation when you can use this.
Naked EX ND is still good because it hits on frame 13 instead of 25.

On Topic: Basics are good but if you want to push the characters tools to his maximum you have to get the mindset that nothing is impossible or unreliable and practice it hard until you're comfortable with.
If you will win the round with a basic combo then by all means do it but don't say "oh well i can't do that and i could fuck it up so i'll go with the easy stuff" , challenge yourself and raise the bar , this will make of you a better player overall.

mekane

Noob
The regular won't necessarily give you the invincibility frames, so EX ndc is what you want to use, and yes, you can cancel and absorb one hit. The reason is, EX has invincibility for 11 frames, and you can't cancel EX until frame 12, so you keep all invincibility.
so it isn't an invincible wake up attack like you said on the other thread - that would make sense then.

and i didn't realize you can't cancel the dash until frame 12, but after reading that it makes sense based on what the animation looks like.

so its a pretty sweet move but i guess still risky because if they are doing a combo or delayed attack you can still easily get hit out of the b1-2-1 after an EX NDC on wakeup in the first 12 frames of the b1.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Most opponents should block if they see you turn purple on wakeup. And no, I don't think regular Nomad Dash qualifies for the invincible frames. I know saw does, not sure what else.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I agree with this. REO is REO though, he's a fucking god in the MK community lol. I'd say he needs to work on it a lil bit and then go for it. I stick with the "basics".
REO isn't a god. He plays the same characters as all of us. If he cant execute something as well as the rest as all of us, he's gonna get beat exactly the same way as all of us.

In answer to the thread question, I'd say its a mixture of both, cant rely on all advance or all basic strategies.

REO isn't a god. He plays the same characters as all of us. If he cant execute something as well as the rest as all of us, he's gonna get beat exactly the same way as all of us.

In answer to the thread question, I'd say its a mixture of both, cant rely on all advance or all basic strategies.
I'm saying, people "Treat" him like a God, like not necessarily treat him, but he's very well known and that he's kind of an icon in the tournament scene. I think you misunderstood me. And what you said was true, very true.

rafaw

#YouSuck
Imo u have to get the basics down... but there is a point of competitive where you need to try new things otherwise you will stuck with just a few tools to overcome your oponent!

Ive had major trouble gettin the NDC down with kabal. I play with a Ps2 controller or a 360 controller. IDK what i do wrong but either it comes out enhanced or doesnt come out at all. the only string i can even use with it is >3,2. Does anyone know anything that a person commonly does to screw up the ndc on a controller. Ive heard time and time again buy a fightpad