What's new

General/Other - Jax Jax General Discussion

Bolton

Noob
Sorry if this has been discussed before. But I'm trying to use 12b4 to set up an immediate Far Ground Pound. I notice that it will never hit if the opponent gets up normally or does a short delay getup. It hits if the opponent walks forward as soon as he can, or if he does a wake up move though. Why is this?

Edit: Apparently, this isn't the case with Pumped Up's Ground Quake. Tremor still doesn't work for some reason though.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been discussed before. But I'm trying to use 12b4 to set up an immediate Far Ground Pound. I notice that it will never hit if the opponent gets up normally or does a short delay getup. It hits if the opponent walks forward as soon as he can, or if he does a wake up move though. Why is this?

Edit: Apparently, this isn't the case with Pumped Up's Ground Quake. Tremor still doesn't work for some reason though.
unblockables wont hit if theyr getting up or if they lay down. MB Unblockables tough will catch them on a knockdown. BUT you can do a delayed ground pound after kockdown, since nobody will wakeup from fullscreen and will just stand up it will work if timed right : you start the ground pound as soon as theyr getting up BUT u should go to practice mode to get the tmining otherwise it wont hit them. i do this alot online forcing the opponent to do a delayed wakeup or jump when they doing delayed wakeup I will do MB ground pound.

Was f21 always +1 on block, or did Jax get a stealth buff? I thought it was neutral. It also looks to be hitting crouching characters more consistently.

Also, b3d2 still has a cancel advantage listed, but I can't seem to cancel into anything. Is that just incorrect info?
It has been neutral since day one but Neutrals were already +1 since the opponent need 1 frame to release block and but they said the patch updated the framedata too be more accurate so i guess you check if other neutrals have also been changed to +1.

B3d2 should have 0 cancel advantage since the last hit is a hard knockdown.

hey guys
what is jax best variation ? i can't decide which one i should use.. all 3 are great.
I guess that heavy weapons is the most competitive because of his law cancels (and i can do them whenever i want so no execution barrier) but he loses his energy wave (but since you can duck it in a blocked string...) and wrestler seems to be the most balanced since he has his energy wave and a controllable ground pound and of course his safe gotcha grab which he loses in pumped up.. so .. what do you think ? i guess pumped up is good against characters like quan cheese because of the air ground pound to counter their projectiles ?

hey guys
what is jax best variation ? i can't decide which one i should use.. all 3 are great.
I guess that heavy weapons is the most competitive because of his law cancels (and i can do them whenever i want so no execution barrier) but he loses his energy wave (but since you can duck it in a blocked string...) and wrestler seems to be the most balanced since he has his energy wave and a controllable ground pound and of course his safe gotcha grab which he loses in pumped up.. so .. what do you think ? i guess pumped up is good against characters like quan cheese because of the air ground pound to counter their projectiles ?
You forgot he has a AIR throw to get some nice extra damage when u land a jumping kick (18% I think) and will make clear that u also dominate the air.
AND the fucking command throw, f3 into Command Throw Has insane range is his How i start many matches although if the opponent didn't blocked the the f3 the Command Throw will whiff and it can be armored through. I like to do : Energy wave from fullscreen if blocked quicky run up F3 command grab the +7 energy wave is a nice way to get in from fullscreen.

BUT 12D3 ~ Command throw is by far one of the deadliest mindgames in the game : 123(low) into OH smash or 12 into OH smash or 12D3 into command grab OR 12d3 and then MB OH Smash which will catch them if they thaught ur going for the command throw and will eat THEIR armor :joker: cuz the low feint recovers very quick, 12D3 ONLY buffers into the command throw the string was built for wrestler.

I only use Pumped up if im going against some1 like kung jin who's wakeups leads to 40% cuz the gotcha grab leavs them standing and leavs u + or to abuse the Air ground pound.
Heavy Weapons is kinda lackluster in my eyes u can only do 1 Rocket cancel while others like Scorpion can do 3 fireball cancels and get some nice chip damage of it... But if ur playing against some1 whos ducking the energy wave and has good zonning the machine gun and rocket launcher helps.

Jyakotu

The traitor to Edenia and to all the realms!
Hey all, new player in MKX, but not new to the franchise. I use both Briggs' in this game and the variation I use for Jax is Heavy Weapons. It's my favorite one for whatever reason. I think it's a fairly balanced variation and I like the fact that he has a projectile. That way, I can get in or zone when need be.

Death

Noob
Alright so ive been messing around lately with Jax HP var, just mainly pushing buttons with him. But what strings is he adv off rocket cancel or if he is at all? 11?

So how good is the gun cancelling in HW variation for him? Does it leave him plus enough to jail opponents for another string?

I play A List Johnny and Heavy Weapons seemed like a good fit do to the cancelsbut if they don't do too much too much for him then I'll just stick with PumpedUp.

By gun cancelling I mean calling off his rocket.

So how good is the gun cancelling in HW variation for him? Does it leave him plus enough to jail opponents for another string?

I play A List Johnny and Heavy Weapons seemed like a good fit do to the cancelsbut if they don't do too much too much for him then I'll just stick with PumpedUp.

By gun cancelling I mean calling off his rocket.
I don't think its very helpful. Pumped up can do 30% ground quakes from very simple strings and his BNB does 41% midscreen with 1 bar. He does 43% in the corner with no bar.... I just don't see how any variation can compete with that. That being said... wrestler is my favorite to play.

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
Although this may be obvious for some of you and been said here before but (I never thought to check this out until @PND i2 Gaug3 mentioned a certain string was easier to land Jax's midscreen) the strings/normals that push back the opponent will give you an idea of how difficult landing the run F21 will be.

For example 23 OvDash into the fullscreen is miles easier due to the positioning it leaves the opponent before the OvDash comes out. You can see this really easy with the difference between 11 and 12. 11 on hit staggers the opponent backwards whilst 12 leaves them staggered right next to Jax.

The strings are easier than the normals.

Easiest Strings: 23,12,b12

Easiest Normals: F3,4

Last edited:

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
This next post will be reserved for characters where our Overhead level 3 (14%) will benefit as a meaty when trading with armored wake ups.

Cassie Cage:
D'vorah:
Ermac:
Erron Black:
Ferra/Torr:
Goro:
Jacqui:
Jason:
Jax:
Johnny Cage:
Kano:
Kenshi:
Kitana:
Kotal Kahn:
Kung Jin:
Kung Lao:
Liu Kang:
Mileena:
Quan Chi:
Raiden:
Reptile:
Scorpion:
Shinnok:
Sonya:
Sub-Zero:
Takeda:
Tanya:

Last edited:

Jyakotu

I'm seeing that Pumped Up is considered Jax's best variation. How do Wrestler and Heavy Weapons fare in most match ups?

I'm seeing that Pumped Up is considered Jax's best variation. How do Wrestler and Heavy Weapons fare in most match ups?
Pick the variation depending on who you're fighting. If they have a very good wakeup (scorpion/kungjinn) go pumped up because of his restand. If you're fighting someone who doesn't have a solid wakeup go with wrestler for the position swap options in the corner or even heavy weapons for rocket cancel pressure.

Last edited:

Bender

Product Manager. xBone tag: I3end3r.
Personally, I think Heavy Weapons is the strongest variation and pumped up is the worst. They're all pretty damn good, just go with the one you like best. (If you're struggling with zoners, pumped up seems to have the best options for counterzoning and Billy Young has a great point about the standing rest for characters with annoying wakeups.)

Really cool that he has three strong variations in a game where most characters only have one.

Jyakotu

Personally, I think Heavy Weapons is the strongest variation and pumped up is the worst. They're all pretty damn good, just go with the one you like best. (If you're struggling with zoners, pumped up seems to have the best options for counterzoning and Billy Young has a great point about the standing rest for characters with annoying wakeups.)

Really cool that he has three strong variations in a game where most characters only have one.
Heavy Weapons is the variation that I like the most with Jax. Glad to know that all his variations are strong, so you can't go wrong with either one. I know I'm probably approaching the game and the variation system wrong, but when I decided to pick up the game, I knew from the jump that I wanted to focus on one variation for each character I play. Having said that, I think I will stick to Heavy Weapons for Jax, because I feel it is his best one as well.

Although this may be obvious for some of you and been said here before but (I never thought to check this out until @PND i2 Gaug3 mentioned a certain string was easier to land Jax's midscreen) the strings/normals that push back the opponent will give you an idea of how difficult landing the run F21 will be.

For example 23 OvDash into the fullscreen is miles easier due to the positioning it leaves the opponent before the OvDash comes out. You can see this really easy with the difference between 11 and 12. 11 on hit staggers the opponent backwards whilst 12 leaves them staggered right next to Jax.

The strings are easier than the normals.

Easiest Strings: 23,12,b12

Easiest Normals: F3,4
The thing i noticed with the run cancel combos and ive seen nobody mention is that if u instantly cancel the run into f2 it will whiff, you HAVE to do a slight run in other to catch. Especialy with the f21 OH dashpunch there u have to run a little bit further.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Loving Jax so far but those run combos are a killer online. I can land them 90% offline but online is hell so I've just been sticking to a 29% mid screen carry combo until I get them in the corner and dish out most of my damage there.

Playing wrestler btw.

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
The thing i noticed with the run cancel combos and ive seen nobody mention is that if u instantly cancel the run into f2 it will whiff, you HAVE to do a slight run in other to catch. Especialy with the f21 OH dashpunch there u have to run a little bit further.
Yeah there the more tougher to hit ones for that reason, why I was so happy finding 23 for a 9 frame punish you pretty much run and go straight into the F21.

How to counter venemous dvorah that bug is killing me ? So much fmg on block
shes a tough one but : she can't link anything into her Swarp, As soon as u hear that "ETUULEE", Armor through with OH Dashpunch and combo punish. Also the bug spray is annoying but is punishable. U should always go for a MB ground pound when u knock her down cuz of her Damage over time, that way u have ur own unblockable damage.

BTW don't Jump at her cuz she can restand u with that bug spray

shes a tough one but : she can't link anything into her Swarp, As soon as u hear that "ETUULEE", Armor through with OH Dashpunch and combo punish. Also the bug spray is annoying but is punishable. U should always go for a MB ground pound when u knock her down cuz of her Damage over time, that way u have ur own unblockable damage.

BTW don't Jump at her cuz she can restand u with that bug spray
So bug spray on block is punishable or no?

So bug spray on block is punishable or no?
punishable but u have to let her spray it all out before releasing block ,otheriwse u get hit by the last drop and get combo'd. go to training mode and let the ai reversal bug spray while they always block, to get the timing down.