What's new

General/Other - Jax Jax General Discussion

Sugami

Noob
I'm having a weird problem with his Gotcha Brutality, I have no issue cancelling into Gotcha normally but if it ends the match the gotcha never comes out.

Edit: Nevermind me, looks like my eagerness to hit forward as soon as I do the Gotcha input screws it up :p

Last edited:

SixShooter

Is my favourite a Kameo?
Jax's standing 1 is 6 frames, which beats out Lao's fastest option by 5 frames. So every time Lao teleports, just do 1-f21~db1 for a 23% meterless punish (in Pumped Up).
This pretty much. I usually do 1-rc-11-rc-11 f21 into whatever to squeeze a bit more damage and wall carry. If you hit him high enough you can also do 1-f21-11-f21 xx anything.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
As most of you know, there is currently an issue with the game where a character's idle animation can result in unintended effects, such as moves whiffing that would normally automatically link. This issue has hurt Jacqui very badly, and I'm wondering if it's affecting Jax as well.

The issue in question is with his f21-MB.bf2d-RC-f21-11-f21~db1 combo. I've been doing this combo for hours against Mileena, and have realized that I can tell as soon as she launches whether or not my RC-f21 will connect or whiff. This indicates that there is a slight discrepancy between different instances of her post MB.bf2d launch, which would be totally out of the player's control.

See for yourself. If you hit her with f21~MB.bf2d enough times, you'll notice that it launches her further or closer away, seemingly at random.

As most of you know, there is currently an issue with the game where a character's idle animation can result in unintended effects, such as moves whiffing that would normally automatically link. This issue has hurt Jacqui very badly, and I'm wondering if it's affecting Jax as well.

The issue in question is with his f21-MB.bf2d-RC-f21-11-f21~db1 combo. I've been doing this combo for hours against Mileena, and have realized that I can tell as soon as she launches whether or not my RC-f21 will connect or whiff. This indicates that there is a slight discrepancy between different instances of her post MB.bf2d launch, which would be totally out of the player's control.

See for yourself. If you hit her with f21~MB.bf2d enough times, you'll notice that it launches her further or closer away, seemingly at random.
Its the same on cassie, i think its a female hitbox issue

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Its the same on cassie, i think its a female hitbox issue
Right, but the issue is that the launch distance is inconsistent, which indicates it's most likely an issue with idle animations, and it's just more severe on female characters due to their smaller hitboxes.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele

Its not just Mileena, its every female in the cast that has this issue. B34/DDP whiffs on Goro as well.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Its not just Mileena, its every female in the cast that has this issue. B34/DDP whiffs on Goro as well.
Right, but that's not what I'm saying. This applies to male characters as well, it's just not as severe since they're easier to hit. I'm saying that the actual distance the opponent gets launched is inconsistent, regardless of gender. It's just that if you get the "long" launch on a male character, you can still get the combo, but on female characters you just have to hope the game decides to give you a "short" launch or you'll drop the combo regardless of how good your execution is.

If you take Full Auto Jacqui into practice against Mileena and set Mileena to crouch block, you'll see her hitbox bob up and down. If you hit her at the "up bob" with b2~MB.db2, the missiles will connect for a combo, but if you try the same thing on the "down bob", the missiles will whiff. I think that same thing is making Jax's combo whiff on characters with certain hitboxes.

Last edited:

TDD

Noob
Is it just me or does his ground pound not work after you do it quickly after some combo that knocks down opponent (like F212) even tho opponent should've been hit by it? EX version of it works tho for some reason.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Is it just me or does his ground pound not work after you do it quickly after some combo that knocks down opponent (like F212) even tho opponent should've been hit by it? EX version of it works tho for some reason.
Yeah, that's one of the properties of his EX ground pound. It's known as an OTG (off the ground). The regular ground pound will always whiff if your opponent isn't in a neutral state, but the EX ground pound is free damage after f212, anti-air Energy Wave, anti-air Upper Cut, Downward Dash Punch, etc.

SixShooter

Is my favourite a Kameo?
Yeah, that's one of the properties of his EX ground pound. It's known as an OTG (off the ground). The regular ground pound will always whiff if your opponent isn't in a neutral state, but the EX ground pound is free damage after f212, anti-air Energy Wave, anti-air Upper Cut, Downward Dash Punch, etc.
Even in Wrestler/Heavy weapons? I know this works in pumped up because the EX Gp is really fast but in the other two variations it is reaaaally slow. Haven't tried it tbh.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Even in Wrestler/Heavy weapons? I know this works in pumped up because the EX Gp is really fast but in the other two variations it is reaaaally slow. Haven't tried it tbh.
I know it can otg, but I don't know what setups still work in those variations. In those variations I think his meter is better spent elsewhere, anyway.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Has anyone figured out a way to maximize damage with Pumped Up's gotcha?

Are there any timing tricks or anything because I swear i've seen people get some extra hits in there(obviously not counting EX) and I feel like I almost always get the same amount.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Has anyone figured out a way to maximize damage with Pumped Up's gotcha?

Are there any timing tricks or anything because I swear i've seen people get some extra hits in there(obviously not counting EX) and I feel like I almost always get the same amount.
I just mash on the 1, 2, and 3 buttons, which is easy on stick. On pad, I just mash the 1 and 2 buttons. I believe the max number of hits is 5.

I'm saying that the actual distance the opponent gets launched is inconsistent, regardless of gender. It's just that if you get the "long" launch on a male character, you can still get the combo, but on female characters you just have to hope the game decides to give you a "short" launch or you'll drop the combo regardless of how good your execution is.
I tested this in the lab for about half an hour and realized sometimes from the OH dash punch i could instantly cancel the run in f21 and it will hit but most of the time it will whiff and i was forced to do a short run if i start with f21 or 11 in order to catch them. This is also with 11, 12, 23, b12 but the chance of getting the short launch is much higher with 12, 23, b12. Is there a Way to tell NRS about this? Cuz this, the whiffing of his f2 on crouching opponents and specials not coming out on a blocked b2 are showing similarities with Jacqui briggs issues.

Bender

Product Manager. xBone tag: I3end3r.

I've noticed this as well. I think you can still finish the combo if you delay the F21 after the launcher by a frame or two. Not sure though. Any chance it's related to stance?

Tenryuga

Ball Buster
Hi; Is there a description of each of the Jax variations around? I'm starting to take an interest in him. If not maybe you guys can suggest one based on my playstyle. I like to pressure my opponent and have good options in the neutral game for footsies or controlling space. I don't care much for mixup capability but I do like my characters to have ways to open someone up via frame traps or intentional gaps created in pressure etc.

Bender

Hi; Is there a description of each of the Jax variations around? I'm starting to take an interest in him. If not maybe you guys can suggest one based on my playstyle. I like to pressure my opponent and have good options in the neutral game for footsies or controlling space. I don't care much for mixup capability but I do like my characters to have ways to open someone up via frame traps or intentional gaps created in pressure etc.
No problem my man. I play Heavy Weapons and think it is the most fun to play as well as one of the best variations. The main advantage is his bazooka cancel. You can hit confirm combos into bazooka cancel, making all his options safe. If the combo hits and you're quick enough, you can continue the combo after the bazooka cancel. If you don't think you can do this, I would not recommend this variation. Additionally his bazooka is a pretty good zoning tool, as he can point it up and hold it/ cancel. He also gets a pretty useless machine gun, but it pays dividends in the sub zero matchup, since it shoots multiple bullets, which go through ice clone. Here is a video of some of my matches. Go to minute 18:54 to see a good example of the bazooka cancel :)

Wrestler gets a few new strings and an air grab that is pretty nice. His main advantage is the unblock able dbf 1 that grabs opponents after a block ed d1,3,4.

Pumped up gets an unblock able OTG if meter burnt on wakeup, which is nice. He can also do an air ground pound, making his zoning the strongest of the 3 variations. Additionally, his gotcha grab leaves enemies standing.

Instead of the bazooka, Wrestler and Pumped up get a high projectile that is +8 on block. it's pretty damn good, but I prefer the cancleables for mind games and safe strings/ more pressure. Once opponents figure out they can uppercut the projectile, it's pretty useless up close.

I think Heavy Weapons or Wrestler are the stronger variations. A lot of people say Pumped Up is the best, so I don't really know. All three seem to be viable.

Cheers,
Bender

Last edited:

Tenryuga

Ball Buster
No problem my man. I play Heavy Weapons and think it is the most fun to play as well as one of the best variations. The main advantage is his bazooka cancel. You can hit confirm combos into bazooka cancel, making all his options safe. If the combo hits and you're quick enough, you can continue the combo after the bazooka cancel. If you don't think you can do this, I would not recommend this variation. Additionally his bazooka is a pretty good zoning tool, as he can point it up and hold it/ cancel. He also gets a pretty useless machine gun, but it pays dividends in the sub zero matchup, since it shoots multiple bullets, which go through ice clone. Here is a video of some of my matches. Go to minute 18:54 to see a good example of the bazooka cancel :)

Wrestler gets a few new strings and an air grab that is pretty nice. His main advantage is the unblock able dbf 1 that grabs opponents after a block ed d1,3,4.

Pumped up gets an unblock able OTG if meter burnt on wakeup, which is nice. He can also do an air ground pound, making his zoning the strongest of the 3 variations. Additionally, his gotcha grab leaves enemies standing.

Instead of the bazooka, Wrestler and Pumped up get a high projectile that is +8 on block. it's pretty damn good, but I prefer the cancleables for mind games and safe strings/ more pressure. Once opponents figure out they can uppercut the projectile, it's pretty useless up close.

I think Heavy Weapons or Wrestler are the stronger variations. A lot of people say Pumped Up is the best, so I don't really know. All three seem to be viable.

Cheers,
Bender
Thanks alot for the breakdown. And yeah I mostly see pumped up Jax so I'm gonna check out your matches to see some heavy weapons action; It sounds interesting.

Bender

Thanks alot for the breakdown. And yeah I mostly see pumped up Jax so I'm gonna check out your matches to see some heavy weapons action; It sounds interesting.
No problem. I'll be curious to see what variation you end up picking - let me know how he works out for you.

Bender

I know it can otg, but I don't know what setups still work in those variations. In those variations I think his meter is better spent elsewhere, anyway.
Yeah I go for the normal ground pound for HW's. Generally, I find his meter is best spent in breaker, mid screen confirmed combos, after a safe but negative string, and corner carries (obviously). Also Wakeup MB gotcha grab is very strong in these variations.

I watched your tutorial on pumped up last night. Really good stuff - makes me want to try out that variation, but I just love the LAW cancels too much.