What's new

Is this game too easy from an execution standpoint?

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
Execution being easier still doesn't make up for the difference in skill level between players. That is what everyone is missing. Okay you can do 45% BNBs because it is easy, but if you are a bad/inexperienced player you still will not make the reads necessary to lead to those combos often. Execution being easier only helps the game in the long run. It attracts more players into competitive gaming which helps the games growth and longevity as a whole. More active players is a good thing...ALWAYS.

So while we are praising games for their difficulty and using them in comparison to injustice, lets remember how few people play those games. Tekken tag 2 is a pretty difficult game, and its community is pretty damn small now. No new players go to it. KOF? small community in the US.

You know why marvel attracts so many people? Because my imaginary armless little brother Geraldocan touch of death anyone off of a lucky hit in casual play. But there is still a HUGE difference between my imaginary handicapped brother Geraldo and Chris G/Yipes/FC champ. He would stand no chance

Is it annoying that any random player can land one hit that leads to a 40+% combo? yeah. But lets be real, it's annoying when ANYONE lands a combo on you. Bitching about stuff being easy to pull off is just as much of a cop out as antyhing else.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Tekken series has always been extremely easy w/combos but I still feel overall it's a high level execution game cause of the movement involved

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It is easy, and that's actually not a bad thing. While execution fiends are put off by this, unfortunately, many other players will appreciate that there isn't an insane level of execution required just to learn the fundamental aspects of the game. Keeps things simple, and allows you to focus on other parts of the game, like learning the stages or finding out strong pressure strings. And when a new, more improved combo arises, you aren't stuck practicing forever just to get it reasonably consistent.

Celerity

Lab Monster
Ever thought that SSF is too hard composited to everything else? Because it is
SF4 is one of the easiest fighting games ever, execution-wise. The only current games with easier execution are MK9 and Injustice.

Anyway, Injustice is the lightest execution game I've played, but I like the execution curve. In SF4 and Marvel, if you can't do some of the more difficult stuff, you are basically locked out of competing with certain characters. In Injustice, every character can do near-optimal stuff for little effort, but you can often squeeze out an extra 1-2% or a better setup if you practice the execution for it. That makes the game fair for everybody.

Besides, with netcode like this, anything more difficult would be unplayable online.

SF4 is one of the easiest fighting games ever, execution-wise. The only current games with easier execution are MK9 and Injustice.

Anyway, Injustice is the lightest execution game I've played, but I like the execution curve. In SF4 and Marvel, if you can't do some of the more difficult stuff, you are basically locked out of competing with certain characters. In Injustice, every character can do near-optimal stuff for little effort, but you can often squeeze out an extra 1-2% or a better setup if you practice the execution for it. That makes the game fair for everybody.

Besides, with netcode like this, anything more difficult would be unplayable online.
What about VF5 Tekken soul calibur fight night etc Iv got hundreds of examples guy

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?

Soul Calibur 5, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, UMvC3 all easier execution than SF4 IMO

THTB

SFIV isn't that easy lol. It's not GG/Melee hard, but there's certainly easier.

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
i still prefer quality matches.

More players in the community doesn't mean that none of them are good. Guess what, those same 5 good players you would like to make a room with? you could still do in a game with thousands of players. Except with support by the game company and with an actual presence in the competitive scene. There is absolutely no logical reason to not want an active community for a game that you play.

Celerity

Lab Monster
Soul Calibur 5, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, UMvC3 all easier execution than SF4 IMO
I don't play 3D fighters so I won't argue, but from everything I hear from people who do, VF and Tekken are incredibly execution heavy. Not really fair to compare that type of game anyway.

But yeah, I don't know where you would get the idea that SF4 execution is too difficult. Outside of a few FADCs and SJCs (which most characters don't even have), there is nothing remotely difficult about it. And unless you play Hulk/Haggar or something, there's no team in UMvC3 whose combos are more braindead than learning the timing of one or two 2F links.

More players in the community doesn't mean that none of them are good. Guess what, those same 5 good players you would like to make a room with? you could still do in a game with thousands of players. Except with support by the game company and with an actual presence in the competitive scene. There is absolutely no logical reason to not want an active community for a game that you play.
active community yes, in an good game :)

THTB

I don't play 3D fighters so I won't argue, but from everything I hear from people who do, VF and Tekken are incredibly execution heavy. Not really fair to compare that type of game anyway.

But yeah, I don't know where you would get the idea that SF4 execution is too difficult. Outside of a few FADCs and SJCs (which most characters don't even have), there is nothing remotely difficult about it. And unless you play Hulk/Haggar or something, there's no team in UMvC3 whose combos are more braindead than learning the timing of one or two 2F links.
Plinking to compensate for 1f/2f links does add to the execution barrier, and if you play a character with a mash special, there's learning to do that off of various normals and whatnot. Not to mention, safe jump timings and mixing those in with option selects. And tiger knee inputs for instant air QCB moves. Execution isn't just combos lol. It's everything you have to do to play the game.

Like I said, SFIV ain't super hard, but it's certainly not as easy as you make it out to be.

jrock920

Noob
this game has pretty easy execution with some characters others like black adam flash joker harley quinn cyborg are pretty tough

Celerity

Lab Monster
Plinking to compensate for 1f/2f links does add to the execution barrier, and if you play a character with a mash special, there's learning to do that off of various normals and whatnot. Not to mention, safe jump timings and mixing those in with option selects. And tiger knee inputs for instant air QCB moves. Execution isn't just combos lol. It's everything you have to do to play the game.

Like I said, SFIV ain't super hard, but it's certainly not as easy as you make it out to be.
I guess I tend to take some of that stuff for granted because it's second nature to me now, but I guess I can understand that perspective for someone just getting into the game.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?

Some of the links in SF4 are extremely hard and turn off a lot of people to the specific char. Maybe they are easy for you and I, but the average gamer has a hard time w/them. There are some I struggle w/as well. UMvC3, not so much and my city is primarily a 2D city so this is the opinion of many people. Tekken is movement heavy, THAT is hard, but execution on combos? Not so much

sf 4 is not in anyway hard execution wise at all, the emphasis is a bit like injustice more on mind games and fundamentals.
sf4 is a poking game based of very small combos, more focus is on spacing reactions and oki.
you may find it hard but quarter circle motion dont quantify for harder execution.
these are just inputs some people are used to and prefer, and is the capcom style of inputs.

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
sf 4 is not in anyway hard execution wise at all, the emphasis is a bit like injustice more on mind games and fundamentals.
sf4 is a poking game based of very small combos, more focus is on spacing reactions and oki.
you may find it hard but quarter circle motion dont quantify for harder execution.
these are just inputs some people are used to and prefer, and is the capcom style of inputs.

When people say SS4 is hard im 99% positive they are referring to links as opposed to mk dial inputs. While those of us who grew up on SF are used to them new players find it very difficult.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I really doubt he's talking about QCF motions. I think he means the same thing I do, the advanced links are not easy to do and are easy to mess up. So many other games you can mash out combos and are forgiving for inputs. SF4, not even close. If you are individually good and can hit all the links in the game, cool but a majority cannot. SF4 you can look at videos and combos and easily separate high level players

Celerity

Lab Monster
Some of the links in SF4 are extremely hard and turn off a lot of people to the specific char. Maybe they are easy for you and I, but the average gamer has a hard time w/them. There are some I struggle w/as well. UMvC3, not so much and my city is primarily a 2D city so this is the opinion of many people. Tekken is movement heavy, THAT is hard, but execution on combos? Not so much
Alright well this is getting a bit off-topic, but let me bring it back around to the fact that my original point wasn't to compare games and argue about which is harder. My point is that SF4's execution barrier is not too high, but it's arbitrarily high. There's no real reason not to have a small buffer window on links and make everybody's life easier without ruining the depth of the game.

On the other hand, there are other games where it makes more sense that the execution barrier would be higher by nature. Combo-heavy games like UMvC3 and BlazBlue, or games with complicated movement and inputs like Guilty Gear. Basically I don't think it's a bad thing for a fighting game to be difficult, I just think the difficulty should be applied the right way. I think Injustice succeeds in this regard where SF4 failed.

Ok, u clearly dont know what u are talking about.