What's new

Injustice Wakeup System Help

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
the wakeup system isn't fucked. It's more akin to street fighter.

If your move doesn't have "invincible" properties on wakeup, it will get stuffed by meaties.

It will take some time for MK players to learn this. Grundys armor dash startup is slow so it will get destroyed by properly timed meaties. Honestly sometimes the best solution is to just block.

Black adam can do db3 and it works well, but it's his one true wakeup. Everything else he can't do a thing with.

Green Lantern has shit wakeups as well.
Yeah but in Street Fighter there are are ton of good wakeups that will stop pressure. Shoryken, fei long fire kick, balrog headbutt, blanka ball, sagat uppercut, chun li EX spinning bird kick.

The list goes on, there are a TON of wakeup attacks in Street Fighter that stop jumpins and meaty normals. Only like 10% of the wakeups in Injustice stop jumpins and meaty normals. If that, it might be less than 10% lol

ForeverKing

Black Adam you want to be tech rolling and backdashing, you can see if they tried to input a string on your wakeup and punish with black magic or b2 while they attack the air.

Black magic is like 40% but you cant wake up with it, backdash or techrolling then backdashing creates the space you need.
Yeah but what if your in the corner? Everyone keeps talking this backdash nonsense, it's not gonna work when your stuck in the corner. Your opponent can constantly stuff your wakeups all day with meaty normals and jumpins until you block. The wake up system in this game is really making me have 2nd thoughts, it annoys me so much at times

ForeverKing

sometimes ravens singularity on wakeup gets beaten by a single hit and sometimes it doesnt. can anyone explain that?
I have noticed this too, it's annoying. It feels random. Sometimes it has invincibilty on wakeup, sometimes it gets beat out normal attacks

Mestizo3

Noob
I've noticed the same thing. There is no explaining it.
Actually I believe the explanation is that certain moves gain invincibility on wake up for their start up frames up to 1 frame before their active frame. So if her singularity move starts up in 10 frames (I don't know the real number, this is just an example), on wake up it would gain 8 frames of invincibility. So basically you need to a somewhat "late" meaty so that it hits on the 9th frame, not a perfect meaty that hits on frames 1-8.

This was explained on that injustice podcast linked on the front page, they tested it out.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
His lightning cage used as a wakeup attack actually does get beat by alot of meaty normals or jumpins
Maybe there is a window where he is vulnerable that I didn't catch. I'll have to look into it!

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Isn't black adams lighting cage like THE ONLY fully 100% invincible wakeup in IGAU?
News to me if it is, ive been hit out of it. Where did you hear that?

Yeah but what if your in the corner? Everyone keeps talking this backdash nonsense, it's not gonna work when your stuck in the corner. Your opponent can constantly stuff your wakeups all day with meaty normals and jumpins until you block. The wake up system in this game is really making me have 2nd thoughts, it annoys me so much at times
Backdashing is invincible but yeah meaty stuff will stuff you. Its basically gonna be like street fighter, unless you can get some kind of invincible reversal out you are just gonna have to block and read their Oki habits to survive.
I dont think alot of stuff is risky enough to just throw out at the moment, so people can get away with throwing stuff out over your wake up and theres no real drawback to it. Pushblocking is pretty nice and a decent use of meter to get people off you, and armoured moves are always good.

Defending against stuff is kind of a shit storm on wake up, but just remember that if you are vulnerable to wake up pressure, so are they. Get a knockdown and go HAM and you wont have to deal with their Oki.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
I use lightning hands most with black adam. Its somewhat reliable. In the corner lightning cage works really well for me. Thats about it. Other than that i block or backdash.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Not every move has wakeup invincibility. If you go into practice mode and set the ai to do a wakeup move, try to hit it out with an armored b3 or armored f3. If the move is truly invincible, the attacks will pass through each other.

For instance, Deathstroke can use any move on wakeup, but his only invincible option is Blade Spin. GL's is Lantern's Might.

The timing to get a move to actually count as a wakeup is incredibly inconsistent, however, especially online. I've just stopped trying because I get blown up to much trying to stop rushdown pressure with a wakeup Spin that either doesn't come out, or doesn't have wakeup properties.

Noob question. Do you input the command while you are laying on the ground? or while you are getting up from laying on the ground?

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Black Adams ex cage was really pissing me off. Like 2 out of 5 times its fully invincible and functions like a mk wakeup. The other times, ate full combo. Don't understand it.

ForeverKing

KF's slide is fully invincible, so thats one at least.
Yay, one wakeup attack in the game is an actual wakeup attack lol

The only character I can think of off the top of my head that looks like they have good wakeup attacks is Doomsday

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Yay, one wakeup attack in the game is an actual wakeup attack lol

The only character I can think of off the top of my head that looks like they have good wakeup attacks is Doomsday
Yeah his up shoulder seems fully invincible, combo punish though unless you MB it. Theres some other ones that are combo punish on block like Flash uppercut and Lex chest bump.

DS sword spin (not flip) is safe and fully invincible as well. You can whiff punish it pretty easy tho, if you read it and jump or walk away.

Some chars just have bad wake ups is all. Like shang tsung bad.

ForeverKing

Yeah his up shoulder seems fully invincible, combo punish though unless you MB it. Theres some other ones that are combo punish on block like Flash uppercut and Lex chest bump.

DS sword spin (not flip) is safe and fully invincible as well. You can whiff punish it pretty easy tho, if you read it and jump or walk away.

Some chars just have bad wake ups is all. Like shang tsung bad.
Yeah it seems like there are only 5 or 6 characters with viable wakeup attacks. I don't like that

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Yeah but in Street Fighter there are are ton of good wakeups that will stop pressure. Shoryken, fei long fire kick, balrog headbutt, blanka ball, sagat uppercut, chun li EX spinning bird kick.

The list goes on, there are a TON of wakeup attacks in Street Fighter that stop jumpins and meaty normals. Only like 10% of the wakeups in Injustice stop jumpins and meaty normals. If that, it might be less than 10% lol
I am not arguing that there aren't a bunch of shitty wakeups. In this game it's a definite asset to have a good one. Harley's Low drop kick comes to mind.

Wakeups in this game piss me off.

Not only is the buffer window way too short and hard to time, but then like 85% of wakeups get stuffed regardless, making them completely useless.

And this is on top of the fact that most specials are highly unsafe on block to begin with. Like, full combo unsafe. What was wrong with baiting punishable wakeups again?

But let's not forget everyone gets a free armored launcher against wakeups if they wanted. Oh, and that most D1s are safe on block and link into true full combos on hit, which interrupt a lot of wakeups.

I call shenanigans. Wakeups need to be at a point they can be respected. Right now they're a joke. Everybody just dashes in for pressure and it's pretty much completely free.

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
FOREVER KING

I tested the black adam lightning cage thing. I could never get meaties to stuff it. Jump ins beat it often though because the atk whiffs (invincibility wears our right after atk animation finishes)

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I simply do not understand the wakeup system in this game. In MK it was simple, if you go down and they try to pressure you, you do a wakeup attack which they must respect. In Injustice not only can I not get my wakeups out half the time, but even when I do they are stuffed by either a jumpin or pressure string. Sometimes the same move will even seem to have the "MK wakeup invincibility" and other times that same move will get blown up. What is going on?! This is especially blowing me up on 50/50's when I'm down. Is anyone else having a very hard time with wakeups in this game? What are we supposed to do? Backdash? Take the chip and push block? What about low starters vs jumpins? The input window for wakeups seem incredibly tight. And all wakeups except like 4 characters seem shitty. Help.
Well not to sound like a dickhead, but welcome to other fighting games. Not every fighting game has a wakeup system like mk9 where everyone has multiple wakeups.

Fore example: Guilty Gear, SSF4, Soul Calibur V, and basically every fighter aside from MK9 and sometimes injustice.

EMPEROR_THEO

I only use characters with wakeup scoops.
I'm having this problem playing as Sinestro. His arachnaid arms on wakeup is not only a high, but seems to always get stuffed by normals. Everything else he has is really, really slow up close. I'm guessing that's a "my character has shit wakeups" issue though.

But I think the game cut us some heavy slack by giving us the meterburn B3/F3 which is advantage on block (for most characters), so maybe we should just utilize that in the face of pressure as opposed to relying so much on wakeups. Green Lantern, while he does have crap wakeups, has a really, really fast F3 which would seem really braindead to use as a pressure escape tool.