What's new

Injustice is Hold Back to "Block"

Dark_Rob

Noob
But in SF for example the only time it forces you to block is if the opponent is close enough to connect attacks. Whiff punishing is very possible. I'm only stating this because not everyone is going to read your whole post.
Oh absolutely you can whiff punish in SF. Its just not always as simple as walking backwards like in MK. At high levels Street fighter footsies can trancend being a science and become an artform.

Controlls are NOT synonymus with Game Mechanics for fucks sakes. Hold Back to Block is a game mechanic unique to Injustice.

FPS games allow you to fucking re map buttons ala South Paw, Inverted, but the mechanics don't change.

Fuck, people are pissing me off with dumb shit.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Everyone bitching and moaning should just wait until MK10. Back to block isn't that big of a deal. Jesus.

If I:GAU isn't that great, I'll just go back to playing TTT2. I reserved my copy of that today. =)

I'm sure NRS will do another MK. Sure, it will be a while, but it will come. In the meantime, we still have MK9, and that's a damn solid game, if you ask me. This isn't MK. No one is forced to buy it.

Via_Negativa

Darkforge
Good. a dedicated block button in this day and age is archaic and unnecessary. Holding back just makes more sense and it works better. I know I am going to get hated on for this but I also think they should remove the block button from MK for the next game.

besides block "frames" are actually a problem in mk9 which is ridiculous and yes all the bitching on this is ridiculous as well, this community is a joke sometimes..

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Multiple meters per character? That's...

I have no words.
That just opens up the strategy of the game even more, in my opinion. Adds another layer of pros and cons for each character.

I'm just going to re-iterate what's probably been said here a million times already: Don't knock it til you try it.

I can understand where, if people's only fighting game was MK (ANY MK, not just 9), then blocking with the use of a direction rather than a button and not having all characters using the same meter can seem daunting. But I'm here to tell you all now that it's not.

I'm willing to wager that every single person in this community is a gamer and not someone whose only video game in the world that they have ever played is Mortal Kombat. And what is the one key fundamental that we have had to learn to do as we have moved on from game to game? The ability to adapt.

The ability to adapt to button configurations. HUD's. The speed of gameplay. The controllers.

Oh my God, the controllers....I'm sure that many of you will remember when we first saw the Nintendo 64 controller and were like, "How can I play a video game on this contraption?".

But then, we did exactly that.

Remember when you first saw the vanilla Xbox controller? You probably thought, "How can I play a video game on this contraption?".

But then, we did exactly that. ............til we got the Xbox S controller. Then we never touched that vanilla fuck ever again. But I digress.

Injustice is just another opportunity for some to adapt again. I'm not trying to make a case that you HAVE to adapt. I'm trying to make a case that you have the ABILITY to adapt. Don't sell yourselves short. Give Injustice a whirl.

You might surprise yourself as to what you can do. :)

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
So how are you walking backwards? To walk backwards don't you hold down the back button?

what's a charge attack?

Also, add me to the scrub category. lol
you're not a scrub, heh. The only time you actually block is if you are in range of the opponent's attack and they are throwing it. If Batman throws a punch and Superman holds back, he will back up until he punch hits him and when the punch is done hitting him and he's blocked it, superman will continue to back up.

A charge attack is an attack that must be "charged" to perform. Say Sub-zero's Slide was a charge attack. He would have to hold back for a second, then press forward, then 4 to do the slide. Charge attacks are usually really strong or good, but are kinda dumb to perform. (I hate charge characters lol)

In this vid, notice how they block. They do it by holding back, but it doesn't actually happen until they get hit. Think of it this way: If you are holding back, you are getting hit, but not taking damage.

As for charging, Bison (Red Nazi guy) is a charge character, that flip kick thing he does is a charge move. He charges it by holding Down and back to do the charge motion, so he can stand still and still charge.

BTW, I hate charge characters with a passion and I know I said it already, but I just don't...like... them... The person who thought charge characters were a good idea should go get his ear stuck in a blender... GWUWUUAAA/endrant

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Semi Evil Ryu

with the inspirational speeches! Sounded like something out of Mass Effect right before you go into a big fight. lol

Almost worked... almost. ;)

When I'm not comfortable with something in a game (like the controls)... I find that I don't perform as well as I potentially could. That's why, like I said earlier, that I'm always switching controls back to the something that resembles what I'm used to using. For example with MK9... I can't stand having the block button on the right trigger... so I switch it to the left side, b/c for my brain apparently having the block (and the button that activates enhanced moves) on the same side as the buttons that I use to move around makes sense to me. It makes the timing easier for me to get the enhanced moves when I want them to come out.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I'm shocked at the number of people who think holding back is somehow a problem.

It's how basically every other fighting game outside of MK works. I promise anyone who is concerned that it is somehow a bad thing.... it is not. It's great.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
Duuuuuude. As a lifelong Guile main... charge characters are AWESOME. Once you get the love, the playstyle is just so fucking fun.

Guile / Honda / Blanka right here.
I will not fall for your charged ways!!! Except for Chun li... and Q... but other than them, never!!!

Skkra

I will not fall for your charged ways!!! Except for Chun li... and Q... but other than them, never!!!
Hahahaha get outta here then, you know you love charge characters. I almost forgot I play Chun as well.

It's a different mechanic, but it becomes completely transparent to your play once you learn it.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
Hahahaha get outta here then, you know you love charge characters. I almost forgot I play Chun as well.

It's a different mechanic, but it becomes completely transparent to your play once you learn it.
I'll be completely honest, outside of Chun li (who is like semi charge anyway >_>) only charge character I ever really liked was Q because of his charge moves were completely H/M/L mix ups and that kicked ass :D

It's just, charging is not my style, I need to be all up in your face constantly.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
you're not a scrub, heh. The only time you actually block is if you are in range of the opponent's attack and they are throwing it. If Batman throws a punch and Superman holds back, he will back up until he punch hits him and when the punch is done hitting him and he's blocked it, superman will continue to back up.

A charge attack is an attack that must be "charged" to perform. Say Sub-zero's Slide was a charge attack. He would have to hold back for a second, then press forward, then 4 to do the slide. Charge attacks are usually really strong or good, but are kinda dumb to perform. (I hate charge characters lol)

*Video Snip

In this vid, notice how they block. They do it by holding back, but it doesn't actually happen until they get hit. Think of it this way: If you are holding back, you are getting hit, but not taking damage.

As for charging, Bison (Red Nazi guy) is a charge character, that flip kick thing he does is a charge move. He charges it by holding Down and back to do the charge motion, so he can stand still and still charge.
So you can't ever block in anticipation of an attack? Like if in MK back was block and you're playing kano... you know he's going to throw a knife so you block, but the knife isn't there yet so your character is walking backwards. That doesn't sound very appealing to me.

I also didn't see much blocking in that video. Looks like a game where blocking is just done away with. =/

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Semi Evil Ryu

with the inspirational speeches! Sounded like something out of Mass Effect right before you go into a big fight. lol

Almost worked... almost. ;)

When I'm not comfortable with something in a game (like the controls)... I find that I don't perform as well as I potentially could. That's why, like I said earlier, that I'm always switching controls back to the something that resembles what I'm used to using. For example with MK9... I can't stand having the block button on the right trigger... so I switch it to the left side, b/c for my brain apparently having the block (and the button that activates enhanced moves) on the same side as the buttons that I use to move around makes sense to me. It makes the timing easier for me to get the enhanced moves when I want them to come out.
I still believe that you can learn it, though. It will just take a little bit of practice and building of your muscle memory.

Dude, when I first picked up MK 9, I was coming directly from playing Street Fighter games and Marvel for almost three years straight. My last MK was Deception back in 2004. It took me almost a week to re-build my muscle memory to have blocking occur with the press of a button, rather than the direction of my joystick.

Which brings me back to my original point of my speech: we CAN adapt. We've done it in the past.

If anything, your Injustice character of choice is going to get punched in the face only so many times before you teach yourself the mechanics of blocking. But you WILL teach yourself, if you give it time.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
So you can't ever block in anticipation of an attack? Like if in MK back was block and you're playing kano... you know he's going to throw a knife so you block, but the knife isn't there yet so your character is walking backwards. That doesn't sound very appealing to me.

I also didn't see much blocking in that video. Looks like a game where blocking is just done away with. =/
I probably found a bad video, sorry. Here's a better one:
hopefully this displays blocking better

As for the other thing about blocking, you can quickly low block if you see a projectile to keep your place and still block the attack. As for overheads, projectile overheads are something that like... don't exist lol. Physical overheads means they're close enough that it doesn't matter anyway.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
"Stereotype" that people that play mk are only good at mk? Wtf does this mean dude? I'm not that good at any other fighter and I'm ok with that. We're called the mk community. Not the "lets try and be good at every fighter because its our destiny" community. Does the starcraft community care if everyone doesn't play or is good at supreme commander 2? Same deal here. Sorry I have to come off as an ass though.
Ok let me rephrase that then:

MK players are like CoD players in the sense of that they think everything else sucks but MK.

Even goes to the point where even if it's a game NRS themselves make but it's not MK they won't play it.

Skkra

Hahahahaha this is the biggest snap judgement ever. You have clearly never played other 2D games where you hold back to block - which is fine! - but allow me and legions and legions of dedicates fans of said games around the world assure you that it is a perfectly fine, if not better, mechanic than a block button.

If you really want to block in anticipation, just hold down/back to hold your current position. Instead of dash blocking, if you were playing footsies, you'd just walk forward a bit, hold down/back, walk forward a bit, hold down/back.

Footsies are different and I dare say stronger/better when back is block. The more you play the more you get to see it.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Hahahahaha this is the biggest snap judgement ever. You have clearly never played other 2D games where you hold back to block - which is fine! - but allow me and legions and legions of dedicates fans of said games around the world assure you that it is a perfectly fine, if not better, mechanic than a block button.

If you really want to block in anticipation, just hold down/back to hold your current position. Instead of dash blocking, if you were playing footsies, you'd just walk forward a bit, hold down/back, walk forward a bit, hold down/back.

Footsies are different and I dare say stronger/better when back is block. The more you play the more you get to see it.
lol, I already said the only other fighter I've ever played was Tekken and it was 3D, but it did have back to block. (which I hated).

"Walk forward a bit, hold down+back, walk forward a bit, hold down+back" ... now see... in this example... how is that better than... walk forward a bit, hold block, walk forward a bit, hold block? I just don't get it.

So you can only crouch block unless you're getting hit... so awkward! lol

Skkra

lol, I already said the only other fighter I've ever played was Tekken and it was 3D, but it did have back to block. (which I hated).

"Walk forward a bit, hold down+back, walk forward a bit, hold down+back" ... now see... in this example... how is that better than... walk forward a bit, hold block, walk forward a bit, hold block? I just don't get it.

So you can only crouch block unless you're getting hit... so awkward! lol
I'm not explaining it well. The block button really is an unnecessary game mechanic.

You don't NEED to "block in anticipation," in any game, really... if anything, you block on reaction, or, when you DO block either standing or crouching in anticipation of an opponent's attack, you're not doing it randomly from across the screen... you're doing it right in footsie range, when you think they're going to attack. The "hold back" mechanic automatically suits this need by blocking when you'll be hit, and walking backwards otherwise.

Once you get used to it, the block button will feel unnecessary.

Skkra

If you're not into Street Fighter, this won't be that amazing or impressive, but this DOES show an insane footsies battle between two of the best in the world. You can see how they can play a tight and dynamic footsies game. You can see that whenever they're anticipating a fireball or low kick, they simply instantly block with back or down/back. It definitely doesn't impede game flow.

Tw1sted

Noob
alright i came out of retirement to give my two cents on this

i think its great. no block button means i can safely move around. means we'll see a greater emphasis on footsies. i think we'll finally be able to tech throws while blocking. if character jump arcs aren't all the exact same, then we've got true crossups now. even a way to make them ambiguous. also news flash; the rest of the fighting game community thinks its weird to have a block button. its time we take off the training wheels and start playing some grown up fighting games and get with the rest of the community.

also it means that now arcade stick players don't have to sit there and strategically plan out the billion different places to put the stupid block button, that doesn't really work well with arcade sticks to begin with. i don't like using my thumb to block. i don't using my thumb at all on my stick. if this game is going to be just 4 buttons then hey, standard neogeo layout works just fine by me.

i personally think this could be the game that might get all those street fighter players who picked up MK in april '11 and stopped playing after PDP to come back to the community. call it a pipedream, but i hope this community becomes accepted by the other 2d fighting games communities because a bigger and more cooperative fighting game community is a better fighting game community.

and thats what i think