What's new

Injustice is Hold Back to "Block"

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.

If you're not into Street Fighter, this won't be that amazing or impressive, but this DOES show an insane footsies battle between two of the best in the world. You can see how they can play a tight and dynamic footsies game. You can see that whenever they're anticipating a fireball or low kick, they simply instantly block with back or down/back. It definitely doesn't impede game flow.
Amazing, just amazing... SSF4 at the highest level... I wonder if we ever gonna see MK9 at the highest level...:(

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Exactly.
They're trying to pander to the MK crowd, while at the same time making a bigger attempt to appeal to the rest of the FGC seeing as this being a non-MK title means they can do with and adapt to whatever the hell they please..

I like it. And as was said, no more Meter Drain Glitch = fucking $$$.
I thought the meter drain "glitch" was just when a character is hit on the first frame of their ex move. If so, it has nothing to do with block mechanics...?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I thought the meter drain "glitch" was just when a character is hit on the first frame of their ex move. If so, it has nothing to do with block mechanics...?

Yes, yes indeed. But I didn't mean it i nreference to the blocking, I just meant that if the EX moves in this game operate in a different way - i.e., cinematic style and instantaneous or something to that effect, or their properties are different enough in general to avoid being glitched out of - then poof, glitch = gone :D.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Yes, yes indeed. But I didn't mean it i nreference to the blocking, I just meant that if the EX moves in this game operate in a different way - i.e., cinematic style and instantaneous or something to that effect, or their properties are different enough in general to avoid being glitched out of - then poof, glitch = gone :D.
Oh, ok :)

Cinematic moves bother me. You know how fatalities got repetetive? From the looks of it, knocking someone through the stage, or Harleys bomb trap, or Supermans god-punch, all take a long time. Far too long to be going through multiple instances of these in each round. Imagine an MK9 match where 25-50% of it were x-rays. Boring, anyone?

Here's hoping nrs doesn't go overboard with cinematic fights. I like playing my character, not sitting back and watching the game play for me.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Oh, ok :)

Cinematic moves bother me. You know how fatalities got repetetive? From the looks of it, knocking someone through the stage, or Harleys bomb trap, or Supermans god-punch, all take a long time. Far too long to be going through multiple instances of these in each round. Imagine an MK9 match where 25-50% of it were x-rays. Boring, anyone?

Here's hoping nrs doesn't go overboard with cinematic fights. I like playing my character, not sitting back and watching the game play for me.

Understandable, for sure. To me, my want for the cutscene combat or lack thereof is gonna depend on the length/size of the fight. Whether the norm's gonna be your 2 round MK/SF duel, a 3 outta 5 SC back and forth, or a Marvel-style "HIT HIM UNTIL HE'S DEAD" singular standoff. If it's built to cater towards a shorter, flashier fight, than I hope they limit the cinematics accordingly, but if we're gonna have big, lengthy battles on our hands, that's a different story, as one might want some extra destructive intrigue just to liven up the fight...which in a world where every fighter adheres to the laws of the timer, it'd be interesting if they took the proverbial cap off the bottle and made more room for a bigger, bolder battle.

Flagg

Noob
Amazing, just amazing... SSF4 at the highest level... I wonder if we ever gonna see MK9 at the highest level...:(
Daigo and Valle always put on a good show, I wish Valle pursued with MK 9.

But yeah, holding back to block is the least of this games problems. It looks horrendously gimmicky. Throwing cars, ultras taking as long as a Final Fantasy summon..crap like that gets boring real fast.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch

But yeah, holding back to block is the least of this games problems. It looks horrendously gimmicky. Throwing cars, ultras taking as long as a Final Fantasy summon..crap like that gets boring real fast.
Dont go and talk up turn based MK10 mate ;)

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.

I've played every fighter from MK2,UMK3,SSf2,KI1,Ki2,KOFs,Bloody Roar,Tekken,Soul Calibur whatever holding back is not a problem for me but remember that nrs has never done a game without the block button so they may not be aware of how hard its to block a cross up properly... imagine mk9 without a block button all those mix ups. jump in punch cross over, jip grab, jip low starter. jip high, jip block string, jip cross up low starter, etc. I just think its gonna be too much

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Back to block highers the skill cap of the game. What the fuck is the problem?
I personally believe that the standard "back to block" ultimately allows for a higher level of gameplay in a 2D fighter, but a lot of MK fans have not branched out into, or were not also raised on, other 2D fighters.

I may not agree with that stance, but particularly if you're an MK purist and haven't played Tekken/Marvel/SF/KOF/GG/etc, I can at understand the initial trepidation.

Saint

Noob
I dont think you guys are seeing the big picture.:p
The big picture is NRS announces a game and suddenly everyone is a developer and expert on the subject and think they fucking know it all.

Newsflash for 99% of you, you don't know jack shit

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
The big picture is NRS announces a game and suddenly everyone is a developer and expert on the subject and think they fucking know it all.
I dont, but I think out of 20 years of playing fighting games I may have picked up a little bit you know?

Skkra

remember that nrs has never done a game without the block button so they may not be aware of how hard its to block a cross up properly
Yeah, but I cant imagine that the development team has never played other fighters where you CAN do that. It's not like Mike Z had previous game development experience at ALL, let alone years of it, and he still made an awesome, deep game that deals with crossups properly. I don't believe that its an issue at all as far as NRS's dev team is concerned.

MK9 doesn't lend itself to ambiguous crossups; all crossups are incredibly obvious due to the way the game plays and the characters move and jump. Back to block in MK9 would still be a breeze to stop crossups since they're not remotely ambiguous.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Yeah, but I cant imagine that the development team has never played other fighters where you CAN do that. It's not like Mike Z had previous game development experience at ALL, let alone years of it, and he still made an awesome, deep game that deals with crossups properly. I don't believe that its an issue at all as far as NRS's dev team is concerned.

MK9 doesn't lend itself to ambiguous crossups; all crossups are incredibly obvious due to the way the game plays and the characters move and jump. Back to block in MK9 would still be a breeze to stop crossups since they're not remotely ambiguous.
Ok I get that.

Now out of curiosity, do you think think mk9 would have worked out with holding back to block?

Skkra

Now out of curiosity, do you think think mk9 would have worked out with holding back to block?
Hmm. Probably? If that was the ONLY change, yeah, it wouldn't change too much. Crossups are easy in this game, as in they are never ambiguous.

But you can't really make a true comparison, since the gameplay for MK9 was tuned around having a block button. But yes, I think you could've made some minor changes, held back to block, and had the game be just as awesome.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I don't know if I like this, but in MK9, for example, it's sometimes better to walk backwards than stand there and block. Maybe this could be good, who knows.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
The most obvious thing that Ed Boon needs to do is give Seth a call. At the end of the day, saying shit is just saying it. There's no point arguing someone's opinion on the matter. Either you like or you don't. I don't mind either, I just develop the mortal kombat or street fighter complex when switching between games. And hey, isn't the game in alpha stages? A LOT can change between now and when the game actually drops.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Hmm. Probably? If that was the ONLY change, yeah, it wouldn't change too much. Crossups are easy in this game, as in they are never ambiguous.

But you can't really make a true comparison, since the gameplay for MK9 was tuned around having a block button. But yes, I think you could've made some minor changes, held back to block, and had the game be just as awesome.
yeah blocking ermacs, quan chi, scorpion, mileenas ex and smokes ex teleport would've been so much fun with holding back to block lol

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
You know in SkullGirl's they're patching in the ability to skip Valentine's cinematic super? Give it a month or so, they'll probably patch that into this game too

Skkra

yeah blocking ermacs, quan chi, scorpion, mileenas ex and smokes ex teleport would've been so much fun with holding back to block lol
That's why I also said "I think you could've made some minor changes" when I mentioned making back to block. They'd probably want to change the way some of those moves, particularly maybe Smoke's EX, worked. Honestly though, you wouldn't even absolutely need to. Everything you mentioned except Smoke's EX teleport would be a breeze to block by holding back. None of those moves have a particularly fast startup.

If you've ever seen high-level MVC3, you see those players running insane setups and mixups - simultaneous high/low and front/back - at ridiculous speeds, and they're still able to be blocked.

Skkra

but this is NRS, I don't want to play a Capcom style game. :(
It's basically every style except for MK. I'm with MK Peanuts... if you all really only play games with a block button, you've missed out on a LOT of fun over the past 20 years!

You should really expand your mind and give these other games a serious shot. I gave MK a shot by playing a game WITH a block button, and what do you know... it's an incredible game I would've otherwise missed out on!