What's new

Injustice is Hold Back to "Block"

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
NRs wont know how to deal with cross-ups, its gonna be all kinds of fucked up and OP.
Oh and KI1Ae was godlike, KI2 was bad...like really bad lol
maybe not as bad but deff not KI anymore
You say that like no one on NRS has ever played a fighter outside of their own >_>

OZZYGUITAR

Back-dash Adam
meh, idk if i want to play this game at all, so now its time to see if somebody else gets it,u know, so i can test it out to see if its worth it. The problem is that it doesn't sound good at a high level. interactive backgrounds are the main problem, like seriously? wtf... i really really want it to be good but it gets worse for me everyday now

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
It has always felt off to me to hold back to block in every fighter I've ever played as much as I like Tekken it still feels awkward to me.
Man, I say thank god its holding back. Holding back is the most natural action to take when blocking, and it adds depth in crossups and such. It's also just a million times easier and you don't need to worry about entering and leaving clunky block states.

Espio

Kokomo
Man, I say thank god its holding back. Holding back is the most natural action to take when blocking, and it adds depth in crossups and such. It's also just a million times easier and you don't need to worry about entering and leaving clunky block states.
It doesn't feel natural to me, and I'm not saying that to be contrarian and annoying, it literally feels weird to me.

I've played Tekken and Street Fighter for years, I've played almost every single Tekken and Street Fighter game in existance to formulate my personal opinion.

I'm not saying it's wrong or bad for people to prefer back to block, it's their personal taste and I respect that.

Maybe it would be deeper, not saying it wouldn't, and I'm not trying to be against depth of a fighter.

I think Injustice looks good overall and will do fine.

I just want to clarify that I support NRS trying new things and taking risks, even if I'm not in full agreement with it:).

Maaaan... the game looks so good in those interviews, god dammit why can't you have MK controls!? WHHHHHY!?!?!

:(
Play with me and we'll scrub it out together:).

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
everybody knows you have to adapt to different things anytime you play a new fighter. the fact is there will be all kinda dumb crap you have to adapt to so good luck to you all in Ultimate Detective Comics. oh and you aren't any better than the next guy just cuz you aren't complaining. so quit acting like you are. everybody has their preferences and when you come to expect one thing and get slapped in the face with another. anybody would be salty. People spend their hard earned money on things that they will have fun with not things that they are gonna hate for months til they "just get used to it". fuck that shit we are the consumers and have all the right in the world to complain about things we don't like!

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Can someone explain how CrossUps are "legit" now since there is no block button? I thought in MK9 when you jump punch over it's considered a "cross up".

Nonetheless everyone seems super excited about no block button and CrossUps now...

Also, what's character specific meter?

I don't know if this has been answered yet or not seeing as how I'm not done reading, but "crossups" only occur in MK when someone jumps over 1 of your attacks to the other side or when you're duck blocking.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
because it ain't MK :/
Controls don't make MK, MK. What makes MK, MK ... is the blood and gore, the fatalities, the characters, and story.

This argument is one of the worst I've seen on here. It's already not MK, having MK's controls won't change that.

There's a reason why other games like shooters allow you to change the preset. They may have their own "unique" preset to make their game feel different, but I always change it to make the aiming to either LT or Right Stick... reloading to RB or X. B/c that is more comfortable and way less awkward.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Why the fuck is everyone crying about not having a block button? Instead of pressing a trigger you hold back.....wtf is the big deal to some of you. I personally felt like having a block button was scrubbish.

Most of you just want this to play the same as MK so you can just pick it up and be good immediately which is lazy and sad.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Oh, and for the record. All the people bitching are just proving the stereotype that MK players are only good in MK.

So just please, if you will...shut the fuck up.
"Stereotype" that people that play mk are only good at mk? Wtf does this mean dude? I'm not that good at any other fighter and I'm ok with that. We're called the mk community. Not the "lets try and be good at every fighter because its our destiny" community. Does the starcraft community care if everyone doesn't play or is good at supreme commander 2? Same deal here. Sorry I have to come off as an ass though.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
dont ask how i know this but the game will have 3 controller presets one with a block button
If this is true... I'm in there, day one purchase.

It's not that I don't want to have to learn... that's the fun part. I pick up different characters constantly in MK. I just don't want to have to worry about blocking when I'm trying to walk back and forth or having to do some weird input to stop from walking backwards. It's just way too awkward to not be able to hold down a separate button to block.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
If this is true... I'm in there, day one purchase.

It's not that I don't want to have to learn... that's the fun part. I pick up different characters constantly in MK. I just don't want to have to worry about blocking when I'm trying to walk back and forth or having to do some weird input to stop from walking backwards. It's just way too awkward to not be able to hold down a separate button to block.

This is the first valid point I've read in here. Have you ever played SF? You can walk backwards without blocking the whole time...the only time you can't is when attacks are landing then you are forced to block. I'm ok with this 100%. Something good out of it is it's possible there will be charge attacks in the game...which means while you are blocking you can punish certain strings. I'm diggin it. Maybe it's because I play Blanka is SF lol.

EDIT; You can still make whiff punishes in SF btw...you can't when you're being hit while blocking though...this just enhances footsies. This will separate the good MK players from the scrubs.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Like alot of us on these boards I would assume, I have experience using both a block/guard button as well as holding back to block. The truth is both have their advantages and disadvantages. However both tend to work well for the games they have been implemented in.
It is difficult to imagine a game like Street Fighter using a block button, its equally difficult to imagine a game like Mortal Kombat using back to block.

Having used both, in terms of which one I like best I would probably give a slight nod to the block button for only one reason. It lets me choose whether I want to block or not. When using back to block, block obviously shares the same directional command as back. Whether you get "back" or "block" is triggered by whether your opponent is attacking you and if hes not attacking you, then you walk back. The game makes that determination for you.
In a game with a block button, the player controls whether hes going to block or not. This makes things like walking backward while your opponent whiffs an attack and then counter attacking easier. I get to make the choice myself rather than have the game do it for me.
Thats just one example though. A block button also has its share of disadvantages as well. Just as holding back to block has its share of advantages.
I cant speak to whether holding back to block will be good for Injustice because just knowing that alone isnt enough to give me anything. Its only one mechanic amongst many and how it works will depend on how all the other mechanics work with it.
But the system itself isnt new or shocking. Holding back to block has been around since the beginning of fighting games and is actually the mainstream, whereas we MK players are the oddballs who like having a button to block lol.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
So you are forced to block? What if i want to take a hit to get out of a frame trap? For example, Quan's Rune Trap, you take the hit and breaker. Or Kabal's 2 NDC?

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Like alot of us on these boards I would assume, I have experience using both a block/guard button as well as holding back to block. The truth is both have their advantages and disadvantages. However both tend to work well for the games they have been implemented in.
It is difficult to imagine a game like Street Fighter using a block button, its equally difficult to imagine a game like Mortal Kombat using back to block.

Having used both, in terms of which one I like best I would probably give a slight nod to the block button for only one reason. It lets me choose whether I want to block or not. When using back to block, block obviously shares the same directional command as back. Whether you get "back" or "block" is triggered by whether your opponent is attacking you and if hes not attacking you, then you walk back. The game makes that determination for you.
In a game with a block button, the player controls whether hes going to block or not. This makes things like walking backward while your opponent whiffs an attack and then counter attacking easier. I get to make the choice myself rather than have the game do it for me.
Thats just one example though. A block button also has its share of disadvantages as well. Just as holding back to block has its share of advantages.
I cant speak to whether holding back to block will be good for Injustice because just knowing that alone isnt enough to give me anything. Its only one mechanic amongst many and how it works will depend on how all the other mechanics work with it.
But the system itself isnt new or shocking. Holding back to block has been around since the beginning of fighting games and is actually the mainstream, whereas we MK players are the oddballs who like having a button to block lol.
But in SF for example the only time it forces you to block is if the opponent is close enough to connect attacks. Whiff punishing is very possible. I'm only stating this because not everyone is going to read your whole post.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
This is the first valid point I've read in here. Have you ever played SF? You can walk backwards without blocking the whole time...the only time you can't is when attacks are landing then you are forced to block. I'm ok with this 100%. Something good out of it is it's possible there will be charge attacks in the game...which means while you are blocking you can punish certain strings. I'm diggin it. Maybe it's because I play Blanka is SF lol.

EDIT; You can still make whiff punishes in SF btw...you can't when you're being hit while blocking though...this just enhances footsies. This will separate the good MK players from the scrubs.
The only other fighter I've ever played was Tekken (don't even know which one) and I was not into the game all the much, nor was I competitive about it. I didn't really care if I won or anything. But I do remember absolutely hating how you blocked in the game.

So how are you walking backwards? To walk backwards don't you hold down the back button?

what's a charge attack?

Also, add me to the scrub category. lol