What's new

Inaugural UMK2 Online Tournament - DONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Make sure you are playing with either LAN or Excellent connection settings to lessen the delay. Kaillera (for me) is 10x better, connection-wise, than og mk2 or mkak.
Yep I only use LAN. Is there any way to get your ping in the 20s on there? 3-5 frames of delay at 40+ ping gets old pretty quick...

God yeah I remember last time we tried playing on ps3 the connection was atrocious. Why does your internet hate PS3?

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
I remember this problem years ago... I had lists of server IPs lol
Hell yeah the old days i had a list of IPS myself because of that same issue. I find it funny i haven't really played Kalliera (mame online) since the days when myself (as HadesX/DarkStalker-D-) shock, mike and a few others use to play MK2 and UMK and the same issues are still there.

FYI I got the rom getting the emulator now so i should be able to get some sets in tommrrow once i set up PS3 controller for mame. (Yeah i should be on a stick i know heh).

nwo

Noob
Yep I only use LAN. Is there any way to get your ping in the 20s on there? 3-5 frames of delay at 40+ ping gets old pretty quick...

God yeah I remember last time we tried playing on ps3 the connection was atrocious. Why does your internet hate PS3?
You should play the game offline vs the CPU and hit f11 to display the emulation speed, it should be 100% or very close at all times. I doubt this is your problem, but believe it or not this is a problem for some people. They'll either have a piece of shit computer or a TON of other programs / processes running in the background, virus software, unhealthy PC's, etc. I wish there was a way to disqualify people if their emulation speed ever dropped below 98-100%, a lot of people would probably get weeded out lol. In my experience, the person with the better internet and hardware is usually the one who gets cheated.

One way to find out who's lagging is (if you're the host) type "/lagstat" in the chatbox, this will display lagspikes for each player. You really should try p2p though, its built into the n02 client also. Right underneath where you select your connection type, there's a "Change Mode" drop down box, you can change it from client mode to p2p mode. You can even join a p2p game without forwarding any ports, you just can't host. To host, you forward ports 27885-27890 in your router. That's what I do at least.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Hell yeah the old days i had a list of IPS myself because of that same issue. I find it funny i haven't really played Kalliera (mame online) since the days when myself (as HadesX/DarkStalker-D-) shock, mike and a few others use to play MK2 and UMK and the same issues are still there.

FYI I got the rom getting the emulator now so i should be able to get some sets in tommrrow once i set up PS3 controller for mame. (Yeah i should be on a stick i know heh).
I should be on then, hit me up :)
And yeah Kaillera is pretty archaic when you look at it. You would think in this day and age we could play 20 year old games in real time.
How the hell did anyone ever play online back in the early 2000s when people were on dial-up?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
You should play the game offline vs the CPU and hit f11 to display the emulation speed, it should be 100% or very close at all times. I doubt this is your problem, but believe it or not this is a problem for some people. They'll either have a piece of shit computer or a TON of other programs / processes running in the background, virus software, unhealthy PC's, etc. I wish there was a way to disqualify people if their emulation speed ever dropped below 98-100%, a lot of people would probably get weeded out lol. In my experience, the person with the better internet and hardware is usually the one who gets cheated.

One way to find out who's lagging is (if you're the host) type "/lagstat" in the chatbox, this will display lagspikes for each player. You really should try p2p though, its built into the n02 client also. Right underneath where you select your connection type, there's a "Change Mode" drop down box, you can change it from client mode to p2p mode. You can even join a p2p game without forwarding any ports, you just can't host. To host, you forward ports 27885-27890 in your router. That's what I do at least.
Mine said 100% and stayed there.
The problem seems to be location. For instance when I play in the New York server my ping is 50 because I live in the Midwest.
When I play in the Chicago server it's 30.
LOL at these guys from South America with 180 ping that try to join our MK games. Not happening!

Thanks for the suggestions, you definitely know Mame well :)
I play P2P with 1 guy and its the best connection I've had on there.
I tried forwarding my ports years ago and almost messed my router up.
So I can't host, but I know how to join.

Do you know what that thing is on Kaillera games, when you type it in, a message comes up that says "This game will not receive any server activity" (or something like that?).
I remember playing MK2 with a guy and the connection sucked. He typed in something and the connection changed to near perfect. It was along the lines of "/lagstat".

nwo

Noob
Mine said 100% and stayed there.
Do you know what that thing is on Kaillera games, when you type it in, a message comes up that says "This game will not receive any server activity" (or something like that?).
I remember playing MK2 with a guy and the connection sucked. He typed in something and the connection changed to near perfect. It was along the lines of "/lagstat".
I believe the command you're talking about is "/p2pon". I'm pretty sure its not real p2p though.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
@ZAQ, since you are going to be a part of this tournament would you mind running the bracket? I unfortunately need to bow out as I have a commitment I cannot get out of this weekend. I do not want to push this back another week as I know you guys have been waiting patiently and really want to do this.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
@ZAQ, since you are going to be a part of this tournament would you mind running the bracket? I unfortunately need to bow out as I have a commitment I cannot get out of this weekend. I do not want to push this back another week as I know you guys have been waiting patiently and really want to do this.
Poop! I was looking forward to facing your Liu and Lao :(

Reactions: MKB

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
been really sick today and still forgot all about this. I am trying to obtain the emulator now but i might have to bow out.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
You don't have the game yet??
I got it and patched it but i am getting a dam error saying i have to update saying to update comctl32.dll which i can't. Then i try to play and i can't change inputs or us controller. :( I am in TYM chat.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Fuck... I totally forgot about this. I was around but working on something that I can't really work on any other time... damn it I really wanted to do this and support the game.

Sorry everyone ;_;

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Fuck... I totally forgot about this. I was around but working on something that I can't really work on any other time... damn it I really wanted to do this and support the game.

Sorry everyone ;_;
Don't feel too bad, no one was there to run the tournament anyway.

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
I was thinking it was an hour later than it really was. I thought it was going down at 8 Central and it was actually 6 Central. I had the time backwards. Sorry.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
Imo let's just plan for the next one. I got help with the rom and had it running with some help by 6:38 est . Btw I am loving this patch :) besides how my ps3 controller acts like ass at time's. Imo It was a mistake and I honestly don't fault anyone because people can misread and the time zone thing still catches me at times with watching a tournament etc. . In regard to konqr he jumped right on the second after he realized he was late. I am.not speaking for shock but I remember he said he will try to make it but he wasn't sure if he could (i think it's on the 1st page I forget) . I apologize for not having my rom up and running ahead of time as I didn't expect to have issues running mame being I used mame/ emulation for yrs. I also can blame certain family issues but me being in the chat unprepared asking for help was wrong and I should of been DQED if the tournament started. For that I apologize to everyone. Regardless of the start time confusion etc.. I look forward to playing u guys again on mame or definitely in tournament.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I got there at 6:26 PM and you were already on kaillera playing.
I remember the tournament started at 7PM and I just fucked up with my timezone, my bad.
Either way, it's customary to wait 30 mins before DQs start. In which case, I would have still gotten there with time to spare.

It's funny how you are willing to wait 2 weeks for a tournament, but not 30 mins for people to arrive for it. And then complain for two days afterward.
I'm already tired of it.
Meh whatever. Free tournament on laggy Mame. I don't really care.
Was trying to support what little MK2 community is left.
Just thought we deserved an explanation as to why no one showed.
Didn't get one until I asked...which somehow was read as "complaining"?

If anything this has made me appreciate how well past tournaments were run by @MKillBill

Reactions: MKB

nwo

Noob
Meh whatever. Free tournament on laggy Mame. I don't really care.
I've seen you say this like 10 times. MAME itself does not lag, or it should not. I play vs certain people all the time and we have perfectly smooth games. Kaillera has its problems but peer 2 peer is a step up, a massive step up a lot of times. Some people still have problems running MAME smoothly in 2014, and its mind boggling. I tried to help a couple new people out last weekend and this one guy had ZERO lag spikes until he started pressing buttons (to play) then the game would slow down and his lag spikes would explode. This was due to an under powered processor (I know how to diagnose these problems by now). I asked him about his PC and sure enough he was on a very old AMD 2GHz machine.

The funniest thing is, my Pentium 4 machine from 2004 (10 years old) runs UMK3 perfectly smooth 100% of the time, of course I've upgraded a few times since.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Guys guys, if there is a chance that the majory plays on a tournament, i think you guys should break the ice and wait up.

We do this all the time, specially if this 1 or 2 person will help to set up a new record of attendance players, and in the end of the day, is always more hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.