What's new

If I was going to start listening to Metal, where would I start?

BGMD

Noob
and without a single Mike Patton project? Jesus.
speaking of that, not sure if I would categorize that as metal, it's to much out there and all over the place... all 3 Mr. Bungle albums are radically different, Fantomas is pure avantgarde weirdness... but I love Patton stuff, Mr. Bungle top 5

Rosegoddess3

Diamond Dust
Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Metallica are definitely musts for anyone new to metal.

However, here's a few of my favorite "metal" songs/music videos:

Cradle of Filth/Liv Kristine: Nymphetamine

H.I.M.: Wicked Game (cover...the cool Euro one, not the U.S. released single)

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
speaking of that, not sure if I would categorize that as metal, it's to much out there and all over the place... all 3 Mr. Bungle albums are radically different, Fantomas is pure avantgarde weirdness... but I love Patton stuff, Mr. Bungle top 5
Tomahawk.

DoctrineDark

Too little, too late...
Moonspell, Children of bodom, Inflames, Dimmu Borgir, Arch enemy, Therion, Mago de oz, Rata Blanca, Silent Stream of goodless elegy, Haggard.... Also: KMFDM, Die Krupps, Ministry...

is good to get started.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
btw please add spoiler tags if you're posting multiple videos. it makes pages load faster when there's not 50 youtube videos on a thread page

BGMD

Noob
Tomahawk is more of a alter/noise rock hybrid, just because there is distortion that doesn't make it metal

A lot of you guys need to realize, he's trying to break into it, which means a lot of this stuff is not the greatest way to do it.
Also, to whoever said Morbid Angel are a good starting point, lolwut? MA are fucking awesome, but definitely not a starter band. <.<

Anyway, I just remembered this band, Draconian, a Gothic Doom metal band.

Another band that I'm just starting to look into more(I know, shame on me for taking so long) is Type O Negative.

If you like either of those, maybe try moving into more traditional stoner/doom metal like Sleep or Candlemass.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
A lot of you guys need to realize, he's trying to break into it, which means a lot of this stuff is not the greatest way to do it.
Also, to whoever said Morbid Angel are a good starting point, lolwut? MA are fucking awesome, but definitely not a starter band. <.<

Anyway, I just remembered this band, Draconian, a Gothic Doom metal band.

Another band that I'm just starting to look into more(I know, shame on me for taking so long) is Type O Negative.

If you like either of those, maybe try moving into more traditional stoner/doom metal like Sleep or Candlemass.

SteezyPhresh

Ignorant Scrub
Not if you keep posting some of the stuff everyone else is posting. <.<
Super-aggressive, fast, and harsh vocals aren't the most immediately welcoming thing to hear, so I'm going for less abrasive stuff.

Maybe check out some soilwork then. Figure Number Five and Natural Born Chaos are great albums.

Also 36 crazyfists, Nevermore, Dream Evil. Shop around, see what you like.

Error

DF2+R2
Not if you keep posting some of the stuff everyone else is posting. <.<
Super-aggressive, fast, and harsh vocals aren't the most immediately welcoming thing to hear, so I'm going for less abrasive stuff.
Is this accessible enough to ease him into metal? I mean, I'm running out of ideas here.:D

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
OK, actual post. There are way too many genres of metal to get into, but from the looks of it you don't want things that are too extreme and are likely staying away from harsh vocals. What I recommend:

Alt Metal:
Katatonia - "Dead End Kings"
The Man-Eating Tree - "Harvest"

Gothic Metal:
Draconian - "Rose for the Apocalypse"
Woods of Ypres - "The Green Album", "The Deepest Roots and Darkest Blues"

Folk Metal:
Korpiklaani - "Manala"
Alestorm - "Captain Morgan's Revenge"

Power Metal:
Symphony X - "Paradise Lost"
Falconer - "Chapters of a Vale Forlorn"

Melodic Death: (not clean vocals a lot of the time, but very beautiful music that's easy to get into)
Dark Tranquillity - "Haven", "Character", (anything really, they're fuckin' amazing)
Insomnium - "Since the Day it all Came Down"

Other:
Unleash the Archers - "Demons of the AstroWaste" (mix of a lot of genres lol)

Don't take this to be a list of my favorite bands (although Woods and DT are definitely in that list too), but rather fun/easy listening entry points into various genres of metal that are probably a bit less extreme than some, but respectable do justice to the genre.