What's new

If I was going to start listening to Metal, where would I start?

SZSR

Noob
sooo, not quite as growly as this?
~snip
No, not really, haha.

Both are excellent starters for getting into it.
I'm not particularly well-versed in Sabbath, but I would say give any of Metallica's first 4 albums(Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, And Justice for All) a full listen to see if anything clicks.

Staying in a Thrash metal vein, Testament and Sodom are both exceptional for the aggression combined with excellent songwriting skills and melody.
Alright, i'll start doing homework. :)

STB|Beef_Supreme, Haha, I like that attitude.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
I personally don't mind it, but its one of those things that you have to work your way up to imo.
I started with Manson and Slipknot when I was 13 . Next was cradle of filth and because of them I started listening to BM :p
But yeah ppl hate BM , Even some of my friends who are in metal hates it lol

I am gonna say fuck easing into it. Listen to the following albums-

Artist - Album:

Meshuggah - Catch33
Meshuggah - Obzen
Lamb of God - Wrath
Lamb of God - Sacrement
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake
Volumes - Via
August Burns Red - Constellations
Impending Doom - Baptized in Filth
For Today - Immortal
The Contortionist - Exoplanet
In Search of Sight - Entanglement (friends of mine)
Killswitch Engage - Disarm the Descent
DevilDriver - Fury of our Maker's Hand
DevilDriver - The Last Kind Words
Shadows Fall - The War Within
Across the Sun - Pestilence & Rapture
MudVayne - LD50
Not a fan of everything listed, but Meshuggah, Killswitch Engage and first 3 albums of Mudvayne I have been listening to extensively:)

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I started with Manson and Slipknot when I was 13 . Next was cradle of filth and because of them I started listening to BM :p
But yeah ppl hate BM , Even some of my friend who are in metal hate it lol
I can respect all of those bands, but yeah, its a tough genre.

Start with Metallica circa 1986-96. Then Tool, post-Opiate.

Then use what you learned to move away from metal into industrial, trip-hop and/or early dubstep. Metal went to complete and utter shit circa 2000.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I am gonna say fuck easing into it. Listen to the following albums-

Artist - Album:

Meshuggah - Catch33
Meshuggah - Obzen
Lamb of God - Wrath
Lamb of God - Sacrement
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake
Volumes - Via
August Burns Red - Constellations
Impending Doom - Baptized in Filth
For Today - Immortal
The Contortionist - Exoplanet
In Search of Sight - Entanglement (friends of mine)
Killswitch Engage - Disarm the Descent
DevilDriver - Fury of our Maker's Hand
DevilDriver - The Last Kind Words
Shadows Fall - The War Within
Across the Sun - Pestilence & Rapture
MudVayne - LD50
A lot of this could actually be perfect, KsE, Shadows Fall, some MudVayne etc are all fairly melodic so its easier to get into. Good list.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Try something instrumental, lots of bands vocals grind on me but i will still enjoy them because i enjoy the whole product together. Nothing more annoying than people who dont like "shouty music" but wont listen to any kinds of metal.

Saffa

Noob
I dare anyone not to get a smile while listening to this:

OP, depends if you like melody, groove or down right dirty heavy stuff.
I started with Metallica, Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath but I love it all, from cheezy hair metal to modern death. To me the best period to listen to was sort of at the start of the new wave of American metal. Bands like Killswitch Engage, Trivium, Devildriver,As I Lay Dying and All that remains. Plus the Euro bands from that period, In Flames, Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom etc.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
As others have mentioned some good choice, Megadeth, (Rust in Peace is excellent) his voice can be a little annoying but writes really well made songs and great riffs. System of a down isn't really metal, but they have a great blend of heavy and light dynamics. I can't really get into the whole sounds like I'm barfing up a lung metal singing though. A great band who I've seen around 4 times are the Cancer Bats, they are more of a metal/punk melding with some cool riffs and melodies. Slipknot also blends melody with a lot of heaviness too.
Korn is what people called "nu metal"Their first 2 or 3 albums were decent then started getting a bit boring, then turned into an electro metal band which I thought was kind of cool (See you on the other side)

Anyways if you like more melodic songs those are all some good choices IMO. .

Bruke

Wut
I got into metal by listening to early Linkin Park lol then I got into Avenged Sevenfold and eventually Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Cradle of Filth, Pantera, Slayer, All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, Amon Amarth, and The Agonist. I wouldn't suggest starting off with Linkin Park though lol.

Hobozzzx

Up the Irons!!!
As some other people have said before, any of Metallica's first 4 albums are a great place to start. I would also recommend either Reign in Blood or Seasons in the Abyss from Slayer at a minimum. If you're into newer stuff then I would definitely say to check out Trivium (Ascendancy or Shogun are their best albums IMO). Make sure to definitely check out Iron Maiden (my favorite band, so yeah I'm extremely biased). If you have managed to NOT hear either The Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills or The Trooper, IDK where you've been hiding :p

Breaker

~AKUMA~
My favorites:

Disturbed. All the albums.
Device. amazing project by David Draiman
Avenged Sevenfold. All the albums.
Parkway Drive. Deep Blue and Atlas are their best albums.
Bring Me The Horizon. Sempiternal album.
Testiment. They are plain badass!
Combichrist. Industrial heaven.
KMFDM. Kabal music.
In Flames. All albums.
Bloodstained group. Trance Metal from Japan, pretty awesome stuff.

Rome

Noob
Heaven Shall Burn 4 the win !! <3 ...and many other bands. Rammstein, Caliban, Arch Enemy, The Agonist. Best bands to start and to die with \m/ ( and some Hardcore Bands, like Walls of Jericho of course )

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I can't say I'm a metal-head, as I listen to a bunch of different stuff. But I'll post some of the stuff I listen to.

In Flames:

Killswitch Engage:

Dragonforce: (Not sure if metal, but awesome none the less)