What's new

Question - Takeda How Much would it Hurt Takeda

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I have been playing alot of the beta lately, and have been running across TONS of Takedas. Mostly Ronin and Shirai Ryu. I went from not knowing the match-up to feeling comfortable in it with Reptile at least. I have learned all of the holes on when I can armor and when I can not.

My Number 1 complaint about this character is when he whiffs and the lack of recovery frames on certain moves.

So my question is if they added more recovery frames to some of his specials like the Air Spin for example, would it "kill" the character?

It is safe on block, I have no problem with that but why is it also safe on whiff also? A character with the longest ranged normals in the game that are also safe due to canceling into close Kunai, has a meterless option to get in for free? (While reptile has the same move and it is certain death on whiff, but safe on block)

Moves that I think need more recovery frames:

Shirai Ryu Teleport - just a few maybe 5 recovery frames added.
Universal Air Spin - around 10 recovery frames added.

Please discuss. (Not Crying for nerfs, just trying to have a legit conversation about this topic)

A Perfect example of what I am talking about. Skip to 1:20:40

Bonus Ronin Combo to lighten the mood.

Last edited:

Tampa_Jacob

RM_Tampa Jacob
I think you're just free is all. On a serious note though, I agree that it should be punishable on wiff but I think it should be punishable on block as well. If they want ex to be safe then that's absolutely fine but he already has the longest normals so why does he need the universal ball to be safe?

Theres just nothing broke that needs to be fixed. And its not like he has a bunch 7-3 match ups or anything. so the question is what does have that truly warrents being nerfed?

Tampa_Jacob

RM_Tampa Jacob
Theres just nothing broke that needs to be fixed. And its not like he has a bunch 7-3 match ups or anything. so the question is what does have that truly warrents being nerfed?
Good normals, safe kunai, and great damage. Why does he need a meterless safe way to get in even if he wiffs

I have been playing alot of the beta lately, and have been running across TONS of Takedas. Mostly Ronin and Shirai Ryu. I went from not knowing the match-up to feeling comfortable in it with Reptile at least. I have learned all of the holes on when I can armor and when I can not.

My Number 1 complaint about this character is when he whiffs and the lack of recovery frames on certain moves.

So my question is if they added more recovery frames to some of his specials like the Air Spin for example, would it "kill" the character?

It is safe on block, I have no problem with that but why is it also safe on whiff also? A character with the longest ranged normals in the game that are also safe due to canceling into close Kunai, has a meterless option to get in for free? (While reptile has the same move and it is certain death on whiff, but safe on block)

Moves that I think need more recovery frames:

Shirai Ryu Teleport
Universal Air Spin

Please discuss. (Not Crying for nerfs, just trying to have a legit conversation about this topic)

Bonus Ronin Combo to lighten the mood.
air spin is one of the moves which is better with lag ( but it could be that they buffed the move in the beta 2. hard to tell). in your screen it will look like you just block the move and takeda is in the air doing a nj1 or jumping back right after it lol. the recover of the move doesn't look that fast offline in reg mkx take it to the practice room and try it yourself.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
air spin is one of the moves which is better with lag ( but it could be that they buffed the move in the beta 2. hard to tell). in your screen it will look like you just block the move and takeda is in the air doing a nj1 or jumping back right after it lol. the recover of the move doesn't look that fast offline in reg mkx take it to the practice room and try it yourself.
I get what you are saying, if I have no meter I usually just backdash it with reptile and I can't punish it with F21, he always recovers in time or armors me. I probably should of used an example instead of just asking.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The hard to blockable could go, but it's easily dealt with in most occasions and simply turns into one big mixup.

Wigy

There it is...
The ball is a really slow move, he's -6 after which means he has to respect your followup, as well as on whiff. Just use a mid on him after whiffing/blocking and he has to block it.

That teleport should be getting punished all day.

If someone is abusing air ball on you all day, you need to change your gameplan

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
The ball is a really slow move, he's -6 after which means he has to respect your followup, as well as on whiff. Just use a mid on him after whiffing/blocking and he has to block it.

That teleport should be getting punished all day.

If someone is abusing air ball on you all day, you need to change your gameplan
when you are -6 you do not have to block anything, you can still back dash or armor anything.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
The ball is pretty easy to react to with armor, normally its easily scouted as well.

As reptile, u have access to ex slide. If he keeps whiffing it, use it. Use a meter to punish a whiff tho? Yes, until they get the idea you understand how to punish it.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
The ball is pretty easy to react to with armor, normally its easily scouted as well.

As reptile, u have access to ex slide. If he keeps whiffing it, use it. Use a meter to punish a whiff tho? Yes, until they get the idea you understand how to punish it.
I can test EX Slide to punish it, but I do not think it is a punish all of the time, depending on where they end up. But then again that is only reptile than can do that. Characters like Goro have 0 options and have to completely deal with it and can do nothing about it.

Wigy

There it is...
when you are -6 you do not have to block anything, you can still back dash or armor anything.
Aside from ronin, you shouldnt be worried about his armour. His backdash has horrrrible recovery.

His options after are pretty limited. If you have a decent mid (which reptile does) he has to basically hold dat.

Its maybe not what you want from a blocked whiffed move but takeda walkspeed is sloow and the airball is to makeup for that i would imagine. The airball is super reactable and doesnt trade in the air.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Aside from ronin, you shouldnt be worried about his armour. His backdash has horrrrible recovery.

His options after are pretty limited. If you have a decent mid (which reptile does) he has to basically hold dat.

Its maybe not what you want from a blocked whiffed move but takeda walkspeed is sloow and the airball is to makeup for that i would imagine. The airball is super reactable and doesnt trade in the air.
No next to a console to test this but I am pretty sure Takeda can backdash my F41, which is my best mid, So it becomes a mind game. But this is only block not whiff.

I am only talking on whiff, when he is a good distance away.

Last edited:

Buiu

Woot
wheni fight a slasher takeda and i see a wiffed roll IN FRONT of me, i just try punish the jump back AFTER the roll on read, i dont even try hit him on the ground

Tweedy

Noob
You can run under Takeda when he does the jump kick hard to blockable. Of course after that he can just do pressure, but I mean, he is spending a bar for that mix up I suppose.

The tornado kick or whatever being like neutral on whiff is super annoying, yeah.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
I can test EX Slide to punish it, but I do not think it is a punish all of the time, depending on where they end up. But then again that is only reptile than can do that. Characters like Goro have 0 options and have to completely deal with it and can do nothing about it.

Well vs Goro, if Goro has takeda cornered there is a literal NOTHING takeda can do to get out. That goes for poking, jumping, armoring, grabbing, backdashing. I need a interactable behind me to get out.

Takeda doesn't want to be "in" in that match up lol