What's new

General/Other - Goro Goro General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Thats goros downside he is fucking great once he gets in, with an 8 frame command grab, good armored specials, good pokes, plus strings. But his slow movement you cant really compensate for, in tigrar at least you have decent zoning against alot of the cast, so thats good, and you can use reg or exx stomp to get in, and if they backdash use far low fireball.
Playing neutral with him just feels like vanilla SF or RT. Too slow to really do anything. Especially when everyone moves way faster than I do. If NRS patches again I just want a movement speed buff. Then then balance Goro with that after.

Espio

Kokomo
I need neutral tips. I know his good buttons like f3, 11, his down pokes. But overall I feel really hindered by his slow movement. I played against cassie and her being quicker and have good pokes just makes neutral so . . . . Unsure. How do you compensate for his suck speed. I'm playing Tigrar Fury btw.
Cassie is one of the easiest characters for Goro to play neutral against honestly. Also, I didn't realize I was doing this before, but you can use Goro's walk speed to move around the map pretty quick if you know how to tap, walk back, tap the back button he can move around like the wave dashing REO mentioned. I think the ability for him to move around is overstated actually. I have a pretty easy time checking Cassie's back 1 with forward 3, down 4 etc due to the controlled movement.

He could use normalized movement, but like I tested in a video I made, his forward walk speed takes him about the same time to reach the opponent as say Kitana's forward walk speed and his forward dash is fine too.

His run is meh and while his movement isn't the greatest, the issue is highly exaggerated. This is like the cannot anti-air thing to me.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Cassie is one of the easiest characters for Goro to play neutral against honestly. Also, I didn't realize I was doing this before, but you can use Goro's walk speed to move around the map pretty quick if you know how to tap, walk back, tap the back button he can move around like the wave dashing REO mentioned. I think the ability for him to move around is overstated actually. I have a pretty easy time checking Cassie's back 1 with forward 3, down 4 etc due to the controlled movement.

He could use normalized movement, but like I tested in a video I made, his forward walk speed takes him about the same time to reach the opponent as say Kitana's forward walk speed and his forward dash is fine too.

His run is meh and while his movement isn't the greatest, the issue is highly exaggerated. This is like the cannot anti-air thing to me.
I've thought about the tap walking thing to take advantage of good first steps. But I'm playing online so trying to do a complicated form of walking while playing is kind of out there for me lol.

As for checking characters, that's good but I feel like I'm gimped in that I'm waiting on their movements trying to control them. Playing this game seems like you have to take control and dominate and it's like sometimes I can't do that at a certain range with Goro. Like sometimes Goro is too slow to play with everyone else. I'm sure part of is picking up the character but I hope I expressed myself properly so you could understand my point.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
Tap walking isn't complicated, even online lel.

Just gotta remember to hold for extra distance. Although if someone can master the wavedashing that'd be actually faster.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Tap walking isn't complicated, even online lel.

Just gotta remember to hold for extra distance. Although if someone can master the wavedashing that'd be actually faster.
I meant complicated compared to everyone else just walking. Instead of just using walk you're trying to to keep the animation down to just the fast part while still managing everything else.

Mortal Komhat

SO!

Remember the Kuatan chest lunge trade stun?

Anything that interrupts punchwalk grants that same status apparently.

Special Forces Sonya's little tracking fireball? interrupts PW but she can't do shit after.

Last edited:

Mortal Komhat

Exactly it. Found this out in the round robin we had yesterday, and yeah - If the opponent is getting hit by PW, and SOMETHING happens to hit Goro while this is happening, they'll be stunned for a long ass time.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Ok. Now I remember seeing something like that in a goro match. Good to know you can get a combo out of a trade

dark55

Noob
Im pretty sure everyone who plays goro knows this but just incase you don't i shall fill you in....lets say you hit someone with a 21,Meterburn db2, njp, b12up2, 21 if you finish the combo off with a command grab you get 40%. If you let them drop after 21 you can go right into a stomp for an otg . so the combo would then hurt 44%. bc if you drop them after the 21 in the combo is 34% and the stomp hurts 10%. Down side its not guaranteed. They can tech roll this otg setup. Also they could tech roll wake up and depending on what the wake up is can get out of a guess completely ( example reptile or sub wake up tech roll slide). But this game is all about guessing anyway and no one tech rolls bc they know that is risky as ferk so you will catch people with the otg on the regular. oh btw this is dragon fangs only. Obviously you could just play kuatan warrior and get guaranteed otg's but just something to add to your goro gameplay!

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
My philosophy is in case of bad MUs like that, where you are just fundamentally at a disadvantage, just pick a different character lol.

@EMPEROR_KNICKS Does Tigrar Fury projectiles or KW's ground pound help?
Kuatan no, but tigrar you can get the trade sometimes, especially if you have a significant health lead as your projectile does alot, now i still stick with goro as normally i dont do bad against kano players as i play kano to so i usually know what they are gonna do, but it is a fucking wrecked matchup.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Kuatan no, but tigrar you can get the trade sometimes, especially if you have a significant health lead as your projectile does alot, now i still stick with goro as normally i dont do bad against kano players as i play kano to so i usually know what they are gonna do, but it is a fucking wrecked matchup.
I mainly picked up Goro cause of good a defensive play can be with him. Safe 2 hits of armor move is crazy good no matter what lol. Right now my only character I use for pressure MUs is Cassie (Out of her, Kotal and Raiden), and I just try to apply more pressure than my opponent. But if my opponent has a good keepaway game I'm just like "Why bother?"

Mortal Komhat

If he chucks knives all day, he might be trouble. I need to play it.

Fortunately I've someone here I can play it with.

While I admit I dropped Goro, I was in the lab with him and discovered that EX punch walk can recapture just like in KI. It makes converting with it incredibly consistent.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Im pretty sure everyone who plays goro knows this but just incase you don't i shall fill you in....lets say you hit someone with a 21,Meterburn db2, njp, b12up2, 21 if you finish the combo off with a command grab you get 40%. If you let them drop after 21 you can go right into a stomp for an otg . so the combo would then hurt 44%. bc if you drop them after the 21 in the combo is 34% and the stomp hurts 10%. Down side its not guaranteed. They can tech roll this otg setup. Also they could tech roll wake up and depending on what the wake up is can get out of a guess completely ( example reptile or sub wake up tech roll slide). But this game is all about guessing anyway and no one tech rolls bc they know that is risky as ferk so you will catch people with the otg on the regular. oh btw this is dragon fangs only. Obviously you could just play kuatan warrior and get guaranteed otg's but just something to add to your goro gameplay!

Yeah, ending things with stomp for that PHAT unscaled damage has been a thing for a while, but it's good that you're experimenting with things to try and find tech.

I often will end mid screen combos with stomp for shits and giggles if I know my opponent loves to roll, and then move my stomp accordingly.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Man, I've started relying more on U1/U2 lately and i'm realizing just how good a tool it is as a close range AA.

Also again it's a pretty reliable 35% or more combo in the corner if you just mash it correctly and cancel it into shokan grab. I rarely do it though because it doesn't look as cool his regular combos.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I have thought something regarding the KW Goro vs KJ Tanya. Since i cannot test it atm, could someone test it for me, for the sake of the Goro bruddahs?

When Tanya is pressuring with the rekka gimmicks, try and interrupt her second or third delayed rekka with chest lunge. We all know what happens if chest lunge trades with anything on the ground. Free full jump in combo. IF it works, this will be game changing for the particular MU and vastly in Goro's favor.

@Espio
@Mortal Komhat
@Decay
@all Goro players

Seriously. Do people know what I mean?? There's a difference between MB Punchwalk and EX Punchwalk. Example:

F214~EX Punchwalk, 4~Shokan Grab

Is a possible combo, whereas

F214~Punchwalk MB, 4~Shokan Grab

Is not. The grab whiffs because cancelling into straight EX Punchwalk "restands" them before putting them back into juggle state.

It's super interesting. You can guarantee two almost full stage long "grounded" Punchwalks in a combo. Third may be possible on larger characters. The difference makes some combos possible/impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.