What's new

Getting Destiny? Join the TYM Destiny group!

E

Eldriken

Yeah you do need pvp marks. But you can only get 100 marks a week. So at most you only need to do 50 matches to hit that cap. But there are other ways to get marks like turning in collectables like spinmetal or spirit bloom, and since doing patrols can be faster to gain rep, you won't need to do much pvp at all.
Ah, so if you wear one of their items, it will give you Crucible marks instead of Vanguard?

cyke_out

Noob
Ah, so if you wear one of their items, it will give you Crucible marks instead of Vanguard?
No, you just gain faction rep, for that faction, instead of the normal vanguard rep you would usually receive if you weren't wearing a faction specific item. You will need pvp marks and it's faster getting then through pvp, but gaining rep is faster doing pve like strikes and patrols and while you do patrols, collect those items to turn in for pvp marks to kill two fallen with one stone.

E

Eldriken

No, you just gain faction rep, for that faction, instead of the normal vanguard rep you would usually receive if you weren't wearing a faction specific item. You will need pvp marks and it's faster getting then through pvp, but gaining rep is faster doing pve like strikes and patrols and while you do patrols, collect those items to turn in for pvp marks to kill two fallen with one stone.
I meant rep, not marks. Sorry, lol.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
I bought this game thinking the level up. classes and , rpg elements would be like mass effect, the combat would be like fighting hordes in gears of war all in the first person perspective.

It doesn't feel like any of that. I don't like this always online thing that allows random dudes stealing my kills in story mode. lol

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Man these Bungie Destiny boards are a trainwreck. Anyone know of a supplement Destiny community site (like a wiki or clan or whatever) where the community isn't this rabid?

E

Eldriken

I bought this game thinking the level up. classes and , rpg elements would be like mass effect, the combat would be like fighting hordes in gears of war all in the first person perspective.

It doesn't feel like any of that. I don't like this always online thing that allows random dudes stealing my kills in story mode. lol
If they kill a mob near you, you get credit for it. They don't even have to be on your Fireteam.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Just got to level 20 today and beat the main story. Final battle is pretty intense and quite a test of dexterity. That said, I don't know if I am going to bother playing beyond this point as I am starting to agree with what a lot of people are saying. The game is becoming extremely repetitive. Not even the thought of starting over with new characters in different classes appeals to me that much. I'll give it another week to be sure, but I think I will drop the game once GTAV hits on November 18th.

Gamespot finally posted their review and they pretty much said exactly how I feel about the game.
I think it comes down to managing expectations. I'm not sure what people expected. It's a loot based RPG, find me one that isn't full of grinding. Borderlands was full of grinding. The story is meh, but I thought Halo was pretty blah as well. And save for Half life and maybe one or two other FPS's most FPS stories are blah.

I think Destiny shines (much like borderlands did) in playing with friends. I could totally understand people getting bored playing by themselves, but the game is a ton of fun when playing with friends. Also I think Bungie did a good job in catering to different player types. For those who don't want to grind, you can just play PvP, it's literally Halo, the map design is great and the combat is fun. But again if you are not playing with a friend or friends in PvP, you're going to get steamrolled by people who are since teamwork is so important.

TLDR; Game's great if you're playing with friends.

cyke_out

Noob
It's an fps mmo, the only rpg elements are leveling and loot grinding. If you are looking for some kind of story driven sci fi epic, play mass effect.

I am enjoying this game cuz it's exactly what I expected it to be after the beta. Play with friends, enjoy pvp, gear up for raids... No game is for everyone, if you dont enjoy looting mmo's or games like diablo then you won't enjoy this.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
lol, it was fast, do bountys and shit as well, probably wasn't 2.5 but i know he didn't play for a super long time,

@NRF CharlieMurphy

How long did you play wed to go from 5 to the level you were at,

I'm loving the game today, actually have a day off to spend some time with it, it's pretty fuckin fun
I played Wednesday and Thursday for about 2 hours a piece. Only doing Crucible stuff. I went from 5 to 17.

And the patch notes said they "SLOWED" the level up process. hah.

How dope are the public events? That shit made my body go into overdrive.

mfkaoz

Banned
I agree this game was definitely bot made to be played alone. I did about half the story with friends and half alone and the change in amount of fun I had was drastic. As far as grinding i dont mind it, i just wish the reward was more frequent. You spend half an hour doing a strike killing hella bullet sponges to maybe get one or two rare items whereas in borderlands you find loot literally everywhere. That's my main gripe with this game. The gameplay is amazing I have a lot of fun but its super repetitive and hardly rewarding.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I've been solo since getting the game. I'm looking to trophy boost the fire team and strike trophies now. Any takers?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Public Events are awesome.
PvP is awesome. The separate grind for it is superb.
Strikes are SUPER awesome and intense. You need teamwork
I'm fully expecting the raids to be EVEN MORE AWESOME than strikes.
Patrolling is stupid..... but then a Public event happens and i dont' care.

The game was NEVER meant to be played alone. I dont' even do single player missions by myself unless i'm going back to get a bounty or just trying to try my hand at a level modifier.
@Jimmypotato is my partner in crime right now. We have tons of fun in the PvE because we just do. When we mind read each other and just automatically flank off on each side of a horde...... or keep a Walker off balance.... it is fun.

I know the single player story is kinda.... vague. I personally think this is on purpose. I expect the raids, as well as the Expansions to further it more.
I personally don't think a game like this is a PvE type grind in the single player aspect. You'll enjoy the game more if you play it how it was built. With 3 people, all a different class in a fire team.

if you play alone you'll get bored. teh PvP is about the only thing meant to be played alone.... and that really is debatable.
The people who call it average are the ones who just played by themselves... with no one else.

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
I agree this game was definitely bot made to be played alone. I did about half the story with friends and half alone and the change in amount of fun I had was drastic. As far as grinding i dont mind it, i just wish the reward was more frequent. You spend half an hour doing a strike killing hella bullet sponges to maybe get one or two rare items whereas in borderlands you find loot literally everywhere. That's my main gripe with this game. The gameplay is amazing I have a lot of fun but its super repetitive and hardly rewarding.
By the time rampage & I finished the grinding we started I had about 10 blue drops & a bunch of greens. One of the blues gave me a legendary and ramp got 2 legend stirs during the grinding. So we picked up stuff at about the rate the guy said. It just sucks actually grinding cause it takes forever lol.