What's new

Full MKX Hands-on Notes & Impressions by The Kombat Tether

running can be canceled into a dash... I hope you can also cancel into a backdash, so you can bait a dash punish from the opponent and avoid their attack with a backdash and punish them as they whiff a move.

Crathen

Death is my business
BOOOOOOO

I also hope they don't have any +1 and unreactable overhead/low combo starters like in Injustice because such a core mechanic would automatically make mixup characters the best. I have nothing against mixups but they are better when you can humanly react to them, because then players need to condition people in order to open them up.

Not to mention MB Throw completely nullifies the wake up game and could make characters/variations with strong okizeme or wake up/escape options less relevant.

I hope I'm overacting and MB Throw doesn't have too big of an impact...
We still don't know how much real advantage they will grant , if the advantage still allows the opponent to backdash there's an option.

Here's hoping throws aren't 50/50 to break.

If anything i think they'll tone down the reward on most characters that have both OH and a Low option either by it not launching or just having big scaling on them.

Imagine anyone with a command grab / OH / low option MB throw you and you have to guess on another 3 way mixup lol

running can be canceled into a dash... I hope you can also cancel into a backdash, so you can bait a dash punish from the opponent and avoid their attack with a backdash and punish them as they whiff a move.
I'm sure this will be a big part of the mind games. But I see it mostly used in oki situations. Run xx backdash to bait and punish wake up attacks. And keep running to chase backdash or corner carry.

Speaking of which, I'm wondering what will be the average knockdown duration. Some knockdowns should be long enough to allow characters with poor high/lows to at least setup something like a meaty attack or projectile. But if some knockdowns are too long, what's stopping someone from just running you all the way to the corner? lol

Last edited:
I'm sure this will be a big part of the mind games. But I see it mostly used in oki situations. Run xx backdash to bait and punish wake up attacks. And keep running to chase backdash or corner carry.

Speaking of which, I'm a bit worried about what will be the average knockdown duration. Some knockdowns should be long enough to allow characters with poor high/lows to at least setup something like a meaty attack or projectile. But if some knockdowns are too long, what's stopping someone from just running you all the way to the corner? lol
Wakeup attacks only have full invincibilty with meter, this alone would already make the 50/50 game stronger. I really hope the game is still about pressure and not 50/50's. MB throws granting you a free 50/50 seems a bit too much but well see

Crathen

Death is my business
Also someone hit up TKT and ask them if the wakeups were not invincible unless meterburned , if yes the knockdown pressure will be huge.

Also i'd like to know how's the chip damage and if any move used stamina bars.

Also someone hit up TKT and ask them if the wakeups were not invincible unless meterburned , if yes the knockdown pressure will be huge.

Also i'd like to know how's the chip damage and if any move used stamina bars.
That's what I read, don't know if it's true and it could still be changed in the final game. Also this shouldn't affect offline gameplay but if online netcode isn't a big improvement from mk9, online will become horrible to deal with. There is no way you will be teching grabs consistently online, people will be grabbing each other fro free 50/50's all day.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
X-rays aren't for us. They aren't for people who know other, better ways to spend the meter. X-rays are for the casual players to push two buttons For an easy awesome liking cinematic. X-rays may have thier uses at high level play but it's rare and not the norm.
Not all the time, sometimes folks here use them as combo or match enders. Look At sonicefox, he beat someone doing xrays a few times during evo.

Not saying we use them alot bu t some do use them from time to time.

@trufenix I agree i dont see mb or ex combos necessary. We have ex throws now, xrays again, ex specials again etc. I think thats enough personally.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
We still don't know how much real advantage they will grant , if the advantage still allows the opponent to backdash there's an option.

Here's hoping throws aren't 50/50 to break.

If anything i think they'll tone down the reward on most characters that have both OH and a Low option either by it not launching or just having big scaling on them.

Imagine anyone with a command grab / OH / low option MB throw you and you have to guess on another 3 way mixup lol
So the 50/50 evolves into a 75/25........yea I'm not feeling that.

cyke_out

Noob
Mb throws and strings all sound awesome. Just because all characters can leave the opponent standing at disadvantage after a mb throw, doesn't mean every character is going to have the tools to threaten with a 50/50. Some might use that disadvantage to keep up the pressure and set up frame traps. Some grapplers might try to go into command grabs. Some characters might not ever want to mb a throw and would rather toss the opponent away or on the group to set up oki or get distance to zone. It's just another tool that can be used differently depending on the character.

And mb strings are just another way to further distinguish certain styles or characters that focus on close up melee attacks, this is assuming it's not universal to all variations. But even if you can mb the same string in any variation, it doesn't mean all variations would want to or get the same benefit. Again, it's another tool to give played more options, which is always a good thing as long as the options are balanced.

MKF30

I just hope the EX or MB throws don't have everyone having some kind of reset because than everyone's just going to use meter for that and the game will get dull but I doubt this will happen with NRS patches, updates etc.

I really don't feel they need enhanced or meter burned combos, I mean we have EX special moves, regular strings we can create our own combos, ex/mb throws now, xrays returning I just don't think ex combos are necessary honestly but whatever. I know not everyone will agree but I'd rather have a meter burn UPPERCUT option with armor over a MB combo option personally.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I just hope the EX or MB throws don't have everyone having some kind of reset because than everyone's just going to use meter for that and the game will get dull but I doubt this will happen with NRS patches, updates etc.

I really don't feel they need enhanced or meter burned combos, I mean we have EX special moves, regular strings we can create our own combos, ex/mb throws now, xrays returning I just don't think ex combos are necessary honestly but whatever. I know not everyone will agree but I'd rather have a meter burn UPPERCUT option with armor over a MB combo option personally.
Which is why it's their game and not yours.

MKF30

Which is why it's their game and not yours.
Well, obviously it's nobody's here. I own every MK game even the lesser popular ones. Whatever they do I support, just posting my opinion like everyone else. The reset thing though should that happen is just common sense.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Well, obviously it's nobody's here. I own every MK game even the lesser popular ones. Whatever they do I support, just posting my opinion like everyone else. The reset thing though should that happen is just common sense.
And I'm sure they have those things in mind.

trufenix

bye felicia
Not all the time, sometimes folks here use them as combo or match enders. Look At sonicefox, he beat someone doing xrays a few times during evo.

Not saying we use them alot bu t some do use them from time to time.

@trufenix I agree i dont see mb or ex combos necessary. We have ex throws now, xrays again, ex specials again etc. I think thats enough personally.
Don't get me wrong, I feel more uses for meter is good. I'd honestly like mb / ex type options for every single thing in the game. I just feel like with all the effort that's going into the x-rays (and how brutal they are) its a shame they're never going to get seen in real matches. I'm not saying I have it, but there's gotta be an answer to this. Make the damage retarded, make it unscale like Marvel lv3s, make them auto happen a full meter like oldschool ds, I dunno.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
MB throws seem fine to me so far. They cost a bar to do, doesnt guarantee a reset anyway just a set up, forces you to sacrifice guaranteed damage, and the throws mid combo can still be teched. At least its something everyone will have rather than a select few.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I always thought of Xrays more for the casual crowd honestly.

The actual fighting game players know the importance of breakers and Ex moves to make larger damage combos. The really casual audience doesn't use their meter for anything except Xrays.

Just fight some casual player online in Mk9 or Injustice and see for yourself. I think it works out awesome that NRS are working to make the game cool on all levels of play.

I always thought of Xrays more for the casual crowd honestly.

The actual fighting game players know the importance of breakers and Ex moves to make larger damage combos. The really casual audience doesn't use their meter for anything except Xrays.

Just fight some casual player online in Mk9 or Injustice and see for yourself. I think it works out awesome that NRS are working to make the game cool on all levels of play.
Well personally I think if players feel that breakers and MB throws are far more important/valuable than MB moves/strings then that means your MB moves/strings aren't good enough to justify meter usage. And that to me means they aren't well designed or balanced. e.g. it could mean MB throws should cost 2 meters or 1 block of stamina as well.

Similarly I think X-rays are "just for the casual crowd" because they are purposely designed to be a "waste of resources" with only character specific/situational end game utility. Which is fine by me. I don't want to always see an X-ray every round. And I don't want them to be so good to the point where it's the best way you can win or pull a comeback. But I also don't think there's anything wrong with making X-rays great and actually worth 3 bars of meter.

I love resource management and as a player, when I'm sitting on 3 stocks, I don't want to automatically think: "Ok so I have enough for a breaker and one MB throw or 3x MB throws." I want my character's MB moves, MB strings and X-ray to be relevant options I have to consider.

tl;dr Tom Brady specials are hype!

MKF30

MK 9 didn't have throws mid combo, MK vs. DCU did however. Interesting how MK X brought them back.

Don't get me wrong, I feel more uses for meter is good. I'd honestly like mb / ex type options for every single thing in the game. I just feel like with all the effort that's going into the x-rays (and how brutal they are) its a shame they're never going to get seen in real matches. I'm not saying I have it, but there's gotta be an answer to this. Make the damage retarded, make it unscale like Marvel lv3s, make them auto happen a full meter like oldschool ds, I dunno.
Yeah, I'm all for more options all for that. I just happen to feel having "everything" meterburned or exed isn't necessary when the game is already super deep(I feel the same way about that push block thread) They could even add that but in MK's case just not necessary know what I mean? Yeah, I think do think we'll see some Xrays here and there. Probably not often cause of smart use of the meter game, granted but I think we'll see them here and there just not often. Using them is risky since it'll drain your entire meter so I think that's another or the main reason why we don't see them used more, that and sometimes ex specials in combos actually do more damage. I wonder if MK X will be the same with damage output or if it'll be different from MK 9. NRS did say MK X isn't just MK 9 part II, it's entirely different game with some things returning (Xray's being one of them) but already this game has different gameplay, no more dash cancelling, we have to run now to do it which I bet will take getting used to you know? Having to double tap Forward and block, that's going to be interesting after playing MK 9 for so long lol. I think they make it scale in combos so that they're not broken but personally I'm for the same damage output even in combos so I agree, especially if we're using it in combos or randomly naked Xrays either way it drains our meter lol so it shouldn't be scaled.

Just make sure there's no resets of mb throws, but don't scale the damage output on xrays IMO.

trufenix

bye felicia
MK 9 didn't have throws mid combo, MK vs. DCU did however. Interesting how MK X brought them back.
I don't think the comboable throws in combos are the standing resetable ones, those are just moves like Kung Lao's what was it, 1,4,2+4 and such. I think only the neutral throws can be turned into resets. And honestly, that's fine imo. If they're breakable, and they're non comboable you're basically just giving everybody the opportunity to be an MKDe character.