What's new

FGC Vs MLG: Ball is in play

SEV

Noob
Aside from the possibility of bigger pots, MLG isn't anything to necessarily aspire toward in my opinion. They run it like a business, which is understandable, but they really don't care about the FGC, or any community, only profits.

I never attended any events for MK when it was on the circuit, but I attended every event for Gears of War 2 in the 2009 circuit. As the circuit progressed it became painfully obvious how little they care about games if they aren't their top money makers, which will never be the case for the NRS community. Meadowlands started well but by the end at Orlando, the national championship, our main stage looked like it was set up on a budget last minute, with only two small benches for spectators; they dropped the game in the next circuit.

Then as Halo was dying, MLG was saying that they would never drop the game completely as it was the game in that MLG started with, and would at least continue to hold 16 team invitationals if worse came to worse, but they dropped it anyways despite the game still having a quite a large following.

And also for as much as the NRS community has been complaining recently about how they are treated by certain tournaments, MLG was pretty bad as well, at least in my experience. Back to the point I made about them not providing enough seating, they wouldn't allow anyone to sit on the ground because we became "fire hazards," and they wouldn't even allow anyone to put anything on the station tables toward the end, as if our phones were a hazard to the set ups. Then at my first event, before my match to make it into top 16, after having to play a bunch straight through losers back to back, I needed to use the restroom and even though their rules stated you are allowed ten minutes in between matches I was told that if I left the station we would forfeit the first match.

As far as the article goes, in my opinion, it just seems like an attempt to put pressure on Capcom by trying to make its more prominent players want the prize money that MLG can afford, so that MLG can tap into another profitable revenue stream in the "esports" community that they currently aren't involved with, and continue on their path to try to monopolize the industry. MLG may have started out for the players and the love of competitive gaming in general, but now its over commercialized, and all they care about are the profits and won't allow games onto their circuit unless they get additional financial support for the companies that make the game regardless of player interest, while continuing to increase prices in all aspects despite the extra funding they get from developers and other companies.

I was told Gears was dropped because Epic Games wouldn't give financial support, and the only reason why CoD was initially picked up was because Sony put up all the prize money for the entire first circuit which is why it was PS3 instead of 360 and now their current developers give a lot of financial support, meanwhile MLG continues to pocket everyone elses' money. If there was a disagreement between Capcom and MLG, I would guess that it would be because Capcom wasn't willing or able to give the money to MLG that they wanted. Recently Capcom lost the Marvel license because they couldn't afford it, so I think monetary disagreements is a logical guess.

Last edited:

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
Personally I have plan privately to take FGC to next level w a couple people Reno and others

I truly know what it'll take to truly change anything

Expect a shot at this endeavor within a year or two
Anything you guys or anyone else does to that end I will support in any way I can. The fgc needs a step forward. We have incredible games and a lot of hype. It's time to grow. Also as great as mlg is I wonder if capcom did ink that deal if a smaller community like ours would be left out in the cold. I hope not.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I think we need our top players to speak up if we want a big shot like this. Ya know, like a petition with tags (who the fuck knows most of our real names?) or something. Nobody's gonna give a fuck about what HellblazerHawkman says about the NRS community's position, but REO or somebody? Carries weight, and I'm not saying make one guy our spokesperson either, that's dumb and will kill the community