What's new

FGC Vs MLG: Ball is in play

GRieVeR_SKeiTH

bad player
I attended MLG Raleigh and Dallas and had a great time playing MK and TTT2

What I never got was how come SRK thought MLG was this corrupt entity, but then IPL rolled around and it was like "Yeah bro this is a great idea"

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
The SRK dudes and the capcom community is just messed up. Ive been asking people for the longest time why them and capcome have beef. Nobody can give me an answer. So many people just give random hate towards MLG for no reason i feel. Why do people reject MLG. They can be such a big influence on our competitive scene. For anybodys scene really. Capcom is stupid for letting MLG slide like that.

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
I don't see a problem as long as MLG isn't looking to make unwanted "MAJOR" changes to the way things are. Like the article said winners of these tournaments want bigger payouts I'm sure. And MLG could help with that. 1st place could make more than $1000 if MLG was allowed in. But then again i can see why some of the FGC wouldn't want their scene to become to mainstream because if we don't represent ourselves the right way then everyone starts stereotyping and thats not good for anyone.

The SRK dudes and the capcom community is just messed up. Ive been asking people for the longest time why them and capcome have beef. Nobody can give me an answer. So many people just give random hate towards MLG for no reason i feel. Why do people reject MLG. They can be such a big influence on our competitive scene. For anybodys scene really. Capcom is stupid for letting MLG slide like that.
Well we can put this on the blackboard list for all of the recent bad business decisions on Capcom's behalf. However I've been saying this stuff for quite some time. The capcom community seems to dictate a bit too much it would seem. Like their the FGC's brain trust or something to a similar effect. However MLG has been a respectable platform for quite some time.

I think the problem is with Capcom licensing and the mentality of the FGC. Everytime an 'MLG' has reached out to our community, they have never received the full backing and support that they deserve.

MLG was huge for the MK community because our community did a really good job of embracing it.

The KOF community never really supported MLG like they should have. When MLG was in Anaheim, CA KOF should've thrown up big numbers because of the fact that the event itself was local to CA and they had a huge scene for the game at the time.

I think part of the issue is with MLG advertising not reaching the FGC (via SRK/EventHubs).

If Capcom was willing to work with one of these league oriented esports events I believe we would see a huge shift in mentality because the greater population of the FGC consists of SF4 + MvC3 players.

Speaking from experience (Mortal Kombat), once the Capcom community and the greater FGC as a whole is included in one of these events, there will be a huge mentality shift because esports events really are much better events.

When this happens, I think as a result, our grassroots majors will be held to a higher standard because expectations will increase significantly.

If there was any tournament organizer that were to be the person that could build a bridge between the FGC and eSports community, I think that person is Jebailey.

MLG is for so many reasons. The Cannons wrote the article to protect their tournament that happens once a year. Yet they don't put huge payouts into the games they hold and MLG puts huge payouts to every game they put out.
When MK9 Was at MLG how much were the payouts? I don't actually recall but I wanted to say like 16000 bucks?

Didn't all of top 8 get at least 1 grand?

MLG is for so many reasons. The Cannons wrote the article to protect their tournament that happens once a year. Yet they don't put huge payouts into the games they hold and MLG puts huge payouts to every game they put out.
More people need to wake up to the fact that Evo is a business and they don't want to lose control of this scene.

When MK9 Was at MLG how much were the payouts? I don't actually recall but I wanted to say like 16000 bucks?

Didn't all of top 8 get at least 1 grand?
I think 1st place got around $16,000. I want to say the total prize pot for the entire top 8 was around $32k.

In addition to the payout, all of top 8 was flown out to New York for the MLG Fighter arena with additional prize payouts.

Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur V were included in these events because those two scenes supported MLG well.

PTG Slayer

Behold! The GOD of War!
Who is the spokes person for the FGC? Wtf gets to make those calls? Saying no to MLG is one of the most idiotic things I've ever witnessed. . . .

Frantastic23

Best 3rd Strike Player on TYM.
I think 1st place got around $16,000. I want to say the total prize pot for the entire top 8 was around $32k.

In addition to the payout, all of top 8 was flown out to New York for the MLG Fighter arena with additional prize payouts.

Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur V were included in these events because those two scenes supported MLG well.
Yup I would love to see the entire community give full support if they decide to pick up fighting games again.

MLG was by far the best tournament I have been to. And this is not disrespect to any of the majors I've gone to! Ghaleon's tourneys were the shit. But MLG was on the next level. And those studio events between MLG tourneys? UUULLLLLLLLLLLLL. I am glad that I went to MK's first MLG, and would gladly attend another event in Columbus. I don't want to perpetuate the Capcom vs. Esports mentality since I don't know entirely how accurate all of that is, but I know that all of us NRS heads would love to embrace MLG should our games ever return. I just wish we would have brought bigger numbers when we still had it :(

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
If I recall, back in the Halo 3 days of MLG we were seeing minimum of $100k payouts. Now, why would you say no to a payout backing like that and the plethora of advertising the FGC would get, plus advertising of the game itself? :confused:

Who is the spokes person for the FGC? Wtf gets to make those calls? Saying no to MLG is one of the most idiotic things I've ever witnessed. . . .
There isn't one spokesperson for the FGC, but there is definitely an implied sense that the FGC is supposed to revolve around EVO (The Superbowl of the FGC).

This article was written several years ago by InkBlot/Tom Cannon who is one of the organizers of EVO:

http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/04/where-esports-leagues-go-wrong-with-fighters/

SRK and EVO are run by the same group of people. SRK is probably your best resource for reaching out to the greater Capcom audience because of the size of the community they have built.

It makes sense that SRK/EVO would want to maintain control of the FGC because there is money to be made on the tournament organizer and web-presence side of this whole thing.

MLG (and other eSports events) could be seen as a direct competitor. They have a lot of capital and are successful at what they do on the PC and FPS/console gaming for other genres of games.

I've never understood why Capcom seems so hesitant to bring their games to the eSports audience.

There isn't one spokesperson for the FGC, but there is definitely an implied sense that the FGC is supposed to revolve around EVO (The Superbowl of the FGC).

This article was written several years ago by InkBlot/Tom Cannon who is one of the organizers of EVO:

http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/04/where-esports-leagues-go-wrong-with-fighters/

SRK and EVO are run by the same group of people. SRK is probably your best resource for reaching out to the greater Capcom audience because of the size of the community they have built.

It makes sense that SRK/EVO would want to maintain control of the FGC because there is money to be made on the tournament organizer and web-presence side of this whole thing.

MLG (and other eSports events) could be seen as a direct competitor. They have a lot of capital and are successful at what they do on the PC and FPS/console gaming for other genres of games.

I've never understood why Capcom seems so hesitant to bring their games to the eSports audience.
If I had to guess. EVO numbers would drop for a lot of games if they can go to other places "East Coasters" primarily and hit up NY/OH/TX/FL for events for bigger payouts. (MUCH bigger). And as you said it being a business, a lack of entrants is a lack of money, and for the SRK/EVO boys that's a no go. But my question is, does MLG provide their own streams? If so they probably feel as though their days of "MAX CPM" will no longer be a viable option select for them.