What's new

Fans want deceased GWAR singer immortalized in MKX

Would you like to see Oderus Urungus in MKX?

• Total voters

axeman87

Noob
Not to speak ill of the dead but GWARS music is garbage imo and I wouldn't want it in MK. Yes, music is purely subjective and a lot of people love this kind of stuff, but I think its safe to say this genre is a minority group.

This is an admirable gesture however and kudos to the fans for their support.

Error

DF2+R2
Not to speak ill of the dead but GWARS music is garbage imo and I wouldn't want it in MK. Yes, music is purely subjective and a lot of people love this kind of stuff, but I think its safe to say this genre is a minority group.

This is an admirable gesture however and kudos to the fans for their support.
I guess you can say it's a dedicated minority group that enjoys this music the same way that only a dedicated minority of gamers enjoy playing fighting games competitively. I was actually never big on GWAR(the goofy costumes put me off at first), but I've been going through their discography and was surprised at how good they were at changing their sound every release.

Am I on @HomeLee1121's level for not knowing who the hell he is and for never hearing of GWAR/not even knowing what that stands for?
By the way, GWAR stands for: Gwaaarrrgghhlllgh, though for some it stands for: "God, What an Awful Racket"

I am late 80s kid and I have no idea.

Why is this entire thing though? Was he relevant to anything MK?
It was a joke, unless you follow the metal scene you're unlikely to know them.
No connection to MK besides similar aesthetic themes, hence guest character.

Last edited:

khrome

Master of The Universe
Hahahaha, just saw this, is @khrome a hypocrite?

Also, bump 16k sigs.
No I said this GWAR guy is not cool enough for me, and turns out Ed Boon shares my opinion. I like Khrome and others don't, such as Paulo, but it really doesn't matter what he thinks because he could be fired anytime like Hector.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
No. Hell no.

With all do respect to the guy, his music sucks and their band "story" is ridiculous and dumb.

Gwar is one of the worst bands I have ever heard.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I don't care what fanbase has what kick for both MK and a certain IRL person. MKX does not need to become a self insertion fanfic for whatever fanbase puts in petitions. GWAR isn't even for everyone so why force it on everyone in another fanbase? Being a metal band propped up by props, gimmicks, and themes of violence does not constitute a roster spot shoehorning them in.

I like The Protomen, but I'm not gonna try to force my fanbase into some developer's game like Binary Domain simply because of related themes of Robot Dystopia. Its the same thing. Shall we petition to get Sonicchu into the next Sonic? How about Kamen Rider becoming part of Batman's world because both wear tights and kick enemies?

Having a fandom doesn't mean EVERYTHING would be better if it adopted it into itself. I see this GWAR thing about as eyeroll worthy as Dr Who and Sherlock fanfiction writers begging for the next season to be a crossover.

Being a part of a fandom does not mean that fandom has anypart forcing itself into someone else's creative properties or forcing it upon another fanbase. This is why I largely don't like crossover characters in anything unless the property is a crossover title to begin with.

Last edited:

Error

DF2+R2
I don't care what fanbase has what kick for both MK and a certain IRL person. MKX does not need to become a self insertion fanfic for whatever fanbase puts in petitions. GWAR isn't even for everyone so why force it on everyone in another fanbase? Being a metal band propped up by props, gimmicks, and themes of violence does not constitute a roster spot shoehorning them in.

I like The Protomen, but I'm not gonna try to force my fanbase into some developer's game like Binary Domain simply because of related themes of Robot Dystopia. Its the same thing. Shall we petition to get Sonicchu into the next Sonic? How about Kamen Rider becoming part of Batman's world because both wear tights and kick enemies?

Having a fandom doesn't mean EVERYTHING would be better if it adopted it into itself. I see this GWAR thing about as eyeroll worthy as Dr Who and Sherlock fanfiction writers begging for the next season to be a crossover.

Being a part of a fandom does not mean that fandom has anypart forcing itself into someone else's creative properties or forcing it upon another fanbase. This is why I largely don't like crossover characters in anything unless the property is a crossover title to begin with.
I don't know why you sound so defensive about a silly petition to add something to a video game. I doubt most people voting actually expect this to happen, and are only doing it as a show of respect to Oderus and because it's funny. No one has demanded anything, and comparing this to the rabid antics of the Who/Sherlock fandoms is retarded.

shaowebb

I don't know why you sound so defensive about a silly petition to add something to a video game. I doubt most people voting actually expect this to happen, and are only doing it as a show of respect to Oderus and because it's funny. No one has demanded anything, and comparing this to the rabid antics of the Who/Sherlock fandoms is retarded.
Yeah...I guess your right. I just get tired of hearing of fanbases pushing to insert themselves into other fanbases is all. Leftover feelings from my MVC days I guess. Its why I was really against any non DC comic character making it into Injustice. Scorpion didn't ruin Injustice by showing up, but still feels out of place and wrong to me for being there. A little less because of MKvs DC being a thing, but folks like Kratos, Spawn, Heihachi, Link, Darth Vader, Yoda, Kreuger, Apprentice, Ezio and all the rest that appeared bug me. They just don't feel right and they end up feeling like a large out of place object that brings me out of the immersion of the world built by the game's actual canon.

No I said this GWAR guy is not cool enough for me, and turns out Ed Boon shares my opinion. I like Khrome and others don't, such as Paulo, but it really doesn't matter what he thinks because he could be fired anytime like Hector.
"Really doesn't matter what he thinks"
yeah ok

oh an Hector didn't get fired, and Paulo has been with MK since the MK4 days. Why the fuck would he be fired? god some of the shit you say is fucking ridiculous like you actually expect khrome has a chance of making it into this game.

Error

DF2+R2
Yeah...I guess your right. I just get tired of hearing of fanbases pushing to insert themselves into other fanbases is all. Leftover feelings from my MVC days I guess. Its why I was really against any non DC comic character making it into Injustice. Scorpion didn't ruin Injustice by showing up, but still feels out of place and wrong to me for being there. A little less because of MKvs DC being a thing, but folks like Kratos, Spawn, Heihachi, Link, Darth Vader, Yoda, Kreuger, Apprentice, Ezio and all the rest that appeared bug me. They just don't feel right and they end up feeling like a large out of place object that brings me out of the immersion of the world built by the game's actual canon.
I agree, I hated having Scorpion in over another DC character, but we've all learned to expect guest characters from NRS at this point, which is the only reason I posted this thread. I'd prefer if we could avoid guests entirely.

shaowebb

"Really doesn't matter what he thinks"
yeah ok

oh an Hector didn't get fired, and Paulo has been with MK since the MK4 days. Why the fuck would he be fired? god some of the shit you say is fucking ridiculous like you actually expect khrome has a chance of making it into this game.
Leave him be on the Khrome character Its a decent idea and all that. Its not been an organized push by any means, but thats something seperate. He can like it and thats alright. Some things we like are just awkward to express or get across.

jbthrash

Nut Breaker
Here's an idea. How about no guest characters. Is it so hard to just let the MK universe shine on its own?

shaowebb

Honestly, having 3 variants per character probably makes it even harder to table non MK cast than ever in MKX. Thats a lot more to tweak and work on than before. Even if its only a few specials you still gotta playtest for balance and beta test each style for its own unique glitches and such. Hate to have a memory error on a character that either restricts, or gives access to things it shouldn't have by skimming on that last bit. Course it'd be far more likely a character would just pose lock or error if a memory error occurred on a variant specific command line of code.

Extra cast? I'd invest HARD on pure MK. Especially at launch given the extra time that stuff takes.

Leave him be on the Khrome character Its a decent idea and all that. Its not been an organized push by any means, but thats something seperate. He can like it and thats alright. Some things we like are just awkward to express or get across.
yeah my bad i can come off as a dick sometimes, in kind of a shitty mood today and I totally understand that some things are hard to explain in text or to other people because in the end it's all your own idea. but you're right I shouldn't have even brought it up

shaowebb

yeah my bad i can come off as a dick sometimes, in kind of a shitty mood today and I totally understand that some things are hard to explain in text or to other people because in the end it's all your own idea. but you're right I shouldn't have even brought it up
I can come off as hard sometimes too. And believe me I know about the bad mood thing...I'm actually posting while pretty tore up with a cold. I admire everyone's passion for their fandoms and for wanting to share that thrill with fans of MK. I'm pretty sorry for the GWAR fans for their loss but it doesn't make a lot of sense to add him and honestly...how many people would be drawn in as opposed to turned off by this? I can't see him as having the same name value as Kreuger did as DLC since the appeal of GWAR is far more niche as their music fanbase is more of a niche thing than scary movies.

It'd be pretty hurtful to them and disrespectful if he became hated in a game filled with fatalities where folks could just pummel the guy. Remember when Fred Durst was put into a WWE game? That got harsh QUICK. They wouldn't like it if that happened and to some degree you know it would eventually in some way have stuff like that online. Especially since MK is a fighting game and as we all know people can get really hurt and angry when someone makes it into a fighting game and someone else doesn't. A lot of various fans of various MK cast might go all fandom wars and target Oderus as a symbol of something that hurt their own fandom's hopes.

Last edited:
I can come off as hard sometimes too. And believe me I know about the bad mood thing...I'm actually posting while pretty tore up with a cold. I admire everyone's passion for their fandoms and for wanting to share that thrill with fans of MK. I'm pretty sorry for the GWAR fans for their loss but it doesn't make a lot of sense to add him and honestly...how many people would be drawn in as opposed to turned off by this? I can't see him as having the same name value as Kreuger did as DLC since the appeal of GWAR is far more niche as their music fanbase is more of a niche thing than scary movie fans.

It'd be pretty hurtful to them and disrespectful if he became hated in a game filled with fatalities where folks could just pummel the guy. Remember when Fred Durst was put into a WWE game? That got harsh QUICK. They wouldn't like it if that happened and to some degree you know it would eventually in some way have stuff like that online. Especially since MK is a fighting game and as we all know people can get really hurt and angry when someone makes it into a fighting game and someone else doesn't. A lot of various fans of various MK cast might go all fandom wars and target Oderus as a symbol of something that hurt their own fandom's hopes.
totally agree, in all honestly Oderus should not and probably won't be in this game at all, but I think it's just a fun little petition like Error said to pay respect to the guy. Lots of people don't like that type of music either, i'm a metalhead myself and tbh I don't care for Gwar but I respect the music they make and could totally see people confused as to who the fuck this guy is and stuff. everything you said is pretty much true, but it's not something to take too seriously I think.