What's new

Evidence for Onaga in MKX and final boss speculation

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Sounds possible, though.. Wouldn't Onaga's skull on his chest make him less likely rather than more likely to be the final boss?
Yeah I went back and forth on this, and I don't think so. Like the fact that he's on the chest and has some sort of power (if it is him), and the fact that we know Quan Chi will play a major role, leads me to think that Quan Chi starts using Onaga's bones in an attempt to enhance his own powers, then when times get desperate for him and he's in need of a hail Mary play, he resurrects him. Also, we know that there's a civil war in outworld leading to the rise of Kotal Kahn and it has been said that there is only one true ruler of outworld...

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Yeah I went back and forth on this, and I don't think so. Like the fact that he's on the chest and has some sort of power (if it is him), and the fact that we know Quan Chi will play a major role, leads me to think that Quan Chi starts using Onaga's bones in an attempt to enhance his own powers, then when times get desperate for him and he's in need of a hail Mary play, he resurrects him. Also, we know that there's a civil war in outworld leading to the rise of Kotal Kahn and it has been said that there is only one true ruler of outworld...
I think Onaga was defeated during the Netherrealm wars and then Quan Chi took possesion of his skull and now is more powerfull so he is the leader of one faction involved in the Outworld's Civil war. This is pure speculation btw.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
I think Onaga was defeated during the Netherrealm wars and then Quan Chi took possesion of his skull and now is more powerfull so he is the leader of one faction involved in the Outworld's Civil war. This is pure speculation btw.
That does sound plausible, although I'm not sure NRS would reintroduce him only to have him die before MKX begins, especially when there's such potential for a good design given this gen's graphics capabilities and the design theme of MKX.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
That does sound plausible, although I'm not sure NRS would reintroduce him only to have him die before MKX begins, especially when there's such potential for a good design given this gen's graphics capabilities and the design theme of MKX.
To be honest I think there is good potential for everyone, that's why I think a lot of people will be sad at not seeing their favorite char in the final roster :(. And I do think they could reintroduce him just for the plot, I mean I don't think we are going to see him in the game actually, maybe a brief appearance in the cinematics, but it doesn't mean I don't want him in the game. Again, this is just pure speculation.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
I'm betting Onaga will be the main boss, with Goro (and/or a new monster) as A sub boss, and Shinnok and/or Quan Chi as the sub sub boss, pre-sub-boss or whatever the fuck you wanna call it.

Exactly like in MK9 where Shao Kahn was the end boss, either Goro or Kintaro were the sub boss, and Shang Tsung was always the fight before the sub-boss.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
I'm betting Onaga will be the main boss, with Goro (and/or a new monster) as A sub boss, and Shinnok and/or Quan Chi as the sub sub boss, pre-sub-boss or whatever the fuck you wanna call it.

Exactly like in MK9 where Shao Kahn was the end boss, either Goro or Kintaro were the sub boss, and Shang Tsung was always the fight before the sub-boss.
I too think that Onaga could be the final boss. But since Goro/Kintaro filled the sub boss role last time I don't think they'll be there as boss again. They could bring in Motaro. Fans have wanted him for a long time and it's only when NRS/Boon said that he wasn't possible for design and hardware limitations that they gave up hope. But those hardware limitations are not there anymore and MKX is going all out with design so...

Onaga/Shinnok/Motaro looks like a great boss lineup but if Motaro is still not doable they might throw in someone new.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
Yeah, your probably right about Goro. Actually, I like the idea of Goro being a playable non-boss character. More balanced. I hate when playable characters are big bosses that are just cheaper, OP versions. Bosses should be designed AS BOSSES.

I'd have to agree about Motaro being a sub-boss. I doubt that Moloch is coming back considering he was lame as shit, and Quan Chi kills him at the start of every fight haha.

I wonder about the other more obscure characters like Belokk, or some of the enemies from MKM:SZ. A sub-boss inspired by some of the mecha enemies or the dudes who ride on dinosaurs would be awesome. Not just one of them, but more like a Brotherhood of Shadows general. A more intelligent oni that has a velociraptor mount. I guess at that point you might as well program Motaro. Way off topic now. So, yeah... how bout that Onaga?

In MKD, Shujinko fights the Elder Gods true champion right near the end of the story. It was essentially a Scorpion clone, but I wonder if little ideas like that are going to return. I do recall that the Elder Gods eventually make Scorpion their champion so I wonder if ideas like that are still going to return. This is netherealms chance to take a bunch of their characters who have so much potential to be badass (Li Mei, Shujinko, Daegon, Havik, Bo Rai Cho, Ashrah) and completely redesign them for their new dark setting they are going for and make them new MK favs.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Your all fools we all know the final boss is gonna be the son of Meat and Mocap named Sloppy Seconds...

Really though its likely gonna be someone out of left field it makes no sense to re-boot the entire series just to follow the same storyline.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Your all fools we all know the final boss is gonna be the son of Meat and Mocap named Sloppy Seconds...

Really though its likely gonna be someone out of left field it makes no sense to re-boot the entire series just to follow the same storyline.
Although I agree that the story won't be exactly the same, in fact I think it will take a very different route to what many are expecting, there will certainly be familiar elements and character and the Boss is known to be a returning character. Also, John Vogel has tweeted that we can assume Shujinko will be on his quest again

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
What "skull on Quan Chi's chest" are people talking about? Only from certain angles (head on) can a mouth be recognized, but from any other angle a "skull" in unrecognizable.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
What?? There's clearly a skull in that chest piece no matter which angle you look at it
I think is half a skull, just the front part; otherwise it would look like having a single breast :REO
Maybe the mouth, rather a mouth, can be made out, but we are talking about a necromancer who revels in the adornment of skulls, blood, and all things that resemble death. Just because there is the resemblance of a face on his armor doesn't mean it's an actual skull, let alone should we go as far as believing that he's wearing the face / skull of an actual OG character.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Maybe the mouth, rather a mouth, can be made out, but we are talking about a necromancer who revels in the adornment of skulls, blood, and all things that resemble death. Just because there is the resemblance of a face on his armor doesn't mean it's an actual skull, let alone should we go as far as believing that he's wearing the face / skull of an actual OG character.
But Quan make use of that to summon dead fellows in his win pose, plus I've seen he hitting the opponent with his chest, that should be somehow dumb if it weren't because the thing in his chest has somekind of power. Btw, you can see a nose, not just the mouth.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Look at it. Look at the bulging area above the nose where the forehead would be. It's covered by protective armour. This thing isn't just some necromancer jewellery. He's protecting it and uses it at least twice. Once in his throw animation and once in his win pose.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Although I agree that the story won't be exactly the same, in fact I think it will take a very different route to what many are expecting, there will certainly be familiar elements and character and the Boss is known to be a returning character. Also, John Vogel has tweeted that we can assume Shujinko will be on his quest again
I have faith in NRS about MKX, they did well with MK9 and MKX is looking good thus far I think though that the Onaga story might be over somewhere in the middle of the story this time as to bring in some new elements in for later use. Then again Shujinko was pretty damn old by the end of his story in MK:D, but I thought that had something to do with his quest speeding the aging process.