What's new

Strategy Ermac Key Strategy: Mix-ups

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
I had no idea Storms made this thread... lol

I'm really sorry I haven't been using Ermac lately, I'm just really stuck on Cyrax atm.

I need to practice more with him and get back in shape with him though. Here is a recent tournament that I went to, these are Losers Finals.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I had no idea Storms made this thread... lol

I'm really sorry I haven't been using Ermac lately, I'm just really stuck on Cyrax atm.

I need to practice more with him and get back in shape with him though. Here is a recent tournament that I went to, these are Losers Finals.

Good matches.Try to punish the blocked supermans and teleports harder though m8.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Good matches.Try to punish the blocked supermans and teleports harder though m8.
What do you mean? I literally punished them all.

If you mean finish my combos with force push, I wont do that against Raiden or Mileena.

The match is definitely not in Ermacs favor, and the best way to approach him is to reset Raiden in front of you with F4. Otherwise you are playing his game all day, and believe me, I've played a lot of good Raidens and studied him myself. That's not a character you want to give any sort of ground advantage to. You'll just be giving the match away.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
What do you mean? I literally punished them all.

If you mean finish my combos with force push, I wont do that against Raiden or Mileena.

The match is definitely not in Ermacs favor, and the best way to approach him is to reset Raiden in front of you with F4. Otherwise you are playing his game all day, and believe me, I've played a lot of good Raidens and studied him myself. That's not a character you want to give any sort of ground advantage to. You'll just be giving the match away.
True.But the best punish for blocked teles and superman's is B12F1 tele 12 slam B12F1 dash TKP.For Raiden and mileena you can do B12F1 tele 12 slam dash F4 then.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
True.But the best punish for blocked teles and superman's is B12F1 tele 12 slam B12F1 dash TKP.For Raiden and mileena you can do B12F1 tele 12 slam dash F3 then.
Definitely not. You realize how execution heavy punishing with B12F1 is and following up with a tele into 12 lift and F4 for what? 2%. Sorry, but I'm happy with 31lift, jk tele F4. Easy, reliable and just as heavy in damage.

The metagame in this match is block, dash-block, punish with the most reliable punisher, reset, and pressure.

Maybe other match-ups, but not this particular one.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Definitely not. You realize how execution heavy punishing with B12F1 is and following up with a tele into 12 lift and F4 for what? 2%. Sorry, but I'm happy with 31lift, jk tele F4. Easy, reliable and just as heavy in damage.

The metagame in this match is block, dash-block, punish with the most reliable punisher, reset, and pressure.

Maybe other match-ups, but not this particular one.
Well it has worked wonders for me.It just needs practice its not that hard Krayzie.Also the patch is not out in EU yet so i dont know how the scaling is now in his combos.But if you do the full combo its a 42% dmg meterless which pretty much rocks.Anyway my point was that you can punish blocked teles much harder than that.Still GG's for your matches.That B2 cancel to 31 lift is pretty cool.For example i need to practice this :) I dont use it at all :)

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Well it has worked wonders for me.It just needs practice its not that hard Krayzie.Also the patch is not out in EU yet so i dont know how the scaling is now in his combos.But if you do the full combo its a 42% dmg meterless which pretty much rocks.Anyway my point was that you can punish blocked teles much harder than that.Still GG's for your matches.That B2 cancel to 31 lift is pretty cool.For example i need to practice this :) I dont use it at all :)
That's cool, I can do the combo just fine. But there is a huge execution gap between starting with B1, using teleports to catch opponents with 12 lift and F4, than 31 lift jk tele F4, huge difference. And no matter how easy any of those can be, in a competitive environment, I'll stick to the easiest one, so long as its only 2% I'm letting go of. Match-up wise, F4 is what you should be using against Raiden.

Also, the damage nerf made me grind my teeth a bit... lol Only because I loved my non-meter 51% corner combo, and its now like 47%. 4% difference, not too much of a big deal, specially considering how it uses no meter, but that 50 looked nice... lol

Oh, and those matches were pre-patch. I'm gonna miss those days... Not really, I use Cyrax. :)

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
That's cool, I can do the combo just fine. But there is a huge execution gap between starting with B1, using teleports to catch opponents with 12 lift and F4, than 31 lift jk tele F4, huge difference. And no matter how easy any of those can be, in a competitive environment, I'll stick to the easiest one, so long as its only 2% I'm letting go of. Match-up wise, F4 is what you should be using against Raiden.

Also, the damage nerf made me grind my teeth a bit... lol Only because I loved my non-meter 51% corner combo, and its now like 47%. 4% difference, not too much of a big deal, specially considering how it uses no meter, but that 50 looked nice... lol
Can you do me a favor and try this one plz?
Corner combo: jp B114 EX lift dash B12F1x3 22 TKp and tell me how much % is ? Cause thats my bnb corner combo and i m gonna be pissed if its nerfed hard.

Btw B1 can hit the opponent in the air just fine.Now in tournament enviroment yeah i know it can be frustrating but it worked out for me in SVB.Too bad i dont have any footage to show you.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Can you do me a favor and try this one plz?
Corner combo: jp B114 EX lift dash B12F1x3 22 TKp and tell me how much % is ? Cause thats my bnb corner combo and i m gonna be pissed if its nerfed hard.
How much does it do for you without the patch currently?

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
[EDIT] 59%

I accidentally wrote 53% then I read my post and was like... what? I just said it was only 4% less but I wrote 53... I confused the shit out of myself... lol

Anyway, yeah. Its just like my meterless 51%, now its 47%

I'm stealing this from you btw, one bar to see 50% is so gratifying... lol

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
No, thank you! I was depressed about my 51% lol
Hehe np.There is 1 combo midscreen that deals 51% with one bar but i m sure its nerfed too with this patch.

jp B114 EX lift jk tele dash 22 TKP.

Also another is jp B12F1 tele 12 or 22 lift dash B12F1 TKP for 49% meterless but that must be nerfed too.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Hehe np.There is 1 combo midscreen that deals 51% with one bar but i m sure its nerfed too with this patch.

jp B114 EX lift jk tele dash 22 TKP.

Also another is jp B12F1 tele 12 or 22 lift dash B12F1 TKP for 49% meterless but that must be nerfed too.
Yeah, they are... lol

I don't like to use meter midscreen anyway. Its very rewarding in the corner though.

I like keeping the most defensive Ermac I can when I play. I take most of my opponents damage with pressure and resets. So when the time comes for them to hurt me, I have full meter for breakers. I'm also making my meter as I pressure them, so either I have breakers if I don't feel like letting them have a combo, or I use it when I'm at match-point, have a decent life lead, and they have enough for my X-Ray to finish them off.

I like to use the armor on it and take small damage for a finishing blow.

[Edit] Actually I like the meterless one, it does 42% now though.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Yeah, they are... lol

I don't like to use meter midscreen anyway. Its very rewarding in the corner though.

I like keeping the most defensive Ermac I can when I play. I take most of my opponents damage with pressure and resets. So when the time comes for them to hurt me, I have full meter for breakers. I'm also making my meter as I pressure them, so either I have breakers if I don't feel like letting them have a combo, or I use it when I'm at match-point, have a decent life lead, and they have enough for my X-Ray to finish them off.

I like to use the armor on it and take small damage for a finishing blow.

[Edit] Actually I like the meterless one, it does 42% now though.
True.We have the same thinking about the X-RAY.Its Ermac's best anti-crossup move in my opinion.I was using alot of the 51% combo midscreen cause in the end you just send your opponent almost full screen and thats where you want him(ofc it depends on the MU too) and from there you can still fill your bars with TKP's and projectiles.
Just remembered.There was another combo i used to do for 40% meterless midscreen but its gotta be nerfed too as well....

jp F114 tele dash 22 lift dash B12F1 dash TKP.

Why did they nerf him ? Ermac was fine the way he was before the patch.... Its stupid.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
True.We have the same thinking about the X-RAY.Its Ermac's best anti-crossup move in my opinion.I was using alot of the 51% combo midscreen cause in the end you just send your opponent almost full screen and thats where you want him(ofc it depends on the MU too) and from there you can still fill your bars with TKP's and projectiles.
Just remembered.There was another combo i used to do for 40% meterless midscreen but its gotta be nerfed too as well....

jp F114 tele dash 22 lift dash B12F1 dash TKP.

Why did they nerf him ? Ermac was fine the way he was before the patch.... Its stupid.
I actually still prefer my 31 lift combos. Like the same variation that you had mentioned is 42%, and only 41% with 31 lift. Not a big difference, but easier imo.

Also, I just realized that the reason I use him more as a pressure character, is because I use him for those specific matchups. Like, I wouldn't use Cyrax against Mileena/Kitana, so I use Ermac and keep her next to me all day. Otherwise, matchups where I would actually have the chance to take big damage, I usually just pick Cyrax and get it over with... lol

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I actually still prefer my 31 lift combos. Like the same variation that you had mentioned is 42%, and only 41% with 31 lift. Not a big difference, but easier imo.

Also, I just realized that the reason I use him more as a pressure character, is because I use him for those specific matchups. Like, I wouldn't use Cyrax against Mileena/Kitana, so I use Ermac and keep her next to me all day. Otherwise, matchups where I would actually have the chance to take big damage, I usually just pick Cyrax and get it over with... lol
True.With 31 even if you dont hit confirm you can still pressure your opponent and go for another low-mid mixup or throw and you have a free jump too.In my opinion i still think that Ermac can go toe to toe with the entire roster if he is played correctly and patiently.But the dmg nerf he hot from this patch wasnt necessery.And i also believe that he is not B tier as many players think he is.He has really good mind games up close, good dmg in combos(even after this cursed patch) and he is one of the best zoners in the game.So why B tier ? I really dont understand that.

EDIT: Btw any tips you wanna give me for my playstyle ? I have some videos uploaded by Usedforglue and the video i uploaded with the Greek tournament we had last Sunday.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
True.With 31 even if you dont hit confirm you can still pressure your opponent and go for another low-mid mixup or throw and you have a free jump too.In my opinion i still think that Ermac can go toe to toe with the entire roster if he is played correctly and patiently.But the dmg nerf he hot from this patch wasnt necessery.And i also believe that he is not B tier as many players think he is.He has really good mind games up close, good dmg in combos(even after this cursed patch) and he is one of the best zoners in the game.So why B tier ? I really dont understand that.
I actually don't think Ermac has that many bad matchups. The only reason I'd say he would be B tier, is because of the amount of super characters in this game. Not to say that B tier is significant enough to say hes a bad character, by all means, I believe Ermac is great. Hes the worst of the best at least... lol

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I agree with KB in the sense that jip 31, TKS is far easier then his other ones....but to each his own.

And again i say it will be OP.The only thing Ermac needs is a faster overhead and nothing else.About the levitation thingy i still think its useless in high lvl gameplay.No one is going to be baited by that move or its cancels.
I was merely suggesting it as one of the options Ermac could use, either that, armor on ex TKpush or as we've all said a good, fast overhead(one of the 3 is fine) and wouldn't make him overpowering....

I think you can always fool someone with cancel moves if you do it right, just not all the time...

I honestly think Ermac doesn't need any buffs at all. He's perfect how he is. Overhead? No need really, his throw beats crouch block and throws the opponent midscreen, where Ermac can begin to build meter with his amazing midscreen zoning. Armor? Nah, Ermac's zoning if done effectively is so hard for an opponent to get in that if they get in, they deserved to get in after taking so much chip and possibly even pushed back a few times. Ermac actually does decently well against crossups. If read, an uppercut leads to big damage. If they cross over on wakeup, a times force lift will catch them. He can zone, decent up close, and can get full combos off of air to air. What more does he need? Also after lots of experimenting, after a blocked 31, a. Pulls d4's to create space and force push usually catches people off gaurd. Ermac is very good, I personally think he is higher than B tier.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I honestly think Ermac doesn't need any buffs at all. He's perfect how he is. Overhead? No need really, his throw beats crouch block and throws the opponent midscreen, where Ermac can begin to build meter with his amazing midscreen zoning. Armor? Nah, Ermac's zoning if done effectively is so hard for an opponent to get in that if they get in, they deserved to get in after taking so much chip and possibly even pushed back a few times. Ermac actually does decently well against crossups. If read, an uppercut leads to big damage. If they cross over on wakeup, a times force lift will catch them. He can zone, decent up close, and can get full combos off of air to air. What more does he need? Also after lots of experimenting, after a blocked 31, a. Pulls d4's to create space and force push usually catches people off gaurd. Ermac is very good, I personally think he is higher than B tier.

Agree with everything except the overhead issue.His overhead needs to be a little faster.Thats all.In any other way he is ok.