What's new

Strategy Ermac Key Strategy: Mix-ups

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Making this thread for good mixup and strategy information ONLY. Been talking to Krayzie and he told me some stuff that I didn't know but you all probably do. Regardless, here it is... and feel free to dd to it.

312 causes stagger on hit
31 can be connected to lift
312, jip B2
thats the mixup
so you can do, "3,1 3,1 3,1,2(assuming they get caught and stagger) jip B2
after that
you have the option of using the entire unblockable or dashing for more pressure
B2 lets your opponent know, "Block, or hit me"
if they block, you can hold it all the way and get the unblockable
if they attempt to hit you and you dash out of B2, you can get the 31 lift, or 312 into another stagger for a jip B2

Also, you can still continue pressure if you lift.
so you can do 31 lift, jk tele, dash, F4
reset

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I like to do the following for good mix ups with Ermac:

rushing down, 3, 1, 3,1, 312, F4, throw, F4, F4, D1, D4(not in any particular order) but if you're coming hard, fast chances are you'll nail them with one of these up close. Also, another thing that's GREAT to do is F4, stagger go up close 50/50 throw them, chances are they tend to duck block anticipating the F4 again and you get a free throw more or less lol.

I also like to sweep here and there, jump in 1, 3, 1, throw or just 1, 3, throw, or jip, 1 pause throw. They tend to block on jump ins longer thinking you'll do the entire jump in combo. Sometimes, just stop short and throw fast.

You can do the charge B+2, cancel rush and throw if you're fast enough. Jump in and if they try to uppercut you, stop and air blast.

Also, while I don't consider this a reset it's just a trick I do here and there lag pending...

Jip, 1, 3, 1, TKS, dash in, uppercut crossover, catch them with an ex TKPush, free jump in, throw. If you're near the corner you can get a reset though with the B2 charge after ex TKPush. Of course this situation has to present itself.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
I have a question.Idk if its online or what but are people supposed to be able to throw out a poke or be able to uppercut me during the 3,1....3,1,2 string?Cause that happens to me alot and its irritating trying pressure when they can just D1 to stop me.

MKF30

It's easier to uppercut stuff you out online then offline due to the lag/delay I've noticed. In between that string, you don't want to abuse it/repeat it though constantly then you'll become predictable and they can just poke you or uppercut you on pattern.

I like to mix it up with lows to keep them honest as best I can :) I find it works.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
You can mix-up the unblockable without jumping punch after 3,1,2 but the dash must be extremely fast.After that, the same things Krayzie said.Plus a very good mix-up is that after 3 on block you can link lift if you are sure that your opponent will will d poke your 1.But its very risky.Have done it a couple of times but one time i got punished hard :) So its safer to do it when you have a breaker as a safe solution if anything goes wrong.

Ermaculate_Slim

You can mix-up the unblockable without jumping punch after 3,1,2 but the dash must be extremely fast.After that, the same things Krayzie said.Plus a very good mix-up is that after 3 on block you can link lift if you are sure that your opponent will will d poke your 1.But its very risky.Have done it a couple of times but one time i got punished hard :) So its safer to do it when you have a break as a safe solution if anything goes wrong.
Thx Metzos why didnt I think of that :/

MKF30

Another trick I like to do is sweep distance, do a few sweeps but buffer into the TKP often you'll find they release block after the sweep attempt and you'll nail them with the TKP lol. I do it all the time but not often, and it usually works. More of a sweep/mix up but still great for implementing in his game.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Another trick I like to do is sweep distance, do a few sweeps but buffer into the TKP often you'll find they release block after the sweep attempt and you'll nail them with the TKP lol. I do it all the time but not often, and it usually works. More of a sweep/mix up but still great for implementing in his game.
Yeah good one cause his sweep has a pretty good range.

DOWNLOADED

The Cowardly Lion
No offense of anything but I'm pretty sure Ermac's overhead is U+4( Looks like a hopkick) unless you guys thought it was useless or something. I just found it odd it wasn't mentioned at all.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
No offense of anything but I'm pretty sure Ermac's overhead is U+4( Looks like a hopkick) unless you guys thought it was useless or something. I just found it odd it wasn't mentioned at all.
It is useless cause its sooooo damn slow.The only good thing about that move is that is safe and if the opponent decides to jump after he/she blocks it you have a guarantee uppercut to lift combo.But yeah its useless.He needs a better overhead.The reason we dont mention that move is that :)

MKF30

What he said ^ lol, you can see it coming miles away. They need to speed it up seriously, if they speed it up like 8 frames then it'll actually be worth something.

Error

DF2+R2
What he said ^ lol, you can see it coming miles away. They need to speed it up seriously, if they speed it up like 8 frames then it'll actually be worth something.
At 8 frames that thing would be so awesomely stupid fast.

Ermaculate_Slim

lol 8 frame overhead would just be stupid,but yea U+4 is 25 frames probably slowest overhead in the game.It does need to be a few frames faster.

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
What I've been doing a lot is dash canceling a bunch of down pokes then suddenly back dash into f2 or d4 at a distance into f2.

I have a question.Idk if its online or what but are people supposed to be able to throw out a poke or be able to uppercut me during the 3,1....3,1,2 string?Cause that happens to me alot and its irritating trying pressure when they can just D1 to stop me.
31 is indeed unsafe against most characters but there's some stuff your can do:

1. learn which characters it is safe against
2. try it once or twice against your opponent to check their reaction
3. focus on down pokes and b1 strings instead

lol 8 frame overhead would just be stupid,but yea U+4 is 25 frames probably slowest overhead in the game.It does need to be a few frames faster.
You know what, it being super fast wouldn't be so bad since we don't get a combo from it. If not then only make is slightly faster but make it link to lift. And if they keep it slow then give it massive advantage on block or something.

MKF30

I think he meant * frames faster, not that the move should actually be 8 frames.
Yeah, exactly what I meant :) perhaps 6 or 7...it doesn't even have to be 8 or 10 something crazy more frames, but fast enough to not be useless lol

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
What I've been doing a lot is dash canceling a bunch of down pokes then suddenly back dash into f2 or d4 at a distance into f2.

31 is indeed unsafe against most characters but there's some stuff your can do:

1. learn which characters it is safe against
2. try it once or twice against your opponent to check their reaction
3. focus on down pokes and b1 strings instead

You know what, it being super fast wouldn't be so bad since we don't get a combo from it. If not then only make is slightly faster but make it link to lift. And if they keep it slow then give it massive advantage on block or something.

The only things i want for Ermac are the overhead to be faster(no need to add cancel to lift thats ridiculus), and the F4 to be safe on block or not punishable with full combo.Apart from those two things nothing more.Ermac is fine the way he is right now.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Can you tell me what makes this a ridiculous suggestion?
Let me put it this way.Imagine F4 linking to any special.As an Ermac player myself i tell you that is OP because of the mixups he has.Ermac has enough strings to link his specials and deal massive dmg as you know.He has also a good upper and d1 to lift for AA and anti-crossup.If he had an overhead to lift too that would be inbalanced.Plus he is a zoner.Which means that he will already cause enough dmg to the opponent before the opponent even has the chance to get near him(TKP).His throws also are very useful sending the opponent exactly where he wants him/her to be.Almost full screen.Also if the opponent blocks U4 and then he/she decides to jump you have a guaranteed uppercut to lift for almost 40% meterless.Now take those pro's he has and add special cancel to U4.Dont you find it a little overpowered ?

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
Let me put it this way.Imagine F4 linking to any special.As an Ermac player myself i tell you that is OP because of the mixups he has.Ermac has enough strings to link his specials and deal massive dmg as you know.He has also a good upper and d1 to lift for AA.If he had an overhead to lift too that would be inbalanced.Plus he is a zoner.Which means that he will already cause enough dmg to the opponent before he even has the chance to get near him(TKP).His throws also are very useful sending the opponent exactly where he wants him/her to be.Almost full screen.Now take those pro's he has and add special cancel to U4.
I wanna fly out to Greece and play you guys. You were so cool when I met you at SvB.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Skelter !!!!!!!! We already miss you guys.SVB was soooo hype.Usedforglue uploaded some casual and tourney matches from SVB you should check them out if you havent.It would be fun if you could bring the other guys too man.We could have a huuuuge MK gathering.

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
Let me put it this way.Imagine F4 linking to any special.As an Ermac player myself i tell you that is OP because of the mixups he has.Ermac has enough strings to link his specials and deal massive dmg as you know.He has also a good upper and d1 to lift for AA and anti-crossup.If he had an overhead to lift too that would be inbalanced.Plus he is a zoner.Which means that he will already cause enough dmg to the opponent before the opponent even has the chance to get near him(TKP).His throws also are very useful sending the opponent exactly where he wants him/her to be.Almost full screen.Also if the opponent blocks U4 and then he/she decides to jump you have a guaranteed uppercut to lift for almost 40% meterless.Now take those pro's he has and add special cancel to U4.Dont you find it a little overpowered ?
Considering that I said to only make it slightly faster if they allow a cancel, I think it's fair. If the opponent gets hit by a slow overhead, I think I should get a higher reward. Now if they make it fast I don't mind not getting more than a knockdown.

MKF30

I can see Ruuku's point here with the cancelling lift options, Ermac has no to little good mix up options meaning. No highs into lows like other characters, and his low into high is his F4, B2 which is really not hard to avoid if you see coming and F4 can be countered...

The cancel ermac lift may be a little too much, but I definitely agree that Ermac needs a fast/good overhead and/or armor to his enhanced TKP.

The only other thing I was thinking of is making his levitation able to move Ermac in the air(like Sindel kind of) I don't think this would make him THAT much more powerful honestly.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
OP !!!

And again i say it will be OP.The only thing Ermac needs is a faster overhead and nothing else.About the levitation thingy i still think its useless in high lvl gameplay.No one is going to be baited by that move or its cancels.