What's new

Ed Boon talks about improved Netcode/ deconfirms stage fatalities, Microtransactions and more

Gamer68

Fujin!
Big props to Joe for asking legit questions and keeping the pressure on for a real answer.
That's why I like AngryJoe. He makes fair reviews (if a game is over-hyped crap, he isn't scared to admit it), he does good interviews (keeps the pressure on for real answers), he will make a "Angry Rant" if a developer just completely screws up (to call them out), and normally just releases over-all great videos.

He tries his best to get-to-the-point on things; but also offers a great breakdown on why (his most recent review: Battlefield Hardline, was over 40 minutes long. That's how you do a review!). But even though he tries to get-to-the-point with things, and may also get angry, he tries to have fun. Pretty much all of his reviews have some pretty funny sections in them...

I'm aware this video has been posted up already, but I thought we'd talk about the two big pieces of info brought on by the interview.

Looks like we finally have Ed speaking about one of the hot button issues on TYM. He goes out on a limb and calls it improved from Injustice. Also, he seems to be unsure what fatalities have been announced already when he deconfirms stage fatalities. Is there another kind of fatality left to be discovered?

HOT TOPICS:
  • 8:40 netcode
  • 14:15 microtransactions de-confirmed by Ed Boon
  • 15:05 mobile game confirmed to be developed by sparate team
  • Boon says the Johnny Cage skin that you unlock in the mobile game is by far the "coolest skin in the game".
  • 20:28 last gen delay details
Credit: @BenGmanUk

Additionallly...

Deconfirm stage fatalities @ 7:57

"AngryJoe: Are there going to be any substantial changes to the netcode? Are you guaranteeing that it's going to be improved?

Ed Boon: Oh yeah, yeah, it's going to be improved over MK9 certainly, improved over Injustice. We really are focusing a lot on it, as well as the messaging [you get when something happens in online mode].

One of the problems MK9 had when we first launched it, was that it just kind of had this vague message -- connection was lost -- without ever telling you exactly what happened. So that was a lot of what we were trying to address.

And then we were also just doing what we can to connect people better, between players with good connections, so that somebody with a bad connection isn't kind of just alone.

AngryJoe: I play a lot with my fans online. I love the 100-player rooms because I could fill up a 100-player room and then just play with people individually -- are we still going to see that kind of stuff?

Ed Boon: Yeah, absolutely."

edited/promoted by STORMS*
Omg can we stop using "deconfirmed" shits not a word

Doctor Future

Baraka Lives!
I can't believe no one is talking about how Jason will he his own "Jason Tower" which will allow you to play as him through a set of fights; even if you don't own him.

This is awesome, because it will allow everyone to get a taste of him before buying. Basically a character trial. What if they do that with all DLC characters? That would be even more awesome...
Most likely they will.

Especially since Jason will be the first DLC, they'll gauge the popularity of the premier tower and do the same for Tanya, Tremor & Predator.

Glad to get the cold hard evidence from cossners dad on this internet business.

Also I noticed a correlation between background detail and connection delay in mk9 and wondered if a blank stage or background elimination(outside of interactables) kombat Kode would help this. It'd be cool to play on a blank background Cept for the background outlines from training reveal.

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
Fuck no tag. I see nobody saying " a waste of resources" for Test your luck though.
Whaaat? Test Your Luck is brilliant. You find no fun in it? I just always loved MK for its gimmicky fun, and Test Your Luck goes with their long history of having fun with their games.

Balancing tag would have been a nightmare and 1v1 would suffer as a result. I loved tag in MK9, but this is MKX.

JDM

Noob
That's why I like AngryJoe. He makes fair reviews (if a game is over-hyped crap, he isn't scared to admit it), he does good interviews (keeps the pressure on for real answers), he will make a "Angry Rant" if a developer just completely screws up (to call them out), and normally just releases over-all great videos.

He tries his best to get-to-the-point on things; but also offers a great breakdown on why (his most recent review: Battlefield Hardline, was over 40 minutes long. That's how you do a review!). But even though he tries to get-to-the-point with things, and may also get angry, he tries to have fun. Pretty much all of his reviews have some pretty funny sections in them...
Yes, Joe is my favorite reviewer by a wide margin.

JDM

Noob
This was honestly the first review of his that I have watched and I was really impressed and enjoyed his approach with the interview with Boon.
His reviews are really fun to watch and funny. My favorite one was his christmas review of the Star Trek: Trexels mobile game. It's hilarious. Give it a watch if you have some time to kill.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
What I find funny is that ultimately, tag mode was a wash for the interests of this community and yet people still want it back. Getting tag mode working well would have cost them a lot of extra time and energy, by the same people who are tasked with ensuring the 1v1 game is as good as it can be. There's no good reason for them to exert that effort.

Neclord

Noob
Boon also said before MK9 released that MK9 will have a netcode which is on par with SF4 netcode.
Yeah, take all his statements about netcode with a grain of salt.

Reactions: SGX

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Yeah, take all his statements about netcode with a grain of salt.
Take all statements about netcode with a grain of salt, period. Netcode is tricky business - you never really know how it's going to perform until it's out in the world. It's a nasty problem for devs because whatever testing you can do is never going to be truly sufficient. You can simulate web conditions, but you can't ever really accurately reproduce the real world.

JDM

Noob
People actually played tag?

I don't think so, honestly. I just feel like this is another thing to complain about for no reason. Like I honestly didn't know one person who enjoyed Tag.

I remember when people used to send me invites and I'd accidentally accept a Tag Kombat invite. Smh.

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
People actually played tag?

I don't think so, honestly. I just feel like this is another thing to complain about for no reason. Like I honestly didn't know one person who enjoyed Tag.

I remember when people used to send me invites and I'd accidentally accept a Tag Kombat invite. Smh.
What even is this comment? Of course people played Tag. Hell I was one of the people who exclusively played it and I knew A LOT of people who did.