What's new

Discussion - "Shut up and get better"

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
No, because you are a good player and can out play your opponent. I'm just saying that you can't use the matchup as an excuse when you lose, and if you do you should expect to be told to level up
I don't use it as an excuse for losing, but I can also see how sometimes the amount of work I have to put in to win compared to my opponent is completely lobsided. If this game were perfect, everyone would play differently but have the tools to deal with whatever strategy people are throwing at them (zoning, rushdown, teleports ect) without having to severely outplay their opponent to get the win.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
Adapting would be changing something about your play to be more successful. Why can't that change be at the character select screen?
Changing your character doesn't make you adapt though... If I play Bane and lose... then choose Superman and win... I am not adapting. I am just picking a better character. I guess that would be adapting in a more meta-physical sense... but that is stretching it.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
The more I let my character do means the less I actually have to do myself, which means I learn less, which means my actual skill is lower.
I don't play for some stupid number attached to my name. I play for fun and to better myself, and so should everyone else. Fuck "winning."
Sorry... I thought we were talking about competitive gaming. I have fun by winning. You can play for whatever you want. Just don't complain about balance then.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I don't use it as an excuse for losing, but I can also see how sometimes the amount of work I have to put in to win compared to my opponent is completely lobsided. If this game were perfect, everyone would play differently but have the tools to deal with whatever strategy people are throwing at them (zoning, rushdown, teleports ect) without having to severely outplay their opponent to get the win.
no game will ever be perfect.

Sorry... I thought we were talking about competitive gaming. I have fun by winning. You can play for whatever you want. Just don't complain about balance then.

If you can't have fun without winning then you should never be doing anything, ever.
And I'll complain about balance all I want. An unbalanced game is not fun for anyone.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Changing your character doesn't make you adapt though... If I play Bane and lose... then choose Superman and win... I am not adapting. I am just picking a better character. I guess that would be adapting in a more meta-physical sense... but that is stretching it.
I personally don't see how that's not an adaptation. I mean whatever you can use whatever words you want because at the end of the day the only two words that matter are "win" and "lose"

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
If you can't have fun without winning then you should never be doing anything, ever.
And I'll complain about balance all I want. An unbalanced game is not fun for anyone.
Okay I retract my statement, you can talk about balance, but don't use it as an excuse. Also, sorry I don't have fun losing for the sake of being stubborn. If you do, that's fine. Don't tell me how I should have fun though.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
It's not about winning and losing. It's about who the better player is. The better player does not always come out on top.

If Tom Brady picks Jade and you pick Kenshi, and you win in that match-up in which it is almost impossible for Kenshi to lose, are you a better player than Tom Brady?

Or in the NCAA tournament when Florida Gulf Coast beat Georgetown, FGC was better than a Top 10 team?
I was the better player because I was smart enough to pick kenshi abd he was dumb enough to pick jade. The better player in that situation always wins

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I was the better player because I was smart enough to pick kenshi abd he was dumb enough to pick jade. The better player in that situation always wins
No, this is stupid. Tom Brady is a better player. Playing to win is fine but don't think it means low tier players are automatically bad because they play bad characters. Some if us like a challenge.

Im a jade main and If I was ever in that situation in a tournament, I'd still use her because I'd be dumb to pick anybody else just because everyone and their mother thinks it's a 10-0 for kenshi. I don't use characters I have no interest in.I guess Im supposed to pick Lao or Kabal which I probably have 5 minutes of experience using since the game came out over Jade who I have a years worth of experience with. Im pretty sure that I'll be much better off with a character that I know inside out rather than one I never even touch nor intend to.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
No, this is stupid. Tom Brady is a better player. Playing to win is fine but don't think it means low tier players are automatically bad because they play bad characters. Some if us like a challenge.
Actually, it does mean I'm the better player in that situation, because I put myself in a position to win and he didn't. Of course in real life that situation wouldn't occur, and Tom is in fact a better player than myself. Low tier heroes is a whole different argument, but it certainly doesn't use the play to win style.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
No. The reason you lost was your refusal to use all the tools at your disposal.
You don't make sense. Everyone doesn't play well with the same char. If that was the case every single MK player would main Kabal. Diff people play their best level with diff chars that suit THEM.

If I'm BETTER with Raven and Frost, a decent tier and a top tier, than Superman or Aquaman lets say, know the MU well and the stage, yet I can lose matches I would've NEVER lost if not for respawning interactables that can barely be avoided, then I should play with a char I'm LESS skilled with in order to be able to throw robots back??? THAT'S your idea of "adapting"?

Couldn't disagree more.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Im a jade main and If I was ever in that situation in a tournament, I'd still use her because I'd be dumb to pick anybody else just because everyone and their mother thinks it's a 10-0 for kenshi. I don't use characters I have no interest in.I guess Im supposed to pick Lao or Kabal which I probably have 5 minutes of experience using since the game came out over Jade who I have a years worth of experience with. Im pretty sure that I'll be much better off with a character that I know inside out rather than one I never even touch nor intend to.
Maybe you should have put that time into a character that doesn't get bodied 9 1, or trained a counter pick. It's no one else's fault but your own that you won't play someone else.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
You don't make sense. Everyone doesn't play well with the same char. If that was the case every single MK player would main Kabal. Diff people play their best level with diff chars that suit THEM.

If I'm BETTER with Raven and Frost, a decent tier and a top tier, than Superman or Aquaman lets say, know the MU well and the stage, yet I can lose matches I would've NEVER lost if not for respawning interactables that can barely be avoided, then I should play with a char I'm LESS skilled with in order to be able to throw robots back??? THAT'S your idea of "adapting"?

Couldn't disagree more.
I'm saying that you should play a character that is a balance of your strengths and viability. If your strengths are weak in the game, level up your own skills to match what is good in the game. If your only good at one thing then you are limiting yourself. Maybe youshould've prepared a character to throw those rockets yourself if it's such a big deal.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
I'm saying that you should play a character that is a balance of your strengths and viability. If your strengths are weak in the game, level up your own skills to match what is good in the game. If your only good at one thing then you are limiting yourself. Maybe youshould've prepared a character to throw those rockets yourself if it's such a big deal.

I get what you're saying, but it's flawed logic. Picking a top tier, viable character has NOTHING to do with your actual ability to play

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Why is play to win the only objective in the game? That might be the case for you... but it is certainly not the case for everyone.

Because when you're competing, that's all that matters, booboo.

And now, a word.

Dear Friends,

Take the tools you have, and do what you have to do.

The collective community ought to stop being so out of balance about the interactibles and learn to make them their best fucking friends before they end up nerfed to high hell too. I agree, they could use a tweak, but if they dont get one, you better be prepared if you plan to have any measure of success.
Nothing can win you a match faster in this game on certain stages than knowing your environment better than your opponent...or lose you a match faster than being a step behind an opponent who knows your terrain better than you.
Watch the sky and practice timing respawns.
Instigate pressure and strings toward the purpose of grabbing a robot or launching a rocket.
Save as much meter as you can to armor yourself if and when you interact.

This isn't just a fighter. This is Injustice.

Mortal Kombat made sweet love to Counter-Strike while Divekick watched sobbing in the other room.
And this is the joyous, dysfunctional child birthed from that dastardly day.

Sim Sala Bim Bamba Sala Du Sala Dim.

I love you all.

<3 Box.