What's new

Discussion - "Shut up and get better"

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
Ahhh yes. "Shut up and get better." It's a phrase that we've all heard at some point in our fighting game experiences. Whether your enraged about how you lost or whether you're innocently stating your opinion on why something might be overpowered or broken, you are almost guaranteed to be smacked a few times with "Shut up and get better," "Learn to play," or something along those lines.

While I do agree with the message itself, I just want to call to attention the hippocrisy that is often coupled with this statement.

For example: Player A picks a power character, and Player B picks an acrobat character. Stage select chooses Metro rooftop, a stage with respawning interactables (with stupid big hitboxes) that can be thrown by power characters, but not by acrobats. Player A is a decent player, but Player B demonstrates throughout the match that he is the better player at a fundamental level as far as punishes, spacing, blocking etc go. The match is close, however, at the end of the match, Player A emerges victorious by virtue of interactables.

Player B, obviously frustrated, says to Player A "wow, really? that's how I lose?" to which Player A responds "Shut up and get better."

Now, I understand that is a rather extreme example (and the purpose of this thread is to not pick apart that one example), however my point is the saying of "shut up and get better" is said by a player who is not very good at all, or at least won the match in a way that, to put it bluntly, isn't very indicative of the player having "skill" or "being better." To me, it would be like a boxing match in which one boxer payed the ref off and was delivering cheap shots the entire match, and after the other boxer disputes the ref says "shut up and get better."

TL;DR My question is this, basically... How much merit does "Shut up and get better" have if it's coming from the mouth (or fingers) from someone who either isn't very good at all, or is abusing something that is "questionably balanced" because they themselves know they aren't very good?

This essay was brought to you by: Corn Pops

ONCE YOU POP, THE FUN DON'T STOP

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Yes...the people that actually respond/state "shut up and level up", tend to be stupid and very linear in their thinking. When it comes to getting caught in a 50/50 vortex situation...there is no real "leveling" up because it's all about guessing correctly. In essence, we will always be leveling up do to more and more experience with said game/MU's.

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
Actions speak louder than words.

Instead of Player A being like "wow, really? that's how I lose?". He or she should simply smile to themselves and own Player B the next match by exploiting every action they make.

It continues to amaze me in this current climate of online gaming how everyone feels entitled to talk shit without repercussions.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Metro rooftop is a perfect example because I've noticed lately that if you choose a small char vs a power char people are picking that damn rooftop ALOT more often. Then when you make one comment about how lopsided it is, if you aren't a "well known pro player" you get the shut up and level up crap.

No. There's nothing to "level up" about being hit by a stupid ass robot 3/4's of the screen. Amongst other things people say to level up about.

Great post by the way TS.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Metro rooftop is a perfect example because I've noticed lately that if you choose a small char vs a power char people are picking that damn rooftop ALOT more often. Then when you make one comment about how lopsided it is, if you aren't a "well known pro player" you get the shut up and level up crap.

No. There's nothing to "level up" about being hit by a stupid ass robot 3/4's of the screen. Amongst other things people say to level up about.

Great post by the way TS.
you just need to adapt

DuskAlloy

You don't got the cash, You don't get the ass
You know the dont whine and get better phrase never applies to NRS games, if you bitch enough then they will nerf it, so why bother adapting when you can hop on the nerf train...

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
Really? I'd think whatever player you are A or B. You would know what your getting into while playing Injustice and would just move on.
Well yeah... but that has nothing to do with what I said. I was just saying the mere notion is fallacious. I mean you can literally just throw out any coherent argument and use the adapt argument. You can also use it for both sides of an argument... I mean it is such a stupid campaign. It is actually the same thing as saying "shut up and get better". I wasn't really referring to his example. Just making a general statement.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Also, on the other hand, I think a lot of people need to buff up their training/practice sessions. Too many just jump on and play...when they should be in the lab doing large/long combos 10-15 times in a row and such. For example, after fighting Reo's scorpion, I went straight to the lab and punished his teleport around 50 times and got to know his strings. You will only level up as much as you allow due to ACTUAL training/practice.

CHAINSAW305

Jus chill'n
Y
Well yeah... but that has nothing to do with what I said. I was just saying the mere notion is fallacious. I mean you can literally just throw out any coherent argument and use the adapt argument. You can also use it for both sides of an argument... I mean it is such a stupid campaign. It is actually the same thing as saying "shut up and get better". I wasn't really referring to his example. Just making a general statement.
Yea I know bro I didn't mean to respond to u.. However I changed my statement so you would see what I meant to say.... My bad!

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Scenario #1:
- Player A wants to rush down. Player B wants to zone.
- Player A can't get past the zoning, and loses because they didn't bother to learn an important aspect of this game.

Scenario #2:
- Player A wants to zone. Player B wants to punish with teleports.
- Player A gets blown up by teleport combos and loses because they didn't bother to learn an important aspect of this game.

Scenario #3:
- Player A wants to play without interactables. Player B wants to use and abuse interactables.
- Player A can't use or avoid interactables and loses because they didn't bother to learn an important aspect of this game.

I see complaints about all three scenarios on a regular basis. What is humorous is when a given player tells others to "learn to adapt" in one scenario then refuses to do so in another.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Player A should have played a power character. By picking a gadget or acrobat, you know you can be at a disadvantage. It's like a kano player losing to kabal... obviously the kabal player is smarter because he didn't pick fucking kano. Now the debate over whether certain aspects of the game are good is different. But both players have access to the same tools. Therefore the better player for that situation always wins and the other player shouldn't complain. crying about that kind of stuff is a scrub mentality.... play to win.