What's new

Define your understanding of 'high level'

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Because alot of 'high level' this and that has been thrown around lately, when I'm quite certain the people claiming it have no idea what they're talking about.

My definition of high level at the moment in terms of players in-game would be REO, Tom Brady and UsedForGlue.

High level understanding of the game is a different thing though, but still fair, players such as THTB, PND i2 Gaug3 and PerfectMindGame have always seemed to get this sort of thing.

I just don't get how players can be considered top when you see things like repeated D1s on block, using D1 in general as a counterpoke etc etc.

Post thoughts.

ryumanjisen

I only work in black,sometimes in very dark grey.
I just don't get how players can be considered top when you see things like repeated D1s on block, using D1 in general as a counterpoke etc etc.

Post thoughts.

Why not? A "high level player" is the one who knows all the tools he can use, and knows when to use these tools. If d1 works as a counterpoke...why not using it?

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Its a pretty broad term, but to over simplify, playing at high-level to me, means you've done your homework. From a playing stand point, You understand spacing, frame data, yomi/mind games, set-ups/shenanigans, their tools vs their opponents tools in a given situation, move priority etc etc. But it also has to do with your understanding of why things are the way that they are in a game. From a balance and design standpoint..what makes something fair or cheap in the big picture when others may only see the fair thing as cheap or vice versa. Also, it is very easy to stroke one's own ego when saying you play a game at a 'high-level', which is why it probably gets thrown around so much. Just my .02

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Why not? A "high level player" is the one who knows all the tools he can use, and knows when to use these tools. If d1 works as a counterpoke...why not using it?
Most d1s are negative enough on block that the other person would dare not do a d1. Characters like GL and Superman can fuck you up for thinking about pressing d1 again.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
m2dave is the best player ever... It must take alot of skill to always complain, I wish i had that much skill that I wanted everyone to be nerfed....

Though i'm not the best, I know high level play when I see it.
Someone who is going to punish you because they know this games frame data is going to be able to play high level, someone who doesn't rush in unsafely 24/7, Someone who knows all there is to know about their character and harnesses the strengths and even weaknesses of that character, Foxy I played you and I would say you're probably one of the best amongst the UK scene, Hopefully you'll be down at I49 and we can see that in play.

ryumanjisen

Most d1s are negative enough on block that the other person would dare not do a d1. Characters like GL and Superman can fuck you up for thinking about pressing d1 again.

Of course, there are times when you can't throw d1's like there's no tomorrow. But is one of the best options to counter some character's pressure.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Of course, there are times when you can't throw d1's like there's no tomorrow. But is one of the best options to counter some character's pressure.
Of course, but repeated d1s? That's a waste of the +12 or whatever frame advantage you get on hit if you have a d1 like that. And there are characters who can blow up d1s with MB b3/f3.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Its not about who is a high level player, that is irrelevant.

Its about high level gameplay.

High level game play can only consist between opponents that understand the game, the options they have, and respect what the opponent can do.

Sure you might convert all situational damage, air to airs, push blocking at the correct time, and punishing hard at all times etc. but if your opponent is trying to d1 and getting eaten by advantage offence where they could easily have dashed back and wiff punished, then the gameplay can be considered high level, as BOTH players are not playing the game at the highest level, only one is.

Watch Reo and Tom brady fight each other, not a single D1 in sight.

ryumanjisen

Of course, but repeated d1s? That's a waste of the +12 or whatever frame advantage you get on hit if you have a d1 like that. And there are characters who can blow up d1s with MB b3/f3.

Indeed. I think we agree repeated d1's are not a good sign. As I said, you know when to use the tools if you want to be considered a "high level player".

Repeated d1's? I see it all the time online. Enough said.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I agree with your first sentence of what high-level is.

The second version are tournament players. We as tournament players should know a lot about the game and what not.

Its a pretty broad term, but to over simplify, playing at high-level to me, means you've done your homework. From a playing stand point, You understand spacing, frame data, yomi/mind games, set-ups/shenanigans, their tools vs their opponents tools in a given situation, move priority etc etc. But it also has to do with your understanding of why things are the way that they are in a game. From a balance and design standpoint..what makes something fair or cheap in the big picture when others may only see the fair thing as cheap or vice versa. Also, it is very easy to stroke one's own ego when saying you play a game at a 'high-level', which is why it probably gets thrown around so much. Just my .02
That

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
but its more than attending tournaments, its results. what placing is one considered high level? top 8? 3?

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Thats not how injustice works.

If you and the opponent are at neutral frames or even if the opponent is slightly negative, there is absolutely no point in using a d1.

If you hit the opponent with a d1 because they were trying to string, then fine, i guess you will be over the moon with your advantage for a block string...but, if you simply made the same call with a dash back, you have a free wiff punish, and on the flipside, if the opponent dashed back on your d1 he could wiff punish you, and against WW or Superman, Sinestro, Killer Frost etc that is death.

Plus, when the opponent is negative, doing a d1 will just put you at negative frames again, a good batman player will smash you up with his standing 1 after blocking a d1.

D1 with Nightwing, and WW shield stance is a whole different beast, as they have 7 frames d1's with +5 on block (not sure about nightwing) making it a pain to deal with, but that is not thier defence or countering, that is actually a part of their offence, guessing how many D1's are coming (2-4) before they start their normals.

D1 is an MK thing, something I hated about the game massively, and I am glad it isn't something I have to even put up with in this game in about 90% of cases.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
I agree with your first sentence of what high-level is.

The second version are tournament players. We as tournament players should know a lot about the game and what not.
LoL quote of the century

'High level - Knowing a lot about the game and what not' :) I could not love this statement any more if I tried.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
I'd also like to add, that I believe there is a marked difference in having a high-level understanding of a game, and actually applying that knowledge and playing at that level in tournament.

Let's say we could time travel to 2014 and play ourselves. The 2014 version of these so called high level players would destroy the present version of themselves, therefore, they can't possibly be high level at this point in the game. Look at games like MK2 and UMK3. They are simplistic games, but they take years to master. Saying someone is playing Injustice at a high level after only 2 months is crazy to me.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
LoL quote of the century

'High level - Knowing a lot about the game and what not' :) I could not love this statement any more if I tried.
Well I'm sure you know a lot about the game but can all tournament players perform well in front of 10,000 people on stream? Can they easily take on other big names? Do you get randoms always get their own seeding in pools? Do all average players get invited to do beta testing for new games? There is a fine line between knowing about the game and being able to play it at a high level.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
To me a high player is someone who arrived top 8 of a major (you can be good and don't manage well your own stress). Despite that, there are only casuals or underdog top player, underdogs can get in the light when they decide to.