What's new

Tech Deathstroke Sword Spin Standing Reset 50/50

Crathen

Death is my business
I think this is the best one

We're worrying about them jumping out because you might get full combo punished just for guessing wrong. The strong side of this tech is that you get safe hit confirmable 50/50s. They can forward/backwards jump between f23 and b1, just not neutral jump.

Ok , they can jump forward out of b1 after f23 BUT they have to block f23 standing otherwise they get caught mid air , there's something in this game that gives more frame advantage if you block certain strings low , weird i know.

You can also check them with 3 after f23 and you're still +4 , sure you're not in range for a safe 50/50 but that's a good f3 range you're sitting in.

And i don't think characters with floaty jumps can jump it , only the faster ones like DS , Catwoman and such

Will lab it more tomorrow for sure.

ryublaze

Noob
Ok , they can jump forward out of b1 after f23 BUT they have to block f23 standing otherwise they get caught mid air , there's something in this game that gives more frame advantage if you block certain strings low , weird i know.

You can also check them with 3 after f23 and you're still +4 , sure you're not in range for a safe 50/50 but that's a good f3 range you're sitting in.

And i don't think characters with floaty jumps can jump it , only the faster ones like DS , Catwoman and such

Will lab it more tomorrow for sure.
On a side note, did you know that you get a free sword spin after f23? I can't bring myself to use f23 over his low/overhead mix-up but still gives you some nice pressure options.

archon

Noob
Any attack within range equal or less than 7 frames will trade or interrupt Deathstroke's d1. Stuffing b2 is even easier. I never tested if d1 into Sword Spin is a true combo but I should. I always preferred using the advantage of a d1 for a throw attempt or f23 (leading to his most devastating frame trap in the corner: b2xxQuick Fire, repeat Or b1u2 combo. Standing 23 is his safe option that catches jumping opponents and combos into Sword Spin to repeat).

Regardless, d1, b1 and standing 3 can be jumped. Standing 2, b2 and f2 catch jumping opponents. Standing 1 can catch a jumping opponent but the following attack in the string (1)2 will likely whiff.

It should be noted b1u2>f3>323>Sword Spin will always combo without crossing under point blank in the corner provided you time each attack correctly.

A great way to test the opponents options is to select Deathstroke as your training dummy and record him performing your setups. You can manually test escapes with your chosen character.

ryublaze

Noob
Any attack within range equal or less than 7 frames will trade or interrupt Deathstroke's d1. Stuffing b2 is even easier. I never tested if d1 into Sword Spin is a true combo but I should. I always preferred using the advantage of a d1 for a throw attempt or f23 (leading to his most devastating frame trap in the corner: b2xxQuick Fire, repeat Or b1u2 combo. Standing 23 is his safe option that catches jumping opponents and combos into Sword Spin to repeat).

Regardless, d1, b1 and standing 3 can be jumped. Standing 2, b2 and f2 catch jumping opponents. Standing 1 can catch a jumping opponent but the following attack in the string (1)2 will likely whiff.

It should be noted b1u2>f3>323>Sword Spin will always combo without crossing under point blank in the corner provided you time each attack correctly.

A great way to test the opponents options is to select Deathstroke as your training dummy and record him performing your setups. You can manually test escapes with your chosen character.
Ending with SS early in a combo like b1u2, f3, ss puts you at + advantage so they won't be able to trade/interrupt DS's d1. They can probably interrupt the b2 but they are taking a huge risk for little reward unless they're characters that can get big combos off of a d1.

D1 sword spin is a true combo which is why I almost always use it in the corner. Midscreen however I like to throw after a d1 on hit.

ryublaze

Noob
I'm assuming that this will be DS's go-to corner setup now, along with the f3 cross-up stuff. I think the best name for this is the Sword Spin Vortex.

So all ways to set this up:
b1u2, f3, sword spin
d1/b2/b22 MB sword spin, 32 sword spin
132, 32 sword spin
f3 (non-cross-up), 32 sword spin

Then you also have the option to throw once you condition the opponent to block after sword spin, but it might be risky cuz they can jump out of a throw.

ryublaze

Noob
So after further testing, I found that if you do the combo perfectly and spin them at the max height, you'll be at about +6 (I may be wrong). What this means is that characters with 6 frame d1s can interrupt DS's b2 and characters with 7 frame d1s can trade with it, but they have to just frame their d1 which is really hard to do and might not be worth the risk.

With that in mind, I also found that the opponent can OPTION SELECT the mix-up. All they have to do is hold down and press d1. This will block DS's low and at the same time will also give them a chance to interrupt/trade with DS's overhead. Again, unless the opponent can just frame their d1 every time, then it might be too risky for them.

Either DS's b2 would have to be 2 frames faster or his sword spin will have to give 2 more frames of advantage in order to make this mix-up 100% fullproof. Maybe even more frames because I'm pretty sure you're at less than +6 with DS's low/overhead starters into this standing reset.

GGA Slips
Vagrant
Mikman360
karaokelove
Rampage254
MITDJT
Crathen
TONY-T

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Yeah did spin give more advantage on hit pre-patch? If so then why'd they nerf it?

It's really weird, idk. It makes the frames even if you hit someone in a short juggle or grounded with it, disadvantage if you end a long combo with it, and a slight advantage if you hit them really high with it.

It used to just give consistent advantage no matter what (before the games release). Now it's just all inconsistent and stupid.

Vagrant

Noob
Yeah did spin give more advantage on hit pre-patch? If so then why'd they nerf it?

because if they gave someone with already very good zoning and safe hit confirmable 50/50's, a standing reset with significant advantage to it.... Then no one would have a chance...

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Do you guys think that we should ask NRS for a buff to his b2 or spin so this becomes more viable?

I don't want a Spin buff. I want a Spin FIX dammit. It shouldn't be borked like that. I don't see why they're having so much trouble with a move like that too. Kabal and Stryker were perfectly capable of standing resets in MK9.

ryublaze

Noob
I don't want to tag colt because I don't want to be blamed for any unnecessary buffs/fixes, but if his spin were to be changed to make this mix-up work, then this "sword spin vortex" would definitely define Deathstroke's corner game. I'm sure all previous Scorpion users from MK9 would be happy if DS had a vortex.

EDIT: Actually you know what screw it. colt

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
So after MB Spin after 32 in a b1u2 starter or f3 starter, you cancel into sword spin and follow up with F2 MB sword spin, B1 MB sword spin, or D1 sword spin, and do it all over again?

Am I correct in my comprehension of this fascinating set up?

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
So after MB Spin after 32 in a b1u2 starter or f3 starter, you cancel into sword spin and follow up with F2 MB sword spin, B1 MB sword spin, or D1 sword spin, and do it all over again?

Almost. NO MB Spin to set this up, just a normal one. You can lead into F2 and D1, but not B1.

ryublaze

Noob

you have to end combos with a regular sword spin.

b1u2, f3, sword spin
132, 32 sword spin
f3, 32 sword spin
d1/b2/b22 MB sword spin, 32 sword spin

Then you can follow up with d1 sword spin or b2 sword spin but the b2 isn't guaranteed because they can d1 you before your b2 comes out (they only have around 1 frame to do it). They can option select to block your d1 and at the same time interrupt your b2. I still think the d1/b2 mix-up is still viable because people won't be able to just frame their d1s every single time and there's always the possibility of your d1 stuffing their d1 if you delay yours by a few frames (not exactly sure on this).