What's new

Dash mechanic discussion

haketh

Noob
How?

Give me some good reasons that are not a bill.
First off if Backdashes are invul that helps zoners out because they usually don't have the best defensive options or ones that have a shitton more commitment, like I mentioned earlier being able to put something out, see a jump and run over and punish far jump ins, running under jumps to get out of corner, making it easy to get in position ETC./ Yeah it's gonna have benefits for offensive play but their are benefits for zoning, plus we still don't know things like full movesets and remember they can't just run free they have to amange meter.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
How?

Give me some good reasons that are not a bill.
It seems like a zoner would spend their endurance meter to use movement interactables after their opponent closes in. If you run down a zoner into a corner and spend all your endurance to do it, they could just pop out and the rushdown character wouldn't have any meter left to chase them.

The cove level appears to have quite a few movement interactables so it might be difficult to pin down a zoner if they're smart and they can save endurance.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I'm not sure I understand...

so if I dash in and then hit block... my character will start running?

If that's the case, I'm just gonna walk block. lol
you understand the run right

but you can tap block again to cancel the run into a block....... so instead of doing dash blockbutton dash blockbutton, you'll now do dash blockbutton blockbutton
simply adding a double tap to the block button will "dash block" so to speak.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
you understand the run right

but you can tap block again to cancel the run into a block....... so instead of doing dash blockbutton dash blockbutton, you'll now do dash blockbutton blockbutton
simply adding a double tap to the block button will "dash block" so to speak.
I assume the run is whenever you hit the block button after a dash.

dash double tap. I suppose that makes sense.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I assume the run is whenever you hit the block button after a dash.

dash double tap. I suppose that makes sense.
100% correct.

Basically.... if you react to someone vaulting out of the corner.... you can run at them and slide them VERY quickly on their recovery. Maybe even just Run and full combo punish depending on how fast and how quick your character is.

Kind of how in the gameplay trailer he chased down scorpion to do a slide yeah?

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
But, run cancels instead of dash canceling into normals would totally fuck up the combo system in mk9! It destroys combo potential!

Except, oh yeah. This isn't MK9, or MK: DA, or MK4, which were all games that played differently. And oh yeah, the combo system will be built around this to maximize it's potential. So maybe we should just chill and see how it works. We haven't even seen a combo yet!

God, there is so much stupid on this site lately.
I guess people can't have opinions that don't mirror yours. What everyone seems to be missing here is that based on **MY** personnel experience with games where you cannot cancel a dash with a normal and that have run jab pressure I was saying **I** have not enjoyed the combo systems and worry about MKX.

You guys need to learn to respect other people's opinions and have a conversation about differing opinions without calling people stupid....

Last edited:

Fractured_Shadow

People like you are why I absolutely hate pre-release discussions and often times make sassy comments about how crappy the MK community can be. You think this KILLS MKX for you, yet you haven't played the game, seen in-depth footage of someone testing what few mechanics we know of, or even seen 80% of the cast. You have already made a handful of judgments based off of 2 or 3 leaked details and less than 10 minutes of footage. You're probably the same person who will be asking for buffs and nerfs before the demo even releases.

Please, shut the hell up.
You do realize you told me to stop expressing my concerns based on....what exactly? I was saying **I** do not like games that i cannot cancel a dash with a normal and that I do not like run jab pressure.

As you said it is a pre-release discussion. You need to shut the hell up and let people speak their minds.

Last edited:

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I actually like this koncept a lot. It makes things technical which helps bring depth to the game and this allows better players to excel in tournaments. It also mixes in MK3 with other games so it still has that MK feel.

Fractured_Shadow

Definitely an opinion.

I hated the run button in the classic games, and run jab pressure is dumb (also an opinion).
I totally agree. However if you express that opinion you will be told that you have no idea how MKX will play, that you need to STFU, and that despite your past experience with a mechanic you don't like you cannot have any reservations about the upcoming title, and any attempt to discuss the aforementioned reservations will result in some epic flaming, right @RNLDRGN

I totally agree. However if you express that opinion you will be told that you have no idea how MKX will play, that you need to STFU, and that despite your past experience with a mechanic you don't like you cannot have any reservations about the upcoming title, and any attempt to discuss the aforementioned reservations will result in some epic flaming, right @RNLDRGN
I would just ignore those people.

I bet run cancels can be used essentially the same way as blockdashing, only you don't block immediately.

Run's probably there to eliminate the need for blockdashing.

@Fractured_Shadow you probably have the same combo opportunites, and even more because you can cover much more ground in a quick burst.
So am I going to have to create full combo's with the assumption that I have a full endurance bar?

Then also modify and shorten the combo's between strings in the situation that I am fluctuating between a 0-50% endurance bar and just kind of eyeball it?

Sounds lame.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
3) walking will be more dominant and necessary for good footsies.

The run and dash mechanics will be used in only certain situations instead of constantly to close distance. This makes the walk mechanic the dominant mobility tool for spacing. Situations where run and dashing might make sense is: back dashing, ice ball trades and you need to get in quickly, interactable usage, etc.
I don't think I've ever directly responded to a post of yours before, but I've always had a ton of respect for your opinions.

Holy shit, do I hope you're right on this one. An MK game with fast-paced footsies akin to the way KI works right now would be SPECTACULAR. Running and dashing and all that in moderation. Oh man, I would fucking go nuts over an MK game that had high-speed, more traditional footsies. I think the rest of the FGC would as well, judging by the appeal KI has had across the NRS/Capcom/Anime/Tekken communities.

haketh

Noob
So am I going to have to create full combo's with the assumption that I have a full endurance bar?

Then also modify and shorten the combo's between strings in the situation that I am fluctuating between a 0-50% endurance bar and just kind of eyeball it?

Sounds lame.
Hey welcome to fighting games that aren't NRS games where you have to change combos due to things

HOLY SHIT FIGHTING GAMES DO DIFFERENT THINGS HOW WOULD TYM USER KNOW THESE THINGS?

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
Read on TRMK that you hold block and then dash to begin running. Then you let go of block or cancel with whatever to stop running.
I saw that later too. Man, I'm excited the run mechanic sounds really cool. Watching SZ run and cancel into slide looks sooo effing slick man! This game looks so smooth and fast.