What's new

Dash mechanic discussion

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
How is the new bar of meter replenished? Block strings and specials?

JLU51306

Bzzzt *Paging Doctor Fate*
As much as everyone loved Dash-Cancels, I'm not surprised to see them virtually phased out, if I'm understanding you correctly, Tom.

I honestly don't mind the idea of run-cancels, and what not, but I'll need to actually test it for myself to see whether I'll like it.

Also, @Tom Brady where did here this, if you don't mind me asking?

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
This will kill the flow of combat imo and really limit mobility. Without the ability to dash block or cancel a dash with a normal than the combos are gonna be string specific (like injustice where string a goes with string b), zoning will be easier, and continuous pressure will be near impossible.

Honestley this kills MKX for me. I hate that i cannot create my own combo and am forced to use pre-determend linking strings...ugh this sucks

This will kill the flow of combat imo and really limit mobility. Without the ability to dash block or cancel a dash with a normal than the combos are gonna be string specific (like injustice where string a goes with string b), zoning will be easier, and continuous pressure will be near impossible.

Honestley this kills MKX for me. I hate that i cannot create my own combo and am forced to use pre-determend linking strings...ugh this sucks
it doesnt kill combos. In fact, the run feature enhances combos.

Fractured_Shadow

I bet run cancels can be used essentially the same way as blockdashing, only you don't block immediately.

Run's probably there to eliminate the need for blockdashing.
I don't see how that would work against characters like Sub Zero or a heavy zoner with a good horiz. projectile.

Imagine not being able to block quickly against Kenshi type character or a Shang Tsung type character... good luck walking in...

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I don't see how that would work against characters like Sub Zero or a heavy zoner with a good horiz. projectile.
Basically dash, run cancel, stop the run with block (since you can do this).

This actually could be better since you could block or avoid a projectile and cover MASSIVE ground, while still having the option to quickly go to block. Dashblocking as we know it would be a little clunkier to do, but that kind of trade-off is worth it, IMO, if you cover ground much better.

Idk if you've seen the run, but it's pretty damn fast.

Fractured_Shadow

Basically dash, run cancel, stop the run with block (since you can do this).

This actually could be better since you could block or avoid a projectile and cover MASSIVE ground, while still having the option to quickly go to block. Dashblocking as we know it would be a little clunkier to do, but that kind of trade-off is worth it, IMO, if you cover ground much better.
Depends on how quickly you can block after you start running.... if you are forced to dash, then run, THEN block and there are too many frames inbetween then projectiles or an ice clone will rape.

The biggest part of this is how terrible it is for combo potential

Fractured_Shadow

it doesnt kill combos. In fact, the run feature enhances combos.
In what way? Combos such as Cage's 2 dash 2 dash 2 or any combo with a repeating string linked with a dash would be impossible. You would only be able to link combos that did not require a dash in between because you cannot cancel a dash with a normal... it would take a HUGE lofty launch to link it with a run... but keep in mind im viewing the run cancel kinda like a reptile elbkw dash mid combo... i would need to see it in action to be sure

THTB

Depends on how quickly you can block after you start running.... if you are forced to dash, then run, THEN block and there are too many frames inbetween then projectiles or an ice clone will rape.

I doubt that, and even if that were the case, it wouldn't be much different from MK9, where nobody really timed their dashes that fast to where they were barely

Like Tom said, it enhances it. You cover a lot more ground with a flat out run than you probably would just having a dash, so really far launches now have actual combo potential, likely. Being able to do those combos is likely still possible since run still has the cancel property that dashing had.

Stop looking at just dash and start looking at the run also. You're ignoring major properties in the option.

Fractured_Shadow

nobody really timed their dashes that fast to where they were barely
Everytime you dash in to poke, or dash inbetween an input in a juggle you are canceling a dash quickly. Think about all the MK9 combos that REQUIRE a half dash inbetween inputs.... now think about Injustices combo system.... see what im trying to say?

Currently:

1. You CANNOT basic dash block or cancel your basic dash with an attack.
2. You can run (uses endurance meter) and cancel the run with attack/block/jump/back dash.
3. You can do a basic dash into a run cancel and cancel the run with attack/block/jump/back dash.
sounds fine to me. so movement cancelling is still there but not too dominant

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier

You are way to far ahead of yourself man, slow it down, and stop thinking of the new features as they would affect MK9 game play, this is a whole new game,

roll with it, looks really good, and interesting, I think the speed of the game is going to be insane.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
wow it sounds like theyre really trying to do some cool interesting things with a shitty run mechanic, cant wait to see if how it works out

THTB

Everytime you dash in to poke, or dash inbetween an input in a juggle you are canceling a dash quickly. Think about all the MK9 combos that REQUIRE a half dash inbetween inputs.... now think about Injustices combo system.... see what im trying to say?
Exactly, but my point is most people didn't cancel their dashes so fast that they barely covered ground. It was usually about as far or more of what I'm picturing the distance that would be covered from a run canceled to block.

Again, it's not just the dash that you have to look at. Look at what you can do with run. From seeing the first MKX demo footage, you can cancel into run pretty much as soon as you dash. Why would you not be able to cancel the run any quicker? Especially with what it's costing to do so.

Combos similar to the dash-based ones in MK9 are pretty likely, tbh. And due to run's nature in general (it's a continuous, fast movement...not like dashblocking which has very frequent stopping periods which slow you down), much more is possible. Will it require more buttons and being able to double tap block pretty fast? Yes. But you're essentially getting the same and more.