What's new

CrimsonShadow Introduces MKi - New MK9 Player Rankings

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
this doesnt have anything to do wtih personal opinions, im stating facts. you cant just say after evo or whatever because if you do rankings like that, detroit ballin would be the worst player on earth while everyone obviously knows detroit is top 5 player up there with pl, cdjr, reo, pig and those players. fact is maxter didnt closely win as much as his brother did, just saying pl and cdjr should be 2nd and 3rd would be more accurate.
That would be 100% innacurate.. Maxter is playing better currently than both of them. This isn't about who was doing better back in July!

I want a MM$ with @Dizzy
Sektor vs jonny cage!!
Sup gross

Agreed. This system is based on data and records. "I think so and so is better than whoever else" or "imo so and so is better than this player" statements don't matter. This system is great because it removes those discussions entirely. Those topics are completely different ideas.

PerfectMindGame: Consider your statements in regards to an anology (once again regarding sports rankings). Let's say that since the Superbowl last year, The 49ers are a better team than the giants because their record says so. Your statement would be like saying that since the Giants won the superbowl last year, they are still worthy of being placed above the 49ers currently, eventhough they have a worse record and haven't done as well.

Would that make sense? of course not. Again, this system removes opinions. It has nothing to do with skill. It has to do with placement and records.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
So this system just demonstrates who is doing better in relation to their wins. It's nothing more than a organized record of tournament results. Apart from that it doesn't prove nor mean anything. It doesn't take into account who the real top players are (in regards to skill). Like when CDJr used Kabal for a while it's surely not the same as when he uses his Godlike Jax. The system can not show "that". People shouldn't be worried about people's standing in this ranked system. At this point in this game just about anybody can beat anybody on any day. We shouldn't complain. The system is good at what it does. If it will be used for seeding i will not comment on that cause of my old school mentality that one should be able to fight anyone that's been put in front of you and I don't care for the seeding crying. I'm sure in time this will be a very accurate record of results especially for when Injustice comes out.

SLy

Noob
So this system just demonstrates who is doing better in relation to their wins. It's nothing more than a organized record of tournament results. Apart from that it doesn't proof nor mean anything. It doesn't take into account who the real top players are (in regards to skill). Like when CDJr used Kabal for a while it's surely not the same as when he uses his Godlike Jax. The system can not show "that". People shouldn't be worried about people's standing in this ranked system. At this point in this game just about anybody can beat anybody on any day. We shouldn't complain. The system is good at what it does. If it will be used for seeding i will not comment on that cause of my old school mentality that one should be able to fight anyone that's been put in front of you and I don't care for the seeding crying. I'm sure in time this will be a very accurate results record especially for when Injustice comes out.
This system is just for people who are interested in seeing peoples Wins/Lose Ratio. No one is going to dismiss a players skill off this.(At least I hope not)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
It doesn't take into account who the real top players are (in regards to skill). Like when CDJr used Kabal for a while it's surely not the same as when he uses his Godlike Jax.
Again, I'd be careful with this.. CD Jr. already brought Jax back, and he hasn't been dominating with him as he was before. This could still change, but the facts are that people have learned matchups and levelled up.

The Jax matchup in particular has changed, since people are now abusing his high strings and dash punches with regularity (see vs. Wafflez at SB:A).

That's why people shouldn't make assumptions about who they think is better based only on results from 7 months ago.

This is one of the biggest reasons we need an impartial system. CD Jr. is one of my absolute favorite players, and I'll continue to root for him no matter what -- but the fact that people have it 'stuck' in their head from Columbus-time that CD Jr. is automatically the best player in the world other than REO, affects their judgement and causes them to ignore the facts of what's really been going on in the last few months.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
CrimsonShadow, this is awesome, man. The site is even very clean and insanely easy to browse. I love that you can see everyone's history, and click on any name to get THEIR history. A+.

As time goes on, this will just become more and more accurate.

ecilA

Noob
I am not any sort of a tom brady. my name is allen ecil my tag is my last name with my first initial capitol. i apologize if having reservations about this ranking system means i must be a different member.

Nephrite

#Fujin4MK12BaseRoster
I appreciate the effort, but I just don't like the idea of two players who say ended up tied for 5th get different amount of pts just because in one part of the bracket there were more upsets. Why should one of those two players get penalized because some other players lost earlier. What can they possibly do about that? Should they punch in the face that seeded guy in their side of the bracket for losing early? Should that seeded player that got upset early on in the tourney feel bad not only because they lost their own match but also because they denied the chance of extra pts for one of those two players tied for 5th?

Furthermore... Say playerA is seed #1 and playerB is seed #2. Now, they're playing in a tourney and they're beating everyone on their way. They meet in winners finals & grand finals and playerA wins both times and takes the tourney. However, since in playerA's side of the tourney a bunch of upsets happened, but in playerB's no upsets happened, playerB ends up with more pts even though he finished behind playerA and got beaten twice in the same tourney by playerA. How would that make playerA feel?

Furthermore... Say a playerX is a new face on the scene and loses in a GF of a huge tourney, his first tourney ever. Now, after this tournament this player is considered "big thing" and constantly does well and wins over him are worthy of bonus pts so everyone that beats him in future tournies gets bonus pts, but that "unlucky guy" that beat him first got none even though this player turned out a monster. Will that "unlucky guy" feel robbed?

Another thing to consider, and this was evident during NFGR (KTPs are the witness)-> we know how much MK players LOVE checking out their ranking and discuss it. So... Another HYPOTHETICAL situation: REO and PL are winning all the tournies throughout the year and they're the only two with a chance to finish the year ranked as #1. Now, in this final tourney which will decide the final ranking, one of REO's teammates who's on PL's side of the bracket and who's also seeded, decides to lose on purpose early on just to deny PL a chance to score those bonus pts. Now, REO beats PL in winner's final, but PL beats REO in GF so they nullify their own bonus pts, but REO finishes ahead in the year-end ranking (even though PL won the tourney!) 'cause of his teammate losing on purpose in PL side of the bracket. I want to say I just used REO & PL to demonstrate the problem, I am not saying any of their teammates would do something like this. I just want to point-out possible problems with the system.

I repeat, I appreciate the effort, but I just don't like the pts system. Imo, tennis system is best for MK, the bigger the tourney the more pts you get, but whoever loses in QF gets the same amount of pts regardless of who they beat on the way to QFs. Afterall, it's not their fault other seeded players performed bad (maybe they came drunk to the tourney, or got disqualified so why should any of these quarterfinalists be penalised for bad behavior of other people).

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I appreciate the effort, but I just don't like the idea of two players who say ended up tied for 5th get different amount of pts just because in one part of the bracket there were more upsets. Why should one of those two players get penalized because some other players lost earlier. What can they possibly do about that? Should they punch in the face that seeded guy in their side of the bracket for losing early? Should that seeded player that got upset early on in the tourney feel bad not only because they lost their own match but also because they denied the chance of extra pts for one of those two players tied for 5th?

Furthermore... Say playerA is seed #1 and playerB is seed #2. Now, they're playing in a tourney and they're beating everyone on their way. They meet in winners finals & grand finals and playerA wins both times and takes the tourney. However, since in playerA's side of the tourney a bunch of upsets happened, but in playerB's no upsets happened, playerB ends up with more pts even though he finished behind playerA and got beaten twice in the same tourney by playerA. How would that make playerA feel?
The thing that people who make these arguments don't understand, is that that's not actually how things work out. The formula is very good at what it does; if a player beats you twice in a tournament, you aren't going to come out ahead of them.

Mathematically in a double elim tournament you can lose twice. That's it. So once you lose twice, you're eliminated, and whoever is still in the tournament continues to gain points as long as they continue winning.

Because of this, players who get farther in tournaments also end up receiving more points.

Also consider that each time someone beat you, they gained points and you lost points. So the point gap between you is affected both by your loss and their win.

So most 'what ifs' are based on not knowing what actually happens in practice. It's very different from what you might think.

That and, the tennis system is very innacurate for MK.. And NFG is proof of that.

CrimsonShadow

I respect your system and since I am not going to compete for a while, I request that you add in also in T13 and Seasons Beating because those are my best tournaments. I would like to defend my 25th spot to the last possible minute.

Also please put the top 32 instead of 25. 32 will make it look more stacked.

Tolkeen

/wrists
CrimsonShadow

I respect your system and since I am not going to compete for a while, I request that you add in also in T13 and Seasons Beating because those are my best tournaments. I would like to defend my 25th spot to the last possible minute.

Also please put the top 32 instead of 25. 32 will make it look more stacked.
Thanks to my hard work, Seasons Beatings will be added shortly, to everyone who attended is "you're welcome" :).

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Wow man. This is seriously impressive. Good shit man, you're definitely an asset to our fucked up little family.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Season's Beatings is in -- thanks to Tolkeen for organizing the info. I'm going to drop in some minor name fixes as well, later today.