What's new

Coronavirus (Covid-19) Discussion

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
This crisis keeps proving how incompetent Trump is at being a political leader.

Trump is pretty xenophobic though, so it's not surprising people would question his motivations, even if there was merit to his travel ban.
Riiiiight, I'm not saying hes not, but the travel ban necessary, if anything it didnt happen soon enough.

I also want to say, again to all of you south of the border, please be as safe as you can!
A couple of months ago, I went to emergency care because I had a high fever, persistent cough, and shortness of breath because of the influenza B virus. The doctor ordered me to stay at home for more than a week, yet my health insurance, which is supposed to be one of the better ones in the country, sent me a bill for $3,000+ claiming that the emergency visit did not justify an emergency criterion. LOL. Nonetheless, I consider myself fortunate but feel so bad for many fellow Americans who are being abused by the country's healthcare system.

Please get well soon and best of luck.
As a non-American on the outside looking in, all I can say is "wow."

Here, health care is a Provincial matter, and for Ontario, it's a system that's funded by your taxes. Each tax return, you need to pay a percentage based on your earnings, and that grants you access to almost all standard medical care at no charge, including visits to emergency. Ambulances, dental, cosmetic surgery, and other specialized things (like my own treatment for my Crohn's Disease) are not covered, but for the later, there's government funding available for it, so I'm still not paying a cent beyond my taxes!

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Im still just having such a hard time wrapping my head around how something that happens in one part of China fucks over the whole world... TBH I only partially blame the people that eat those foods, the only reason those wet markets exist is because people were starving to death. Shit sucks

Im still just having such a hard time wrapping my head around how something that happens in one part of China fucks over the whole world... TBH I only partially blame the people that eat those foods, the only reason those wet markets exist is because people were starving to death. Shit sucks
It's a highly contagious virus, and intercontinental travel today is very accessible and relatively fast. It actually makes a lot of sense, and the best way for a country to have stopped it early would have been to lock down their boarders and ban all citizens from leaving the country.

For North America at least, US or Canada, that would never have flown with everyone fine and only the odd case in the countries.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
This is a good read for anyone who wants to know more about wet markets:
"This health crisis must serve as a wake-up call for the need to end unsustainable use of endangered animals and their parts, as exotic pets, for food consumption and for their perceived medicinal value."

This was my favorite part. Perceived medicinal value, how ironic. Morons....

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Angola 13 active cases, 4 recovered
No signs of outbreak yet, 7 days without new cases.

Mass tests next week, 10 more days, hopefully at least we will be able to go back to our normal lives sooner than many.

Also my deepest condolences to all my bros in US and all over the world, this shit sucks stay safe everyone

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Going to try and get tested tomorrow. Found a free testing place that is drive through. Hopefully they will have openings tomorrow, they had none today.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Are you feeling sick or anything?
Yes. I don’t feel the sickest I’ve ever felt or anything, just feel sick. Chills, chest tightening, blood pressure keeps going really low, sore throat on and off, and temperature was a little high yesterday (99.7) but the thermometer I have is a piece of junk and isn’t working today. The places I called said with my symptoms I should 100% get tested and the earliest opening is Friday.

Can’t return to work until the results come back. Which is fine by me, that’s what I wanted to begin with.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Yes. I don’t feel the sickest I’ve ever felt or anything, just feel sick. Chills, chest tightening, blood pressure keeps going really low, sore throat on and off, and temperature was a little high yesterday (99.7) but the thermometer I have is a piece of junk and isn’t working today. The places I called said with my symptoms I should 100% get tested and the earliest opening is Friday.

Can’t return to work until the results come back. Which is fine by me, that’s what I wanted to begin with.
Sorry :( Hope you feel better. Load up on Vitamin C and D and take some zinc lozenges if you have them. Don't OD on anything, just take a normal amount. Lay on your side or stomach if you feel your lungs tighten up.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
"This health crisis must serve as a wake-up call for the need to end unsustainable use of endangered animals and their parts, as exotic pets, for food consumption and for their perceived medicinal value."

This was my favorite part. Perceived medicinal value, how ironic. Morons....
I mean, every country has their ridiculous things. Here in America we load up on guns, ammunition, and stuff to kill people like it’s going out of style. Which I’m sure looks moronic to the rest of the developed world.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I mean, every country has their ridiculous things. Here in America we load up on guns, ammunition, and stuff to kill people like it’s going out of style. Which I’m sure looks moronic to the rest of the developed world.
My eyes just rolled so hard they left my head and rolled out the front door.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I'll meet you half way on this, I'd say the people who are legitimately insane with guns are in the minority. Most people (myself included) own guns to defend themselves, some people are into competitive shooting, or hunting. None of that causes a pandemic, not to mention a gun only kills people in range, and most of the time deliberately, not several time zones away.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'll meet you half way on this, I'd say the people who are legitimately insane with guns are in the minority. Most people (myself included) own guns to defend themselves, some people are into competitive shooting, or hunting. None of that causes a pandemic, not to mention a gun only kills people in range, and most of the time deliberately, not several time zones away.
I can understand the feeling of wanting to own one, but I bet that maybe 1-2% of the people who buy lethal weapons end up actually defending themselves.

It’s more that Americans are attached to the idea of defending themselves from a perceived threat, and that idea causes them to go out and buy everything from handguns to civilian-style versions of traditional military arms.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I can understand the feeling of wanting to own one, but I bet that maybe 1-2% of the people who buy lethal weapons end up actually defending themselves.
If that's true, it's still a lot of people. You also have to consider the fact that home invasions/break ins when people are actually home are a lot less common than in other countries. Mostly because owning a weapon actually works as a deterrent.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way

It’s more that Americans are attached to the idea of defending themselves from a perceived threat, and that idea causes them to go out and buy everything from handguns to civilian-style versions of traditional military arms.
Sure, but as a school shooting survivor I'm never going to not own a gun.

Anarchist_Gib

Shao Kahn main, please your send prayers!

Ever since the 1993 survey conducted by Gertz and Kleck the number of owners using firearms for self defense HAS in fact been solidly around the 1% mark. This amounts to around 2 million instances annually(1-1.5 million for DGU by households) . The 2013 study ordered by the CDC found that annual estimates of defensive uses of firearms outstripped violent crimes involving them by margins ranging from 200,000 to 2.5 million.

Anarchist_Gib

Shao Kahn main, please your send prayers!
Sure, but as a school shooting survivor I'm never going to not own a gun.
I'm sorry you had to endure something so tragic, but am appreciative that you are taking the steps to ensure the safety of yourself and those around you. As a former firearms broker it was my pleasure to enable people to be their own first line of defense, and is the ONLY aspect of the industry that I miss dearly.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster

Sorry :( Hope you feel better. Load up on Vitamin C and D and take some zinc lozenges if you have them. Don't OD on anything, just take a normal amount. Lay on your side or stomach if you feel your lungs tighten up.
Don't forget standing up straight as tall as you can and reaching your arms straight up as high as possible expands your lungs and allows for their full capacity if you're having trouble breathing. You sports players and runners already know that I'm sure

I had done my taxes and looks like it was Direct Deposited.

Needing his name on the checks is about as pure an example of what drives him as anything else could be. You want to be shocked by it, but all I can think is "of course."

There is enough chatter about it that maybe the idea gets revisited.
My mom is a fucking Trump supporter. No matter how many times he does something that effects her directly and fucks her over she keeps supporting him. I just told her about the checks thing and she just laughed about it instead of being angry. Angry that we need it now and it's being delayed due to some assholes ego.