What's new

Community Real Talk Thread - IGAU and MK9 Players, Please Read

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I love this post so much, I wanna take it behind a middle school and get it pregnant!

@NY-Shadow
First of all, most tournaments have a good time period before or after the tournament for plenty of casuals.

Second, had I not gone to chinatown arcade to play street fighter, then eventually to tournaments, I wouldnt have met two of the best friends I could ever hope for.
Better buy it dinner first

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Nothing beats a cumfy blanket and a foot massage on the bed while kicking major ass online :)
I mean there's a time and place for the comfort and casual convenience aspect of online gaming but, you're claiming that it's the "heart and soul" of competitive gaming. Enough to eclipse and eliminate an offline tournament scene. That's just not true.

I like kicking back and watching my favorite football team on a nice lazy Saturday but, I'd MUCH rather go in person.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?

Y'all obviously have some SERIOUS personal issues with each other and should deal with it via PMs and not public statements. When something like this
I wanted to post some stuff from the NRS side on all of this, but it devolved into name calling and general jerkery. I'll just let you guys be.
has been said, we got too many red flags and had to sit out for the rest of the game. Therefore, closed.

#G4S

SZSR

Noob
I mean there's a time and place for the comfort and casual convenience aspect of online gaming but, you're claiming that it's the "heart and soul" of competitive gaming. Enough to eclipse and eliminate an offline tournament scene. That's just not true.

I like kicking back and watching my favorite football team on a nice lazy Saturday but, I'd MUCH rather go in person.
I think it's like staying in the comfort of your own home to watch a Disney movie, or paying to go to Disney World and experience it yourself. Some people like one over the other, different strokes for different folks.

Although I agree that I don't think online will ever totally replace the camaraderie and fun you get when you attend a tournament. The problem is, it can't be explained, you have to experience a tournament to know what it feels like.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
What NRS intervention are you referring to?
What NRS intervention are you referring to? I said the community.
What happened with Injustice Society?

I keep hearing it mentioned in passing but have never been told what the problem was.
For like the 101923192398120398123th time.

The goal of IJS was to make a portal for the competitive Injustice scene. It was going to have news stories about the game, a page for upcoming tournaments, one for tournament results, a member map, a section dedicated to guides, a ranking system for offline and online, a section for streams/podcasts/shows. Phase and STH were planning to do videos with player profiles, videos and pictures for tournaments, maybe even organize some at some point. The goal was to do everything that TYM was incapable of doing, since TYM is basically just a forum.

Some people didn't see it that way. They said we were gonna destroy the community and blah blah blah. We got a lot of support from some of you and you know I love every single one of you who did say nice things to me. But there were also a lot of douchebagey people from "other sites" who literally made a campaign to shit on it. I used to click on random streams of MK/SF/Marvel just to find people literally saying IJS was garbage as fuck. We got a couple of DDoS attacks (remember the OBS shout out? yeah, turns out we got attacked there as well). Then someone found my email and started sending death threats. I lol'd because what, they're gonna come to Mexico? But either way, that kind of stuff was discouraging. Then we the admins had a fight about the response of the site and the goal of it, some decided to quit, others didn't get the response they expected for their videos and they dropped off as well. I tried to keep it going for as long as possible, but the fact that I live so far away and the fact that I couldn't afford to invest more money (we were literally broke as fuck) I had to just quit.

It's nice that MrGotMerked, D4, Pherleece and a bunch of other people stayed there but the original plan went straight to hell.
Oh for anyone wondering and telling me I did it for the "money", my earnings so far from that site have been around -$300 bucks and -2 months of my life.

Now I would love to do something like that for MKX but seeing it would literally go the same route as IJS, I kinda don't. At least not the same way.
I think part of the problem is not many people are so excited to physically travel to bar or a pool hall or a comic book store to have to wait in line for 10-20 minutes to play a game one match, lose and get back in line for 20-30 minutes just to play a second match to possibly lose again lol. You'll spend 4-5 hours at a tournament just to play 4-5 matches lol, why do that when you can play 100 matches at home back to back and without having to travel and pay an entrance fee. to be honest tournaments suck for most players, its only fun and exciting for the guys in the finals.
Just to extend some thoughts on the MK community in general. Live tournaments have their uses but the online community is where the heart and soul of the MK FGC is strong and alive. Fighting games in general, more so with Mortal Kombat being such a brutal and violent game not many players would do well in tournaments especially from the emotional perspective that can affect their game play a great deal because of the stress and emotional uproar fighting games like MK can have on players. Most players who play MK online get very, very angry when they lose and more so if trash talking is being done via messages after matches like "go practice noob" or "U suck Bitch" or "ahahahahahah" .

I'm an adult woman who loves fighting games especially MK since I was a teenager and I've never liked the low female presence in the tournaments that I've been to which is one of the reasons I don't go to support tournaments anymore. As disrespectful and hateful as the online FGC is, I prefer staying at home and playing online than going to actual tournaments to just sit and wait 30 minutes to play someone. I must say though that players like TylerLantern, Hood_Fresh, and COLT have been great contributors, by their youtube videos, to the hateful and disrespectful behavior we experience among fg players online today. With all their commentary videos exposing online players doing infinites, pulling, and hate messaging during the Mk vs DC years created a swell of copycat youtubers that just fed the online hate beast. I think the days of the live MK tournaments are coming to an end but online players will always be there. the future of tournament play I believe will be online.
I agree with @Zoidberg747 100%, I know, the world is gonna end! Unless you literally didn't speak to anyone and sat in a corner, I can't see waiting 5 hours to play 5 matches happening at all. I've been to 6 majors in my life, and that hasn't happened once. You either get casuals at the venue, or you get casuals at the hotel. Some of my fondest tournament memories are playing with @Under_The_Mayo and the mexican community until 7am for a tournament to start 3 hours later.

And I completely disagree with the "heart and sould of MK FGC is online". Online all you can find are hundreds of completely ignorant people. People who don't give a shit about the inner mechanics of the game, because they literally don't have to. You'll never see an online warrior talking about counterpokes, anti cross ups or even anti airs. I've received like 5 different messages from 5 different people telling stuff like "I beat Tom Brady" and "I babied Curbo", believing online has some sort of legitimacy. If those people appeared offline, they'd find the game is COMPLETELY different. Online stops growth, you can't learn anything there but basic outlines about how the gameplay works. I'm sorry but if the "beating heart of MK" are laggy warriors that can't read frame data, then MK might as well be death and buried. Also Hood_Fresh is a scrub who didn't even sign up at Dallas because he was scared of getting exposed (he did, at hotel casuals, didn't even win once), and colt is the developer of the game lol.

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
Let me clarify a few things for you.
This is a bit disingenuous.
If someone says their tournament experience is sub-par the response should be to understand why they feel that way, not to tell them they're wrong.

And by the way, if NY-Shadow lives in NY as her tag implies, then it most likely is not easy to get to any local. Odds are that getting to something involves tolls or trains that are at least as much as the venue and entry fee.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS

You don't get out on the field and and participate at a football game. You just pay $60+ to watch other people participate on the field having fun. All the while you sit from a far distance seeing the players the size of scorpion and sub-zero on a 20 in screen while buying overpriced beer and lousy hot dogs. Then getting pissed because you have to go to the bathroom two floors down. That's not the same as actually playing as a character in a video game. lol

Zoidberg747

If someone says their tournament experience is sub-par the response should be to understand why they feel that way, not to tell them they're wrong.

And by the way, if NY-Shadow lives in NY as her tag implies, then it most likely is not easy to get to any local. Odds are that getting to something involves tolls or trains that are at least as much as the venue and entry fee.
Saying that tournaments suck for everyone but those in the finals is wrong though, as many people could attest.

I am actually not trying to get her out to tournaments, as it is obvious she does not want to go(which is fine). My only reason for responding was so others who may be thinking of going to tournaments are not persuaded by someone who obviously had one or two bad experiences and is generalizing the whole tourney scene.

Edit:

o fuk CCC-COUNTER UNLOCK!
Don't mess with an admin's thread son!

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Saying that tournaments suck for everyone but those in the finals is wrong though, as many people could attest.

I am actually not trying to get her out to tournaments, as it is obvious she does not want to go(which is fine). My only reason for responding was so others who may be thinking of going to tournaments are not persuaded by someone who obviously had one or two bad experiences and is generalizing the whole tourney scene.
Maybe I should say then that you're right about how my experiences should not be geared to discourage people from attending tournaments. You sound like one of the top players at tournaments who get to experience the rush of the crowd during finals, a feeling I have never experienced. I'm sorry if I upset you sweety.

eolson3

Noob
What NRS intervention are you referring to? I said the community.

For like the 101923192398120398123th time.

The goal of IJS was to make a portal for the competitive Injustice scene. It was going to have news stories about the game, a page for upcoming tournaments, one for tournament results, a member map, a section dedicated to guides, a ranking system for offline and online, a section for streams/podcasts/shows. Phase and STH were planning to do videos with player profiles, videos and pictures for tournaments, maybe even organize some at some point. The goal was to do everything that TYM was incapable of doing, since TYM is basically just a forum.

Some people didn't see it that way. They said we were gonna destroy the community and blah blah blah. We got a lot of support from some of you and you know I love every single one of you who did say nice things to me. But there were also a lot of douchebagey people from "other sites" who literally made a campaign to shit on it. I used to click on random streams of MK/SF/Marvel just to find people literally saying IJS was garbage as fuck. We got a couple of DDoS attacks (remember the OBS shout out? yeah, turns out we got attacked there as well). Then someone found my email and started sending death threats. I lol'd because what, they're gonna come to Mexico? But either way, that kind of stuff was discouraging. Then we the admins had a fight about the response of the site and the goal of it, some decided to quit, others didn't get the response they expected for their videos and they dropped off as well. I tried to keep it going for as long as possible, but the fact that I live so far away and the fact that I couldn't afford to invest more money (we were literally broke as fuck) I had to just quit.

It's nice that MrGotMerked, D4, Pherleece and a bunch of other people stayed there but the original plan went straight to hell.
Oh for anyone wondering and telling me I did it for the "money", my earnings so far from that site have been around -$300 bucks and -2 months of my life.

Now I would love to do something like that for MKX but seeing it would literally go the same route as IJS, I kinda don't. At least not the same way.

I agree with @Zoidberg747 100%, I know, the world is gonna end! Unless you literally didn't speak to anyone and sat in a corner, I can't see waiting 5 hours to play 5 matches happening at all. I've been to 6 majors in my life, and that hasn't happened once. You either get casuals at the venue, or you get casuals at the hotel. Some of my fondest tournament memories are playing with @Under_The_Mayo and the mexican community until 7am for a tournament to start 3 hours later.

And I completely disagree with the "heart and sould of MK FGC is online". Online all you can find are hundreds of completely ignorant people. People who don't give a shit about the inner mechanics of the game, because they literally don't have to. You'll never see an online warrior talking about counterpokes, anti cross ups or even anti airs. I've received like 5 different messages from 5 different people telling stuff like "I beat Tom Brady" and "I babied Curbo", believing online has some sort of legitimacy. If those people appeared offline, they'd find the game is COMPLETELY different. Online stops growth, you can't learn anything there but basic outlines about how the gameplay works. I'm sorry but if the "beating heart of MK" are laggy warriors that can't read frame data, then MK might as well be death and buried. Also Hood_Fresh is a scrub who didn't even sign up at Dallas because he was scared of getting exposed (he did, at hotel casuals, didn't even win once), and colt is the developer of the game lol.
Subject confusion on my part. I apologize.

E

eolson3

Noob

That's assuming she is in NYC. There are some very rural areas in New York.

E

Zoidberg747

Maybe I should say then that you're right about how my experiences should not be geared to discourage people from attending tournaments. You sound like one of the top players at tournaments who get to experience the rush of the crowd during finals, a feeling I have never experienced. I'm sorry if I upset you sweety.
I went 1-2 for like my first ten tournaments. Only recently have I managed to even win more then one match. I don't even play the game anymore and still go to tournaments. I am far from a "top" player.

As far as your post "upsetting" me, please don't flatter yourself.

SZSR

Noob
I went 1-2 for like my first ten tournaments. Only recently have I managed to even win more then one match. I don't even play the game anymore and still go to tournaments. I am far from a "top" player.

Settle down now guys, don't get personal. Things are just getting lost in translation.

EDIT: This is also a warning, don't push it guys.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS

So you just go to watch?

OG Mannimal

OG "OG Mannimal" Mannimal
Um, you definitely don't have to be a top player to get hype in the crowd. Do you have to be a professional footballer to get excited in the crowd at the World Cup?

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
You're going to a place where there are dozens of people who love the same hobby as you do, who are as nerdy as you are, and they're all really damn nice. Even if they don't know you, they encourage you wether you're losing or winning, and they'll be more than happy to go out and hang out with you.

It has nothing to do with "getting a rush" or just "going to watch". You literally go to enjoy the community.

Being competitive is just a cool side dish.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
@CrimsonShadow, we will know how this will turn out when MKX comes out. If ppl start just dropping IGAU by the way side, we'll know that with every new game that comes out in this community, we'll let the older game just die.
@CrimsonShadow I'm all for people still playing Injustice and MK9, but there's a big reason people drop the "current" NRS game for the new one, and it's mainly NRS's fault.

Games like SF4 and MvC3 will still be played for years to come. The main reason isn't the community, it stems from the fact that Capcom sticks with their game and usually comes out with a newer version every year. We don't get that treatment. We get many pacthes, updates, and balance changes, sure. But based on MK9 and INJ, that all stops within around a year of the games lifespan. NRS has almost ZERO reason business wise to cater to it's tournament or even hardcore players a year after the game has been out. There's way more tournament and/or serious Capcom fighting game players than there is for NRS games, and the business models for both companies reflect that.

It's extremely hard to stick with a game in today's era when you know it will be exactly the same after the "final" update, especially in regards to fighters. If MK9 and INJ got the "once a year huge update/new version of the game", A LOT of people would still avidly play both games. But why would you stick with an old, washed up game that has been abandoned by its own creators, when a brand new game made by those very same creators comes out and will get the attention from them for at least a year after its release?

It's not the communities fault, not this time.

@CrimsonShadow I'm all for people still playing Injustice and MK9, but there's a big reason people drop the "current" NRS game for the new one, and it's mainly NRS's fault.

Games like SF4 and MvC3 will still be played for years to come. The main reason isn't the community, it stems from the fact that Capcom sticks with their game and usually comes out with a newer version every year. We don't get that treatment. We get many pacthes, updates, and balance changes, sure. But based on MK9 and INJ, that all stops within around a year of the games lifespan. NRS has almost ZERO reason business wise to cater to it's tournament or even hardcore players a year after the game has been out. There's way more tournament and/or serious Capcom fighting game players than there is for NRS games, and the business models for both companies reflect that.

It's extremely hard to stick with a game in today's era when you know it will be exactly the same after the "final" update, especially in regards to fighters. If MK9 and INJ got the "once a year huge update/new version of the game", A LOT of people would still avidly play both games. But why would you stick with an old, washed up game that has been abandoned by its own creators, when a brand new game made by those very same creators comes out and will get the attention from them for at least a year after its release?

This is also true, the patch situation is a huge part in why some just stop playing. But like you said, business wise IGAU and MK9 are huge successes and both got a lot of sales. Yearly patches does cater to ppl waiting it out then finally getting that patch that was wanted for a year by many. We'll see how MKX does patching tho. Overall I think the community and nrs share some fault to how mk9 turned out. But things can change if people are willing to do that.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
  1. i love TYM
  2. I haven't been here long, but I've played MK since the arcade days
  3. People will have their opinions, especially hardcore MK fans
  4. People will have their opinions, especially Injustice fans
  5. The fact that this NRS ass kissing rant has to be made every other day is getting old.
MK fans have made it clear what would fly and what would't fly 3 years ago. If you're surprised that we don't like interactive stages and non-cannon characters, then you're a fucking moron. Welcome to the world of MK. There's as much bullshit flaming as there is hype. That's why this community is edgy, fresh, and fun. Accept the fact that MK:X is a hybrid of MK9 story with Injustice mechanics. Game design is no longer a hobby, and is 100% about profit. Why would NRS do anything but try to do everything to please their divided community?

Zoidberg747

So you just go to watch?
I go to play, hang out with and meet people, and to watch. Ive met a lot of very cool people through my local scene.

Settle down now guys, don't get personal. Things are just getting lost in translation.

EDIT: This is also a warning, don't push it guys.
I will try to curb my sarcasm. It'll be really hard because internets, but i'll try.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.

@tylerlansdown

Awsome awsome post juggs....