What's new

Community Real Talk Thread - IGAU and MK9 Players, Please Read

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Alright. It's time to bury this hatchet once and for all. After seeing discussion after discussion in thread after thread, it's time to get down to real talk about a few issues. If you want to sort them out, please do it here so that we don't have to have this same conversation in every single thread.

I realize that we have new members of the community, along with people coming back who haven't been as active, and various other people who don't know the entire story. So I want to take a trip down memory lane and also get us ready for the future.

Some points I wanted to make:

1) MK9 died of natural causes. The writing was on the wall long before Injustice was even a complete product. The reasons are the things which players complained about for months, begged Ed for patches for ("the last patch"), fought about, and left the community over.

This doesn't mean that MK9 wasn't a good game or wasn't exciting (I personally really loved it, and I still do). But after the golden period when MLG was new and everything was exciting, and the fun of EVO 2012, our forum here was full of nonstop complaining, fearmongering, worry over the state of the game and its future. There were a lot of futile efforts to beg for one last bit of love to keep the game alive. A lot of people quit the game, quit going to to tournaments etc. because they were fed up with the way things turned out. There was endless discussion of Kabal, inescapable resets, OP zoning, etc.

Luckily, MK9 was announced for a 3rd year at EVO -- and because our tournament scene is so swayed by what happens with EVO selection, that gave us just enough of a shot of energy to make it to EVO 2013. But if you weren't here, don't be confused; we had our struggles and the people who stayed with the game definitely weathered the storm. Hearing Ed talk at UFGT, it's clear that he is well aware of what happend, and hopefully he won't let MKX go down the same path.

2) If the tournament community eventually moves on from Injustice, it will also happen naturally. While I'm all for encouraging people to support all the games in our scene, if IGAU develops similar problems to MK9, it will fall by the wayside for the very same reasons.

As of now, we've been lucky, and with a bit of help from Paulo and crew, the game is in a better state balance-wise than MK9 was in June 2012. But there are still some threats on the horizon (like MMH), and while you often hear admonishments against making complaints, know that much the same things will happen to IGAU should MMH or other characters reach some kind of breakaway dominance over the Injustice tournament scene.

Because of this, I encourage people to really think carefully before they try to stop others from talking about any real issues the game has. If it comes down to it, the chance of a hotfix might one day be the difference between saving the Injustice scene and having people drop the game en masse for other pursuits. "Just deal with it" isn't always effective when there's a brand new game on the horizon like MKX.

3) MKX will be judged on its own merit. Don't expect it to magically solve all of the community's problems, re-unite players who refuse to work together, or put an end to any sort of complaining. Moreover, MKX will be held to a higher standard than any of the previous games. Expect people to be highly critical and vocal about what they don't like.

Personally, I have really high hopes for this game, and I think that it's in good hands. But to everyone, this isn't the time to be complacent -- if we want our community to shine, we need to WORK for it. Stop thinking that MKX is going to give us magical tournament numbers and powers forever, and start working to expand your scene and bring more people into it. Think about what you can do to help reach people who've never thought about playing competitive MK before.

We will have to fight through some of the same issues and struggle with some of the same struggles we had before. If we don't come together with a strong voice, we will eventually be thrown into ballroom corners, denied stream time and treated as a second-tier stepchild of the FGC. I ask you to join me in refusing to let this happen.

----------

The moral of the story is, if we are going to really be everything we can be as a community, it starts here; with us. We need to put aside some of the petty stuff, drop some of these divisions we've had over ego and start remembering what it means to be a true community. We need to work together to keep spreading the word and never feel like a new game will do all of the work for us.

I have a lot of things planned; but I need your help to make them happen, and each one of you has a part to play. Let's be remembered by how strong we were together and not by how we fall apart when the going gets rough. Let's be remembered for the way we support each other and not for the way we bash each other on Twitter.

I'd love to see us become more self-sufficient (Smash is a great example), but no one is going to hand that to us; we have to work for it. And it's not going to happen if people are busy tearing each other down because of where they live in the USA or the fact that they play The Other Game.

So please.. Think about the future -- let's build it together. Let's be more cohesive, more unified, more organized, and smarter than we've ever been. What's coming next is ours for the taking. Do not wait for April 2015; START TODAY.

TLDR I know; but the short of it is, I love you guys, I love these games, love this community, and I think it'd be awesome if we can be the best we can be.

@CD jr @Tom Brady @EMPEROR_THEO @FOREVER KING @GGA 16 Bit @GGA Dizzy

Last edited:
Like, I'm pretty sure 99% of us are all guilty that we wanted Injustice to come out ASAP to replace MK9 because we wanted a new, more balanced game...

Well, I regret saying that because I wish MK9 was still alive today. But it's not. It's dead.
I don't like to play Injustice, but I don't want it to die for the people that play it. I still like to watch and support it.

I hope when MKX comes out, Injustice isn't shoved to the side. I have strong urges to play MK9, but almost noone plays it now.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Crimson, we tried to make something happen with IJS and look how it crashed and burn. The only way MKX will become big in the comptetitive scene is with the help of NRS and WB. We can only do so much buddy.

@CrimsonShadow, we will know how this will turn out when MKX comes out. If ppl start just dropping IGAU by the way side, we'll know that with every new game that comes out in this community, we'll let the older game just die. I am one for uniting our community which is why I made a plan for the "broken or OP" characters of the future that will annoy and anger many players. I'll probably PM u about it soon.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Crimson, we tried to make something happen with IJS and look how it crashed and burn. The only way MKX will become big in the comptetitive scene is with the help of NRS and WB. We can only do so much buddy.
I hear where you're coming from Cossner. One thing I've learned from a lot of experience in business though:

Big companies like Warner Bros. only want to throw the weight of their company's name and the breadth of their financial support behind something if it's attractive to them. Things are attractive when they are well-organized, presented well, and demonstrate intrinsic financial value. No major company wants to take the risk of officially backing something which has no sort of organizational support, or backing a situation in which the spokespeople of the community are busier tearing each other and both of the games down than actually supporting and promoting the community itself.

So if we want to be attractive to big business, we need an actual plan behind it. Capcom's community has a pretty well-established support network that's been in place for years; but that network isn't going to support every single game. We have to build our own.

If you want money from people, you need to show them that they're backing something which will make them look good and won't crumble under the weight.

Moving forward, we need to unify our stream community and promote/advertise each other's streams and events. We need to better organize our tournament scene and get a season going, or some sort of structure that fans can follow. And we need to work hard to make sure that each event is the best it can be -- because for a company like NRS or WB to get behind a stream of a game being shown to the world, and then have said stream not appear or start 5 hours late looks terrible from an investor's perspective; and it's not the kind of thing any company wants to lend support to.

If we want any kind of help, we need to first shape up and make this look like a cohesive and attractive community to support.

Last edited:

SZSR

Noob
Games don't last forever man, even Marvel 2 probably the longest living fighter of the FGC ran its course when Marvel 3 came out. We have to make the most of it now while we can.

I feel part of the problem is that we're not as encouraging to new players as we should be. The people who don't do as well at tournies, or don't show up for reason of being blown up.

We just need all the community together, those who are willing and able should try their darndest to make it out to tournies. At Final Round this year we only had 35 entrants in MK9, compared to the 123 we had the first year.

It's not like the community got any smaller (on the contrary it grew), but it's not exactly encouraging when you have a handful of top players going "Kabal this, Kenshi that, screw these resets" etc etc. other people hear about it.

Look at CDjr's thread about the random guys he met at the gym. The top players have more influence than they think, and should start using it to help push people out the door. Even as little as something as welcoming them to a tournament.

Last edited:
Dam, I was just about to make a thread shaming the entire community for letting MK: Deception die- and then publicly promising to not complain about characters that are clearly dominating tournaments until a year later when everyone has already lost interest in competing in a broken game.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Judging from the past. There will be 3 versions of mkx.
Vanilla. DLC. Komplete edition.
Then there's mkx pre/post patch.
Then there's mkx ps vita.
Imagine if everyone played the vita version at tournaments. Yeah bring your own vita

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Games don't last forever man, even Marvel 2 probably the longest living fighter of the FGC ran its course when Marvel 2 came out. We have to make the most of it now while we can.

I feel part of the problem is that we're not as encouraging to new players as we should be. The people who don't do as well at tournies, or don't show up for reason of being blown up.

We just need all the community together, those who are willing and able should try their darndest to make it out to tournies. At Final Round this year we only had 35 entrants in MK9, compared to the 123 we had the first year.

It's not like the community got any smaller (on the contrary it grew), but it's not exactly encouraging when you have a handful of top players going "Kabal this, Kenshi that, screw these resets" etc etc. other people hear about it.

Look at CDjr's thread about the random guys he met at the gym. The top players have more influence than they think, and should start using it to help push people out the door. Even as little as something as welcoming them to a tournament.
It all comes down to if newcomers are willing to commit to FG's and win the tourneys. From what I see almost every tourney, regional, or casual Its always the top players winning. It's like "Ehh the same top player wins the tourney, what else is new" they fear that they are gonna get their ass handed to them (which probably they will) can you blame them that they dont want to go to a tourney and come all that way get their ass kicked, and then go? Its good that they try, but in their mind set they want to win without even trying.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yall dont want a real talk thread. Real talk, fuck this shit. This community has been nothing but whiners, fucking babies, and scrubs, level up. So scared of losing youd rather not play then look bad. Oh well I was decent at mk9 so igau sucks cause i cant block anymore. Oh MK9 sucks cause kabal. CAUSE KABAL, CAUSE MMH, CAUSE ARES IS BROKEN? Fucking excuses, 1 billion threads a day 95% complaining. So called top players get the hollywood treatment like there fucking divas, no they are either tier whores or dont have a job. Want to praise someone? Front page someone? Do it to the players who really matter, the ones you dont see, or do see, but not give a shit to acknowledge. I hope you all suck dick at MKX, fun sunday rant out.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Yall dont want a real talk thread. Real talk, fuck this shit. This community has been nothing but whiners, fucking babies, and scrubs, level up. So scared of losing youd rather not play then look bad. Oh well I was decent at mk9 so igau sucks cause i cant block anymore. Oh MK9 sucks cause kabal. CAUSE KABAL, CAUSE MMH, CAUSE ARES IS BROKEN? Fucking excuses, 1 billion threads a day 95% complaining. So called top players get the hollywood treatment like there fucking divas, no they are either tier whores or dont have a job. Want to praise someone? Front page someone? Do it to the players who really matter, the ones you dont see, or do see, but not give a shit to acknowledge. I hope you all suck dick at MKX, fun sunday rant out.
PREACH!!!!!!! PREACH!!!!!!!!!!

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Someone already said it, but I think a lot of people were in fact just waiting for IGAU due to the problems in MK9. I was even a part of that, but I had no idea I wouldn't have fun playing it, so I as well, regret saying the things I did. I wish everyone was still playing MK9, but that isn't gonna happen. With that said, I can see history repeating itself, but I truly hope it doesn't.

damn, and the sad thing is, this is very true as these things have and still happen all the time on tym. If u dnt have anything good to say, then just keep it to yourself. No point in going berserk on the forums, that doesn't solve or help anything tbh. Luckily I have a plan for when MKX comes out :)

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
damn, and the sad thing is, this is very true as these things have and still happen all the time on tym. If u dnt have anything good to say, then just keep it to yourself. No point in going berserk on the forums, that doesn't solve or help anything tbh. Luckily I have a plan for when MKX comes out :)
Hey Im not kissing ass to anybody, but he's just being real, and what he said I see it all the time .

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
DAYUUM, and here I was trying to be civil. Basically all of this ^^^^.

We all act like these characters aren't beatable, but in reality, a lot of you simply aren't good at fighting games. Kabal, for example, didn't exactly win every match up 10-0. Where was Kabal towards the end? The people that had time really flushed out the match up extensively. I hate Kabal with the passion of christ, but my main concern with MK9 was the fucking bugs and glitches/inputs. Now I'm stuck walking the endless void until the next MK comes out, but I'm not gonna take that game lightly. I've learned my lesson. Gonna be balls deep in that shit.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Stop speaking in your secret code like some back alley assassin. Spill the beans.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
I hear where you're coming from Cossner. One thing I've learned from a lot of experience in business though:

Big companies like Warner Bros. only want to throw the weight of their company's name and the breadth of their financial support behind something if it's attractive to them. Things are attractive when they are well-organized, presented well, and demonstrate intrinsic financial value. No major company wants to take the risk of officially backing something which has no sort of organizational support, or backing a situation in which the spokespeople of the community are busier tearing each other and both of the games down than actually supporting and promoting the community itself.

So if we want to be attractive to big business, we need an actual plan behind it. Capcom's community has a pretty well-established support network that's been in place for years; but that network isn't going to support every single game. We have to build our own.

If you want money from people, you need to show them that they're backing something which will make them look good and won't crumble under the weight.

Moving forward, we need to unify our stream community and promote/advertise each other's streams and events. We need to better organize our tournament scene and get a season going, or some sort of structure that fans can follow. And we need to work hard to make sure that each event is the best it can be -- because for a company like NRS or WB to get behind a stream of a game being shown to the world, and then have said stream not appear or start 5 hours late looks terrible from an investor's perspective; and it's not the kind of thing any company wants to lend support to.

If we want any kind of help, we need to first shape up and make this look like a cohesive and attractive community to support.
So you're saying you want to make a regulatory organization for NRS games where all the TOs should subscribe, that upholds tournament rules, gathers sponsors, creates a network of players and advertises the tournament scene, similar to what sports do with "Federations" and that kind of stuff? That sounds very nice and a step forward, but who's gonna do it for free and how many people will actually respect it? If you wanna do something, you know that I can lend you my skills but it all sounds too dreamy.

Also Mr. Aquaman hit the nail in the head. MK9 had less numbers because people didn't want to get "exposed" in a game they don't practice anymore. That "we'll just sign up for both Injustice and MK9" mantra ended up being bullshit, and it was killed by egos. What a shame.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Also, lets be completely serious about this...IGAU was losing steam before MKX was even announced. People begged and bitched about MLG...well now you have it..oh wait...64 entrants with a week to go? lmao embarrassing. Damn, I'm glad this thread was created. Have a lot of shit I need to vent lol.

Stop speaking in your secret code like some back alley assassin. Spill the beans.
lol look up a thread called "this is for when mkx comes out" or just type in the search bar my profile name "MITDJT". Basically when mkx comes out, I'm going to create at PM chat where I will invite anyone who wants to join and this chat will be used to cooperatively break down any character that gets called "broken" or "OP" or etc. Also I would like the skypes or facebooks or twitters of anyone who would like to contribute to this effort. I'm doing this because I believe that it will not only be helpful, but it will be a lot more beneficial to everyone than just "oh this character is broken".

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Happy Father's Day to you too.