What's new

General/Other - Commando Commando Variation Discussion Thread

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I have been practicing on various ps4 pads with minimal success. I almost always get a f4 or a jump rather than a command throw. I think this variation is very good but the execution requirements might be too high for some pads. On my xbox its fine and I can command grab all day.

I might go kotal if I want an easy to use command grab.
Hmmm, I hadn't realized it was that bad as I have only used ps4 controller with it so far. I've been having some of the same troubles with command grabs, though I have made due so far. Maybe I'll get one of the 6 button pads.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
It seems that a lot of the forum is picking up cybernetic Kano over others. Any reason why?

I was labbing both Cyber and Cutthroat and it seems that Cutthroat has better strings? I like both but could use some guidance.

Throw knives to stop Scorpion from doing air demons, and when he wants to try and catch you with a ground one, do a preemptive Kano ball or just dash/run at him (Kano's knife recovery outside of Cybernetic is one of the fastest in the game IIRC). Kano can literally transverse the screen in like 3 dashes. Be sure to practice looking at Scorpion's hands for this. If his hand goes up it's an air demon (which gives you a few frames to react) if it goes down it's an air demon and if his arm goes forward to back it's a side (ho) demon.
I don't think its realistic to react to air demons with a knife, especially in online play. The tell is barely distinguishable from what I can see, and if you guess wrong and he does the ground demon he has all day to combo you even when you trade with him.

I just think this mix up is a bit too strong for how braindead it is to pull off. I've been sitting in practice mode trying to react to each that I recorded, and it is quite difficult.

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
How does 112 knife look on block? Can you get punished harder or easier than 112 choke?
its always better to do 112 with knife its not punishable while the choke is and u have the option to parry, ex cmd grab or poke out if ur oppenent isnt fast enough u dont have to hit confirm but u have to becarefull cuz they can duck the knife, its still better overall. im pretty sure 112 is 0 on block so u can poke them after a raw 112

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
You can actually do :l321 :l321 112 grab for 40/41% damage (+1% if jump punch) if your timing is perfect (no not practical, but possible :p). And just for the record, EX grab is pointless as it only adds 1% (with or without jump punch).
Oh I was referring to using EX grabs in my post to gain armor, and potentially armor through a string or special. I wouldn't end a combo with EX command grab, you're better off saving your meter for EX Knives for the +frames, EX Kanoball for wake up and as a combo extender, or EX command grabs for what I just mentioned. Sorry for the confusion! And also, cool combo!

OmGxBdON

im positive this goes for all variations but, down 1 for kano is a bad poking tool because its punishable. fightin a bot the other day and it checked me every time i did a down 1

FlappyDaniel

I like to mix it in and go for a choke right after it's blocked or if it hits. Catches people mashin' but I don't really do it against people if I think they'll punish it, and you can only really get away with it once or twice.

OmGxBdON

I like to mix it in and go for a choke right after it's blocked or if it hits. Catches people mashin' but I don't really do it against people if I think they'll punish it, and you can only really get away with it once or twice.
It's not worth it at all in my opinion u can do knives and it will still catch people mashing. Plus it's not easily punishable. Also it puts them in stun lock if hit for more pressure

Dwarfmp

Enthusiast
Oh I was referring to using EX grabs in my post to gain armor, and potentially armor through a string or special. I wouldn't end a combo with EX command grab, you're better off saving your meter for EX Knives for the +frames, EX Kanoball for wake up and as a combo extender, or EX command grabs for what I just mentioned. Sorry for the confusion! And also, cool combo!
I didn't think you meant that, I just added it for the record, just to find out. It's always good to know for sure and have the data. :)

cyke_out

Noob
It seems that a lot of the forum is picking up cybernetic Kano over others. Any reason why?

I was labbing both Cyber and Cutthroat and it seems that Cutthroat has better strings? I like both but could use some guidance.
Better space control. That it's really.

Plop

Noob
Hey so I think I've got my cyber Kano down. I wanna be able to main all 3 variations. I'm gonna try and tackle commando next, but I've never played a grappler before. Anyone got any tips on how all these tick throws work and stuff like that? What are the important things I need to know to play this variation?

FlappyDaniel

You need to be able to do a DBF first of all. That's been my biggest headache so far. Otherwise his tick throws are listed on front page.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
So I've been learning commando for certain matchups and I've noticed that I can lock people down and use meaty command grabs over and over.

What can people do to counter this? It seems way too effective.

I don't think its realistic to react to air demons with a knife, especially in online play. The tell is barely distinguishable from what I can see, and if you guess wrong and he does the ground demon he has all day to combo you even when you trade with him.

I just think this mix up is a bit too strong for how braindead it is to pull off. I've been sitting in practice mode trying to react to each that I recorded, and it is quite difficult.
you can just fuzzy guard scorpions mixup low->high as soon as you see the animation. makes the matchup A LOT easier.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
Commando Kano is just fun to use and I just LOVE how he makes opponents afraid to do anything on wake up when he's RIGHT next to them.

Cybernetic Kano has great space control and punishing. All about the mid-hitting knives and b23.

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag
im still pretty new to commando, but does he not have any juggle?
you can b312 in a corner, but in open space he has to njp to lauch.

add 32 a command grab and you'll get around 30%. he can do more but the lack of buffering and wonky hit box makes it an utter pain in the ass to do for me. Logic would dictate you input your next command asap, but if you do it to quick it won't register meaning timing is key.

I suppose it's not all bad as dropping the corner combos just usually gives you bout 20% anyway and leaves them in the corner, still look like an idiot when it does drop though.

I just realized that Kanos' ex counters are two frames now. I completely overlooked it when they fixed the frame data.
Is that faster than it was before? I been having a lot of success with his parry.

Anyone else feel kanos tick throws are not worth it? It seems like more than half the time my opponent don't block the tick that cancels into the throw, making the throw whiff. The only tick throw that seems worth it is ji4 and that's because if it hits the opponent gets knocked down so they can't punish.

I've had much more success just setting up throws with hit advantage, armor, and conditioning my opponent to block.

Tick throws just seem too much of a risk.

Last edited:

Zachara

Noob
Anyone else feel kanos tick throws are not worth it? It seems like more than half the time my opponent don't block the tick that cancels into the throw, making the throw whiff. The only tick throw that seems worth it is ji4 and that's because if it hits the opponent gets knocked down so they can't punish.

I've had much more success just setting up throws with hit advantage, armor, and conditioning my opponent to block.

Tick throws just seem too much of a risk.
The thing is you have to condition them to block then go to the command grabs.
If you notice they keep just taking the poke then start going for non-tick grabs or B312.
Against those who like to mash on wakeup I really like Dash up into EX-Command grab.