What's new

General/Other - Commando Commando Variation Discussion Thread

Is that faster than it was before? I been having a lot of success with his parry.

Anyone else feel kanos tick throws are not worth it? It seems like more than half the time my opponent don't block the tick that cancels into the throw, making the throw whiff. The only tick throw that seems worth it is ji4 and that's because if it hits the opponent gets knocked down so they can't punish.

I've had much more success just setting up throws with hit advantage, armor, and conditioning my opponent to block.

Tick throws just seem too much of a risk.
One set up I have is to do f33 then f33 again and cancel it into command grab for the tick throw. If they aren't blocking enough then the first F33, usually the second low hit will catch them. Then if you throw it out again immediately afterwards they will almost always block it, THEN you can tick throw them. In my experience anyway.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
One thing I keep meaning to look into is whether we have any effective non-canceled ticks. I don't think so based on the frame data, but it's worth looking into.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Sorry if this is something that has already been discussed, but you can technically command grab Mileena out of her X ray. Also, sometimes, if you don't grab her, she ends up jumping back after the first kick

Also, apologies for my amazing input abilities

CanadianBaconX

Let's see how long this lasts...
@DougDFC Trying to do what you had in the video actually made me stumble upon some interesting and dumb ways to avoid and punish her X-Ray. Like why can we low profile an overhead x-ray? Or why does her X-Ray just stop if you block her x-ray by walking forward to make it cross up?

Low Profiling with D4, does allow you to punish with 112 which is optimal for both Commando and Cybernetics but, I did notice the timing on the punish is rather tight, like you need to react really quickly to the x-ray's activation.

I found it was easier to punish by blocking the x-ray cross up. The best way I can get it to go, is by taking a small step forward right as Mileena reappears at the top of the screen for the first telekick. The interesting thing about this is that the punish window is much larger. It's large enough that with Cutthroat you can actually punish with F212.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner

So you ever feel like being yolo with a tick throw but you don't wanna get bamboozled? Say no more, this set up gotchu. Only thing the opponent can do is back dash, or block and bait it. Make sure you let go of the stick when you do this OS otherwise ex comes out no matter what.

Last edited:

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
You said let go of the stick, does this just mean you can't hold forward while pressing 4 + EX? I guess i can't tell what you're doing extra to make it OS between the two.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
You said let go of the stick, does this just mean you can't hold forward while pressing 4 + EX? I guess i can't tell what you're doing extra to make it OS between the two.
Yeah, if you're on an arcade stick let the stick go to neutral and if you're on a pad just don't move. Unless I'm wrong (Since I was testing this at like 4 in the morning yesterday) but it seems this OS only works when you aren't holding a direction.

And that's the best part about this OS, I'm really not doing anything extra at all, it's just plinking block with your 4, or delaying your block very slightly so you won't burn a bar on your yolo attempt unless they ex.

Wait, aren't you playing on PC? Because chances are, this may not even work on the patched console versions.

Could someone test this on console to make sure?

Rager Da Prince

I can't help my Fiction addiction.
Counters!
Note: Before I get started, I didn't bother to test against projectiles or X-Rays because they are un-counterable.
Legend
High Counter= HC
Low Counter=LC
[Name]=Character
/Ex= The meter burn version can be countered the same way.

[Cassie Cage]
Getaway Flip/Ex: HC
Glow Kick/Ex: HC. You can HC her even during the dive part in the ex version.
Nut Kracker/Ex: HC
Take Down: LC
Bow Breaker: LC
The American Way: Neither

[D'vorah]
Ovipositor Charge/Ex: HC

[Ermac]
Teleport/Ex: HC
Tele-Hold/Ex: Neither
Hover Teleport: Neither
Soul Charge/Ex: HC
Soul Accession normals: neither
Ground Slam: neither

[Erron black]
Sand Slide/Ex: LC
Sand Trap/Ex: HC
Swing Shot: HC
Tarkatan Stab/Ex: HC

[Ferra/Torr]
Back Breaker/Ex: HC
Boulder Roll/Ex: neither
Torr Charge/Ex: HC
Torr Up/Ex: neither
Deep Stab/Ex: HC
Tuck'n'Charge/Ex: HC. Can HC both the initial overhead and the charging part.
Little Cutter/Ex: HC

[Jacqueline Briggs]
Forces Rush/Ex: HC
Bionic Dash/Ex: HC
Gauntlet Strike/Ex: HC

[Jason]
N/A

[Jax]
Dash Punch/Ex: HC
Dash Punch OH/Ex: HC
Major Pain/EX: HC
Gotcha Beatdown/Ex: HC
Super Gotcha/Ex: HC
Quad Grab/Ex: HC

[Johnny Cage]
Shadow Kick/Ex: HC
Nut Punch/Ex: HC
FlipKick/Ex: HC
Rising Shadow/Ex: HC

[Goro]
Stomp: neither
Krush(ex stomp): HC only on his rising part.
Punch Walk/Ex: HC
Shokan Grab/Ex: LC
Chest Lunge/Ex: HC
Fang Spin/Ex: HC

[Kano]
Kano Ball/Ex: HC. Only on first hit
Up Ball/Ex: HC Only on first hit
Choke/Ex: HC
Power Slam/Ex: HC
Rib Strike/Ex: HC
Blade Slice/Ex: HC
Eye Blast/Ex: neither

[Kenshi]
Rising Blade/Ex: HC
Spinning Blade/Ex: HC

[Kitana]
Assassin Strike/Ex: HC
Shadow Kick/Ex: HC
Staff Grab/Ex: Neither
Throat Slice/Ex: Neither
Square Boost/Ex: Neither

[Kotal Kahn]
Saw Blade/Ex: HC
OH Sword Strike/Ex: HC
Sword Sweep/Ex: HC
Sword Shake/Ex: Neither
Sun God Choke/Ex: HC

[Kung Jin]
Lunge Kick/Ex: Neither
Cartwheel Drop/Ex: Neither
Bo Swat/Ex: HC
Bo Swing/Ex: HC
Low Bo Swing/Ex: LC
Up Kick/Ex: Neither
Dive Kick: Neither

[Kung Lao]
Spin: HC
Cyclone(ex tempest spin): Neither
Vortex(ex spin): Neither
Teleport/Ex: All options can be HC

[Liu Kang]
Flying Kick/Ex: Neither
Dragon's Roar/Ex: HC
Windmill Punch/Ex: HC
Bicycle Kick/Ex: Neither

[Mileena]
Tele-Kick/Ex: HC
Ball Roll/Ex: HC
High Pounce: HC
Low Pounce: Neither

[Predator]
N/A

[Quan Chi]
Sky Drop/Ex: Neither

[Radian]
Electric Fly/Ex: HC
Electrocute/Ex: HC
Rising Thunder/Ex: HC

[Reptile]
Reptilian Dash/Ex: HC
Slide/Ex: LC
Klaw Pounce/Ex: HC
Kale Swipe: HC

[Scorpion]
Teleport/Ex: HC
Takedown/Ex: LC

[Shinnok]
Charging Shoulder/Ex: HC
Stolen Power: HC
Scepter Slam/Ex: LC
Scepter Strike/Ex: Neither

[Sonya Blade]
Arc Kick/Ex: HC
Leg Grab/Ex: HC
Military Stance Follow ups:
Grab or 1: Neither
Low Launcher: HC
OH Launcher: HC

[Sub-Zero]
Slide/Ex: LC
Frost Hammer/Ex: Neither

[Takeda]
Tornado Strike/Ex: HC
Fist Flurry/Ex: HC
Teleport/Ex:HC. The second part the Ex can be LC but you must jump the first hit.

[Tanya]
N/A

[Tremor]
N/A

Last edited:

ando1184

Noob
Ok idk if you guys already know this but I was fighting an erron black online today and he would constantly do his f13 string for pressure. That's the overhead into low string, well I could high counter the overhead but sometimes he would whiff so I would go to low counter the low. Well guys the low counter cannot counter the 2nd hit at all. I kept getting hit and then comboed. So I went to the lab to see if this was just online Mumbo jumbo and low and behold you really can't counter it with the low counter. I then tried the high counter and guess what, it worked! Wtf kinda sense does that make?!? Anyway long story short, high counter erron blacks f13 string.

CanadianBaconX

Let's see how long this lasts...
Ok idk if you guys already know this but I was fighting an erron black online today and he would constantly do his f13 string for pressure. That's the overhead into low string, well I could high counter the overhead but sometimes he would whiff so I would go to low counter the low. Well guys the low counter cannot counter the 2nd hit at all. I kept getting hit and then comboed. So I went to the lab to see if this was just online Mumbo jumbo and low and behold you really can't counter it with the low counter. I then tried the high counter and guess what, it worked! Wtf kinda sense does that make?!? Anyway long story short, high counter erron blacks f13 string.
I think I might have to go through every string cause that isn't the only one like that... (I know I posted this in the parry thread already but still)

ando1184

Noob
I think I might have to go through every string cause that isn't the only one like that... (I know I posted this in the parry thread already but still)

Wow, this shit makes no sense lol. I hope NRS fixes this actually. If they don't then yes a breakdown of all the strings would really help

ando1184

Noob
How do you guys feel about the ermac matchup? Master of souls var. because I played a good one online today and I couldn't figure out how to punish his strings and pokes. I punished teleport and his overhead kick but everything else felt super safe and he constantly pressured me and beat me out on everything. The matchup was really annoying and felt uphill the entire time.

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
How do you guys feel about the ermac matchup? Master of souls var. because I played a good one online today and I couldn't figure out how to punish his strings and pokes. I punished teleport and his overhead kick but everything else felt super safe and he constantly pressured me and beat me out on everything. The matchup was really annoying and felt uphill the entire time.
Have u tried parrying.

Dukmunky

Arms Dealer, including all 4 of Goro's
I'm dying here trying to get commando's bnb combo with ball cancel, dash, njp - ddffu1 has got to be one of the hardest inputs on a stick, AND you have to hold block while hitting DD before the dash. I wish there was an alternative combo

I'm dying here trying to get commando's bnb combo with ball cancel, dash, njp - ddffu1 has got to be one of the hardest inputs on a stick, AND you have to hold block while hitting DD before the dash. I wish there was an alternative combo
lol since when does he have a bnb? mind sharing the inputs? thx.

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
Yeah when I was first down the combo its was a bitch u just gotta keep practice tho it's his only way to get past 30% midscreen

They should change the kano ball cancel input to forward,forward. Down, down is just stupid. If scorpion can cancel fire ball with a dash, kano can cancel ball with a dash on hit.