What's new

General/Other - Commando Commando Variation Discussion Thread

Kyu

CHOO CHOO BANE TRAIN
I could use some experience vs Kano, I play Subzero. Mainly looking for commando or cyber. PSN is emperor sqq muscles add me for some games I'll be on tomorrow.

Hello Lovelies!

Here's some tech that I was messing around with earlier. It may have been discovered already, but I hope it helps someone. At least conceptually, it seems sound.

Let me know what you guys think! Details are in the description of the video.

I'm simply just not fast enough to pull this off consistently... commando kano is such a beast in the right hands...why are grapplers so hard to play on this game!??!

Viridian7

Ear to Ear.
Hello Lovelies!

Here's some tech that I was messing around with earlier. It may have been discovered already, but I hope it helps someone. At least conceptually, it seems sound.

Let me know what you guys think! Details are in the description of the video.

That's a nice meterless 32% you've got going in there. :D in the description you mention moves that beat it by being faster than rib breaker, I think as soon as the opp. Figures out that way of beating the set up, that's when you hit em with the high counter at the end instead. That's when people will really get salty!

Heartwire

Awesomesauce
For some reason whenever I try to combo in to Kano's command grabs (Apart from the choke) it whiffs everytime.
any idea what I'm doing wrong?

demosz

Noob
For some reason whenever I try to combo in to Kano's command grabs (Apart from the choke) it whiffs everytime.
any idea what I'm doing wrong?
What are you using to combo into them? Just 112? F33? 2F4?B13? These strings will cause all command grabs but Choke to whiff. Comboing into command grabs that aren't Choke requires a juggled target.

Heartwire

Awesomesauce
What are you using to combo into them? Just 112? F33? 2F4?B13? These strings will cause all command grabs but Choke to whiff. Comboing into command grabs that aren't Choke requires a juggled target.
Yeah those combo's seem to whiff.
Thanks for the info.
Wish Kano had more combo's available to him in the Commando Variant, sadly can't juggle anyone mid screen without using a NJ2 apparently

Viridian7

Ear to Ear.
Yeah those combo's seem to whiff.
Thanks for the info.
Wish Kano had more combo's available to him in the Commando Variant, sadly can't juggle anyone mid screen without using a NJ2 apparently
I hear that. I kinda understand no overhead, our options for pressure would probably be a little much with a string overhead as well, but I certainly think we should have a non nj2 string that ends in a juggle state that works in mid screen if 2/3 grabs whiff without it. But hey! It's week 1.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
We have fast normals in B1,F4,D4,3. And I'm sure others as well as a couple quick strings with one starting low (B312). our mix up game is based on frametraps I think. Making people afraid to mash out strings and stuff to give us windows to command grab. As well as conditioning them to block low or high and go for tick throws.

Commando Kano is most definitely based on advantage on block and tick command throws.

Nearly all of his normals and strings leave him at -1 or 0, and his D1, D3, and D4 can be cancelled to command throw on block. D4 is especially dangerous, because it gives his Rib Breaker INSANE range.

Harass the opponent with D4 until they start blocking low, and then that's when you can cancel into Rib Breaker. If D4 hits, you're at advantage and can advance with something like B1.

I can't stress enough how good B1 is. This move is nuts. It hits mid, comes out in 8 frames, and is 0 on block. It has an insane hitbox and is a very good anti air... which is useful if they start to catch on to your D4 xx Rib Breaker. You can jump out of the command throw if you block the D4... but only if you cancel into it. If you catch them jumping after a blocked D4, just B1 into a combo.

Also, his B13 string is a good way to advance safely, and is -1 on block. As a grappler, B1 is definitely one of your go-tos.

His EX command throws give you great reversal options, and let you decide what side you want to end on. In the corner, Kano starts to get really scary because you have to guess between attack or command throw. He has a setup to beat certain Armor Reversals as well, as I highlighted in my previous post. Check it out if you have the time, and make sure to read the description!

Overall, I think Commando Kano is a really strong variation. It forces your opponent to either eat the command grab, or NOT BLOCK in order to escape.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
To add on to what Exceed is saying, don't forget this guy has a projectile that's relatively fast. Remember that in certain matchups you DON'T have to be the aggressor, that's where his parry comes in. The best thing I've found about Commando Kano is that the nature of this variation sets the tone for the match. People don't wanna press buttons because of parries, nor do they want you to get close enough to start applying pressure, because of this he has this Zangief vibe to him.

and @Exceed^ I found a OS from your video that literally doesn't come out unless they reversal SPECIFICALLY with an armored ex move.

Ps.you can block the back dash punish in the first few seconds, I didn't set the bot to hold block long enough. .0.

Pss. If you're curious about my OS testings please look at my Kano OS test thread!!

@DaiHuu Good stuff! It's all about putting our heads together and really exploring what Kano can do! I'll take a look and do a little research into the technique.

The main reason I used D3 in my video is because if they block, the command grab still hits. It's pretty much the d3 tick throw, but meaty.

I've also found that hitting Rib Breaker in the corner gives you a good setup each time. I've been using D3 xx Rib Breaker, or B312. It's a pretty nasty mixup.

Icarus

Need a Light?
Love this variation. The combination of grabs, parries, and standard Kano pressure gives him a lot of versatility. The mind games are real.

Tazar

Noob
[QUmyfdguuhgfrOTE="HoneyBadgerBJJ, post: 1666488, member: 36629"]really think I'm onto something with command kano...
it
Am I stuck playing neutral after choke at midscreen? Is there any way to apply pressure?
yesbhonestly yoy aee.
right no
really think I'm onto something with command kano...

right nowgsf
Am I stuck playing neutral after choke at midscreen? Is there any way to apply pressure?
in most
I'm destroying people less skilled then me as he seems to eat noobies up...armouring command grabs and parrying, most noobs just can't deal with

however struggling with similar skilled opponents....I seem to only get 20% chunks of damage in at a time where as some else will punish me for a 35 plus combo...

you have to be really consistent with commando I feel since you lack crazy combos

what strategies are people here employing ?
my
really think I'm onto something with command kano...

right now I'm destroying people less skilled then me as he seems to eat noobies up...armouring command grabs and parrying, most noobs just can't deal with

however struggling with similar skilled opponents....I seem to only get 20% chunks of damage in at a time where as some else will punish me for a 35 plus combo...

you have to be really consistent with commando I feel since you lack crazy combos

what strategies are people here employing ?
my
w I'm destroying people less skilled then me as he seems to eat noobies up...armouring command grabs and parrying, most noobs just can't deal with

what strategies are people here employing ?[/QUOTE]
mstratergy

Dwarfmp

Enthusiast
Corner Meterless

B+3, 1, 2 > 3,2 > 1,1 > 1,1,2 Grab that bitch
You can actually do :l321 :l321 112 grab for 40/41% damage (+1% if jump punch) if your timing is perfect (no not practical, but possible :p). And just for the record, EX grab is pointless as it only adds 1% (with or without jump punch).

Problem with these moves though, is that I can only pull off the those :d:l:r specials less than half of the time...

With X-ray, you can do 51% in the corner when you do :l321 :l321 11 X-ray (with or without jump punch).

From what's been gathered so far he can counter pretty much anything thats not a projectile or true jump in, and some vertical ports like Goro stomp. So go head and let them burn that meter on wake up. :D

Edit: Also he can't counter backwards, so if you have scorpion-esque port to deal with, its better to anticipate this and punish accordingly.
That's odd, cause I specifically tried with Scorpion Teleport, I had to counter before he teleported, and he countered it (from his back).

Last edited:

FlappyDaniel

Yeah it stuffs scorpion's. Scorpion is actually one of our easiest matchups I've been finding so far. Now granted I've been mostly fighting online scorpions who clearly bought the game, put it in, and decided to go STRAIGHT to online ranked before learning anything about the game or anything about any character...so take it how you will lol. But we can punish his teleport amazingly well with either the parry or by blocking it and hittin him with 11,choke.

Does anybody have a more efficient punish then 11,choke? I'd love to be getting more damage off of my quick hit confirm into choke situations.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Yeah it stuffs scorpion's. Scorpion is actually one of our easiest matchups I've been finding so far. Now granted I've been mostly fighting online scorpions who clearly bought the game, put it in, and decided to go STRAIGHT to online ranked before learning anything about the game or anything about any character...so take it how you will lol. But we can punish his teleport amazingly well with either the parry or by blocking it and hittin him with 11,choke.

Does anybody have a more efficient punish then 11,choke? I'd love to be getting more damage off of my quick hit confirm into choke situations.
why not do 112? why just 11? On the ground you are best served by 112~ender. If they're in the air and your having problems getting 112 just use 3,2 instead. Far more consistent for me especially online where lag is the real opponent, but it's a bit less damage. Also I find that 112, ball is better since choke gives terrible advantage. Think it's -5 or something laughable like that. At least with Ball I can dash or run up and have time to armor or go for a meaty. I need to test more but it seems that anytime they're airborne that the cmd throws will connect so I would assume they will on punishes as well when they're recovering in the air.

FlappyDaniel

Yes I meant 112 just didn't type it lol. That's a good point about using ball instead though. Can you link Regular and Up ball? or just regular? I know you can also EX the Kano ball and cancel it to keep the juggle going if you want to spend meter.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
I'd have to test it later when I get on. But I believe both balls will work. IMO in commando unless you'll win the match/round or leave them with a shread of health I wouldn't use a combo that includes a ball cancel unless your outplaying them to a solid degree. Save that meter for armored grabs.

Wow 112~Kano ball ender is so much better than choke. Thanks for that. I care less about the damage and more about advantage especially midscreen.

You should be ending your midscreen combos with straight ball for sure. Ball gives you a hard knockdown and pushes farther, and Commando Kano benefits so much from cornering an opponent.

The only thing I see Choke being really useful for is a far Anti Air since it has a good hitbox. Maybe it could be used for setups in the corner, but Rib Breaker fills that role pretty well.

Last edited:
I've put in a couple of days of trying, on and off as patience will allow... I cannot seem to get the ex ball (cancel) into dash jn1 to connect. It seems like no matter how feverishly I try, I can't cancel the ball soon enough. The doubletap down has to come after the first hit of the ball in the combo:

112, kano cancel, dash, jn1, run cancel, 32, 112, command grab.

I can get the second half pretty reliably, or at least reliably enough that I feel I'm making progress with muscle memory over time. I just hit the brick wall of the ball cancel into dash jn1 and it's getting frustrating... is there anything special to the timing?